Shift kit - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-06-2015, 04:07 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Shift kit

I just bought a shift kit for my 02 auto. I have owned this car for the last 8 years. It was my daily for 6 and put a lot of miles driving to and from work. I love this car to death. The only mods i have done to the car is a mach 1 grille delete and chin spoiler, lowered it, put in a cai, and has flowmasters.

Would it be wise to put on a shift kit? I kind of want to see if i feel a difference in my car. I'm looking to fully restore this car as it was my first car i have ever owned. My car currently has 176k miles. Still runs good. Have babied this car always serviced and maintained it on time.

All positive feedback would be greatly appreciated it. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
BeastyStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2015, 11:51 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Do a YouTube search for "J-mod".
I don't own an automatic but I understand that it is a relatively easy DIY project and is a more effective mod than a standard shift kit, providing both firmer shifts and increased transmission life.
As far as doing the J-mod on a 176k mile transmission... I don't know. That seems like a lot of miles for an automatic transmission. Sometimes it's best to just leave them alone once they have that many miles on them, unless you don't mind having it rebuilt in the near future.
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 09:00 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by straybullitt View Post
Do a YouTube search for "J-mod".

I don't own an automatic but I understand that it is a relatively easy DIY project and is a more effective mod than a standard shift kit, providing both firmer shifts and increased transmission life.

As far as doing the J-mod on a 176k mile transmission... I don't know. That seems like a lot of miles for an automatic transmission. Sometimes it's best to just leave them alone once they have that many miles on them, unless you don't mind having it rebuilt in the near future.

I was actually looking into getting a rebuild. I want to restore it. Once i get the transmission rebuild, would it effect the motor in anyway having that many miles as well? I only have funds to have one or the other rebuilt. Thanks again.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
BeastyStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2015, 12:47 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

No. Aside from you maybe pounding on it a little harder, trying to get a second gear scratch, it won't have any effect on the engine at all.

Enjoy!
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT