What is the "Best" shorty header? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-18-2015, 08:24 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
What is the "Best" shorty header?

Looking for best hp and torque numbers for a shorty header. I have a Basanni X-pipe setup on my Cobra and it says the shorty header or standard manifold. I think I can get some more hp then the standard manifold!!
Lamps3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2015, 08:26 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
You can. But it will be next to Nil. There are many threads on shorty headers for our cars. They really don't do anything.

Sent from the mothership.
Slater2111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 10:37 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
I've always thought that if it was power gains you were after long tubes were the way to go. That shorty weren't worth the effort to swap from a cost to power perspective.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
FanOfSkynyrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2015, 11:16 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Shorty headers won't be worth the time and money to install. Long tubes is the only part that you will see gains from when it comes to headers

Old 01-18-2015, 12:58 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slater2111 View Post
Shorty headers won't be worth the time and money to install. Long tubes is the only part that you will see gains from when it comes to headers

^this, shorty headers dont do a whole lot for these cars

Oxford White Roush Stage 1 SN# 6925--SOLD but never forgotten!
Kona Blue GT premium - Slammed on BC's and BMR's full rear suspension
The_Chech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 02:15 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

You will like the shorties. Good low end street performance. Long tubes will give you more top end horsepower. But I suspect your into the street more than the strip. Get a recommendation from American Muscle (they know what works) and make sure they are ceramic coated, the coating will lower the underhood temps vs. the noncoated. In addition you can keep you ride smog legal with shorties.
thelastsumurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 05:12 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelastsumurai View Post
You will like the shorties. Good low end street performance. Long tubes will give you more top end horsepower. But I suspect your into the street more than the strip. Get a recommendation from American Muscle (they know what works) and make sure they are ceramic coated, the coating will lower the underhood temps vs. the noncoated. In addition you can keep you ride smog legal with shorties.
The money spent on shorties doesn't justify the cost for them and to have them installed. you get such a minimal amount of power out of them its pointless. The stock headers flow so well you'll probably only see a realistic number of like 2-5hp

Oxford White Roush Stage 1 SN# 6925--SOLD but never forgotten!
Kona Blue GT premium - Slammed on BC's and BMR's full rear suspension
The_Chech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 05:19 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

When I was in high school I had a Dodge Ram 1500 spent $900 on ceramic headers and didn't notice anything at all. No sound difference no performance difference no throttle difference. Nothing. I honestly can say I didn't get the 10+ HP they claimed. Same goes for our cars. Ford designed them to flow exceptionally well. They flow so well in fact that the only way you're going to see or feel any gain from shorty headers is if you're supercharged. The exhaust manifold on our cars does exactly what it's supposed to do and supports anything you can throw at it as far as bolt ons.

Old 01-19-2015, 06:54 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

My problem with getting long tube headers is my car has the H&R Lowering springs and I am afraid I will be dragging the ground!!
Old 01-19-2015, 08:37 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

How low are you?

Old 01-19-2015, 09:08 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
I'm sure you would be fine. For the gains you will get with short tubes I wouldn't bother putting them on for the 1-2 HP gain you will get from them. I would put the money towards a power adder.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Follow on Instagram @steviesstangs
15% off waxgods.com use code: manic15
10% off toplabel.com use code: Manic10
Steve96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 09:53 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
the thing this guy came to mustangevolution for was a simple question : what will be the best shorty headers , he didnt ask for every commentor to bash his choice/decision on wanting shorty headers for his mustang. The great thing about the U.S.A is everyone is free to have their on opinion or make their own choices , they dont need people bashing , talking down on their cars/parts or what they should do with their money which they worked hard for, besides being so negative toward fellow members all the time try to be more positive in giving information on a particular rather then being so negative all the time people, people come to mustangevolution for help and advice not for negative and down right discriptive abuse on a forum.

1998 GT, Edelbrock Victor Jr. Ford 4.6L SOHC, Edelbrock Fuel Rails, 1999 Gt Engine w/ PI Heads,Accufab 70mm TB & Plenum,Fuel Pressure Regulator 515 Series Inline Return Style, 25-90 psi, Underdrive Pulleys,MSD ignition coils ,4.10 gears,Diablo Sport Predator Tuner

ultrawhiteSN95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 09:55 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

I have BBK shorties and added a TB and plenum at the same time you can definitely feel a difference in power

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
04sonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 09:58 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Do yourself a favor and call one of the better known spped shop/ installers and find out what shorties will do vs. long tubes. I have been a drag racer and installer for about 30 years now and have real experience iwth various types of headers. And i can tell you that equal length tuned headers in both the short and long are the way to go. I have been on forums for some time now and have seen peoples comments, based on no experience except what they have read on other forums.

---------- Post added at 10:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:57 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultrawhiteSN95 View Post
the thing this guy came to mustangevolution for was a simple question : what will be the best shorty headers , he didnt ask for every commentor to bash his choice/decision on wanting shorty headers for his mustang. The great thing about the U.S.A is everyone if free to have their on opinion or make their own choices , they dont need people bashing , talking down on their cars/parts or what they should do with their money which they worked hard for, besides being so negative toward fellow members all the time try to be more positive in giving information on a particular rather then being so negative all the time people, people come to mustangevolution for help and advice not for negative and down right discriptive abuse on a forum.
I agree 100%
thelastsumurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 10:06 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

What is the "Best" shorty header?

Ok to answer your question they're all the same and will all give you 1-2 HP
Just make sure you get a ceramic coated header. Preferably inside and out.

Old 01-19-2015, 11:44 AM   #16
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Region: Indiana
Many will say only go longtube headers because the shorties don't perform that much better than the stock manifolds. This could be true, but you should know some issues you might have with longtubes. If you are lowered, they will set lower and will scrape much easier. Kooks headers are supposed to fit up more snug to the car, but I can't vouch for those claims. If you have a manual tranny, you'll have to remove drivers side header to install a new clutch cable. If you need to replace the starter, you'll have to remove the passenger side header to do this. If you can do all this work yourself, it might not be a big deal to you. For me, it's not worth that headache for the difference in power to me. Just my
Old 01-19-2015, 06:27 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slater2111 View Post
How low are you?

I have 7 inches of clearance from bottom of my drivers door!
Old 01-19-2015, 06:30 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
Many will say only go longtube headers because the shorties don't perform that much better than the stock manifolds. This could be true, but you should know some issues you might have with longtubes. If you are lowered, they will set lower and will scrape much easier. Kooks headers are supposed to fit up more snug to the car, but I can't vouch for those claims. If you have a manual tranny, you'll have to remove drivers side header to install a new clutch cable. If you need to replace the starter, you'll have to remove the passenger side header to do this. If you can do all this work yourself, it might not be a big deal to you. For me, it's not worth that headache for the difference in power to me. Just my
When I get the parts and pieces to do this I will do all at once. K-mbr, starter, headers (Kooks), new engine and tranny mounts. I do have a manual transmission. Wouldnt want it any other way.
Old 01-20-2015, 12:41 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultrawhiteSN95 View Post
the thing this guy came to mustangevolution for was a simple question : what will be the best shorty headers , he didnt ask for every commentor to bash his choice/decision on wanting shorty headers for his mustang. The great thing about the U.S.A is everyone is free to have their on opinion or make their own choices , they dont need people bashing , talking down on their cars/parts or what they should do with their money which they worked hard for, besides being so negative toward fellow members all the time try to be more positive in giving information on a particular rather then being so negative all the time people, people come to mustangevolution for help and advice not for negative and down right discriptive abuse on a forum.
No negativity here. Like you said this is for opinions and that is what people are giving. I dont think anyone talked down or bad about his car all they did was give their advice on using a particular part. If it was me I would be glad to get the info on here so I didn't waste any of my hard earned money. I agree some members can be very negative but I don't think this is the case here. My 2 cents.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Follow on Instagram @steviesstangs
15% off waxgods.com use code: manic15
10% off toplabel.com use code: Manic10
Steve96 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT