Vortech Installed. Bad tuner? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-06-2015, 11:12 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Vortech Installed. Bad tuner?

I guess I'm looking for input from other vortech guys on here. I installed a V1, non intercooled, 8lb pulley. 42# inj, 90mm MAF, etc, etc. I have all the supporting mods I need and dyno tuned by reputable shop. I've put about 500-1000 miles on it but have a few concerns:
1) It MUST warm up before driving. If i try to start it and drive, it will stutter, spit, and bog until my coolant temp reaches about 100. It idles great in the meantime.
2) After releasing the throttle A/F drops down to 10-11 for about 3-5 seconds which feels like it's flooded when I go to accelerate again. Meaning that the car feels a little bogged down afterwards for a few seconds till it clears out.
3) After a partial boost acceleration, I seem to have a small amount of detonation/backfiring on decel.

The car drives amazing at WOT and idles perfect. It seems to be that all the in-between stuff messes with fuel delivery sometimes, but not always. Any experience with these problems? Think my tuner just didn't do a great job? Maybe partial boost can't be tuned for? Any input is appreciated, thanks
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2015, 03:31 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brentap19506 View Post
I guess I'm looking for input from other vortech guys on here. I installed a V1, non intercooled, 8lb pulley. 42# inj, 90mm MAF, etc, etc. I have all the supporting mods I need and dyno tuned by reputable shop. I've put about 500-1000 miles on it but have a few concerns:

1) It MUST warm up before driving. If i try to start it and drive, it will stutter, spit, and bog until my coolant temp reaches about 100. It idles great in the meantime.

2) After releasing the throttle A/F drops down to 10-11 for about 3-5 seconds which feels like it's flooded when I go to accelerate again. Meaning that the car feels a little bogged down afterwards for a few seconds till it clears out.

3) After a partial boost acceleration, I seem to have a small amount of detonation/backfiring on decel.

The car drives amazing at WOT and idles perfect. It seems to be that all the in-between stuff messes with fuel delivery sometimes, but not always. Any experience with these problems? Think my tuner just didn't do a great job? Maybe partial boost can't be tuned for? Any input is appreciated, thanks

Sounds like maybe your O2 sensors are shot or getting there atleast.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

Oxford White Roush Stage 1 SN# 6925--SOLD but never forgotten!
Kona Blue GT premium - Slammed on BC's and BMR's full rear suspension
The_Chech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 04:06 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
That'd be an easy fix. But I don't have any codes being thrown for them, at least not yet. The car has only been acting up after getting tuned. I was just wanting to know if this could be due to a bad tune or that it's really hard to get an N/A car right after boosting it. I could look into replacing the O2 sensors anyway though, thanks for the suggestion. It's approaching 100k miles
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2015, 05:51 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Yeah I'd start with that. My car would sputter a lot when starting up until things got warm. When I dot my tune, my tuner told me it's because the O2 sensors were getting old and had to warm up so the sputter would go away. I did and the problem went away completely.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

Oxford White Roush Stage 1 SN# 6925--SOLD but never forgotten!
Kona Blue GT premium - Slammed on BC's and BMR's full rear suspension
The_Chech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 06:03 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Same here, I had a lazy o2 sensor which threw no codes. Lots of sputtering and the like. Replaced, no more problems

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
FanOfSkynyrd is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT