She is fast... But only when she wants to be - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-28-2015, 06:42 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
She is fast... But only when she wants to be

My 03 gt must be female. Had her for 2 years now great car w 170,000 on her. She feels fast as crap one day and weak the next. More days than not weak. As in one day she's s blast putting you in the seat even in 3rd and the next feels like I'm pulling a trailer. 3 tanks ago she ran strong thru the whole tank but these last 2 back to being slow. And it's s pretty noticeable difference in power. Always runs smooth, just when you floor it some days are way better. 5 spd btw. No codes. Always run bp 87 gas. Only mods are or x pipe super 40, kn filter and nitto 555 275s. Tune up not long ago, everythings great on car. Maybe I just need a good tune? What could cause this and not throw codes? I just wish this thing would run good all the time!
Calebnc302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2015, 07:41 PM   #2
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calebnc302 View Post
My 03 gt must be female. Had her for 2 years now great car w 170,000 on her. She feels fast as crap one day and weak the next. More days than not weak. As in one day she's s blast putting you in the seat even in 3rd and the next feels like I'm pulling a trailer. 3 tanks ago she ran strong thru the whole tank but these last 2 back to being slow. And it's s pretty noticeable difference in power. Always runs smooth, just when you floor it some days are way better. 5 spd btw. No codes. Always run bp 87 gas. Only mods are or x pipe super 40, kn filter and nitto 555 275s. Tune up not long ago, everythings great on car. Maybe I just need a good tune? What could cause this and not throw codes? I just wish this thing would run good all the time!
What about the fuel filter? Did that change?

Sent from my VS985 4G using Mustang Evolution mobile app
natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 07:43 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Sometimes I kinda feel the same about my 02. It also feels like it has more power when the engine is almost warmed up and the temp needle starts to move.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2015, 08:10 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Yea replaced fuel filter. Fuel pressure is normal, and yea it does run a little stronger when it's half warmed up. Just some days a whole lot more than others
Old 01-29-2015, 09:50 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas
Bad gas? Winter mixes are different than summer gas

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
GHO5T5NIPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 03:42 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Idk man, good then bad on the same tank sometimes. A lot of times feels like it pulls harder from 3-4k than 4-5.5k and exhaust not sometimes sounds more ballsier than others making me think egr but that should throw codes and be all the time I would think.
Old 01-29-2015, 04:16 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
When you did the tune-up, did you clean the Mass Air Flow sensor and the Throttle Body? Especially the MAF.
Have the upstream 02 sensors ever been changed, that you are aware of?
Have you scanned for any codes? Just because the CEL is not lit up, doesn't mean that there are no codes.
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 05:19 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

I bet my upstream 02s are stock. From 02 as a matter of fact. Tried to change one. Things seized and the hex is stripped.

Sent from my LG-D800 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 01-29-2015, 06:22 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Yea cleaned maf with maf cleaner, then unplugged batt for a few. it idled a little better but no changes in power. I did scan for codes and found none. And the upstream o2s are probly stock but I'm not sure. Could they be weak but not bad enough to throw codes?
Old 01-29-2015, 07:05 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Yes. They can become "sluggish" as they age, or become contaminated over the years. This reduces the sensors ability to respond quickly to changes in the Air/Fuel ratio. Also, the O2 sensor voltage output may also be reduced over time and give a false reading to the PCM, resulting in the computer thinking that the engine is running leaner than it actually is and, thus, over-enriching the A/F mixture.
Bosch recommends that the 2nd generation, heated, 02 sensors that our cars are equipped with, be replaced every 100k miles as preventative maintenance, just like any tune-up part.

This may not be the cause of either of you guys problem, but if your car is getting up there in miles, it's a good idea to replace them as a maintenance item rather than waiting for them to fail completely.
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 08:04 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

I just remembered I replaced one side but gave up on the other side. I gotta grab a pipe wrench and unscrew it finally. My gas mileage is a bit low. 15 city. And thats without driving spiritedly.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 01-29-2015, 08:06 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks for the info straybullitt, that makes sense. I will probly replace those soon and see if that helps. Still open to other suggestions tho! Thanks everyone for the replies as a lot of other sites I have gotten no help on
Old 01-29-2015, 08:08 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Let me know how that goes if you replace it, fenixignition
Old 02-04-2015, 06:08 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Fact is these cars were never fast so you're just feeling the factory feel, which is always slow.
Old 02-04-2015, 09:12 AM   #15
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelStander View Post
Fact is these cars were never fast so you're just feeling the factory feel, which is always slow.

"Fast" is a general word used here for comparing what he says is running good and not running as good.

IG: @azurebluemach
Old 02-04-2015, 03:26 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

I know they're pretty slow stock, that's why I'm planning to a few mods. But I wanna make sure the cars running right in the first place, and im not sure it is. As in every now and then it feels like I gain 30 hp. Also I've been noicing very slight whining noise in trans until clutch is pushed in. (So quiet u have to actually listen for it) probly normal but what do yall think?

---------- Post added at 04:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:25 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelStander View Post
Old 02-05-2015, 04:27 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Mine does that too. Either the throwout or pilot bearing. Mine only does it when its cold. I read somewhere from ford or tremec saying in some troubleshooting guide that its cuz the transmission isnt warmed up yet, so i figured its semi normal. Jusy use a ford throwou bearing when you change clutches

Old 02-05-2015, 08:46 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenixignition View Post
Mine does that too. Either the throwout or pilot bearing. Mine only does it when its cold. I read somewhere from ford or tremec saying in some troubleshooting guide that its cuz the transmission isnt warmed up yet, so i figured its semi normal. Jusy use a ford throwou bearing when you change clutches

Ok that's what I was thinking. Thanks man
Old 02-05-2015, 10:13 AM   #19
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calebnc302 View Post
Ok that's what I was thinking. Thanks man

Mine make a slight noise until I put my clutch pedal in as well. I have FRPP throwout and pilot bearings and about 15k miles on them. I think it's normal to have a bit of noise when it's in neutral and clutch disengage. If it starts getting louder or changing how it sounds, that's when you need to start paying attention to the sounds and make everything is cool. I know another guy that has noticed noise even though he has a Ford Racing TOB. Sometimes I wonder if it's just the pressure plate spinning freely on my Exedy stage 1 clutch. They're pretty cheap clutches. I plan to upgrade the next time I need a clutch lol.

Old 02-05-2015, 11:06 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
Mine make a slight noise until I put my clutch pedal in as well. I have FRPP throwout and pilot bearings and about 15k miles on them. I think it's normal to have a bit of noise when it's in neutral and clutch disengage. If it starts getting louder or changing how it sounds, that's when you need to start paying attention to the sounds and make everything is cool. I know another guy that has noticed noise even though he has a Ford Racing TOB. Sometimes I wonder if it's just the pressure plate spinning freely on my Exedy stage 1 clutch. They're pretty cheap clutches. I plan to upgrade the next time I need a clutch lol.

Yea I dindnt think it was a problem, it's always had a slight noise but has never got louder. I was just makin sure but thanks for the help man

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT