Synchronizer - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-25-2015, 10:59 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Synchronizer

How much does it cost to replace one of these??

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
joe_117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2015, 11:25 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
I'm wondering the same I think mine are going bad. From what I've heard it can be a pretty expensive repair mainly labor. High hundreds from what I've heard. Hopefully someone with more know leg can chime in

alecas447 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 04:22 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Do we have a synchronizer on the gt? Do you have a picture?

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2015, 08:08 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenixignition View Post
Do we have a synchronizer on the gt? Do you have a picture?

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

Id have to show you after I get out of school. Plus I'm not sure how I'm going to show it. I've just been shifting and it's been annoying because it grinds, making it tough to put it in gear unless it's something else(pressure plate,etc..)

Old 01-26-2015, 09:56 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

oh. transmission synchros. sorry. i derped. i was thinkin camswhaft synchronizer for cars without coil on plugs
Old 01-26-2015, 10:02 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

check your clutch cable, quadrant, etc. could be that its still rubbing the flywheel, and turning a bit. Im not sure what bad synchros feel like, but sometimes grinding is caused by slack in the cable.

what i want to know, is what happens when the synchros are absolutely shot? do you just cram it into gear? drive it like a semi? go nuts power shifting all day?

but if you gotta fix one synchro, id just invest in a transmission rebuild. or swap it for a rebuilt transmission. if a synchro is out, then who knows what gears or bearings will go.
what was that transmission place called? i think aamco. they specialize in transmissions. may cost a pretty penny but i would call them first.
Old 01-26-2015, 10:11 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
Make sure that your clutch is adjusted properly first of all. Just take the dust cover off on the bottom of the tranny to expose the clutch fork. If the cable is too loose you might not get the disengagement that you need to smoothly shift gears. I personally wish there was a way to convert these transmissions to a dog-box. Dog boxes are ****in sick
Panther140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 10:14 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
As in, put a dog ring on instead of a syncro ring and have the gear machined to accept the dog ring. Maybe you could have some gears synchro and some gears dog box lol.
Panther140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 12:03 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

I get the same symptoms hard to put in first and third

Old 01-26-2015, 12:09 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

hmm.. what about forks? i know on some transmissions those sucked.
Old 01-26-2015, 02:19 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenixignition View Post
hmm.. what about forks? i know on some transmissions those sucked.

I have tr3650 tranny

Old 01-26-2015, 04:31 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arkansas
it's hard to diagnose synchros unless you tried refilling the tranny fluid and adjusting clutch. Even at that point it could be anything from a bent shift fork, worn out shift fork pad, broken gear, and then maybe a worn out synchro. Really you need somebody to drive your car to tell if it is synchros. And to see what's really is going on it needs to be taken apart.

I had bad synchros once before a couple times and continued racing, eventually the pin that held the shift forks in place feel out and I had no 3rd and 4th gear. I got a link for you where you can buy synchros. And you may want to do what I did take the tranny out yourself, and give it to the person who will rebuild it. I got a couple of guys in my contacts that will do a tr-3650 rebuild for 350$ idk if one of them are any good though. I know one is because he showed me how 3 times.

2004 Mustang GT 5 Speed Full Bolt On 360rwhp 440rwtq
12.1 @ 117.9 (1.7) in 1/4th
7.6 @ 92.1 (1.6) in 1/8th
Speed_Mister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 06:35 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed_Mister View Post
it's hard to diagnose synchros unless you tried refilling the tranny fluid and adjusting clutch. Even at that point it could be anything from a bent shift fork, worn out shift fork pad, broken gear, and then maybe a worn out synchro. Really you need somebody to drive your car to tell if it is synchros. And to see what's really is going on it needs to be taken apart.

I had bad synchros once before a couple times and continued racing, eventually the pin that held the shift forks in place feel out and I had no 3rd and 4th gear. I got a link for you where you can buy synchros. And you may want to do what I did take the tranny out yourself, and give it to the person who will rebuild it. I got a couple of guys in my contacts that will do a tr-3650 rebuild for 350$ idk if one of them are any good though. I know one is because he showed me how 3 times.

Well I'm not sure if it is the synchronizer. Dustin told me I need to fix it. But you could be right on that. And rebuild my tranny for 350$?

Old 01-26-2015, 10:05 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Is there any DIY for refilling the tranny?

Old 01-26-2015, 10:10 PM   #15
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by alecas447 View Post
Is there any DIY for refilling the tranny?

Just go through the shifter and fill it from in the car

Sent from my VS985 4G using Mustang Evolution mobile app
natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 10:15 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arkansas
Try draining it and filling the tranny up with synchro mesh first if it doesn't fix the problem. Just don't shift hard, shift slowly that's what caused my gears to go out before.

12.1 @ 117.9 (1.7) in 1/4th
7.6 @ 92.1 (1.6) in 1/8th
Speed_Mister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 11:58 AM   #17

Region: Wisconsin
Not sure where you guys have landed on this but I just bought my 02 that we think the 3rd gear Synchro is going out on it. I called like 10 shops in my area to get quotes. So far from what I've read above everyone is on the right track. grinding can be a lot of things. It could just be some slack in your clutch cable and cost you nothing but some of your own time to tighten it up. It also could be any number of things involving the clutch, fly wheel, and tranny all together. I got estimates ranging from $800 if its just the synchro all the way up to $2300 if its worst case scenario.

IMO if it starts to get anywhere near $1500, I'm going to be looking for a nice new transmission.

Bottom line is that until you break open the tranny and find out exactly what it is, its hard to say just how much it will cost.
Rcon127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 12:18 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcon127 View Post
Not sure where you guys have landed on this but I just bought my 02 that we think the 3rd gear Synchro is going out on it. I called like 10 shops in my area to get quotes. So far from what I've read above everyone is on the right track. grinding can be a lot of things. It could just be some slack in your clutch cable and cost you nothing but some of your own time to tighten it up. It also could be any number of things involving the clutch, fly wheel, and tranny all together. I got estimates ranging from $800 if its just the synchro all the way up to $2300 if its worst case scenario.

IMO if it starts to get anywhere near $1500, I'm going to be looking for a nice new transmission.

Bottom line is that until you break open the tranny and find out exactly what it is, its hard to say just how much it will cost.

yea^ personally I think mine is the clutch cable. If mine is the synchronizer I wouldn't mind as I've heard multiple times the car can run fine with bad synchros

Old 02-03-2015, 12:23 PM   #19

Region: Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by alecas447 View Post
yea^ personally I think mine is the clutch cable. If mine is the synchronizer I wouldn't mind as I've heard multiple times the car can run fine with bad synchros

One thing to keep in mind is that with bad synchro, you will likely damage other parts of your transmission over time. It may only cost you a few hundred now but if you wait, you may end up having to do a complete tranny rebuild. Yes you can run with bad synchros as long as you can perfect double clutching and not power shifting but thats only a temporary fix to a permanent problem.
Rcon127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 06:25 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT