Bomb proof & Fun car - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-27-2015, 04:24 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
Bomb proof & Fun car

I am looking for a daily driver that is built tough as nails, has RWD, and a little bit of pep when I step on it. Got any ideas? Probably around the $5k> area. As in, less than 5k.
I definitely do not want another grand marquis. Its painfully slow and handles so bad that I don't even know if its safe to drive
Panther140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2015, 04:26 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Are you asking if the mustang meets this criteria?

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

Oxford White Roush Stage 1 SN# 6925--SOLD but never forgotten!
Kona Blue GT premium - Slammed on BC's and BMR's full rear suspension
The_Chech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 04:38 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Chech View Post

My mustang certainly doesn't lol. Its a weekend car for sure. I don't trust it anymore. I want something to DD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2015, 04:41 PM   #4
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Kentucky
Define pep...

Be the type of person who leaves a mark, not a scar
Recon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 04:50 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Recon View Post
Define pep...

requires throttle control when launching on regular street tires. If I dump the clutch anywhere about 2500k rpms, sum ***** better light em up.

Probably0-60 in under 7.5 seconds otherwise it will just piss me off to drive it lol
Old 01-27-2015, 04:51 PM   #6
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther140 View Post
requires throttle control when launching on regular street tires. If I dump the clutch anywhere about 2500k rpms, sum ***** better light em up.

Well if an auto is alright with you. Maybe a mark VIII would do alright. That DOHC 4.6 has potential.

Old 01-27-2015, 05:13 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Recon View Post
Well if an auto is alright with you. Maybe a mark VIII would do alright. That DOHC 4.6 has potential.

That would be a good one I think. I need reliability for sure though. Is that 32 valve good for that at high mileage?
Old 01-27-2015, 05:22 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
phone was on the frits and double posted

Oxford White Roush Stage 1 SN# 6925--SOLD but never forgotten!
Kona Blue GT premium - Slammed on BC's and BMR's full rear suspension
The_Chech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 05:26 PM   #9
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
That would be a good one I think. I need reliability for sure though. Is that 32 valve good for that at high mileage?

I have a few customers that have those mk VIII. And they are good cars and reliable. Only issue that arose from one was check engine light came on. Code was a catalyst inefficiency, it turned out bad gas was the answer.

Old 01-27-2015, 05:32 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Chech View Post

No I already have a mustang and it is beat to ****. Not a trustworthy daily driver. Alternator is going bad, clutch wont disengage at all and so on
Old 01-27-2015, 06:32 PM   #11
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Cheap/Reliable/Fast <----- You only get to pick two.

If you want something for $5k that is going to last a very long time... Late 90s/Early 2000s Honda. Or maybe a 5.4L truck of some sort that has been well maintained.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 06:39 PM   #12
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Cheap/Reliable/Fast <----- You only get to pick two..

^^^^^THIS^^^^^

Bullitts are better than Bullets

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 07:11 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Get a truck.
They're useful and generally pretty reliable.
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 07:51 PM   #14
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by straybullitt View Post
Get a truck.

That is probably the smartest thing I've heard on this forum...
Got a 2000 Silverado Z71 4X4, it's the most reliable vehicle I own. Out of 8 vehicles my truck is the most dependable, and logical vehicle I have. Has 186,xxx and still running strong!

Old 01-27-2015, 07:55 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by straybullitt View Post
Get a truck.
This. I wouldn't worry about the pep part for a dd. I'd worry more about the dependable part.

Ford ranger is a great truck and easy to work on, f150s are great but cost a bit more. I wouldn't touch any chevy with a 4l60e unless it was dirt cheap.

If your stuck on a rwd car, just get a v6 stang.
Billgluckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 09:40 PM   #16
Staff
Regular
Staff

They are GIVING away trucks like mine right meow. I have an 03 Eddie Bauer Expy and you could probably get one like mine for damn near $5k with the same mileage I have (120k). With basic routine maintenance this truck with the 2V should go another 100k no problem and its easy to work on. Not great on gas but you can't beat a 2V/4R driveline combo in a truck for a go-anywhere/last forever vehicle for cheap.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 01-27-2015, 11:05 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah I drive 2 hours round trip every day of the week, and then on the weekends I drive 4 hours round trip :/ I do like trucks, but I couldn't buy that much fuel. Repair costs for my stang would be cheaper once the gas goes back to normal
Old 01-28-2015, 06:40 AM   #18
Staff
Regular
Staff

That much commuting? Go find a mid 90s Honda Del Sol with the 1.5L engine and a stick shift. I commuted in one of those for a few years in the late 2000s. 10 gallon tank, went 400 miles on a single fillup, actually was fun flying around corners with it they handle great although it had absolutely zero balls accelerating.

Right now that thing would be under $20 to fill up and would go for 2-3 weeks on my current commute... Maybe I should look for one myself haha. I sold it in good shape for $2k. Just have to find one that the ricers have not got ahold of which is getting harder.

Edit:

Another real good one to look at is an early run Mazda 6. The V6s are actually pretty fast, they have good amenities, they look good and they are pretty reliable. I mean they are basically Fords anyway. I had one of those too, V6 automatic 2003 with 140k+ on the clock that my Father owned and it ran like new, got 25mpg with me beating on it and would push you back in the seat when you floored it. I probably should have kept that car but someone offered me $2500 for it and I had 5 cars at the time.

A stick shift 4 banger will get 30mpg+ and would be a very strong contender for looks/amenities/DDing IMO or get the 3.0L V6 if you want a little more performance. And not a MazdaSpeed6... those command damn near Coyote money still.

In the end, I still say a late 90s/early 2000s Honda is going to be your best bet for a DD. If for nothing else on a commute like that, you won't worry about boy racers and other ppl with fast cars trying to street race you on the long drive. I would always have jackasses revving at me at a light or some ****** canoe trying to get me to roll race on a highway going 45mph during rush hour... wtf... Don't have those problems in my comfy Expy.

Old 01-28-2015, 07:48 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
For $5,000 or less, I would probably get a Pontiac Grand Prix GTP/Buick Regal GS.

They are tanks, with stout drivetrains that can easily go 300,000 miles with basic maintenance. Parts are cheap as hell for them and they will roll out, impressively, especially with mods.

They also get 30+ mpg on the highway.

I know they aren't rwd but they can easily lay the smack down on a 2v 4.6 with just a few mods.
Old 01-28-2015, 08:01 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas
why not get a sixxer with some blizzacks and bolt ons
Hello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 08:19 AM   #21
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish416 View Post
For $5,000 or less, I would probably get a Pontiac Grand Prix GTP/Buick Regal GS.

They are tanks, with stout drivetrains that can easily go 300,000 miles with basic maintenance. Parts are cheap as hell for them and they will roll out, impressively, especially with mods.

They also get 30+ mpg on the highway.

I know they aren't rwd but they can easily lay the smack down on a 2v 4.6 with just a few mods.
Walk through a parking lot in the early 2000s and every other car was a "Grand Pricks" of some sort.

Old 01-28-2015, 08:23 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Walk through a parking lot in the early 2000s and every other car was a "Grand Pricks" of some sort.
Haha .. for some reason I thought of this ..

Because wider is better.
Old 01-28-2015, 08:27 AM   #23
Staff
Regular
Staff

Oh god I just had a flashback. And now I've got late 90s pop songs stuck in my head... Pop music today has NOTHING on the late 90s lol.

Old 01-28-2015, 12:15 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I think the same thing when I walk through a wrecking yard nowadays...
Old 01-28-2015, 05:23 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Find a OSB F150/Bronco with four wheel drive still can't beat a 302 or 351W. They go anywhere and while the TTB front end is hard on tires they still race these things in the desert today and face it save up some scrap metal, scrap it till you get 3K to 5K saved up, and then buy a used Mustang GT and 16 foot trailer. Really raise some caine at the track and for the right price I wouldn't scoff at two wheel drive.
Old 01-28-2015, 07:26 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocknbronco View Post
Find a OSB F150/Bronco with four wheel drive still can't beat a 302 or 351W. They go anywhere and while the TTB front end is hard on tires they still race these things in the desert today and face it save up some scrap metal, scrap it till you get 3K to 5K saved up, and then buy a used Mustang GT and 16 foot trailer. Really raise some caine at the track and for the right price I wouldn't scoff at two wheel drive.
Yeah I have a mustang GT right now with a 5 speed. But yeah I don't care if a truck is 2wd or 4wd or awd. If you need 4wd in a TRUCK just to stay in control, you probably shouldn't be driving a motor vehicle in the first place lol. I can handle a mustang in winter and when I drive my dad's suburban in 2wd in the winter, I feel like I can plow through the biggest piles of snow no problemo. its all relative I guess.
Old 01-28-2015, 09:24 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Muddy fields and logging roads call for four wheel drive also I'm a fan of rock crawling and trail rides so four wheel drive is a must for me and these mountain back roads when bad winter weather hits. I love making money pulling cars out of ditches when snow storms hit.
Old 01-29-2015, 06:05 AM   #28
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Yeah I have a mustang GT right now with a 5 speed. But yeah I don't care if a truck is 2wd or 4wd or awd. If you need 4wd in a TRUCK just to stay in control, you probably shouldn't be driving a motor vehicle in the first place lol. I can handle a mustang in winter and when I drive my dad's suburban in 2wd in the winter, I feel like I can plow through the biggest piles of snow no problemo. its all relative I guess.
I thought the same thing until a few years back when I ran into some real bad ice underneath a layer of snow that was not fully plowed. Automatic 4WD in the Expy saved my ***. Pulled over, put it in 4H and made it into work safely. Also there are situations where you just NEED 4WD even if its only once or twice a year. One of those things that is better to have and not need than need and be like "oshi I'm 2WD".

I would not use a Bronco as a DD though, that is just dumb. Those things are bigger money pits than a Mustang haha.

Old 01-29-2015, 07:34 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Broncos are the best for a DD IMO, course I had three, it all depends on how the vehicle was maintained.
Old 01-29-2015, 11:24 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Other than the "newest" Broncos being 19 years old, I don't see why they would be any more of a money pit than anything else. From '78 until '96 they had the exact same drivetrain as the F-series trucks, which, in my opinion, are fairly easy and inexpensive to maintain.

I'll bet finding a nice example of a Bronco nowadays might be somewhat of a challenge though.
Old 01-29-2015, 11:33 AM   #31
Staff
Regular
Staff

Broncos rust if you look at them wrong. Or even if you don't... The E4 trans is bleh too. I dunno I see way too many "project" Broncos on base. Every single one has rotted 1/4 panels and just looks awful.

That said, when you see a real nice restored one... necks get sprained they turn heads so fast lol.

Old 01-29-2015, 11:45 AM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Lol.
I'm a California boy... What is this "rust" that you speak of?

You're right about the E4OD, the early ones sucked and that is probably the biggest cause of those trucks ending up in wrecking yards. The transmission can definitely be a money pit but the rebuilds with all of the updates are pretty reliable and have decent longevity.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT