American Thunder Catback - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-06-2015, 05:07 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
American Thunder Catback

I'm looking to upgrade my exhaust and I love the flowmaster sound. Does anyone have the American Thunder Catback? How does it compare to flowmaster 44 mufflers? How does it compare to stock?

40th Anniversary GT
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2015, 09:46 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

American thunder isn't much of a difference from stock go with 44's

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
04sonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 10:24 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
American Thunder Catback

Isn't American thunder the 40series ?which is a bit louder than the 44s ? Plus the piping is a bit bigger so that should be a bit louder too

I have the 44s with a magnaflow catted x. It sounds great but I don't find all that louder from stock. But everyone just says I'm just paranoid and that it is a lot louder than stock.

It depends on that your looking for and how loud or if you want more of a nice tone to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
alecas447 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2015, 10:32 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Well anything other than stock will probably be louder than "stock". The level of increased loudness depends on the application.

The American Thunder System has the super 40's, which are slightly less aggressive than the 44's.

Simple answer, that system will be louder and throatier than stock, but not as loud as a system with regular 40's or super 44's.

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

03 Sonic Blue 3.8 / 17 Magnetic Fusion Sport 2.7 EB
sonicpony03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 10:47 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

I talked to a guy at AM and he said they'd be louder than the mufflers. and he said they were louder than the 44's
Old 02-07-2015, 10:52 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquatchMan View Post
I talked to a guy at AM and he said they'd be louder than the mufflers. and he said they were louder than the 44's

Guys at am always say something different. You have to talk to someone whose actually had them on.

I was told by a few guys at am that the super 44s were the loudest mufflers after the super 10s...

Let's just say yea not so happy. I won't be purchasing from them again.

Old 02-07-2015, 11:09 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

The 44's are pretty loud, and they sound amazing. I had them on my '00 GT
Old 02-07-2015, 11:18 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Yah there are times when I wonder if the AM reps are just telling you what you want to hear so you'll buy it lol.

I'm basing my statement off Flowmaster's website and cars I've heard in person.
In my experience 40's have been the loudest with 44's right after them. I've heard super 10's on a 5.0 F150 with stock cats and I swear it's as loud as my 4V with no cats and Flow 40's.

If you're really concerned that one may not be louder than the other just throw on an off road midpipe. That'll solve any issues of it being too quiet.

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

Old 02-07-2015, 11:22 PM   #9
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Kentucky
American Thunder Catback

Alright, after quickly glancing over the post it seems that the mufflers are between a flowmasters 40s series and super 44s. I haven't had them on a mustang but I've had both on my 65 chevy.
Take it for what it's worth...
40 series- louder of the two had a very nice throaty sound. More a raw sound. Drones at lower rpms. Sounds better at an idle of the two.
Super 44s- it has a very good tone. It has the unique sound that only they make. The drone isn't as bad as the 40s, no cats (obviously), or mid pipe, on either set up. Personally, I like it over the 40s.
I, personally installed the entire exhaust, bent the pipes, welded the mufflers, and put the tips on. No clamps.

Adventure till you drop
Recon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 11:27 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

American Thunder Catback

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicpony03 View Post
Yah there are times when I wonder if the AM reps are just telling you what you want to hear so you'll buy it lol.

I'm basing my statement off Flowmaster's website and cars I've heard in person.
In my experience 40's have been the loudest with 44's right after them. I've super 10's on a 5.0 F150 with stock cats and I swear it's as loud as my 4V with no cats and Flow 40's.

If you're really concerned that one may not be louder than the other just throw on an off road midpipe. That'll solve any issues of it being too quiet.

Yeah the have the tendency to give out bad information. It's not the first time they misinform about there products which is sad everything on my car is from am. I will be looking at other sites from now on.

Old 02-07-2015, 11:35 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by alecas447 View Post
Yeah the have the tendency to give out bad information. It's not the first time they misinform about there products which is sad everything on my car is from am. I will be looking at other sites from now on.

I don't know if it's because they've grown so much in the last few years or what, still no reason to lack good support/info.

I remember when they first started up as "Mustang Tuning" and the early days as American Muscle, it seemed like you could find out more information from those guys than calling the actual manufacturer that made the product, lol.

I have done business with Stangmods and Latemodel Restoration. Both have done fine by me. Have not chatted with CS at Stangmods but I have with LMR and they were very helpful/knowledgeable about the products.

Old 02-07-2015, 11:56 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicpony03 View Post
I don't know if it's because they've grown so much in the last few years or what, still reason to lack good support/info.

I remember when they first started up as "Mustang Tuning" and the early days as American Muscle, it seemed like you could find out more information from those guys than calling the actual manufacturer that made the product, lol.

I have done business with Stangmods and Latemodel Restoration. Both have done fine by me. Have not chatted with CS at Stangmods but I have with LMR and they were very helpful/knowledgeable about the products.

Yea from what I've seen I think LMR are a pretty good contender.

AM lied to me about 04 mustang O2 sensors and the mufflers. When I called about disappointment they could care less. All they told me was apologies just buy the 40 series. I told him yea I would have done that the first time if I wasn't misinformed by three of the reps. Am's customer service is just not the same anymore.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT