brake job question - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-27-2015, 12:05 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas
brake job question

changed my brakes front and back today. the rear pads would not go in with the clips provided. I only used one clip on each pad rather then the 2 and they are nice and tight. my friend said that im a dummie for not using both but the guy who helped me said it wont be a problem. he suggested not using either but I still used one on each pad.
did I mess up?
Hello is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2015, 12:16 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
worst id imagine you would exprience is maybe a little brake squeal if its not in nice and tight.
Old 01-27-2015, 03:34 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

seemed impossible to put them in with both. no squealing so far. just wanted to make sure. thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2015, 07:25 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

went and did some pretty aggressive stops, car seems to stop good, feels normal I think. my friends keep telling me to pull the pads and make the clips fit said the pads are probably dragging on the rotor.
Old 01-27-2015, 09:46 PM   #5
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Your friends are idiots, sorry. The clips are there for anti-rattle purposes and that is it.

Do you happen to have Cobra brakes out back?
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 09:55 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

No. Just GT rears. The pads are very snug with just the one clip on each pad will they loosen up over time or can I forget about the brakes now and move on to thinking about new parts. My first brake change myself and just would hate to have messed anything up.

one odd thing was the driver side rear I needed to use a 12mm and the passenger side I needed to use a 14 lol no idea why the bolts were different sizes
Old 01-28-2015, 09:56 AM   #7
Staff
Regular
Staff

Ok wait are you talking about the clips on the ends or the clip going over the rear of the pad for anti rattle. Because if you are talking about the pieces on the ends of the pads... yes those need to be on there. If you are talking about the anti rattle clips on the back of the pad, then no that is not required and that is what I thought you were talking about.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 01-28-2015, 12:30 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Ok wait are you talking about the clips on the ends or the clip going over the rear of the pad for anti rattle. Because if you are talking about the pieces on the ends of the pads... yes those need to be on there. If you are talking about the anti rattle clips on the back of the pad, then no that is not required and that is what I thought you were talking about.
the ones that clip onto the pads themselves
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	clips.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	17.2 KB
ID:	174422  
Old 01-28-2015, 12:42 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

I honestly could not get these on with all the clips, I added one to each pad and there nice and tight. I read reviews on them and people said they ad 2 grind down the pad to make them fit. I would rather not do that.
since I neglected to use all the clips will this by chance ruin my rotors? or will the pads be dragging? everything seems fine but that's just assumption
Old 01-28-2015, 02:32 PM   #10
Staff
Regular
Staff

Ok, those all clip onto the pad... is it the big flat back plate or the little ones that go on the ends? The one little one where there is 8 of them in the picture.

The back plate is no biggie, that is the anti rattle. If you are talking about one of the little ones... those are required to be on the pad.

Old 01-28-2015, 02:59 PM   #11
WJL
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Just a work of advise, they didn't include them in the package if they'er not needed, weather its for anti-rattle, dust shield.

Anymore you have to watch the advice (more like opinions) you get on this forum.

JUST SAYING
WJL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 05:58 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Ok, those all clip onto the pad... is it the big flat back plate or the little ones that go on the ends? The one little one where there is 8 of them in the picture.

The back plate is no biggie, that is the anti rattle. If you are talking about one of the little ones... those are required to be on the pad.
yah the little ones in the picture are the ones that I only used one on each pad. so am I supposed 2 grind the pad end down or something. there's no way there guna fit with both clips
this picture says the clips are anti rattle?
Attached Images

Old 01-28-2015, 06:29 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

AM also calls them anti rattle clips. does this mean if tehre not ratling they are fine? or should I pull them and grind down the pad ear a bit Mustang Rear Disc Brake Hardware Kit (94-04 All) - Free Shipping
Old 01-28-2015, 06:35 PM   #14
WJL
Registered Member
Regular

There should be no grinding required
Old 01-28-2015, 07:31 PM   #15
Staff
Regular
Staff

Well they aren't going to fall out regardless... but there should be zero reason they don't fit unless you have some rando cheap **** pads.

Old 01-28-2015, 07:55 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

they are power stop ceramic pads.
so if there tight there good? I don't hear any rattling. just don't want to ruin my rotors because the pads are dragging or something.
Old 01-29-2015, 02:35 PM   #17
WJL
Registered Member
Regular

It shouldn't require any force or tools to install the pads. the only think you need to do this job is a jack, tire iron, a 13 or 14 mm wrench i cant remember and a special tool to compress the piston and that can be circumvented if you know how.

did you compare the pads to make sure they are the same as the ones you removed?
Old 01-31-2015, 11:49 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

By personal experience id say if you're good with a cut off wheel, take the pads back out along with the clips, and lightly run the wheel on the inside of the pad seats. May make the little extra room for the second clip.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
tsteevs_foxbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 12:04 PM   #19
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1422727487.902400.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	146.5 KB
ID:	174599

Bullitts are better than Bullets

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 12:35 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

By personal experience id say if you're good with a cut off wheel, take the pads back out along with the clips, and lightly run the wheel on the inside of the pad seats. May make the little extra room for the second clip.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
tsteevs_foxbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 03:25 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Saw a sign for free brake inspections today and pulled in. guy pulled my wheel off and laughed said with aftermarket pads the clips will rarely fit without having to remove some of the material from the pads and that most people don't even use the clips

I sent a email to PowerStop to see if this is a know issue. I think if I do pull them I will buy some hawk pads and replace them rather then having to grind anything down
Old 02-01-2015, 09:22 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Just replaced a rear caliper on my 2003 GT and the new pads were very, very tight with the side clips in place. The trick is to make sure the pad is perfectly straight when you slide it into the caliper. If one side tries to go in first, you'll never get it to seat. Also the "slot" where the clips slide into has to be perfectly clean from brake dust. It's very tricky. My caliper was a rebuilt Cardone and pads were Advanced Auto ceramic platinum.
vert03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 04:34 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

uggh so if i just hold off and buy hawk pads in a couple months when I do my stainless steel lines will I be alright to just leave them for the mean time?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT