Eaton supercharger? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-04-2015, 10:53 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
SquatchMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Piedmont
Region: Missouri
Posts: 119
Eaton supercharger?

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1423068776.280617.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	123.2 KB
ID:	174839

Is this worth $350? And what else would I need?


40th Anniversary GT
__________________
04 GT
SquatchMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 02-04-2015, 11:08 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular
 
Mile high JDF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Thronton
Region: Colorado
Posts: 5,989
That's about the average price for one of those. You're going to need a $2k+ adaptor kit from Tork Tech to make it work along with fuel system upgrades and a tune
__________________
Sold - Black 2000 Mustang GT, gone but definitely not forgotten
- Silver 2007 Corvette
Current - DHG 2001 Bullitt
Mile high JDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 11:11 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular
 
SquatchMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Piedmont
Region: Missouri
Posts: 119
Welp that sucks lol


40th Anniversary GT
__________________
04 GT
SquatchMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 02-04-2015, 11:32 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular
 
Panther140's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: xxx
Region: Other
Posts: 1,473
Get one of those, get an intake adapter, and then put a carburetor on it like a draw through setup. EFI sucks cock as far as trying to modify goes.
I have seen people put an eaton m-95 supercharger on a ford 200 6 cylinder with a carburetor adapted to the back of it. The supercharger sucks your air fuel mix through it and then forces it into the engine.

WAYYYYY cheaper than going with the EFI route and you can tune it yourself at the gas station with a screwdriver.

It works well with the EAtons because the bearings in the eatons are sealed off from the passages that the air travels through. That way the fuel doesnt wash the bearings dry. Plus think about it, why would you put bearings in an area where they would be exposed to boost? Thats going to blow the grease out of the bearings.

Oh and another thing, the air fuel mix flowing with the air reduces the need for an intercooler. That is because air mixed with fuel is like 20% cooler than just raw air. Thats nother reason that carbs make more power than EFI. Another reason is that the fuel gets atomized dramatically better since it spends more time suspended in the air.

The one and only downside to a carb as opposed to EFI is that it doesnt self adjust for temperature. They DO self "adjust" for a situation that involves your engine making more horsepower. They meter fuel based on amount of vacuum
Panther140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 11:50 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular
 
Mile high JDF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Thronton
Region: Colorado
Posts: 5,989
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther140 View Post
Get one of those, get an intake adapter, and then put a carburetor on it like a draw through setup. EFI sucks cock as far as trying to modify goes.
I have seen people put an eaton m-95 supercharger on a ford 200 6 cylinder with a carburetor adapted to the back of it. The supercharger sucks your air fuel mix through it and then forces it into the engine.

WAYYYYY cheaper than going with the EFI route and you can tune it yourself at the gas station with a screwdriver.

It works well with the EAtons because the bearings in the eatons are sealed off from the passages that the air travels through. That way the fuel doesnt wash the bearings dry. Plus think about it, why would you put bearings in an area where they would be exposed to boost? Thats going to blow the grease out of the bearings.

Oh and another thing, the air fuel mix flowing with the air reduces the need for an intercooler. That is because air mixed with fuel is like 20% cooler than just raw air. Thats nother reason that carbs make more power than EFI. Another reason is that the fuel gets atomized dramatically better since it spends more time suspended in the air.

The one and only downside to a carb as opposed to EFI is that it doesnt self adjust for temperature. They DO self "adjust" for a situation that involves your engine making more horsepower. They meter fuel based on amount of vacuum
That sounds like a retarded idea to me. Where are you going to mount the carburetor? What are you gonna do about fuel distribution to the various cylinders? If you're gonna drop $3k+ on a supercharger setup why half *** a carb install on it when you can get better drive ability and reliability out of an efi setup?
__________________
Sold - Black 2000 Mustang GT, gone but definitely not forgotten
- Silver 2007 Corvette
Current - DHG 2001 Bullitt
Mile high JDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 12:34 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular
 
Panther140's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: xxx
Region: Other
Posts: 1,473
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mile high JDF View Post
That sounds like a retarded idea to me. Where are you going to mount the carburetor? What are you gonna do about fuel distribution to the various cylinders? If you're gonna drop $3k+ on a supercharger setup why half *** a carb install on it when you can get better drive ability and reliability out of an efi setup?
The fuel gets distributed to the cylinders the same way air is distributed to the cylinders, by volumetric demand.
You mount the carb to the supercharger.
You dont need to spend 3k on it either.
All you need to do is mount the supercharger to the intake, mount the carb to the SC'er, and put a belt over the pulley. Then adjust timing via CDI box.

http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/eato...-178431-3.html
Panther140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 01:05 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular
 
smurf stang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Miami
Region: Florida
Posts: 1,341
Mustang Supercharger Kits, GT, Cobra | Tork Tech


Not a simple budget plan but a little cheaper I guess.
__________________
2016 VW GTI 2.0 Turbo

1989 Sonic Blue LX Coupe, 349 ci, TW heads, TFS Track Heat Intake, 75mm Accufab TB, 80mm ProM, 30 lb. inj, TKO, 3.73, 31 spline w/ TruTrac, MAC 1-5/8" LT headers w/ H pipe, Flowmaster, electric fan Moates QH
391 rwhp & 424 rwtq...Mustang Dyno 11.5@122mph
smurf stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 06:14 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular
 
Panther140's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: xxx
Region: Other
Posts: 1,473
Holy **** balls. $2500 for an intake manifold, intercooler, and a belt tensioner?

---------- Post added at 06:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:13 PM ----------

I could literally buy a welder, take a welding class, and get some of my own aluminum for that price.

---------- Post added at 06:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:14 PM ----------

I could literally buy a welder, take a welding class, and get some of my own aluminum for that price.
Panther140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 06:22 PM   #9
Registered Member

Regular
 
Recon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Hopkinsville
Region: Kentucky
Posts: 6,514
That's actually not a bad price.
And just to let you know force induction in a homemade intake is a very bad idea.


Go away fat man...
-Stewie
__________________
Mustangalley.com
Mustang of the day,
July 12, 2015
Recon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 09:45 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular
 
Panther140's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: xxx
Region: Other
Posts: 1,473
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Recon View Post
That's actually not a bad price.
And just to let you know force induction in a homemade intake is a very bad idea.


Go away fat man...
-Stewie
I guess I could see how it would be easy to screw up. The right amount of effort and I think you could make something that can hold 10-15 psi pretty easily. Ive seen more impressive feats
Panther140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 09:55 PM   #11
Registered Member

Regular
 
Recon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Hopkinsville
Region: Kentucky
Posts: 6,514
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther140 View Post
I guess I could see how it would be easy to screw up. The right amount of effort and I think you could make something that can hold 10-15 psi pretty easily. Ive seen more impressive feats

Speaking from personal experience...

You might not know how incredibly easy it is to improperly weld part of the intake. With 10 lbs of boost it broke the intake and forced metal into the heads, causing one intake valve to make contact with the piston. Puncturing the piston and causing chunks of metal to break the crank. While having the piston slam into the cylinder wall and busting a hole in the block. We literally destroyed the engine... (Boss 520)
Long story short...
BUY A FORCE INDUCTION INTAKE!!!! DONT MAKE ONE!!!!


Go away fat man...
-Stewie
__________________
Mustangalley.com
Mustang of the day,
July 12, 2015
Recon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 07:49 PM   #12
Staff
Regular
Staff
 
scottydsntknow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: JB MDL
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 16,581
Cheapest/best budget way to put a blower on a Mustang is a Vortech S trim. And then you have to make sure the rest of the vehicle is setup for the power. Plenty of dyno queen cars on stock/stockish suspension that will get their asses handed to them in a race by a car making a lot less power but properly setup.
__________________
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 10:34 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular
 
thyreaper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 328
Eaton supercharger?

Yep, spinning aint winning, and a very good carb that could do boost u could easily spend 1k+ for that i could get everything i needed and pay for the tune for 400whp (already did it) and have stockish drivability until i put my foot into it, theres a reason high hp cars are fuel injected and not carb'd ... Id rathar bave it programmed and never have to worry about it even when the temp changes... And efi cars atomize fuel better i dunno where u get ur info from but the only way id ever go carb is if i had a rolling shell and i put together the motor and all ( in which id go a big block chevy high comp with nitrious ..ect) and even then i think id get one of those tuneable systems for 1500 instead of buying a carb


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
thyreaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 10:52 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular
 
Panther140's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: xxx
Region: Other
Posts: 1,473
Quote:
Originally Posted by thyreaper View Post
Yep, spinning aint winning, and a very good carb that could do boost u could easily spend 1k+ for that i could get everything i needed and pay for the tune for 400whp (already did it) and have stockish drivability until i put my foot into it, theres a reason high hp cars are fuel injected and not carb'd ... Id rathar bave it programmed and never have to worry about it even when the temp changes... And efi cars atomize fuel better i dunno where u get ur info from but the only way id ever go carb is if i had a rolling shell and i put together the motor and all ( in which id go a big block chevy high comp with nitrious ..ect) and even then i think id get one of those tuneable systems for 1500 instead of buying a carb


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Efi pissing fuel into the port doesn't atomize like a fog of air/fuel being drawn in through a carb then into the intake and then into the port and then into the cylinder.

Adobe Flash Player - Free Software Download | Favdownloads=

The only real advantage to EFI is that it self tunes.
WHere are you getting a tunable EFI kit that comes with injectors, computer, harness, software, tuner, fuel pump, fuel relay, high pressure fuel lines, and Wideband O2 sensors for $1500?

Even so, I got my carb for $100 used, a $30 fuel pump, and some cheap lines. I could get a wideband with a guage and jet the carb to run spot on at all throttle positions. $5 main jets, a $10 step up spring kit, and a $150 O2 sensor kit. The best part is, a carb will never leave you totally stranded like EFI has done to me so many times.

Ever hear of an issue like PATS malfunction on a carbureted car?
Panther140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 12:51 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular
 
thyreaper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 328
Eaton supercharger?

U can get pgm efi systems for 1500 i saw some in the magazine, they are the units that look like carbs but have injectors in them and yes it comes as a full system that's programable..... And u leave ur in tank pump alone unless ur going for the big leagues.....Thats the closest id get to a carb, and injectors dont piss fuel if u have good injectors they should be spraying a mist not a straight stream of fuel , and with the new efi systems nowadays u can do boost by gear in which ur tune would be different for each gear as the more boost u give the motor in a higher gear the more fuel it will need, try doing that with a carb it wont happen, like i said theres a reason top fuel cars, indy cars...ect have fuel injection motors....


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
thyreaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 02:10 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular
 
Panther140's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: xxx
Region: Other
Posts: 1,473
Quote:
Originally Posted by thyreaper View Post
U can get pgm efi systems for 1500 i saw some in the magazine, they are the units that look like carbs but have injectors in them and yes it comes as a full system that's programable..... And u leave ur in tank pump alone unless ur going for the big leagues.....Thats the closest id get to a carb, and injectors dont piss fuel if u have good injectors they should be spraying a mist not a straight stream of fuel , and with the new efi systems nowadays u can do boost by gear in which ur tune would be different for each gear as the more boost u give the motor in a higher gear the more fuel it will need, try doing that with a carb it wont happen, like i said theres a reason top fuel cars, indy cars...ect have fuel injection motors....


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Nascar does plenty fine with carbureted fuel metering. And look at how much power the sport bikes made with carbs. 140 horsepower per liter BONE stock 17 years ago. Then they got EFI and didn't gain any horsepower..

Or my Dirtbike.. 200 horsepower per liter using a carb and like 3 moving parts in the engine.
Panther140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 02:26 PM   #17
Staff
Regular
Staff
 
scottydsntknow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: JB MDL
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 16,581
Oy, here we go pissing match...
__________________
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 02:28 PM   #18
Registered Member

Regular
 
natestang07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Soap Lake
Region: Washington
Posts: 5,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Oy, here we go pissing match...
I can pee better than you and I know it!

Sent from my VS985 4G using Mustang Evolution mobile app
natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 02:40 PM   #19
Staff
Regular
Staff
 
scottydsntknow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: JB MDL
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 16,581
Quote:
Originally Posted by natestang07 View Post
I can pee better than you and I know it!

Sent from my VS985 4G using Mustang Evolution mobile app
I just had like 3 cups of coffee and a monster because #monday.
__________________
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 02:44 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular
 
Slater2111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Jacksonville
Region: Florida
Posts: 1,001
Still haven't seen your carb swap run, Panther...


Sent from the mothership.
Slater2111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 02:48 PM   #21
Registered Member

Regular
 
natestang07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Soap Lake
Region: Washington
Posts: 5,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
I just had like 3 cups of coffee and a monster because #monday.
Shoot monster is game over when it comes to the bladder lol

Sent from my VS985 4G using Mustang Evolution mobile app
natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 01:04 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular
 
Panther140's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: xxx
Region: Other
Posts: 1,473
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slater2111 View Post
Still haven't seen your carb swap run, Panther...


Sent from the mothership.
Yeah cuz it looks janky as **** lol. I need to get a legit adapter for my intake, not the wooden one that I have on it now lmao.
Panther140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Treo of Shelby's in Easton, Pa SLDGT500 Shelby Mustang 9 01-01-2014 09:33 AM
Next Gen Electric Supercharger??? Rellik Pre-2005 V6 Mustang 31 10-13-2003 08:03 AM
supercharger el cheapo Pre-2005 V6 Mustang 0 08-20-2003 11:34 PM
$200+ complete supercharger, help Stang01 Pre-2005 V6 Mustang 3 07-20-2003 05:07 PM
Supercharger or Nitrous? ERICK Pre-2005 V6 Mustang 8 05-12-2003 03:41 PM

» Like Us On Facebook



10:33 AM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.