SLP loudmouth power loss - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-05-2015, 10:20 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
joe_117's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 662
SLP loudmouth power loss

So on this theory, when you install this set up there is a slight power loss in low end torque due to no back little back pressure but horsepower gain. I do notice that ever since I installed these it doesn't go as hard as my old flowmaster but in the higher rpms it pulls harder.

So my question is, should I switch to bassani catback exhaust for performance gain?


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
joe_117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 02-05-2015, 10:24 PM   #2
Registered Member

Regular
 
natestang07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Soap Lake
Region: Washington
Posts: 5,321
First off back pressure is bs. What is your current setup? I doubt different mufflers made a noticeable difference might be a placebo

Sent from my VS985 4G using Mustang Evolution mobile app
natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 11:10 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular
 
joe_117's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 662
Quote:
Originally Posted by natestang07 View Post
First off back pressure is bs. What is your current setup? I doubt different mufflers made a noticeable difference might be a placebo

Sent from my VS985 4G using Mustang Evolution mobile app

SLP loudmouth 1 resonators. Rest is stock. And man it's something. Like when I punch it it doesn't set me back like my flowmasters did. I felt like I went faster taking off with the flowmaster. With this current set up I don't feel that way anymore. But in the high end rpms it's better than my flowmasters. It goes quicker


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

---------- Post added at 05:10 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:10 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by natestang07 View Post
First off back pressure is bs. What is your current setup? I doubt different mufflers made a noticeable difference might be a placebo

Sent from my VS985 4G using Mustang Evolution mobile app

Placebo?


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
joe_117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 02-05-2015, 11:18 PM   #4
Registered Member

Regular
 
natestang07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Soap Lake
Region: Washington
Posts: 5,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_117 View Post
SLP loudmouth 1 resonators. Rest is stock. And man it's something. Like when I punch it it doesn't set me back like my flowmasters did. I felt like I went faster taking off with the flowmaster. With this current set up I don't feel that way anymore. But in the high end rpms it's better than my flowmasters. It goes quicker


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

---------- Post added at 05:10 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:10 AM ----------




Placebo?


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
In other words you are imagining it. Maybe something else is going on somewhere because a resonator should not change that noticeably

Sent from my VS985 4G using Mustang Evolution mobile app
natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 11:23 PM   #5
ME Bloodhound
Staff
 
Soccerluvr4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Sacramento/Bay Area
Region: California
Posts: 14,672
Myth, placebo, imaginary, not real........... Got any more synonyms?


Bullitts are better than Bullets
__________________

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 11:28 PM   #6
Registered Member

Regular
 
natestang07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Soap Lake
Region: Washington
Posts: 5,321
Mantei Teio's girlfriend

Sent from my VS985 4G using Mustang Evolution mobile app
natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 11:34 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular
 
joe_117's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 662
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
Myth, placebo, imaginary, not real........... Got any more synonyms?


Bullitts are better than Bullets

Man I don't know. It may be just me, but it doesn't push me back anymore like my flowmasters did. It's weird, but I'm probably changing my SLPs to bassani cat back, with kooks headers and off road x pipe.


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

---------- Post added at 05:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:34 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by natestang07 View Post
In other words you are imagining it. Maybe something else is going on somewhere because a resonator should not change that noticeably

Sent from my VS985 4G using Mustang Evolution mobile app

Lol I like how they sound I just don't like what it's done.


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
joe_117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 11:36 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular
 
joe_117's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 662
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
Myth, placebo, imaginary, not real........... Got any more synonyms?


Bullitts are better than Bullets

It COULD be tires. There bald now well the back left tire is, I have bad wheel spin. But when it had tread they sorta in a way felt as if I lost performance. I DID notice that when I go it goes fast in the high end


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
joe_117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 11:49 PM   #9
Registered Member

Regular
 
Recon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Hopkinsville
Region: Kentucky
Posts: 6,507
You might consider a cherry bomb vortex muffler. I had a flowmaster 40 series on my truck with 3in pipe, and converted to a cherry bomb vortex and 2 1/2 in piping. I could tell an improvement in the trucks performance and it improved my gas mileage up 3miles per gal. average. Tone/loudness is about the same.
Just my .02 on the situation.


Dear IRS, please cancel my subscription...
__________________
Mustangalley.com
Mustang of the day,
July 12, 2015
Recon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 12:04 AM   #10
ME Bloodhound
Staff
 
Soccerluvr4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Sacramento/Bay Area
Region: California
Posts: 14,672
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_117 View Post
It COULD be tires. There bald now well the back left tire is, I have bad wheel spin. But when it had tread they sorta in a way felt as if I lost performance. I DID notice that when I go it goes fast in the high end


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
In terms of getting off the line with or without spinning there are a ton of factors that come into play besides the tires being bald or not.

1. Driver skill
2. The Road condition
3. Tire tread
4. Tire compound
5. Temperature outside
6. Tire pressure
7. Condition of clutches in differential

If your car has stock type tires and stock suspension i have no doubt that you can easily spin the tires, especially if they have little tread left. With more competition style tires there is something called heat cycling out, which can happen before the tread is all the way gone. Thats when they get to their optimum temperature then back down to cold a certain amount of time. After a number of times doing this they will lose their grip and turn harder, even if there is tread left.
__________________

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 12:10 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular
 
joe_117's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 662
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
In terms of getting off the line with or without spinning there are a ton of factors that come into play besides the tires being bald or not.



1. Driver skill

2. The Road condition

3. Tire tread

4. Tire compound

5. Temperature outside

6. Tire pressure

7. Condition of clutches in differential



If your car has stock type tires and stock suspension i have no doubt that you can easily spin the tires, especially if they have little tread left. With more competition style tires there is something called heat cycling out, which can happen before the tread is all the way gone. Thats when they get to their optimum temperature then back down to cold a certain amount of time. After a number of times doing this they will lose their grip and turn harder, even if there is tread left.

So I should do suspension before doing anything?


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
joe_117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 12:14 AM   #12
ME Bloodhound
Staff
 
Soccerluvr4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Sacramento/Bay Area
Region: California
Posts: 14,672
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_117 View Post
So I should do suspension before doing anything?


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Correct

What use is more power if you can't even get your stock power level to the ground effectively?
__________________

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 12:52 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular
 
joe_117's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 662
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
Correct



What use is more power if you can't even get your stock power level to the ground effectively?

Very true, what do you recommend?...


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
joe_117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 12:58 AM   #14
ME Bloodhound
Staff
 
Soccerluvr4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Sacramento/Bay Area
Region: California
Posts: 14,672
Subframe connectors
Rear lower control arms
Panhard Bar
Torque Arm
Springs/shocks/struts


Bullitts are better than Bullets
__________________

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 01:06 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular
 
joe_117's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 662
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
Subframe connectors
Rear lower control arms
Panhard Bar
Torque Arm
Springs/shocks/struts


Bullitts are better than Bullets

Lordy, we'll looks like exhaust money is gone lol.


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
joe_117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 04:47 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: SoCal
Region: California
Posts: 65
I'm confused cause I thought you said your tires were bald. If your tires are bald and your just spinning, how could you tell it got slower if your not putting the power down and just spinning.
03redzo6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 07:29 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular
 
joe_117's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 662
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03redzo6 View Post
I'm confused cause I thought you said your tires were bald. If your tires are bald and your just spinning, how could you tell it got slower if your not putting the power down and just spinning.

Because when I had tread I still felt the same way. I know bald tires don't help but when they were good it still felt like it.


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
joe_117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 07:59 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular
 
XSlashDashX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Silsbee
Region: Texas
Posts: 1,224
I had similar issue awhile back. Had no mufflers and wow, felt like I was dragging something. Put mufflers on and it's back to normal. Get up and go.

Sent from my LGLS990 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
XSlashDashX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 08:23 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular
 
joe_117's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 662
Quote:
Originally Posted by XSlashDashX View Post
I had similar issue awhile back. Had no mufflers and wow, felt like I was dragging something. Put mufflers on and it's back to normal. Get up and go.

Sent from my LGLS990 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

So you know what I'm talking about from experience. Resonators are basically straight pipes honestly. But I'm getting bassani catback. I just don't like changing from one to the next and it being something that I feel that I didn't gain on anything.

What exhaust do you have?


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
joe_117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 11:17 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular
 
Panther140's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: xxx
Region: Other
Posts: 1,473
Taking your mufflers off doesnt lose horsepower. It just makes you think your car is working harder to go the same speed. You're used to hearing 80db when your car is making 260 horsepower at 5800 rpm, but now your engine makes 80 db when its at 3000 rpms when its only making like 190 horse, so you get the feeling that your car is slower. In reality, 90% of cars actually gain horspower AND torque when the mufflers come off. More often than not, they gain more torque than they do horsepower.

But when you put the mufflers back on you get the illusion that your engine is more torquey because it sounds like its barely working hard to propel you. It is an illusion. My brother and I used to have the same exact car in high school.

Both were toyota avalons. One day, my exhaust fell off so all I had was the manifolds and the down pipe on the car. We drag raced like we had a few times before, and the results were the exact same. Both cars were exactly neck and neck regardless of me having muffler on or not.

Horsepower is not lost. Its actually gained in small amounts by removing mufflers.
Thats just according to all the dynos I have looked at. From BMWs to Challengers. Same story every time.
Panther140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 11:39 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular
 
thelastsumurai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Region: Florida
Posts: 371
I had the same thing happen. Installed electric cutouts lost low end when they were open. Pick up low end power again. People that say back pressure is bs. Don't know what they are talking about. Track times were about the same, but 60 ft times were down that told me I lost low end power but pick up up at high rpm. That's all great. But I drive on the street 99.9% of the time so top end up is meaningless for daily driver.
thelastsumurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 12:38 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular
 
XSlashDashX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Silsbee
Region: Texas
Posts: 1,224
Don't care for horsepower. I know it wasn't an illusion, lol. I was running just catted x pipe with no mufflers. Now I have upr off road x pipe with flowmasters 40s. Thinking about switching to stingers though.

Sent from my LGLS990 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
XSlashDashX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 01:58 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular
 
joe_117's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 662
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther140 View Post
Taking your mufflers off doesnt lose horsepower. It just makes you think your car is working harder to go the same speed. You're used to hearing 80db when your car is making 260 horsepower at 5800 rpm, but now your engine makes 80 db when its at 3000 rpms when its only making like 190 horse, so you get the feeling that your car is slower. In reality, 90% of cars actually gain horspower AND torque when the mufflers come off. More often than not, they gain more torque than they do horsepower.

But when you put the mufflers back on you get the illusion that your engine is more torquey because it sounds like its barely working hard to propel you. It is an illusion. My brother and I used to have the same exact car in high school.

Both were toyota avalons. One day, my exhaust fell off so all I had was the manifolds and the down pipe on the car. We drag raced like we had a few times before, and the results were the exact same. Both cars were exactly neck and neck regardless of me having muffler on or not.

Horsepower is not lost. Its actually gained in small amounts by removing mufflers.
Thats just according to all the dynos I have looked at. From BMWs to Challengers. Same story every time.

Use to with the flowmaster it would pull me back and stuff, seemed like my car pulled harder and was quicker at launch. With my SLPs on it doesn't feel that way but in high rpms I go quicker


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
joe_117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 11:19 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: SoCal
Region: California
Posts: 65
I think you just got use to the power, but if you feel that it impacted the power so much, why don't you just swap the exhaust back and see if you notice anything.
03redzo6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 11:21 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: SoCal
Region: California
Posts: 65
Or maybe there could be something wrong with the car also. Check to see if there are any codes like others said.
03redzo6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 11:39 PM   #26
Lorraine's driver

Regular
 
ab_mach1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Indianapolis
Region: Indiana
Posts: 7,858
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_117 View Post
So on this theory, when you install this set up there is a slight power loss in low end torque due to no back little back pressure but horsepower gain. I do notice that ever since I installed these it doesn't go as hard as my old flowmaster but in the higher rpms it pulls harder.

So my question is, should I switch to bassani catback exhaust for performance gain?

I've never heard of power loss or torque loss with cat back systems. I've heard of a slight loss of torque on the low RPM end when you swap in an off road H or X pipe (no cats), but I'm not sure I experienced that on my stang. Anyway, don't think this warrants a change in cat back system. I would only change it if you don't like the sound.


IG: @azurebluemach
__________________
Instagram: @ab_mach1
ab_mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 12:44 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular
 
joe_117's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 662
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
I've never heard of power loss or torque loss with cat back systems. I've heard of a slight loss of torque on the low RPM end when you swap in an off road H or X pipe (no cats), but I'm not sure I experienced that on my stang. Anyway, don't think this warrants a change in cat back system. I would only change it if you don't like the sound.


IG: @azurebluemach

I do, but I'm questioning if bassani is better than SLP. Still in the process (;


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
joe_117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 09:13 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 100
I have lm1's love them I had pypes on before didn't notice a bit of a loss at all

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
04sonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 04:33 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: SoCal
Region: California
Posts: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_117 View Post
I do, but I'm questioning if bassani is better than SLP. Still in the process (;


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

Here is the thing. Catback exhaust systems usually don't give you power or make you lose power. You'd be lucky if you gained 5rwhp from a catback swap. They are meant for sounds really more than anything.
03redzo6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 05:20 PM   #30
Lorraine's driver

Regular
 
ab_mach1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Indianapolis
Region: Indiana
Posts: 7,858
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03redzo6 View Post
Here is the thing. Catback exhaust systems usually don't give you power or make you lose power. You'd be lucky if you gained 5rwhp from a catback swap. They are meant for sounds really more than anything.

I think you would actually say they free up some power. They are less restrictive. I can't imagine that being more than 5-7HP. Removing the cats though, that's a lot of restriction. I would free up even more power. But, that power might be in different areas of the power band. Most likely at higher RPMs I would imagine.


2004 Azure Blue Mach 1
IG: @azurebluemach
__________________
Instagram: @ab_mach1
ab_mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 05:47 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: SoCal
Region: California
Posts: 65
If the stock exhaust was really restrictive, I can see it freeing up power. But Ive always seen a catback as just a sound maker if that makes since.
03redzo6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 09:57 PM   #32
Lorraine's driver

Regular
 
ab_mach1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Indianapolis
Region: Indiana
Posts: 7,858
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03redzo6 View Post
If the stock exhaust was really restrictive, I can see it freeing up power. But Ive always seen a catback as just a sound maker if that makes since.

Yes, but to be louder, it has to be less restrictive. Less restrictive means breathe easier means freed power.


IG: @azurebluemach
__________________
Instagram: @ab_mach1
ab_mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 11:07 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular
 
joe_117's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 662
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
Yes, but to be louder, it has to be less restrictive. Less restrictive means breathe easier means freed power.


IG: @azurebluemach

What's your set up


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
joe_117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 07:47 AM   #34
Lorraine's driver

Regular
 
ab_mach1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Indianapolis
Region: Indiana
Posts: 7,858
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_117 View Post
What's your set up


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

I have Borla s-type with an off road H midpipe. Here's a vid...

http://youtu.be/p91NCna-lek


IG: @azurebluemach
__________________
Instagram: @ab_mach1
ab_mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 07:52 AM   #35
Registered Member
Regular
 
joe_117's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 662
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
I have Borla s-type with an off road H midpipe. Here's a vid...

http://youtu.be/p91NCna-lek


IG: @azurebluemach

I like h mid pipes but I also like x pipes lol...


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
joe_117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Magnaflow vs Borla vs SLP Loudmouth vs Flowmasters vs Pypes Whip General Mustang Discussion 43 07-27-2011 11:12 AM
2012 GT Roush exhaust VS SLP Loudmouth ercolanom1 Other Special Edition 5 07-21-2011 12:31 AM
2007 mustang gt slp loudmouth help GTstang07 2005-2010 Mustang GT 0 07-04-2011 05:41 PM
SLP loudmouth questions GTstang07 2005-2010 Mustang GT 7 06-04-2011 01:45 PM
SLP Loudmouth Exhaust Mikemedic66 General Mustang Discussion 18 09-01-2009 08:21 AM

» Like Us On Facebook



03:27 AM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.