Headers Power? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-11-2015, 03:08 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Headers Power?

Do the 99-04 GTs respond well to new headers? How much power can I expect to get from new shorty headers or long tubes? Thank you in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
TruBluStang03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2015, 03:19 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Any shorty header on our car is worthless. your stock headers actually flow pretty well. I'd suggest either kooks headers, JBA, or some other brand thats had there stuff coated with ceramic.

Oxford White Roush Stage 1 SN# 6925--SOLD but never forgotten!
Kona Blue GT premium - Slammed on BC's and BMR's full rear suspension
The_Chech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 07:50 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Long tubes on our years will be the only headers that will actually give you some ponies. Shorties generally don't do anything.

Sent from the mothership.
Slater2111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2015, 12:56 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arkansas
I saw somewhere with a tune and longtubes alone added 13 rwhp. This was with a car that had a mid-pipe on the car also. So if you get longtubes and shorty mid-pipe with a tune, your gonna gain like 15-20rwhp.

I also have heard the stock exhaust manifolds are only restrictive at 350rwhp due to the bending at the passenger side or something.. Maybe it was driver side but the main thing is all shorty headers and stock exhaust manifolds have the bending that causes restrictive exhaust flow, and that only long tubes (re-design) fixes the bends. But don't quote me on that. Lol. Someone will chime in and correct me if I'm right or wrong I'm sure. 😜

But looking at my stock exhaust manifolds compared to my long tubes, my longtubes piping was way bigger. If anything definitely go long tubes. I see people do shorties turn around and get longtubes all the time, just cut the crap and get the longtube.

2004 Mustang GT 5 Speed Full Bolt On 360rwhp 440rwtq
12.1 @ 117.9 (1.7) in 1/4th
7.6 @ 92.1 (1.6) in 1/8th
Speed_Mister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 01:00 AM   #5
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
Like said in the previous posts....

Shorties = pointless
Longtubes = Gains

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 06:35 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

And BBK long tubes = no no

Old 01-12-2015, 08:01 AM   #7
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
For the money you'll spend on Kooks Longtubes and a mid pipe you can just about get a used S trim Vortech in good shape. The stock manifolds will flow just fine to the power limit of the stock rotating assembly. I'd look elsewhere for performance gains and only do longtubes if it was going to stay NA for whatever reason.

Longtubes are also a huge pain in the dick to install on a modular, this is not like a 95-down car where you just jack up the motor, pull the starter/steering shaft and slip them in. Modulars require you drop the K. And then while you are at it you might as well put in a tubular K lol.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 10:02 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
For the money you'll spend on Kooks Longtubes and a mid pipe you can just about get a used S trim Vortech in good shape. The stock manifolds will flow just fine to the power limit of the stock rotating assembly. I'd look elsewhere for performance gains and only do longtubes if it was going to stay NA for whatever reason.

Longtubes are also a huge pain in the dick to install on a modular, this is not like a 95-down car where you just jack up the motor, pull the starter/steering shaft and slip them in. Modulars require you drop the K. And then while you are at it you might as well put in a tubular K lol.

Why not both the s trim and some headers and a tubular Kmember? Would seem like an awesome street car.

I plan on doing this later on but Vortex will be coming first

Old 01-12-2015, 10:19 AM   #9
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Chech View Post
Why not both the s trim and some headers and a tubular Kmember? Would seem like an awesome street car.

I plan on doing this later on but Vortex will be coming first

Vortech will take the power number up to more than the stock rotating assembly can handle, longtubes are kind of pointless honestly.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 01-12-2015, 06:29 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
I would piss around with putting in long tubes on these cars. SO much work. Might as well pull the entire engine out, literally. And at that point, it would be just as cost effective to sell the 4.6 and put in a chevy 5.3. More horsepower for sure lol
Panther140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 07:53 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Honestly shorties won't give you anything for what they cost. If your looking to get a bolt on for the engine go with a plenum and throttle body combo. The choke point for the 4.6l 2V is the plenum and throttle body. The heads flow well enough for bolt ons as well as the stock exhaust mani. Pick up a accufab or C&L plenum and throttle body of your choice and you'll save yourself some money and gain a good boost in engine response and SOTP performance.

Slater2111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 06:50 AM   #12
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slater2111 View Post
Honestly shorties won't give you anything for what they cost. If your looking to get a bolt on for the engine go with a plenum and throttle body combo. The choke point for the 4.6l 2V is the plenum and throttle body. The heads flow well enough for bolt ons as well as the stock exhaust mani. Pick up a accufab or C&L plenum and throttle body of your choice and you'll save yourself some money and gain a good boost in engine response and SOTP performance.

If you are going plenum/TB and don't want to pay out the *** but still not get some rip off Chinese copy get the Trick Flow setup. Flows damn near as well as the Accufab stuff, is way better than C&L and is $280 from Summit or Jegs for both pieces. Get the 75mm TB.

There is a whole sticky about bolt ons at the top of the forum btw...

Old 01-13-2015, 09:59 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Buy the summit racing one it's cheaper and trick flow makes the TB and plenum for them

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
04sonic is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT