Alternator wiring - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-26-2015, 09:48 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
Alternator wiring

I don't want to mess things up with my car's electric, so I am going to double check with you guys where my alternator wire connects to. Its the red one that comes from the top of the alternator, do I connect that to my battery junction box on the Hot terminal for it? I lightly touched it to that and it sparked pretty hard when the car was running. I figure that would be because the alternator might be running a lot of amps and the amount of surface area at the contact point was too small to handle it.
Panther140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2015, 12:29 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Disconnect the battery before working on the electrical system!

Yes. It connects to the junction box and, on my car, there is a fusible link and it splits off to two separate wires that connect to the junction box.
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 01:09 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by straybullitt View Post
Disconnect the battery before working on the electrical system!

Yes. It connects to the junction box and, on my car, there is a fusible link and it splits off to two separate wires that connect to the junction box.
Yeah it is a good idea to disconnect the battery, but my thought was "If I hook this up to the wrong thing, secure it, reconnect the batter, and start it, I wont know anything is wrong until everything is fried"

Id almost rather risk an electrical burn! That is MUCH easier to fix than frying an ECU and wiring ****.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2015, 01:21 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Lol.
You will live after receiving any shock that an automobile electrical system can give you (Except maybe a hybrid)...
Some of the electrical components may not be so lucky!

It is good practice to always disconnect the battery before disconnecting ANY of the electronics.
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 01:24 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by straybullitt View Post
Lol.
You will live after receiving any shock that an automobile electrical system can give you (Except maybe a hybrid)...
Some of the electrical components may not be so lucky!

It is good practice to always disconnect the battery before disconnecting ANY of the electronics.

Yeah 12 volt DC is pretty safe. However, I have seen people welding with jumper cables, 2 batteries wired in parallel, and a 60xx welding rod. It actually works pretty well on heavy metals

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT