Chin spoiler and grille delete paint - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-01-2015, 08:26 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
robin_gt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Boca Raton
Region: Florida
Posts: 267
Chin spoiler and grille delete paint

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1422843697.928196.jpg
Views:	299
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	174704Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1422843716.520646.jpg
Views:	334
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	174705

So i wanted to paint the chin spoiler and the grille delete gloss black because i don't like the look of the plastic matte black. Has anyone done this before or knows what kind of paint to use? Thanks


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
robin_gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 02-01-2015, 08:40 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular
 
The_Chech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Charlotte
Region: North Carolina
Posts: 976
Quote:
Originally Posted by robin_gt View Post
Attachment 174704Attachment 174705

So i wanted to paint the chin spoiler and the grille delete gloss black because i don't like the look of the plastic matte black. Has anyone done this before or knows what kind of paint to use? Thanks


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

I've seen people paint it before but after installing my buddies front chin that thing is to flimsy that if you paint it off the car I have a feeling that it's going to crack and chip any type of paint just trying to reinstall it.


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
__________________


Oxford White Roush Stage 1 SN# 6925--SOLD but never forgotten!
Kona Blue GT premium - Slammed on BC's and BMR's full rear suspension
The_Chech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 08:43 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular
 
robin_gt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Boca Raton
Region: Florida
Posts: 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Chech View Post
I've seen people paint it before but after installing my buddies front chin that thing is to flimsy that if you paint it off the car I have a feeling that it's going to crack and chip any type of paint just trying to reinstall it.


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
what about gloss black spray paint?
robin_gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 02-01-2015, 08:55 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular
 
The_Chech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Charlotte
Region: North Carolina
Posts: 976
Quote:
Originally Posted by robin_gt View Post
what about gloss black spray paint?

You could try but just remember that the first time that the chin scrapes over some thing it's going to bend a lot. So depending on how heavy you go with paint and what clear coat you use you'll run the possibility of just tearing up that paint.


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
__________________


Oxford White Roush Stage 1 SN# 6925--SOLD but never forgotten!
Kona Blue GT premium - Slammed on BC's and BMR's full rear suspension
The_Chech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 09:15 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular
 
robin_gt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Boca Raton
Region: Florida
Posts: 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Chech View Post
You could try but just remember that the first time that the chin scrapes over some thing it's going to bend a lot. So depending on how heavy you go with paint and what clear coat you use you'll run the possibility of just tearing up that paint.
true that

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
robin_gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 10:56 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular
 
sonicpony03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: WI
Region: Wisconsin
Posts: 5,411
I know a couple of guys who painted their chin spoilers as well and lets just say they did it once, and gave up after the thing chipped and cracked in a few spots in one season.

Remember the majority of road debri ends up hitting the lower valence/bumper of your car. It's not as noticeable or damaging to the stock finish on the chin spoiler but I'm sure a painted surface would reflect the damage quite well.

Now the lower panel on the grille delete tends to hold up better so I'd say go for it on that piece.
__________________


12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

03 Sonic Blue 3.8 / 17 Magnetic Fusion Sport 2.7 EB
sonicpony03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 12:01 AM   #7
ME Bloodhound
Staff
 
Soccerluvr4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Sacramento/Bay Area
Region: California
Posts: 14,672
I wouldn't paint it, like said before it'll probably crack and chip.

What I did is use tire shine. Depending on the type you use. I use Adams tire shine and it actually works very well on all of my plastic and vinyl trim, even my chin spoiler and the Mach 1 grille delete.


Bullitts are better than Bullets
__________________

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 05:52 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular
 
robin_gt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Boca Raton
Region: Florida
Posts: 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
I wouldn't paint it, like said before it'll probably crack and chip.

What I did is use tire shine. Depending on the type you use. I use Adams tire shine and it actually works very well on all of my plastic and vinyl trim, even my chin spoiler and the Mach 1 grille delete.


Bullitts are better than Bullets
thats a really good idea definitely giving that a try! thanks
robin_gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 12:33 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular
 
rocknbronco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Region: Tennessee
Posts: 831
Find a product that will make it shine instead of painting it.
__________________
Mustang wanted for here...
rocknbronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 01:14 PM   #10
ME Bloodhound
Staff
 
Soccerluvr4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Sacramento/Bay Area
Region: California
Posts: 14,672
Quote:
Originally Posted by robin_gt View Post
thats a really good idea definitely giving that a try! thanks

You want the stuff that rubs on.


Bullitts are better than Bullets
__________________

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 06:40 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular
 
sonicpony03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: WI
Region: Wisconsin
Posts: 5,411
Good call on the shine Soccer. I've used a few different products over the years on my AM chin spoiler on my v6. Mothers Back to Black works pretty well in my experience. It is a liquid application you put on then buff out.

I use it on my shaker on the Mach to keep it from fading as well.
__________________


12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

03 Sonic Blue 3.8 / 17 Magnetic Fusion Sport 2.7 EB
sonicpony03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 06:53 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular
 
alecas447's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: miami
Region: Florida
Posts: 1,018
No mean to thread jack I have the chin spoiler and about to order the Mach 1 grill delete kit. Is the 3rd piece really necessary. I'm having a hard time justifying paying another $50 if all you need is to drill a hole. My question is will it look the same as the stock frame bs the optional frame?


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
alecas447 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 07:11 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular
 
sonicpony03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: WI
Region: Wisconsin
Posts: 5,411
Quote:
Originally Posted by alecas447 View Post
No mean to thread jack I have the chin spoiler and about to order the Mach 1 grill delete kit. Is the 3rd piece really necessary. I'm having a hard time justifying paying another $50 if all you need is to drill a hole. My question is will it look the same as the stock frame bs the optional frame?


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Not to further jack the thread but I highly recommend the third piece. I felt the same way and ordered the 2 piece and it looked unfinished. You can see the painted frame behind the pony and it just takes away from the look. Sucks that the piece is $50 now, it was only $30 when I ordered it years ago.

You might be able to find it cheaper elsewhere, so it might be worth it to order the 2pc and the 3rd piece separately.
__________________


12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

03 Sonic Blue 3.8 / 17 Magnetic Fusion Sport 2.7 EB
sonicpony03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 07:18 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular
 
alecas447's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: miami
Region: Florida
Posts: 1,018
Any thoughts on there I can find the 3rd piece for a better price


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
alecas447 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 07:41 PM   #15
ME Bloodhound
Staff
 
Soccerluvr4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Sacramento/Bay Area
Region: California
Posts: 14,672
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicpony03 View Post
Good call on the shine Soccer. I've used a few different products over the years on my AM chin spoiler on my v6. Mothers Back to Black works pretty well in my experience. It is a liquid application you put on then buff out.

I use it on my shaker on the Mach to keep it from fading as well.

I use that also. But it's too messy IMO. Small 8oz bottle of tire shine and a couple sprays onto a little pad it rubs on smooth and easy.


Bullitts are better than Bullets
__________________

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 07:41 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular
 
sonicpony03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: WI
Region: Wisconsin
Posts: 5,411
Stangmods has it in stock for 46.80, so a few bucks less than some other vendors.

I guess they aren't as abundant as they were 6 years ago when I bought mine. You could always try ebay, craiglist, or a junk yard/mustang specific salvage yard like MPS Auto Salvage or Prestige Mustang in Georgia.
__________________


12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

03 Sonic Blue 3.8 / 17 Magnetic Fusion Sport 2.7 EB
sonicpony03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 07:44 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular
 
sonicpony03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: WI
Region: Wisconsin
Posts: 5,411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
I use that also. But it's too messy IMO. Small 8oz bottle of tire shine and a couple sprays onto a little pad it rubs on smooth and easy.


Bullitts are better than Bullets
Yah it is a pita sometimes to work with but I do like how it restores the depth of the black finish without making it overly shiny and cheap looking like those wonderful Armor All products the experts down at CARQUEST are always pushing
__________________


12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

03 Sonic Blue 3.8 / 17 Magnetic Fusion Sport 2.7 EB
sonicpony03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 08:02 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular
 
Panther140's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: xxx
Region: Other
Posts: 1,473
Dirt Bike PC Racing Plastic Renew | MotoSport


Try some of this stuff. I used to use it on old beat up dirt bike plastics and it makes the rattiest looking stuff look brand new again. Its like headlight restore, except it works better and its for making plastic look shiny
Panther140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 08:05 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular
 
alecas447's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: miami
Region: Florida
Posts: 1,018
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicpony03 View Post
Stangmods has it in stock for 46.80, so a few bucks less than some other vendors.

I guess they aren't as abundant as they were 6 years ago when I bought mine. You could always try ebay, craiglist, or a junk yard/mustang specific salvage yard like MPS Auto Salvage or Prestige Mustang in Georgia.

I see not bad. My car has that part but I still don't know the difference between the stock and the 3rd piece


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
alecas447 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 09:24 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular
 
sonicpony03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: WI
Region: Wisconsin
Posts: 5,411
Quote:
Originally Posted by alecas447 View Post
I see not bad. My car has that part but I still don't know the difference between the stock and the 3rd piece


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Oh I remember seeing somewhere that the 99-00's had a black plastic piece from the factory. You can simply cut out the piece for the floating pony to attach and call it done. It will look fine.

I was assuming you didn't have the piece there already. I don't know why the hell Ford stopped putting that piece on the cars from the factory.
__________________


12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

03 Sonic Blue 3.8 / 17 Magnetic Fusion Sport 2.7 EB
sonicpony03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 09:42 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular
 
alecas447's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: miami
Region: Florida
Posts: 1,018
Chin spoiler and grille delete paint

Yea I have it. Now that raises another question so for those who don't have that piece from factory they have to buy that 3rd piece if they want the grill delete?

I have an 04 btw

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
alecas447 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 07:54 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular
 
sonicpony03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: WI
Region: Wisconsin
Posts: 5,411
Quote:
Originally Posted by alecas447 View Post
Yea I have it. Now that raises another question so for those who don't have that piece from factory they have to buy that 3rd piece if they want the grill delete?

I have an 04 btw

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
I guess so..that's weird that you have that piece and yours is an 04. I bought my car used (former rental unit with 17k) but I don't see any reason for it to have been removed. I know of others with 01+ that didn't have the piece from the factory either.

Oh and this thread has definitely been jacked lol.
__________________


12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

03 Sonic Blue 3.8 / 17 Magnetic Fusion Sport 2.7 EB
sonicpony03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 12:09 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular
 
alecas447's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: miami
Region: Florida
Posts: 1,018
Chin spoiler and grille delete paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicpony03 View Post
I guess so..that's weird that you have that piece and yours is an 04. I bought my car used (former rental unit with 17k) but I don't see any reason for it to have been removed. I know of others with 01+ that didn't have the piece from the factory either.



Oh and this thread has definitely been jacked lol.

Only reason I'm debating the 3rd piece is for the color. Looks a little darker where the stock one is dirty

Someone offered me just the delete part carbon fiber for $60 no pony tho

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
alecas447 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 12:40 AM   #24
ME Bloodhound
Staff
 
Soccerluvr4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Sacramento/Bay Area
Region: California
Posts: 14,672
Everyone has the piece where you can cut out the hole. The 3rd piece is for those who don't want to do any cutting.


Bullitts are better than Bullets
__________________

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 11:30 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular
 
alecas447's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: miami
Region: Florida
Posts: 1,018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
Everyone has the piece where you can cut out the hole. The 3rd piece is for those who don't want to do any cutting.


Bullitts are better than Bullets

Will it honestly make a difference appearance wise?


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
alecas447 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 11:51 AM   #26
ME Bloodhound
Staff
 
Soccerluvr4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Sacramento/Bay Area
Region: California
Posts: 14,672
Quote:
Originally Posted by alecas447 View Post
Will it honestly make a difference appearance wise?


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

Ehh not too much unless you don't like looking through at the radiator


Bullitts are better than Bullets
__________________

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 02:25 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular
 
alecas447's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: miami
Region: Florida
Posts: 1,018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
Ehh not too much unless you don't like looking through at the radiator


Bullitts are better than Bullets

How is that you can see the radiator more? Isn't the stock frame and 3rd piece basically identical?


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
alecas447 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wrecked Chin Stock Chin Spoiler iMpact32 2011-2014 Mustang GT 3 07-18-2014 08:37 AM
AM's Unpainted Chin Spoiler and CDC Chin Spoiler Tyrannax 2005-2010 V6 Mustang 3 10-15-2012 01:24 AM
wtt my billet grille for mach 1 grille/chin spoiler tigerfan2771 Mustang Parts for Sale and Wanted 1 07-11-2008 08:27 AM
grille delete/chin spoiler...the hassles tedness Mustang Audio & Video 13 03-23-2005 05:51 PM
pic request of mach 1 chin spoiler and grille delete.... project232 Mustang Audio & Video 16 03-08-2005 09:00 AM

» Like Us On Facebook



05:05 PM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.