SLP loudmouth power loss - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-05-2015, 10:20 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

SLP loudmouth power loss

So on this theory, when you install this set up there is a slight power loss in low end torque due to no back little back pressure but horsepower gain. I do notice that ever since I installed these it doesn't go as hard as my old flowmaster but in the higher rpms it pulls harder.

So my question is, should I switch to bassani catback exhaust for performance gain?

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
joe_117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2015, 10:24 PM   #2
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
First off back pressure is bs. What is your current setup? I doubt different mufflers made a noticeable difference might be a placebo

Sent from my VS985 4G using Mustang Evolution mobile app
natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 11:10 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by natestang07 View Post
First off back pressure is bs. What is your current setup? I doubt different mufflers made a noticeable difference might be a placebo

SLP loudmouth 1 resonators. Rest is stock. And man it's something. Like when I punch it it doesn't set me back like my flowmasters did. I felt like I went faster taking off with the flowmaster. With this current set up I don't feel that way anymore. But in the high end rpms it's better than my flowmasters. It goes quicker

---------- Post added at 05:10 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:10 AM ----------

Quote:

Placebo?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2015, 11:18 PM   #4
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_117 View Post
SLP loudmouth 1 resonators. Rest is stock. And man it's something. Like when I punch it it doesn't set me back like my flowmasters did. I felt like I went faster taking off with the flowmaster. With this current set up I don't feel that way anymore. But in the high end rpms it's better than my flowmasters. It goes quicker

---------- Post added at 05:10 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:10 AM ----------

Placebo?

In other words you are imagining it. Maybe something else is going on somewhere because a resonator should not change that noticeably

Old 02-05-2015, 11:23 PM   #5
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
Myth, placebo, imaginary, not real........... Got any more synonyms?

Bullitts are better than Bullets

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 11:28 PM   #6
Registered Member

Regular

Mantei Teio's girlfriend

Old 02-05-2015, 11:34 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post

Man I don't know. It may be just me, but it doesn't push me back anymore like my flowmasters did. It's weird, but I'm probably changing my SLPs to bassani cat back, with kooks headers and off road x pipe.

---------- Post added at 05:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:34 AM ----------

Quote:
In other words you are imagining it. Maybe something else is going on somewhere because a resonator should not change that noticeably

Lol I like how they sound I just don't like what it's done.

Old 02-05-2015, 11:36 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

It COULD be tires. There bald now well the back left tire is, I have bad wheel spin. But when it had tread they sorta in a way felt as if I lost performance. I DID notice that when I go it goes fast in the high end

Old 02-05-2015, 11:49 PM   #9
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Kentucky
You might consider a cherry bomb vortex muffler. I had a flowmaster 40 series on my truck with 3in pipe, and converted to a cherry bomb vortex and 2 1/2 in piping. I could tell an improvement in the trucks performance and it improved my gas mileage up 3miles per gal. average. Tone/loudness is about the same.
Just my .02 on the situation.

Dear IRS, please cancel my subscription...
Recon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 12:04 AM   #10
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
It COULD be tires. There bald now well the back left tire is, I have bad wheel spin. But when it had tread they sorta in a way felt as if I lost performance. I DID notice that when I go it goes fast in the high end

In terms of getting off the line with or without spinning there are a ton of factors that come into play besides the tires being bald or not.

1. Driver skill
2. The Road condition
3. Tire tread
4. Tire compound
5. Temperature outside
6. Tire pressure
7. Condition of clutches in differential

If your car has stock type tires and stock suspension i have no doubt that you can easily spin the tires, especially if they have little tread left. With more competition style tires there is something called heat cycling out, which can happen before the tread is all the way gone. Thats when they get to their optimum temperature then back down to cold a certain amount of time. After a number of times doing this they will lose their grip and turn harder, even if there is tread left.

HID end all thread
Old 02-06-2015, 12:10 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
In terms of getting off the line with or without spinning there are a ton of factors that come into play besides the tires being bald or not.

1. Driver skill

2. The Road condition

3. Tire tread

4. Tire compound

5. Temperature outside

6. Tire pressure

7. Condition of clutches in differential

If your car has stock type tires and stock suspension i have no doubt that you can easily spin the tires, especially if they have little tread left. With more competition style tires there is something called heat cycling out, which can happen before the tread is all the way gone. Thats when they get to their optimum temperature then back down to cold a certain amount of time. After a number of times doing this they will lose their grip and turn harder, even if there is tread left.

So I should do suspension before doing anything?

Old 02-06-2015, 12:14 AM   #12
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
So I should do suspension before doing anything?

Correct

What use is more power if you can't even get your stock power level to the ground effectively?

HID end all thread
Old 02-06-2015, 12:52 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Correct

What use is more power if you can't even get your stock power level to the ground effectively?

Very true, what do you recommend?...

Old 02-06-2015, 12:58 AM   #14
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Subframe connectors
Rear lower control arms
Panhard Bar
Torque Arm
Springs/shocks/struts

HID end all thread
Old 02-06-2015, 01:06 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Subframe connectors
Rear lower control arms
Panhard Bar
Torque Arm
Springs/shocks/struts

Lordy, we'll looks like exhaust money is gone lol.

Old 02-06-2015, 04:47 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

I'm confused cause I thought you said your tires were bald. If your tires are bald and your just spinning, how could you tell it got slower if your not putting the power down and just spinning.
03redzo6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 07:29 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03redzo6 View Post
I'm confused cause I thought you said your tires were bald. If your tires are bald and your just spinning, how could you tell it got slower if your not putting the power down and just spinning.

Because when I had tread I still felt the same way. I know bald tires don't help but when they were good it still felt like it.

Old 02-06-2015, 07:59 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I had similar issue awhile back. Had no mufflers and wow, felt like I was dragging something. Put mufflers on and it's back to normal. Get up and go.

Sent from my LGLS990 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
XSlashDashX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 08:23 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by XSlashDashX View Post
I had similar issue awhile back. Had no mufflers and wow, felt like I was dragging something. Put mufflers on and it's back to normal. Get up and go.

So you know what I'm talking about from experience. Resonators are basically straight pipes honestly. But I'm getting bassani catback. I just don't like changing from one to the next and it being something that I feel that I didn't gain on anything.

What exhaust do you have?

Old 02-06-2015, 11:17 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
Taking your mufflers off doesnt lose horsepower. It just makes you think your car is working harder to go the same speed. You're used to hearing 80db when your car is making 260 horsepower at 5800 rpm, but now your engine makes 80 db when its at 3000 rpms when its only making like 190 horse, so you get the feeling that your car is slower. In reality, 90% of cars actually gain horspower AND torque when the mufflers come off. More often than not, they gain more torque than they do horsepower.

But when you put the mufflers back on you get the illusion that your engine is more torquey because it sounds like its barely working hard to propel you. It is an illusion. My brother and I used to have the same exact car in high school.

Both were toyota avalons. One day, my exhaust fell off so all I had was the manifolds and the down pipe on the car. We drag raced like we had a few times before, and the results were the exact same. Both cars were exactly neck and neck regardless of me having muffler on or not.

Horsepower is not lost. Its actually gained in small amounts by removing mufflers.
Thats just according to all the dynos I have looked at. From BMWs to Challengers. Same story every time.
Panther140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 11:39 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
I had the same thing happen. Installed electric cutouts lost low end when they were open. Pick up low end power again. People that say back pressure is bs. Don't know what they are talking about. Track times were about the same, but 60 ft times were down that told me I lost low end power but pick up up at high rpm. That's all great. But I drive on the street 99.9% of the time so top end up is meaningless for daily driver.
thelastsumurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 12:38 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Don't care for horsepower. I know it wasn't an illusion, lol. I was running just catted x pipe with no mufflers. Now I have upr off road x pipe with flowmasters 40s. Thinking about switching to stingers though.

XSlashDashX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 01:58 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther140 View Post
Taking your mufflers off doesnt lose horsepower. It just makes you think your car is working harder to go the same speed. You're used to hearing 80db when your car is making 260 horsepower at 5800 rpm, but now your engine makes 80 db when its at 3000 rpms when its only making like 190 horse, so you get the feeling that your car is slower. In reality, 90% of cars actually gain horspower AND torque when the mufflers come off. More often than not, they gain more torque than they do horsepower.

But when you put the mufflers back on you get the illusion that your engine is more torquey because it sounds like its barely working hard to propel you. It is an illusion. My brother and I used to have the same exact car in high school.

Both were toyota avalons. One day, my exhaust fell off so all I had was the manifolds and the down pipe on the car. We drag raced like we had a few times before, and the results were the exact same. Both cars were exactly neck and neck regardless of me having muffler on or not.

Horsepower is not lost. Its actually gained in small amounts by removing mufflers.
Thats just according to all the dynos I have looked at. From BMWs to Challengers. Same story every time.

Use to with the flowmaster it would pull me back and stuff, seemed like my car pulled harder and was quicker at launch. With my SLPs on it doesn't feel that way but in high rpms I go quicker

Old 02-06-2015, 11:19 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

I think you just got use to the power, but if you feel that it impacted the power so much, why don't you just swap the exhaust back and see if you notice anything.
Old 02-06-2015, 11:21 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Or maybe there could be something wrong with the car also. Check to see if there are any codes like others said.
Old 02-06-2015, 11:39 PM   #26
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
So on this theory, when you install this set up there is a slight power loss in low end torque due to no back little back pressure but horsepower gain. I do notice that ever since I installed these it doesn't go as hard as my old flowmaster but in the higher rpms it pulls harder.

So my question is, should I switch to bassani catback exhaust for performance gain?

I've never heard of power loss or torque loss with cat back systems. I've heard of a slight loss of torque on the low RPM end when you swap in an off road H or X pipe (no cats), but I'm not sure I experienced that on my stang. Anyway, don't think this warrants a change in cat back system. I would only change it if you don't like the sound.

IG: @azurebluemach
Old 02-07-2015, 12:44 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
I've never heard of power loss or torque loss with cat back systems. I've heard of a slight loss of torque on the low RPM end when you swap in an off road H or X pipe (no cats), but I'm not sure I experienced that on my stang. Anyway, don't think this warrants a change in cat back system. I would only change it if you don't like the sound.

I do, but I'm questioning if bassani is better than SLP. Still in the process (;

Old 02-07-2015, 09:13 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

I have lm1's love them I had pypes on before didn't notice a bit of a loss at all

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
04sonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 04:33 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I do, but I'm questioning if bassani is better than SLP. Still in the process (;

Here is the thing. Catback exhaust systems usually don't give you power or make you lose power. You'd be lucky if you gained 5rwhp from a catback swap. They are meant for sounds really more than anything.
Old 02-08-2015, 05:20 PM   #30
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:
Here is the thing. Catback exhaust systems usually don't give you power or make you lose power. You'd be lucky if you gained 5rwhp from a catback swap. They are meant for sounds really more than anything.

I think you would actually say they free up some power. They are less restrictive. I can't imagine that being more than 5-7HP. Removing the cats though, that's a lot of restriction. I would free up even more power. But, that power might be in different areas of the power band. Most likely at higher RPMs I would imagine.

2004 Azure Blue Mach 1
Old 02-08-2015, 05:47 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

If the stock exhaust was really restrictive, I can see it freeing up power. But Ive always seen a catback as just a sound maker if that makes since.
Old 02-08-2015, 09:57 PM   #32
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:
If the stock exhaust was really restrictive, I can see it freeing up power. But Ive always seen a catback as just a sound maker if that makes since.

Yes, but to be louder, it has to be less restrictive. Less restrictive means breathe easier means freed power.

Old 02-08-2015, 11:07 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yes, but to be louder, it has to be less restrictive. Less restrictive means breathe easier means freed power.

What's your set up

Old 02-09-2015, 07:47 AM   #34
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:
What's your set up

I have Borla s-type with an off road H midpipe. Here's a vid...

http://youtu.be/p91NCna-lek

Old 02-09-2015, 07:52 AM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I have Borla s-type with an off road H midpipe. Here's a vid...

http://youtu.be/p91NCna-lek

I like h mid pipes but I also like x pipes lol...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT