Audio system for convertible - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-03-2015, 02:11 AM   #1

Region: Canada
Audio system for convertible

Hello everyone!
I have a good friend who got himself 04 Mustang convertible and very exited about it. He has a birthday coming soon and me and another several friends are thinking to get for him a new kit to replace his existing stereo and speakers. The problem is that none of us has similar car and any knowledge about car audio specs.
So I would appreciate if anyone here could help us to select the right components that will fit nicely to this model.
We would like to get him a new double-din head unit + set of speakers + amplifier (if the budget would allow)
So here are several questions that I have:
1. How many speakers this car has and what are their sizes?
2. Are there any specific requirements for this model that we need to know when choosing the equipment?
3. What are the advised speaker/amp/deck specs that we need to look for? For instance, what is the sufficient RMS? Or what audio specs the deck should have?
4. I heard that in some cases the wiring is replaced as well, is it true here? or he will be able to connect the new speakers on the existing wiring?
5. I've seen some amps that have 5 channels. Is it a good option in case he will want to add a sub in the future or should we go with regular 4 channel amp?

Our budget is not fixed and the goal is to get for him a good system but in a reasonable ranges. I would appreciate if you guys can offer some models that might be decent.

Thank you in advance!

Also, in case it is needed, his current head unit looks like this:
MrCHR is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2015, 07:48 PM   #2

help please?
Old 02-06-2015, 10:32 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
By any chance do you know if it is equipped with a mach 460 sound system, because if it is, then its best when you replace the deck and speakers, you run all new wiring. A 5-chennel amp would definitely be a good choice, since he can add a sub later down the road. As far as speaker size, I believe they are front 6x8 and back 6x8. someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
03redzo6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2015, 10:36 PM   #4

thanks for your reply, it is a MACH system
Old 02-06-2015, 10:48 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
Any double din situation should be okay as long as you get the right wiring harness adapter. Im not sure what the deal is with thes Mach 460 sounds systems, but the speakers are actually pretty good in my opinion. What I would do is see if you can get an adapter to hook the head unit up to the current speakers, and then get an amp to run a pair of 4 way 6x9s off of it that you wire in completely separate from the stock speakers.

Maybe get a 5 channel amp like this one: Power Acoustik RZ1-1500D Monoblock RAZOR Class D Amp (rz11500d)

That way he can put a subwoofer to it if he wants to (most people do after a while)

My brother is a pretty serious audiophile and he loves recommending this brand to people who are on a budget. Power Acoustik is actually made by soundstream, which is a high end brand. They are reliable amps, produce good sound quality, and are the best bang for your buck out there.

We have built 3 sound systems using nothing but Power Acoustik amps and they all have a really good sound. One was built for my dad who just likes a warm sounding radio that is also strong, the other is in our boat that just needed to be loud and also sound good, then there is the one in his car which is pretty elaborate and hits 150 db no problem.
Panther140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 10:49 PM   #6
Road Trip!
Regular

Region: Arizona
I think the sides are 6.5. Also since its the 460 he has the tweeter pods on the doors so i suggest getting a component system
Joser714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 11:18 PM   #7

Thanks for the feedback once again!
The Power Acoustik amp that you are referring to is showing on the website that it has 1 channel only, is it right? I tried to google for other models from this brand but couldn't find...

Anyways, I found Kenwood KAC-7005PS (sorry cannot post links) for a decent price, anyone knows if this one is good? Also after reading (too) many articles around the web I think we will get a double din receiver, the aforementioned amp, a pair of 100w component speakers that have separate tweeters for the front, and some low profile 10' sub for the trunk.

From what I found is that the rear pair is not really needed since its a small cabin plus a cabriolet, but in any case he will always be able to connect the rear pair to the amp that is in the receiver, am I right?

P.S. can anyone confirm please the size of the speakers? because different sources mention different sizes
Old 02-06-2015, 11:31 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
The speaker size are 6 x 8. Two in front and two In the rear. You cannot replace the speakers if you have the Mach system unless you ditch the mach and replace the whole system.

Sent from my LGLS990 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
XSlashDashX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 06:41 AM   #9
Road Trip!
Regular

Region: Arizona
Rear side are 6.5 6x8 if you had a coupe and for the front component i would also recommend 6.5 but with a 6x8 adapter
That's what i would recommend. When i changed mine i only did the front and left the rear stock
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1423312781466.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	175016  
Joser714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 11:54 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Try this. The original website is gone but you can get it through "Wayback.
Everything you ever wanted to know about Mach audio systems.

Mach 460 Information
vert03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 06:37 PM   #11

Thanks for the link, it is really useful!
Old 02-12-2015, 08:41 PM   #12

thank you everyone for the input! it was really helpful and we managed to figure out which parts to get.
If I remember in couple month I will give an update about how it sounds

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT