Problem With Car - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-25-2015, 10:48 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Problem With Car

Hey guys So yesterday i took out "Hulk" for a little ride because i just got new 355 nittos and new brakes with a few other little things. As I was cruising testing the brakes and seeing how the car felt it turned off. The power steering got hard and everything just shut off. I stopped put her into parking cranked the engine and broom back to normal and then i got home safe without it happening again. No lights turned on, it doesn't sputter or anything. I don't think it's the battery because i just bought a new performance battery from American muscle and i put it on that same day. The alternator on the car also seem to be working okay. All fuses were tested and they are okay also. So basically i am lost.. What could have caused the for the car to turn off. The power steering stopped also the steering wheel got really hard and I managed to put it into a safe driving position because the car actually turned off as I was turning into my neighborhood. Could any of you guys give a hand of expertise here and tell me what it could possible be?

2v 4.6l V8 "HULK" project
2vhulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2015, 11:12 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

I had a similar problem it ended up being the alternator on mine.

Sent from my SGH-T999L using Mustang Evolution mobile app
509pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 04:25 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
I couldnt tell if mine did that one day as I was comin to a stop for a left turn. It either shut off on its own, or I was derping with the clutch. But never had a single problem since that day. Like a month ago.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2015, 09:53 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
I had that happen to me on a wide open throttle pull one day :/ Not sure what it was! But it re-started just fine and I haven't had an electrical problem since.
Panther140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 10:40 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Sounds a bit silly, but this has happened to me before on my '97. Somehow my right knee bumped the keys just at the right angle and it hit the ignition in a way to temporarily cut the engine off. Coasted to a stop. Turned her back on, and never another issue.
Troy
Old 01-26-2015, 12:37 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I would check the charging system and make sure that everything is working correctly. If that checks out ok, the next thing to look at would be the Idle Air Control valve. If you have been noticing an erratic idle or "hanging" RPM's, it may be time to install a fresh Motorcraft IAC.
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 01:18 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

I agree. Check the IAC. If you had the same issue mine did, then it probably died as you let off the gas and put the clutch in, and the RPMs dropped. Then the IAC didnt work right and let it just die. No worries for me now though, I have a carburetor! Car does exactly what I tell it to exactly when I tell it to do it.
Old 01-26-2015, 02:01 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by straybullitt View Post
I would check the charging system and make sure that everything is working correctly. If that checks out ok, the next thing to look at would be the Idle Air Control valve. If you have been noticing an erratic idle or "hanging" RPM's, it may be time to install a fresh Motorcraft IAC.

I have been experiencing some pretty bad idle. Sometimes it's at around 700-800 and it just instantly drops down to 300 almost making the engine die

Old 01-26-2015, 02:19 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

That could definitely be the iac, normally if you unplug it it should drop and almost die

Sent from my LG-D800 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 01-26-2015, 08:25 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenixignition View Post
That could definitely be the iac, normally if you unplug it it should drop and almost die

Sent from my LG-D800 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
I'll fix it tomorrow then

Old 01-27-2015, 11:22 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

It could also possibly be your fuel pump. If it happens on a WOT pull, the pump may not be keeping up with the fuel pressure demand. That could be caused by a worn pump, couldn't it?
Old 01-27-2015, 07:11 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther140 View Post
It could also possibly be your fuel pump. If it happens on a WOT pull, the pump may not be keeping up with the fuel pressure demand. That could be caused by a worn pump, couldn't it?

Yes!!!!! About that!! Everytime I do a WOT pull when i release it it dies on me

Old 01-27-2015, 07:14 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Do a fuel pressure test also.
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT