Who should I get a custom tune from? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-14-2015, 10:19 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Who should I get a custom tune from?

Want to get a custom tune for the '99 GT. Who is the best? I hear mixed reviews about Bama. Some people even say their tunes have damaged their engine. I know there are other companies, like MPT. Again, I've heard mixed reviews.

TL;DR below: SCT canned tunes suck and make my car run like ****.

I had a ton of misfires starting a few weeks ago, turned out 5 of my ignition coils were failing. So I replaced all 8 with new SR Performance coils (hope that brand wasn't a bad decision) and it runs like a new car, a lot more power. (Started going sideways in 2nd at 50 MPH! Never did that before.)

That also fixed my rough idle, at least on the stock tune... it was a flawless idle. I put my canned SCT X4 tune back and instantly my idle is all over the place - sometimes even going down to like 300 RPM and nearly dying. The engine feels a little rougher too all the time, almost like it's running lean or something.

SCT was no help, said I have to go get a custom tune because they don't support my light mods... of which all their promo materials say their tuner is designed to handle already.

'03 Mach 1 5spd
Fully forged Manley rods/pistons, Cobra crank, ARP hardware, 8.5:1, Procharger P1SC w/ intercooler, AFM power pipe, 60# injectors, 03/04 Cobra tank with dual fuel pumps, Kenne Bell Boost-a-Pump, O/R X pipe and Flowmasters, Exedy stage 3 clutch, Steeda Tri-Ax, Front and rear upper + lower control arms, Ford Racing springs, Bob Monks tune 448 rwhp @ 9 PSI
LaserRed99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2015, 06:39 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Your best bet and best bang for your buck is probably going to be finding a reputable local tuner with a dyno.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
FanOfSkynyrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 10:00 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
MPT is the best in my opinion. I've had nothing but good things to tell my friends about. Their customer support is hands down the best. Even email interactions are great. The reason I went to MPT rather than Bama is because when I called both companies to talk to someone about their tunes, I was handled extremely professionally by MPT. They took the time to explain what makes them different and how their tunes aren't canned like others. Granted it isn't a dyno tune. But they are very close. Emailed tunes now from what I have read are close to dyno tuning anyhow.

Sent from the mothership.
Slater2111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2015, 10:02 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Also do you have a different throttle body and plenum? Or a different MAF?

Old 01-15-2015, 10:28 AM   #5
Site Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaserRed99 View Post
Want to get a custom tune for the '99 GT. Who is the best? I hear mixed reviews about Bama. Some people even say their tunes have damaged their engine. I know there are other companies, like MPT. Again, I've heard mixed reviews.

I had a ton of misfires starting a few weeks ago, turned out 5 of my ignition coils were failing. So I replaced all 8 with new SR Performance coils (hope that brand wasn't a bad decision) and it runs like a new car, a lot more power. (Started going sideways in 2nd at 50 MPH! Never did that before.)

That also fixed my rough idle, at least on the stock tune... it was a flawless idle. I put my canned SCT X4 tune back and instantly my idle is all over the place - sometimes even going down to like 300 RPM and nearly dying. The engine feels a little rougher too all the time, almost like it's running lean or something.

SCT was no help, said I have to go get a custom tune because they don't support my light mods... of which all their promo materials say their tuner is designed to handle already.
Hey Laser - Good question and I would highly recommend taking a look into a Bama X4/SF4 Tuner for your GT. I ran their tune 93 Octane on my '01 Bullitt before I was hired here and it definitely woke the car up! Regarding some of the comments as per Bama damaging engines I'd love to see where this was posted to clear some of this up!

Sorry to hear about the coils, I've totally been there and done that! It's definitely disconcerting when they start to go too! I'm more than happy to get you set up with Bama's Lead Calibrator to have an order set up for you and to get a datalog after the fact to really dial everything in.

I can see you just hit 50 posts as well so if you don't have our discount code let me know and I'll shoot you a PM!

Alex
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
WIN A SUPERCHARGED MUSTANG & 2017 RAPTOR!
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMAlexLazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 03:57 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to KATO
I agree with "FanOfSkynard". Get a Local Tuner to do your Custom Tune to your "Car".
Old 01-15-2015, 06:14 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
Ehh, a stock N/A car isn't going to get much out of a tune. Nothing noticeable. Wont change 0-60 or 1/4 mile times, but it might drive differently in some way. If I had $500 to spend on go-fast parts, it would be some giggle gas. Hell, a bad tune is worse than a good/conservative nitrous setup and yields nowhere near the power gains.
Or get some drag slicks and a good clutch so you can launch harder.
Panther140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 09:10 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

I have bama tunes on my 2005 GT and they seem to be pretty good. When the car is cold it tends to surge and be almost jumpy, but that's my only complaint from the bama tunes. However, I'm currently having an issue with my SCT X4, when I go to sync it with my computer and download the tunes Bama emailed my the computer reports that it can find the device. I've tried multiple usb ports on two computers with no luck. One computer had Windows 7 and the other had Windows 8. I've looked around online and everyone seems to keep trying usb ports until they find one that works, but nobody has an actual solution. Btw from my experience the SCT customer service is no where near the level of the Bama customer service and is kinda poor. The tunes are great and I would definitely purchase tunes from bama again, the lifetime tunes seem great, if only I could download them.

It's all about the Smiles Per Gallon
PonyOnTheBeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 10:26 PM   #9
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
BAMA 91 race tune and offroad exhaust only on my 01. Torque is a bit low. Probably the dyno though since it was a mobile dyno and it was squeaking bad that day.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1421382368.148598.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	173608

Bullitts are better than Bullets

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 01:34 PM   #10
Site Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by PonyOnTheBeach View Post
I have bama tunes on my 2005 GT and they seem to be pretty good. When the car is cold it tends to surge and be almost jumpy, but that's my only complaint from the bama tunes. However, I'm currently having an issue with my SCT X4, when I go to sync it with my computer and download the tunes Bama emailed my the computer reports that it can find the device.

I've tried multiple usb ports on two computers with no luck. One computer had Windows 7 and the other had Windows 8. I've looked around online and everyone seems to keep trying usb ports until they find one that works, but nobody has an actual solution.

Btw from my experience the SCT customer service is no where near the level of the Bama customer service and is kinda poor. The tunes are great and I would definitely purchase tunes from bama again, the lifetime tunes seem great, if only I could download them.
Hey Pony - Sorry to hear about the technical issues you're running into getting them loaded up. When's the last time you've had your firmware updated and received fresh tunes? I'm happy to work with the Bama Team get in touch with you and see how they can help if you'd like. Let me know and I can have that set up whenever you'd like!

Sorry to hear you didn't have a great experience working with SCT's customer service as well! AmericanMuscle along with Bama Performance strive to have this best customer support possible so if there's absolutely anything I can ever help out with please don't hesitate to shoot me a PM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
BAMA 91 race tune and offroad exhaust only on my 01. Torque is a bit low. Probably the dyno though since it was a mobile dyno and it was squeaking bad that day.
Attachment 173608
This looks almost like when I had my '01 strapped down - If you don't have Bama's latest tunes let me know and we'll get you set up with the moderator special
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
WIN A SUPERCHARGED MUSTANG & 2017 RAPTOR!
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMAlexLazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 01:37 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

I updated it as soon as I got it so it's only been a few months. If you don't care to talk to the guys at bama to see if they have suggestions I'd really appreciate it.

It's all about the Smiles Per Gallon
PonyOnTheBeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 02:25 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
Attachment 173608

Bullitts are better than Bullets

Almost have more power than V6s.. 🙈

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Laquisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 02:32 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laquisha View Post
Almost have more power than V6s.. 🙈

More torque though that's for sure

Oxford White Roush Stage 1 SN# 6925--SOLD but never forgotten!
Kona Blue GT premium - Slammed on BC's and BMR's full rear suspension
The_Chech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 08:01 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

I just loaded my 93P tune from MPT and it is an absolute beast!!!! It's a night and day difference from what I had. The full throttle from stock feels like 1/4 throttle from my 93P tune.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT