SCT X4 OBD2 plug issue - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-07-2015, 05:08 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
SCT X4 OBD2 plug issue

I purchased a SCT tuner from MPT this week, got it in the mail today. I updated the drivers and installed it onto my laptop. Everything is was great. Next step head out to my car and plug it in. I get down on my knees to see the OBD2 port on my car and try pushing in the cable from the tuner. Hmmm didn't go. Must of had it backwards. Nope. I tried again and it still didn't go. I then got on the phone with MPT to get some help. Maybe I missed something. JR was as helpful as he could and suggested I try it on another car. That didn't plug in either. He told me to call SCT directly and have them replace the cord. I spent a good half hour on the phone with a guy named Wyatt that was very helpful and concerned. He offered to replace the whole tuner and everything or wait till tomorrow morning when his supervisor comes in and he will authorize a overnight replacement for free. So my question is, did anyone else have that issue. Wyatt informed me that they got a bad batch and they are working to replace the cords. Now I'm waiting to even get my ECM code that MPT needs to write my tunes. Fun fun
Slater2111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2015, 05:36 PM   #2
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slater2111 View Post
I purchased a SCT tuner from MPT this week, got it in the mail today. I updated the drivers and installed it onto my laptop. Everything is was great. Next step head out to my car and plug it in. I get down on my knees to see the OBD2 port on my car and try pushing in the cable from the tuner. Hmmm didn't go. Must of had it backwards. Nope. I tried again and it still didn't go. I then got on the phone with MPT to get some help. Maybe I missed something. JR was as helpful as he could and suggested I try it on another car. That didn't plug in either. He told me to call SCT directly and have them replace the cord. I spent a good half hour on the phone with a guy named Wyatt that was very helpful and concerned. He offered to replace the whole tuner and everything or wait till tomorrow morning when his supervisor comes in and he will authorize a overnight replacement for free. So my question is, did anyone else have that issue. Wyatt informed me that they got a bad batch and they are working to replace the cords. Now I'm waiting to even get my ECM code that MPT needs to write my tunes. Fun fun
Sounds like they will get it taken care of. As far as the ecm code, isnt that on a sticker on the side of the ecm?

05 Gt Premium Performance White, flowmaster outlaws, Jlt Series 3, Bama 91r tune
natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 05:39 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by natestang07 View Post
Sounds like they will get it taken care of. As far as the ecm code, isnt that on a sticker on the side of the ecm?

05 Gt Premium Performance White, flowmaster outlaws, Jlt Series 3, Bama 91r tune
It will be taken care of. Which I'm happy for. It is on the car but MPT specifys not to use that and get the info directly off the tuner through the vehicle info.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2015, 05:41 PM   #4
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slater2111 View Post
It will be taken care of. Which I'm happy for. It is on the car but MPT specifys not to use that and get the info directly off the tuner through the vehicle info.
Hmm interesting, never heard that before. I believe it is different on my device than it is on my car now that you mention it.

natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 06:39 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Yea, according to MPT, Ford regularly updates their ECMs. So for all we know the ECM code is 12 years old now.
On a side note I am looking into upgrading my plenum and throttle body. I know for sure I want the C&L plenum because I've heard nothing but good reviews. As far as the throttle body I am looking at AM's SR brand 70 or 75mm TB. Any opinions on diameter? This will be a bolt on only N/A car in the end.
Old 01-09-2015, 02:04 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
I would just get the 75mm I don't think from what I have looked into on this that it will negatively effect anything being a little bigger, but you may not see any gains over the 70mm either though. Guess that doesn't answer anything lol, get either of them. I like the trick flow plenum / throttle body, from summit racing. Great price and have heard several folks rave about it.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Follow on Instagram @steviesstangs
15% off waxgods.com use code: manic15
10% off toplabel.com use code: Manic10
Steve96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 05:47 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

I was leaning towards the 70mm TB. I haven't been able to find the TF throttle body and plenum combo on summit.
For the good news, I got my replacement OBD2 cable today from fedex. Everything works great! I data logged and monitored engine parameters while driving around today! The X4 is so cool!!

Sent from the mothership.
Old 01-10-2015, 04:00 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

I see that summit has their throttle body for 149. I have heard it's the same thing as the trick flow one. I think I will pair this with the C&L plenum. I saw a 03 Gt at the base hobby shop today. He had a built 2V that was turbo. Stroked bottom end out to 5.3 liters trick flow heads and stage 4 cams. Victor Jr manifold and BBK intake with a 73mm turbo. He dynoed it on 93 pump gas and was 680HP. It was a complete sleeper and had a quiet exhaust.

Sent from the mothership.
Old 01-10-2015, 05:16 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Wow. That's impressive. Lots of $$$$. Awesome though. If you got it then do it right, lol

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Follow on Instagram @steviesstangs
15% off waxgods.com use code: manic15
10% off toplabel.com use code: Manic10
Steve96 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT