Transmission cooler - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-20-2015, 06:13 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Transmission cooler

Anyone have an auxiliary tranny cooler in addition to the one that goes through the radiator? If so how is it mounted? Was it a tight fit? I am looking into a Hayden medium duty bar and plate tranny cooler from oreilly. They have the whole kit for 58.

Sent from the mothership.
Slater2111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2015, 09:02 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

I suppose I'll just measure the available space in front of the radiator and get and appropriate sized cooler. Anyone else have an idea? I was data logging yesterday and with 60* intake temp my transmission was at 175. Coolant in the radiator was 185.

Old 01-21-2015, 12:31 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
My experience with aftermarket transmission coolers is on trucks but they typically mount directly to the A/C condenser via some heavy duty plastic "ZipTie" mounts that are run through the fins of the A/C condenser and then fastened on the other side by slipping the plastic fastener over the ziptie and cutting off the excess.

One of the vendors must have a trans cooler designed specifically for your mustang.

I don't think that 175º is that bad. Hell, it's being "cooled" by a, potentially, 185º "cooler"!
Automatic transmissions are designed to operate right at about the engine operating temperature or, ideally, slightly below. You don't really need to be concerned until the transmission temperature exceeds 200º F on a regular basis. As a matter of fact, it's highly recommended that you run the transmission fluid through the radiator "heater/cooler" as well as the aftermarket cooler. I've even seen transmission coolers that have a thermostat built-in to them that doesn't allow the trans fluid to flow through the external cooler until the transmission temperature reaches 180º.

With that said, I think that they are excellent insurance against overheating your transmission, and I highly recommended them for most automatic transmission equipped vehicles that don't already have some form of external cooling.
Unless you plan on towing a boat, or something, with your Mustang, you probably don't need a very big cooler, so get one that is appropriately sized for your intended use of the car.
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2015, 08:47 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

The thing is that my transmission is tuned. And I eventually plan on getting a higher stall converter along with gears. So I figure any extra cooling would help. Would a deeper pan be a better option? It would be more simple to install.

Old 01-21-2015, 10:51 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I don't know if a deeper pan is necessarily a bettter option but it is another option that is a worthwhile way to keep the transmission temperature in check. And, it.is definitely easier!
The additional capacity may be all that you need on your car to keep the transmission at an acceptable temperature. And if it ever seems like it's running slightly hot in the future, you can always add a trans cooler.
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 11:38 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

I think I will just get the tranny cooler right now. It's significantly cheaper. Funds are a little tight right now and I can't afford 16qts of tranny oil a gasket and filter and then the pan on top of it. With the cooler, I should only need a qt max.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT