Drag Radials on stock 5 Speed GT? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-05-2015, 09:46 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
Panther140's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: xxx
Region: Other
Posts: 1,473
Drag Radials on stock 5 Speed GT?

So I decided that I cannot afford any power adders or anything that's going to add real HP to my car, but I still want to accelerate faster..

If I put some drag radials on, would I get noticeably better 0-30 times? The majority of the workout my car gets is messing around with my friends doing 0-60 pulls out in the middle of nowhere. Theres also a giant car event coming up in the Wisconsin Dells called Automotion and I want to be able to launch faster than usual.

My car makes about 25 hp more than stock right now, so what kind of RPM would I be able to launch at with some decent tires?
Panther140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 02-05-2015, 04:47 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular
 
The_Chech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Charlotte
Region: North Carolina
Posts: 976
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther140 View Post
So I decided that I cannot afford any power adders or anything that's going to add real HP to my car, but I still want to accelerate faster..

If I put some drag radials on, would I get noticeably better 0-30 times? The majority of the workout my car gets is messing around with my friends doing 0-60 pulls out in the middle of nowhere. Theres also a giant car event coming up in the Wisconsin Dells called Automotion and I want to be able to launch faster than usual.

My car makes about 25 hp more than stock right now, so what kind of RPM would I be able to launch at with some decent tires?

You need suspension work to make the car grip better a new tire alone won't achieve that


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
__________________


Oxford White Roush Stage 1 SN# 6925--SOLD but never forgotten!
Kona Blue GT premium - Slammed on BC's and BMR's full rear suspension
The_Chech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 04:26 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: SoCal
Region: California
Posts: 65
I could be wrong, but I thought with a good sticky tire, there is a possibility of breaking the rear end. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
03redzo6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 02-06-2015, 05:03 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular
 
The_Chech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Charlotte
Region: North Carolina
Posts: 976
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03redzo6 View Post
I could be wrong, but I thought with a good sticky tire, there is a possibility of breaking the rear end. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Don't think so if the car is close to stock maybe is it was cammed way the hell out or has a power adder


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
__________________


Oxford White Roush Stage 1 SN# 6925--SOLD but never forgotten!
Kona Blue GT premium - Slammed on BC's and BMR's full rear suspension
The_Chech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 10:50 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular
 
Panther140's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: xxx
Region: Other
Posts: 1,473
Yeah I think I should just focus on suspension. What is the cheapest way to make the rear end hook up good in a straight line off of a launch? I cant afford to just get all kind of suspension work done
Panther140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 11:08 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular
 
Slater2111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Jacksonville
Region: Florida
Posts: 1,001
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther140 View Post
Yeah I think I should just focus on suspension. What is the cheapest way to make the rear end hook up good in a straight line off of a launch? I cant afford to just get all kind of suspension work done

Start with some good rear lower control arms. Don't get solid poly bushings either.


Sent from the mothership.
Slater2111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 12:21 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular
 
Panther140's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: xxx
Region: Other
Posts: 1,473
Im pretty sure that a tire with a stickier compound, softer sidewall, and bigger contact patch is going to bring real improvements. How could it not?
Panther140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 01:08 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular
 
The_Chech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Charlotte
Region: North Carolina
Posts: 976
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther140 View Post
Im pretty sure that a tire with a stickier compound, softer sidewall, and bigger contact patch is going to bring real improvements. How could it not?

Because the suspension is going to flex and pop causing the rear tire to loose traction


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
__________________


Oxford White Roush Stage 1 SN# 6925--SOLD but never forgotten!
Kona Blue GT premium - Slammed on BC's and BMR's full rear suspension
The_Chech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 01:11 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular
 
The_Chech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Charlotte
Region: North Carolina
Posts: 976
If you look at the control arms in the rear, they're cheap stamped pieces of metal. That's why most that actually make a good lower control arm are tubular with either a solid metal bushing or poly bushing in design so there is no way of it to flex like the stamped stock ones with rubber bushings.


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
__________________


Oxford White Roush Stage 1 SN# 6925--SOLD but never forgotten!
Kona Blue GT premium - Slammed on BC's and BMR's full rear suspension
The_Chech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 03:11 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular
 
The_Chech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Charlotte
Region: North Carolina
Posts: 976
Drag Radials on stock 5 Speed GT?

Double post......
__________________


Oxford White Roush Stage 1 SN# 6925--SOLD but never forgotten!
Kona Blue GT premium - Slammed on BC's and BMR's full rear suspension
The_Chech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 04:12 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular
 
Panther140's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: xxx
Region: Other
Posts: 1,473
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Chech View Post
If you look at the control arms in the rear, they're cheap stamped pieces of metal. That's why most that actually make a good lower control arm are tubular with either a solid metal bushing or poly bushing in design so there is no way of it to flex like the stamped stock ones with rubber bushings.


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Ohh I see now. Yeah that sounds retarded. A rubber bushing and stamped control arm?

Im used to dirtbikes where we had swingarms that could take landings from 50' high on a regular basis lol. So it didn't even occur to me how cheap they made these ones.
Panther140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 10:40 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: SoCal
Region: California
Posts: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Chech View Post
Don't think so if the car is close to stock maybe is it was cammed way the hell out or has a power adder


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
That's good to know
03redzo6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 12:26 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular
 
Speed_Mister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Central Arkansas
Region: Arkansas
Posts: 1,220
Your rearend will be fine, unless you do a 4k+ rpm launch. But yes with drag radial you are more likely to break something, rather than slicks which would wrinkle absorbing most of impact.


2004 Mustang GT 5 Speed Full Bolt On 360rwhp 440rwtq
__________________
2004 Mustang GT 5 Speed
Full Bolt Ons
370rwhp 470rwtq
12.1 @ 117.9 (1.7) in 1/4th
7.6 @ 92.1 (1.6) in 1/8th
Speed_Mister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 10:48 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular
 
Panther140's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: xxx
Region: Other
Posts: 1,473
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed_Mister View Post
Your rearend will be fine, unless you do a 4k+ rpm launch. But yes with drag radial you are more likely to break something, rather than slicks which would wrinkle absorbing most of impact.


2004 Mustang GT 5 Speed Full Bolt On 360rwhp 440rwtq
Will slicks grip the road better? Id rather have slicks tbh. Im not going to daily drive with slicks or drag radials id just put them on when I go to car meets or when I need to go fast
Panther140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 12:30 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Salinas
Region: California
Posts: 7,417
Yes. They will!
Of course, doing the whole suspension, you would get the maximum benefit from the tires, but, for sure, the tires are going to help.

The clutch should always be the weak link in the drivetrain, on a street car anyways. Wouldn't it be better to limp your car home from the track, with a burnt out clutch, than to have to tow it home with a broken transmission, drive shaft, differential, axle, etc?
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 04:15 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular
 
Speed_Mister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Central Arkansas
Region: Arkansas
Posts: 1,220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther140 View Post
Will slicks grip the road better? Id rather have slicks tbh. Im not going to daily drive with slicks or drag radials id just put them on when I go to car meets or when I need to go fast

Ehh. I drove on slicks some when I was young and learning it's okay for easy driving wouldn't recommend it. But when it rains you're screwed. I was literally losing traction on cruise control going 55 with slicks on, I had to slow down to like 30mph. Of course if you heated the tires up they hook ok especially if you prep the street and tires with track bite. But we ain't about that street racing here so don't do that. I'm sticking with drag radial actually just because I know I will drive the car to car meets and to the track. But radials especially on a 17inch rim are asking to break differentials, axles, and ripping out control arm bushings. I would do the 15 inch rim with mt streets. It's a 275 tire with a lot of sidewalk and sticky tires is all you need. I know 1000rwhp cars on nitrous use this tires. And yes you can still break stuff with 15 inch rim on radials just more people get away with it than 17inch rims with radials to and with slicks it's not very common to see people break stuff. Get the 15 inch rim radials mt streets 275. They are cheap tires for the size also at the right places.


2004 Mustang GT 5 Speed Full Bolt On 360rwhp 440rwtq
__________________
2004 Mustang GT 5 Speed
Full Bolt Ons
370rwhp 470rwtq
12.1 @ 117.9 (1.7) in 1/4th
7.6 @ 92.1 (1.6) in 1/8th
Speed_Mister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 04:17 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular
 
Speed_Mister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Central Arkansas
Region: Arkansas
Posts: 1,220
Quote:
Originally Posted by straybullitt View Post
Yes. They will!
Of course, doing the whole suspension, you would get the maximum benefit from the tires, but, for sure, the tires are going to help.

The clutch should always be the weak link in the drivetrain, on a street car anyways. Wouldn't it be better to limp your car home from the track, with a burnt out clutch, than to have to tow it home with a broken transmission, drive shaft, differential, axle, etc?

Yes. I'm on the factory clutch with 93,000 miles and 370rwhp. My clutch hates me after I hot lap the car. I should probably invest in a new rearend, and clutch before I destroy everything with radials.


2004 Mustang GT 5 Speed Full Bolt On 360rwhp 440rwtq
__________________
2004 Mustang GT 5 Speed
Full Bolt Ons
370rwhp 470rwtq
12.1 @ 117.9 (1.7) in 1/4th
7.6 @ 92.1 (1.6) in 1/8th
Speed_Mister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 02:03 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular
 
thyreaper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 328
What power adder u have to get 370 rwhp? Stock with just reg boltons wont get that #


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
thyreaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 02:24 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular
 
Panther140's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: xxx
Region: Other
Posts: 1,473
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed_Mister View Post
Yes. I'm on the factory clutch with 93,000 miles and 370rwhp. My clutch hates me after I hot lap the car. I should probably invest in a new rearend, and clutch before I destroy everything with radials.


2004 Mustang GT 5 Speed Full Bolt On 360rwhp 440rwtq
Yeah 370 is pushing it, especially rwhp lol. 360 rwhp and 440 rwtq? That must be a long list of bolt ons lol. Does nitrous count as a bolt on in your book? lol
Panther140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 05:44 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular
 
Speed_Mister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Central Arkansas
Region: Arkansas
Posts: 1,220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther140 View Post
Yeah 370 is pushing it, especially rwhp lol. 360 rwhp and 440 rwtq? That must be a long list of bolt ons lol. Does nitrous count as a bolt on in your book? lol

Nah I'm on a ebay turbo kit.


2004 Mustang GT 5 Speed Full Bolt On 360rwhp 440rwtq

---------- Post added at 06:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:43 PM ----------

Actually I'm all motor..


2004 Mustang GT 5 Speed Full Bolt On 360rwhp 440rwtq

---------- Post added at 06:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:44 PM ----------

Unless my alternator supercharger starts whining then I tell people it's supercharged.


2004 Mustang GT 5 Speed Full Bolt On 360rwhp 440rwtq
__________________
2004 Mustang GT 5 Speed
Full Bolt Ons
370rwhp 470rwtq
12.1 @ 117.9 (1.7) in 1/4th
7.6 @ 92.1 (1.6) in 1/8th
Speed_Mister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 05:46 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular
 
Speed_Mister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Central Arkansas
Region: Arkansas
Posts: 1,220
Okay yeah I'm on nitrous. I like to keep it running lean. Like 11.8-11.7 a/f lean. 😁


2004 Mustang GT 5 Speed Full Bolt On 360rwhp 440rwtq
__________________
2004 Mustang GT 5 Speed
Full Bolt Ons
370rwhp 470rwtq
12.1 @ 117.9 (1.7) in 1/4th
7.6 @ 92.1 (1.6) in 1/8th
Speed_Mister is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
drag radials on v6 rims, kumho's on black bullitts whipster24 Mustang Parts for Sale and Wanted 2 01-19-2006 06:20 PM
16x8 wheels for drag radials whipster24 Mustang Parts for Sale and Wanted 5 09-04-2004 11:02 AM
F/S: BFG P275/50/R15 Drag Radials for Sale KrazyPony Mustang Parts for Sale and Wanted 27 06-20-2004 05:23 PM
wtb bfg drag radials johnnybgood Mustang Parts for Sale and Wanted 0 06-09-2004 08:18 PM
F/S: BFG Drag Radials 15" P275/50/R15 KrazyPony Mustang Parts for Sale and Wanted 3 02-11-2004 06:14 PM

» Like Us On Facebook



04:52 PM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.