Blown head gasket - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-08-2015, 09:10 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Blown head gasket

So heres the deal I have a 98 gt with
170k and the head gasket went. I'm considering just throwing a different motor in on a strict budget and need to know what may or may not fit. Will all 4.6s bolt in or do they vary? I basically want a plug and play type of thing and if I can get a newer style motor with more power then I'm going to go for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Faststallion98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2015, 10:07 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Check out the "Aviator 4v swap" thread in the 96-04 GT section. They discuss a little and the OP goes through a swap with some good tips.
2014Vert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 10:56 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
for the most part, any 2v 4.6 should fit with ease. its the 4v and 3v that are possible, but more difficult. 5.4 will fit, but requires extra work, expense, and new hood. or at least modded hood.

for cheap, your best bet is to just grab a 2 valve with pi heads (99 to 04 mustang, or most 99 up crown vics, etc.) that way you get the benefit of the pi heads, an easy swap, and less cost.

Im wondering though, wuold be easier and cheaper to just get pi heads and a head gasket? or would most people suggest just dropping in a new engine?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2015, 05:51 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

I already have the pi heads they were done before I got the car. My concern is that the heads may be damaged which will cost me more to either replace or repair.

Old 01-08-2015, 07:17 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Yea you can get em checked first. Dont know where, maybe a machine shop. Ive always heard that you gotta check the heads for warping before replacing a head gasket. Otherwise itl leak again. Im betting easiest route is just rip it out and put another 2v in. Just try to find the lowest mileage and cleanest rear wrecked grand marquis you can find.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 01-08-2015, 08:46 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
Okay here is what I learned by switching 4.6 engines in my 1999 mustang GT.

Mustang engine differences (part 1)
-1999 got the PI engine
-1999 and 2000 engines were made in the Windsor plant
- That means they have 8 bolt mains holding the flywheel/flexplate on
- They also have different valve covers
- 2001+ got made in the romeo plant and has a 6 bolt main
- The 8 bolt flywheel can fit on the 6 bolt main if you drill the holes out a little bigger

Crown vic 4.6 engines (part 2)
-The PI long block found in the crown vics will work on the Mustang
-They're identical long blocks
-Crown vics/grand marquis didn't get the PI heads till 2001
-All PI vics/marquis have the 6 bolt flywheel/flex plate
-You have to put your flywheel on the new engine if the new engine is from an automatic car. The bellhousing will work and directly bolt to manuals
- The heater core hoses on the PI vics from 2003+ wont lign up conveniently to the mustang heater core.
- The coolant temp sensor on the 2003+ vics is in a spot that I haven't located yet, so swap the mustang intake over if you get one of those.

4.6 L trucks (part 3)
-The trucks were made at the Windsor plant and have 8 bolt mains
-That is the same as the 1999 and 2000 mustangs
-The trucks got the PI heads in 1999
-Im not sure about much more on the trucks.

I probably missed some stuff, but that is all useful and necessary info when it comes to picking out a donor vehicle.
Panther140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 06:23 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

That's some really good info thank you

Old 01-09-2015, 07:24 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

indeed. keep it handy in a notepad file on your computer, you will probably ending up pasting that from time to time.

all i know to add is that windsors are really the "truck" engine 4.6, and it was 99 to mid 01, so be careful dealing with 01 mustangs. could be a windsor in early 01, or a romeo in late 01. from what ive been told, check for a W or X in the vin code. of course, i have also been told that they are all X vin code, and i dont have a 99 nearby to go check.
Old 01-09-2015, 07:56 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Much appreciated I work for a limousine company and we deal with a used cop car dealer which we get parts from for the town cars. My plan is to see what kind of deal I can get on a motor from them.

Old 01-10-2015, 02:11 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

So it has been brought to my attention that my issue may lie within the intake manifold itself and not the head gasket. Anyone have any issue like this?

Old 01-10-2015, 09:04 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

What are the symptoms? These engines are hard to kill a head gasket. Usually gotta overheat it pretty bad. Father in law had a house burst in a explorer and its doing good now. The intake man gasket can go pretty easily. I had a bit of a leak At 148k miles.

Sent from my LG-D800 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 01-11-2015, 09:51 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Blown head gasket

I had cooling issues one night while on a road call and I must have had that temp gauge pinned at least 6 times before i got back to my shop. I flushed the system a few times and it was fine for about three weeks then one day it started running really rough. When I finally got a chance to look at it I found that I had consumed quite a bit of coolant and that some of it was in cylinder 3. It's a dorman intake if that makes any bit of difference.

Old 01-11-2015, 02:23 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Scrap that intake. Get a ford racing pi intake and go get some felpro gaskets. Coolant was in cylinder 3 as in the spark plug well or below the plug? Also, how does the oil look. Milky? Get the coolant take tested for hydrocarbons. If there are a lot of hydrocarbons in the coolant tank, then combustion gasses are reaching your coolant, usually via bad head gasket. But if its leaking thru the valve cover, then its a simple fix and can cause bad combustion in a cyl or 2.

Old 01-12-2015, 07:26 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

The coolant was in top of the piston itself. The oil is fine and the coolant looked like mud for a long time before I was able to flush it out. I'm going to price out a new intake and hope it's not to much.

Old 01-12-2015, 07:41 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Im not positive, but i kinda wanna say that if the oil looks okay, then you might be fine as far as the head gasket goes. it sounds like theres a coolant leak into your intake, and its entering the combustion chamber through there. I would figure, if oil is getting into your coolant, then coolant should be getting into your oil as well, right? the muddy coolant could just be rust and combustion gasses.

the problem with the dorman intake is that you have to use their gaskets on their poor quality design. I would buy those gaskets, and slap em on. if it helps the problem and keeps the coolant out, then call it solved.
Otherwise, it will either still have a problem because the intake itself has failed, or it is not the source of the issue. If it is, then down the road i would suggest switching to the ford racing intake. A buddy of mine had a vacuum leak with his dorman,and said the ford racing intake was quieter as well.

http://www.stangnet.com/mustang-foru...mptoms.826676/ this is a good read. I may be wrong about the intake gasket leaking into a cylinder tho.
Old 01-12-2015, 08:09 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Oh and i just wanted to add, theres a few variables here. you said that it consumed a lot of coolant. was this after the flush? sometimes its hard to keep track of the coolant when i flush it, so i usualy keep an eye on it and end up having to add more as it cycles through.

You said its running rough, like a misfire in the cylinder full of coolant? also, how much smoke is comin out of the tailpipe?
did you determine a cause for the overheating? besides coolant in the cylinder and possible bad head gasket?
A loss of pressure can mess with your cooling system.
but before you change those gaskets up top, i would do a pressure test on the cooling system. when you do that, pull the spark plug and give a listen to the suspected cylinder. then change the gasket, and try again.

Keep us updated.
Old 01-12-2015, 08:57 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
My intake recently went out on me. At first my car started getting hot once in a while, thought it was the thermostat and changed it and went on. A few days later I noticed my coolant was low, didn't think much of it hadn't seen any smoke just filled it up and went on. Then it started to get cold out, my heater took a long time to get warm and i was still losing coolant slowly but never seen any drips on the ground or coolant on the motor. Went on an hour or so drive and after I shut the car off I noticed a little smoke under the hood. Still didnt see any antifreeze. Started my car back up and watched under the hood, My intake had a little crack near the thermostat housing. I couldn't see it with the intake on, but after the fluid got warm and the thermostat opened it would begin to leak a little, but as soon as it touched the engine it burnt up. If I was you I would start it, watch for a leak.. hope its a cracked intake and not a head gasket.... but by the sound of it I think you might have one. A low mileage motor swap wouldn't be bad though!

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Sbales88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 11:38 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

The cause of it overheating was the coolant being muddy as hell and it clogged my system up and it consumed coolant before and after the flush. The car has never smoked once and still isn't. When I get time I'm going to pull it back into the garage and look at the intake better. I may do the swap if the deal is right. I'm really hoping it's just the intake but if not I may be getting an 09 crown Vic motor plus install for 900

Old 01-12-2015, 12:02 PM   #19
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
With the miles on the motor I'd just do the $900 motor and install that is a real good deal to not have to worry about anything.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 12:24 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

thats a really nice price. either way, until then i would try the gaskets if you dont mind spending a little bit of time on the top of the engine. that way, you have time to keep your eyes open for the lowest mileage crown vic swap you can get, unless this is like a once in a lifetime chance for 900.
Old 01-12-2015, 02:51 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

I wouldn't say it's a once in a lifetime it's just what one of our parts suppliers has available plus he gives a warranty. My big thing is that I haven't let anyone work on the thing since I got it except for when it had to get bodywork.

Old 01-12-2015, 06:34 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
Quote:
Originally Posted by fenixignition View Post
indeed. keep it handy in a notepad file on your computer, you will probably ending up pasting that from time to time.

all i know to add is that windsors are really the "truck" engine 4.6, and it was 99 to mid 01, so be careful dealing with 01 mustangs. could be a windsor in early 01, or a romeo in late 01. from what ive been told, check for a W or X in the vin code. of course, i have also been told that they are all X vin code, and i dont have a 99 nearby to go check.
My 99 has an X in the vin code. I think lol
Panther140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 08:03 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Yea last i checked, i think they should. X is either pi heads or trucks. Im thinkin pi heads.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT