Signs Catalytic converters clogged - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-19-2015, 06:38 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Signs Catalytic converters clogged

Okay I have the stock h pipe, with SLP loud mouths. Well as I was driving when I would drive it, it makes like this raspy type noise at like 3500-4000 rpms, and it doesn't accelerate the car but makes the rpms go higher. After it passes the certain rpm it goes back to the normal sounding exhaust I had. It also vibrates the left side of my car when it does this to. Can anyone tell me I'm right or it could be something Else?

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
joe_117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2015, 07:47 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Are you Manual or auto?

Sent from the mothership.
Slater2111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 07:58 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slater2111 View Post
Are you Manual or auto?

Manual my good man.

---------- Post added at 01:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:57 AM ----------

Alright, I was driving and everything sounded fine. Well I stopped by my atm. When I left and was on the road, my car sounded different. It kinda sounded like I had a off road type mid pipe. It would make a raspy noise around 3500 rpms. And at those rpms it felt like my car was kinda slowing down but when it goes past it, the raspy noise quits and goes back to normal. Does that sound like my cats are clogged or need to be replaced?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2015, 08:00 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

I am no expert but I don't think your cats are to blame

Slater2111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 08:10 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

It's not a misfire, not air filter. It just started doing it today. And it sounds completely fine till it goes to those certain rpms. And my friend said it did the same thing to his car and he changed to mid pipe to an off road x pipe and fixed it right update

Old 01-19-2015, 09:26 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Another way to know if its your cats is , try to fill your transmission filler tube and if the transmission fluid doesnt go through the filler tube , and the fluid wants to pore out like the filler tube is clogged up then yes it is your cats , happened to my wife we thought it was the tranny , but come to find out it was her cats that were clogged , got them re gutted havent had the problem since

1998 GT, Edelbrock Victor Jr. Ford 4.6L SOHC, Edelbrock Fuel Rails, 1999 Gt Engine w/ PI Heads,Accufab 70mm TB & Plenum,Fuel Pressure Regulator 515 Series Inline Return Style, 25-90 psi, Underdrive Pulleys,MSD ignition coils ,4.10 gears,Diablo Sport Predator Tuner

ultrawhiteSN95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 09:30 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultrawhiteSN95 View Post
Another way to know if its your cats is , try to fill your transmission filler tube and if the transmission fluid doesnt go through the filler tube , and the fluid wants to pore out like the filler tube is clogged up then yes it is your cats , happened to my wife we thought it was the tranny , but come to find out it was her cats that were clogged , got them re gutted havent had the problem since

What did the car do when her cats were clogged?

Old 01-19-2015, 09:46 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

What did the car do when her cats were clogged?

Old 01-19-2015, 11:32 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Lol.
I've read this post several times and I still can't make any sense of it...

I had the ceramic "brick" inside of a catalytic converter break one time and it would rattle around and change the sound of the exhaust at times.
It was very obvious what the problem was, after a quick inspection of the exhaust system, with the engine running.
If you can, put the car safely on jack stands, so that you can get underneath it and listen for the noise that you are describing, while a trusted assistant revs the engine. You should be able to determine if the source of the noise is coming from the cats or not.
If you have a trustworthy muffler shop in your area, they can usually diagnose any problems with the catalytic converters, for a reasonable rate, as well.
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 10:52 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

when my wife cats were clogged , her car was running bad really bad , the trans was acting like it didnt want to change out or anything , we tried to put transmission fluid in it because it was kinda low nope the filler tube just over flowed as if it was full which it wasnt , we didnt know what the problem was , we took it to several mechanics all said $4000 for a new tranny , were we wrong took it to a guy name gordy he drove it said aye your cats are clogged i can clean them for you for $75 dollars the next day he called us cats were cleaned , this was in 2010 its 2015 havent had the problem since

1998 GT, Edelbrock Victor Jr. Ford 4.6L SOHC, Edelbrock Fuel Rails, 1999 Gt Engine w/ PI Heads,Accufab 70mm TB & Plenum,Fuel Pressure Regulator 515 Series Inline Return Style, 25-90 psi, Underdrive Pulleys,MSD ignition coils ,4.10 gears,Diablo Sport Predator Tuner

Old 01-20-2015, 11:14 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
when my wife cats were clogged , her car was running bad really bad , the trans was acting like it didnt want to change out or anything , we tried to put transmission fluid in it because it was kinda low nope the filler tube just over flowed as if it was full which it wasnt , we didnt know what the problem was , we took it to several mechanics all said $4000 for a new tranny , were we wrong took it to a guy name gordy he drove it said aye your cats are clogged i can clean them for you for $75 dollars the next day he called us cats were cleaned , this was in 2010 its 2015 havent had the problem since

When they were clogged did the car not like wanna go when you accelerated? Like it acted like it didn't wanna go. It seems like my car has trouble pushing the exhaust out of the mid pipe.

Old 01-20-2015, 12:55 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Loss of power , acted like it didn't wanna go sometimes , didn't have the power to pull hills sometimes

Sent from my SM-N910V using Mustang Evolution mobile app

Old 01-20-2015, 01:35 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Ummmmm. What????!!!
That made no fn sense. Tranny filler tube has absolutely zero relation to the cats! Lol. Still laughing my *** off!
Troy

Usually when cats go south, u loose power. A rattle sounds like more of a loose connection somewhere, or like mentioned above, an internal failed weld. U can test the cats easily by removing the exhaust downstream of the headers/mani and drive. If power comes back to normal, u have a partial clog downstream.
Gl
Old 01-20-2015, 01:48 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Getn off View Post
Ummmmm. What????!!!

That made no fn sense. Tranny filler tube has absolutely zero relation to the cats! Lol. Still laughing my *** off!

Troy

Usually when cats go south, u loose power. A rattle sounds like more of a loose connection somewhere, or like mentioned above, an internal failed weld. U can test the cats easily by removing the exhaust downstream of the headers/mani and drive. If power comes back to normal, u have a partial clog downstream.

Gl

Yeah I had to read that a few times lol

Oxford White Roush Stage 1 SN# 6925--SOLD but never forgotten!
Kona Blue GT premium - Slammed on BC's and BMR's full rear suspension
The_Chech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 01:54 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Loss of power , acted like it didn't wanna go sometimes , didn't have the power to pull hills sometimes

Well I have two cats, and it feels like the passenger side cat is clogged. It doesn't have power when I gun my car. It acts like something is not letting th exhaust go

Old 01-20-2015, 02:52 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Say what you like, I experienced this issue with my wife not your boyfriend car sir, all we know is when we tried to fill the transmission filler tube the fluid just poured out like something was clogged in it, we thought it was the tranny, it wasn't got the cats cleaned out the transmission fluid went into the filler tube just fine, haven't had an issue with the cats or tranny since, for whatever the reason was for the filler tube not being able to fill I have no clue, the cats get cleaned no filler tube issue anymore

Old 01-20-2015, 03:05 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Haha.
Again, the two components are completely separate. It's possible that you had two different problems and Gordy corrected them both while he was working on it.
Nevertheless, I'm glad that you got it fixed!
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 03:45 PM   #18
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
Say what you like, I experienced this issue with my wife not your boyfriend car sir, all we know is when we tried to fill the transmission filler tube the fluid just poured out like something was clogged in it, we thought it was the tranny, it wasn't got the cats cleaned out the transmission fluid went into the filler tube just fine, haven't had an issue with the cats or tranny since, for whatever the reason was for the filler tube not being able to fill I have no clue, the cats get cleaned no filler tube issue anymore

Please just stop giving bad info. The exhaust is in no way, shape, or form related to the exhaust. If for some reason you cleaned out the cats and the transmission was able to fill up again that is 100% coincidence, they are not related at all.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 10:13 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Quote:

This is like having 2 dogs. One is constipated the other isn't. Dog 1 is constipated so you give dog 2 some laxatives to make dog 1 go poo.

Trying to explain how the transmission filler tube is not even remotely connected to your exhaust system any where.

Oxford White Roush Stage 1 SN# 6925--SOLD but never forgotten!
Kona Blue GT premium - Slammed on BC's and BMR's full rear suspension
The_Chech is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT