New clutch break in - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-29-2015, 07:49 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
New clutch break in

hi folks,

just got my exedy stage 2 clutch along with a ford racing pilot and throw out bearing installed. Now i've driven the car for about 100 miles always shifting no higher than 2k rpms. Every once in a while i get clutch chatter when i put the clutch in. Is that due to the fact that the clutch has not been broken in yet? Whats the proper breaking in procedure? Thanks.
robin_gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2015, 08:01 AM   #2
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Mine never chattered, did you put in a new flywheel too? If not, the old flywheel could have hotspots from the old clutch and it can **** up the mating surface. You should always do a resurface or a new flywheel when you do the clutch.

To answer your question, proper break in is to go easy on it with a lot of start/stop engagements over a 500 mile period. Then go nuts.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 08:03 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Mine never chattered, did you put in a new flywheel too? If not, the old flywheel could have hotspots from the old clutch and it can **** up the mating surface. You should always do a resurface or a new flywheel when you do the clutch.

To answer your question, proper break in is to go easy on it with a lot of start/stop engagements over a 500 mile period. Then go nuts.
ยด
yea i also got the flywheel resurfaced hope the chatter goes away with time

thanks for the reply
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2015, 08:05 AM   #4
Staff
Regular
Staff

Just keep doing a lot of stop/starts and it should go away. But like I said my Exedy Mach 400 with a new flywheel never chattered once.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 01-29-2015, 08:07 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

just watched a youtube video on clutch chatter lol.
mine is not like that just sometimes when in put the clutch in to shift from 1-2 gear it will make kinda a clank/chatter noise but it goes away once it is in gear.
Old 01-29-2015, 08:11 AM   #6
Staff
Regular
Staff

That chatter is the pressure plate skipping on the flywheel before there is enough pressure to catch. Once it gets a better mating surface going with the flywheel it should stop. As long as the place that did the resurface did a good job and its nice and flat you should have no problems there.

Old 01-29-2015, 08:16 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
That chatter is the pressure plate skipping on the flywheel before there is enough pressure to catch. Once it gets a better mating surface going with the flywheel it should stop. As long as the place that did the resurface did a good job and its nice and flat you should have no problems there.
Ok thanks for the info

also the other thing is my clutch catches a bit high what can i do to adjust it?
Old 01-29-2015, 09:13 AM   #8
Staff
Regular
Staff

See if you have a stock quadrant or a double hook or whatever in there from a previous owner. If the cable is stock/OEM leave it, if its aftermarket swap it out with an OEM one.

Adjusting the cable tension is not something you really do for pedal height, you do it to get the right preload on the TOB. For the pedal to change spots you are going to need to go to a double/triple hook quadrant or if you just want it in the stock spot (which is perfect IMO) then get a Max Motorsports quadrant.

If you still have the stock quadrant it is self adjusting and you can grab the pedal and yank upwards towards you and you should hear a zip tie noise which is the adjusting mechanism doing its thing.

Old 01-29-2015, 12:38 PM   #9
Site Sponsor
Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by robin_gt View Post
hi folks,

just got my exedy stage 2 clutch along with a ford racing pilot and throw out bearing installed. Now i've driven the car for about 100 miles always shifting no higher than 2k rpms. Every once in a while i get clutch chatter when i put the clutch in. Is that due to the fact that the clutch has not been broken in yet? Whats the proper breaking in procedure? Thanks.
Hey Robin,

Although in most cases there will be no chatter, the fact that you only have 100 miles on the setup leads me to believe that you have nothing to worry about.

Especially since you had your flywheel re-surfaced it most likely needs a better mating surface with the clutch and that could be causing the noise you are hearing.

Hope this helps and keep us updated!

-Will
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
WIN A $1500 MMD STYLING PACKAGE
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 01:26 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
Uh oh, that means your clutch is super ****ed up. If I were you, id take it out and mail it to me where I can make sure that it doesnt get in the wrong hands.

Very dangerous stuff going on here, remove it and mail it to me asap! Its for your safety!
Panther140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 02:50 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther140 View Post
Uh oh, that means your clutch is super ****ed up. If I were you, id take it out and mail it to me where I can make sure that it doesnt get in the wrong hands.

Very dangerous stuff going on here, remove it and mail it to me asap! Its for your safety!
is this a joke?
Old 01-29-2015, 02:53 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
See if you have a stock quadrant or a double hook or whatever in there from a previous owner. If the cable is stock/OEM leave it, if its aftermarket swap it out with an OEM one.

Adjusting the cable tension is not something you really do for pedal height, you do it to get the right preload on the TOB. For the pedal to change spots you are going to need to go to a double/triple hook quadrant or if you just want it in the stock spot (which is perfect IMO) then get a Max Motorsports quadrant.

If you still have the stock quadrant it is self adjusting and you can grab the pedal and yank upwards towards you and you should hear a zip tie noise which is the adjusting mechanism doing its thing.
yeah ill try the pedal method first and if that doesn't help ill prob get the quadrant thanks for the advise
Old 01-29-2015, 02:55 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMWill View Post
Hey Robin,

Although in most cases there will be no chatter, the fact that you only have 100 miles on the setup leads me to believe that you have nothing to worry about.

Especially since you had your flywheel re-surfaced it most likely needs a better mating surface with the clutch and that could be causing the noise you are hearing.

Hope this helps and keep us updated!

-Will
yea i drove it alot today and it is definitely getting better. thanks
Old 01-29-2015, 06:54 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
Quote:
Originally Posted by robin_gt View Post
is this a joke?
No man for real you should mail me that new clutch
Panther140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 06:38 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther140 View Post
No man for real you should mail me that new clutch
Yea I just took it out and it's already on it's way to you tracking number says it will be there later today i got next day shipping don't wanna take any chances

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT