8.8" Rear End Woes - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-31-2015, 01:00 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
8.8" Rear End Woes

My differential has been making some noise for a while now. The noise is typical of a wheel bearing, it goes away when i turn one way and gets louder when i turn the other. I started pulling it apart today with the intent to replace wheel bearings on both sides, and hit a roadblock.

First and most obvious, the shims are really messed up. The first thing i noticed was very fine metal shavings in the oil which I figured wasn't a good sign. The teeth on the gears appear to be in very good shape, however.

Also, the diff has side to side movement. I can push the axles in and out on both sides and there is a tiny bit of movement. The diff itself seems to wobble when I do this.

Just wondering what you guys think and what route I should go to fix this right. Im guessing it's gonna need a complete rebuild, new bearings, new shims, etc. and new wheel bearing while I have it all apart anyways.

Important note, this is an aftermarket differential not installed by me, bought the complete diff and just popped it in. Its an Auburn Differential if I remember correctly, cone-style instead of the OEM clutch style diff.

Thanks in advanced for the help everyone
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1422730394027.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	81.4 KB
ID:	174610   Click image for larger version

Name:	1422730412002.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	77.6 KB
ID:	174611  

Name:	1422730440401.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	174612  

Roxanne- 1998 Mustang GT Convertible: 5-Speed, 2001 PI 2V swap, o/r h-pipe, Magnaflow catback, MGW shifter,
3.73 gears, Auburn LSD, TA diff cover, MM FLSFCs, Ford Strut Tower Brace, J&M SS Brake Lines, and a lot of visual/restoration work.
DutchManDann is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2015, 02:04 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Yikes!!!

It definitely shouldn't look like that when you take the cover off of the differential!
The only way to tell if it is going to require a complete rebuild is to take it apart and inspect it, but for the cost of bearings and such, I think that I'd just start from scratch.
I had a cone style differential in my car for a while and it didn't quite last for one season of autocross so I replaced it with a Torsen. For a daily driver, I believe that the disc type clutches in the factory Trac-lok differential are a better choice than the cone type... At least, the discs can be replaced in the Trac-lok whereas the cone differential can not be rebuilt.
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 02:22 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by straybullitt View Post
Yikes!!!

It definitely shouldn't look like that when you take the cover off of the differential!
The only way to tell if it is going to require a complete rebuild is to take it apart and inspect it, but for the cost of bearings and such, I think that I'd just start from scratch.
I had a cone style differential in my car for a while and it didn't quite last for one season of autocross so I replaced it with a Torsen. For a daily driver, I believe that the disc type clutches in the factory Trac-lok differential are a better choice than the cone type... At least, the discs can be replaced in the Trac-lok whereas the cone differential can not be rebuilt.
Yeah it sucks but it could be worse, and nothing catastrophically failed while I was driving it. I will say I was hoping I could just do the bearing swap without any hiccups because now my cams are going to have to wait

I knew the cone-style diff wasn't ideal for street applications and can't be rebuilt when I bought the axle, but I figured for a car that never sees the drag strip it'd be alright. Now that I opened it up (which in hindsight, I should have done from the start), I may have been wrong and maybe I am just better off starting from scratch.

Well I'm gonna go pull everything apart then and post more pictures of what I find. I really don't want to get a whole new differential but if I have to then theres not much else I can do I suppose.

Roxanne- 1998 Mustang GT Convertible: 5-Speed, 2001 PI 2V swap, o/r h-pipe, Magnaflow catback, MGW shifter,
3.73 gears, Auburn LSD, TA diff cover, MM FLSFCs, Ford Strut Tower Brace, J&M SS Brake Lines, and a lot of visual/restoration work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2015, 02:31 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Your differential may be ok. Mine was just being used in what you might call "severe duty". It's typical for an autocross car.

It's possible that a bearing failed and you can just install a new set, re-set the backlash, and be back on the road.
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 02:49 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah I hope its alright. Mine definitely doesn't see the same abuse an autocross car would. Someday when I have the money building an autocross stang would be fun though.

The positive from this is that I figured out what was causing the really bad shuddering in my car. After driving for an hour or so the car would shudder really badly at low-rpms/high load. I'm guessing this was the issue as the whole diff has up and down play.

But anyways, I'm hoping to just do bearings and shim it and be done with it.

Sent from my XT1095 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

Old 02-22-2015, 04:21 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

So I finally got the time to pull the diff out. Obviously the shims were all garbage as seen in the original photos. Both carrier bearings are bad, the drivers side bearing being extremely bad and really to fly apart. The wear pattern on the gears seems really even, so im hoping the bearing is the only issue. Although reading up on Auburn differentials isn't very reassuring, they don't seem to be the most reliable.

Current plans are to put carrier bearings and re shim and then check how the gears mesh to make sure its all lined up.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1424643263490.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	175943   Click image for larger version

Name:	1424643450339.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	86.0 KB
ID:	175944  

Name:	1424643473019.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	175945   Click image for larger version

Name:	1424643496691.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	175946  

Old 02-22-2015, 04:25 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

I've done quite a few of the 8.8 they are decent I would do axle bearings as well it's easy since your axles are already out

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
jacobdlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 04:32 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1424644268.557679.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	175947Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1424644295.722957.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	175949Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1424644344.546761.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	175950

This is my last one blew both carriers apart

jacobdlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 05:27 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobdlaw View Post
I've done quite a few of the 8.8 they are decent I would do axle bearings as well it's easy since your axles are already out

Yup those will get done as well, I was originally planning to just do the axle bearings until I saw how bad the carrier bearings were.

And damn lol that looks really bad. I think I caught mine just in time if I'd waited a little longer mine would probably have looked like yours

Old 03-03-2015, 05:38 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Well I decided to pull the whole axle and have the whole thing gone over by a reputable diff shop that my dad uses for diesel truck differentials. They'll do all new bearings and seals for a good price (not much more than the whole bearing kit alone).

I could have done it myself, but I wanted some reassurance that it is put together properly this time and will hold up in the future. I'm hoping some day I'll get the chance to do a diff rebuild myself

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1425425693801.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	73.8 KB
ID:	176609  

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT