Torque App? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-08-2015, 09:42 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
Torque App?

So I am looking at getting an OBD2 to Bluetooth plug to run the torque app.

Do any of you have this app? I am hoping that it will be a cheap way for me to track my AFRs a little bit so I can tune my carb in better. I also want the feature that it has where it gives you a close idea of how much rwhp your car is making. Do any of you have this app on your stang? Does it somewhat accurately tell you things like afr and horsepower?
How well does it do with reading mustang's trouble codes?
Panther140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2015, 10:24 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Back in the days before cell phones, computers and electronic fuel injection, we used to just remove the spark plugs and "read" them. They would tell the whole story about the A/F ratio.
As far as horsepower numbers went, we all used to lie about it. And use the early version of "ricer math" to do the estimations.

The apps sort of take me back to those days.
Some guy was just claiming that he was running 12's in a, basically, stock 4 litre Mustang... On the app!
It was apparently a hundred shot of app that he was using!
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 10:53 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by straybullitt View Post
Back in the days before cell phones, computers and electronic fuel injection, we used to just remove the spark plugs and "read" them. They would tell the whole story about the A/F ratio.
As far as horsepower numbers went, we all used to lie about it. And use the early version of "ricer math" to do the estimations.

The apps sort of take me back to those days.
Some guy was just claiming that he was running 12's in a, basically, stock 4 litre Mustang... On the app!
It was apparently a hundred shot of app that he was using!
Yeah its easy to make that thing read incorrectly. If you don't have the right mount for it, it will read wild numbers because it uses an accelerometer to find speed.

And I was hoping for a more dynamic way to find afr than the old spark plug method. I want to know what part throttle, idle, half throttle, 3/4, and WOT exactly are so I can get the best jet combo. But like you said, people were hauling *** on finely tuned carbs LONG before computerized geek stuff was inside men's cars.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2015, 10:58 PM   #4
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther140 View Post
And I was hoping for a more dynamic way to find afr than the old spark plug method. I want to know what part throttle, idle, half throttle, 3/4, and WOT exactly
Wideband..... Problem solved.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 11:03 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Lol.
It wasn't as fast or accurate as today's technology, but it got the job done!

In all fairness, I reread that thread that I mentioned, and the guy actually did a 13.5 with a tune and gears. Still, I think that he would have a hard time duplicating that number at the track.

Anyway, I have no knowledge of that app but the technology is interesting and I'm interested to hear if anyone has some experience with it.
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 12:13 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by straybullitt View Post
Lol.
It wasn't as fast or accurate as today's technology, but it got the job done!

In all fairness, I reread that thread that I mentioned, and the guy actually did a 13.5 with a tune and gears. Still, I think that he would have a hard time duplicating that number at the track.

Anyway, I have no knowledge of that app but the technology is interesting and I'm interested to hear if anyone has some experience with it.
Yeah theres definitely something wrong going on there. I feel like a quarter mile time would be a really simple thing for an app to record. I know some cars come with 0-60 timers build right in and those probably take info from the same module that the torque app does.
Old 01-09-2015, 12:47 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

The only way a 4.0 with some gears and a tune is going to pull of a 13.5 quarter mile is if he is at a drag strip 3000 feet below sea level.
Old 01-09-2015, 06:11 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
I personally have this app. Bought a $30 OBD2 bluetooth reader then the $5 app, best money I spent.

Although I'm not sure if it measures a/f ratio. Also I haven't fiddled around with the hp feature so I can't speak to it. I have used this to troubleshoot a couple of things though that I believe have saved me time and money. Like I said money well spent in my opinion, even if it doesn't give you a/f ratio.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
FanOfSkynyrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 06:37 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
i dont think a bluetooth obdii will tell you air fuel ratio. my car wont at least. I used torque and it blew. Dash Command has worked a lot better for me. can give you more info easier. theres a section thats supposed to tell you the a/f ratio, but it always comes up blank for me. it costs a little more, 9.99, but its a pretty useful app. tells you the fuel consumption as well, in like, gal/hour as well as mpgs and such. you have to enter info such as weight, displacement, gear ratios, and drag coefficient and then its good to go. whether its accurate or not, it still gives you an idea of gas consumption at different rpms and throttle levels, and it helped me figure out when to shift while cruising and the gas consumption difference at different speeds and gears, etc.

so if you're looking to squeeze out extra mileage, its a good tool to help you get in the habit of driving accordingly.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT