New mod - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-07-2015, 09:56 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

New mod

I'm looking to do something suspension wise but not sure what to do. When I bought my Stang it was already lowered 2" an I'm not sure what they did suspension wise so I'm gonna re-do it (because they didn't seem like people that would do it the right way, they didn't even add caster camber plates). So what should I do to increase performance and the ride (it rides like a** currently). Suggestions??

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
dayves is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2015, 11:49 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Well I would determine what exactly is done to the car. I would guess if it's lowered 2" and there's no other supporting suspension mods then it's probably a cut spring mod.

If that's the case I would pull them and buy some good progressive springs with the proper load rating with the desired drop height. It's amazing what a good set of springs, shocks/struts, upper/lower control arms, strut brace and subframe connectors will do to the performance of your car, both in handling and in getting power to the ground.

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

03 Sonic Blue 3.8 / 17 Magnetic Fusion Sport 2.7 EB
sonicpony03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 12:03 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
In my experience lowering springs just ride bad. I have rough roads, can't avoid them. I lowered mine with eibach springs. Went back to factory spring about a year later and won't go back.

Ive rode in a couple lowered trucks and a lowered import(covered face) and they all rode horrible. I know several people who daily lowered cars and they don't have a problem with it it. I hated it.

Lowered stangs look sick as **** though. Too bad mines not a show car.
Billgluckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2015, 12:33 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billgluckman View Post
In my experience lowering springs just ride bad. I have rough roads, can't avoid them. I lowered mine with eibach springs. Went back to factory spring about a year later and won't go back.

Ive rode in a couple lowered trucks and a lowered import(covered face) and they all rode horrible. I know several people who daily lowered cars and they don't have a problem with it it. I hated it.

Lowered stangs look sick as **** though. Too bad mines not a show car.
I don't blame you one bit if you have to daily the car. If I daily drove either of my cars they would probably be at stock height or slightly lowered with similar load rate springs using the factory shocks/struts.

My 03 is lowered ~2" in the front with a chin spoiler and there are driveways/store entrances I cannot enter because I will scrape the hell out of it. The H&R Super Sports are pretty stiff and without isolators the ride is jarring, especially on uneven, rough roads.

It can get annoying at times but it's easily forgettable because I don't have to deal with it every day.

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

Old 02-08-2015, 12:46 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicpony03 View Post
I don't blame you one bit if you have to daily the car. If I daily drove either of my cars they would probably be at stock height or slightly lowered with similar load rate springs using the factory shocks/struts.

My 03 is lowered ~2" in the front with a chin spoiler and there are driveways/store entrances I cannot enter because I will scrape the hell out of it. The H&R Super Sports are pretty stiff and without isolators the ride is jarring, especially on uneven, rough roads.

It can get annoying at times but it's easily forgettable because I don't have to deal with it every day.
Honestly my car isn't my dd, but I like to drive it. I like to go wherever I want to go. When my car was lowered I would have to go about 20 minutes out of my way to get to work to avoid certain spots.

Like I said I love the look of a lowered car but I like to drive mine whenever and wherever I want.
Old 02-08-2015, 09:06 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Okay, so it seems like the ride isn't ever going to be all that comfortable haha. What would you guys advise doing suspension wise?? New A arms, shocks and struts?? Anything else??

Old 02-08-2015, 12:54 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

I wouldn't necessarily say that you can't have a comfortable ride once you lower your car.
My lowered 03 does ride nice on a smooth road, but how often do you drive somewhere and only drive on perfectly smooth roads everywhere you go...

Some aftermarket progressive springs are softer than others. Ford racing B, C, F, etc springs tend to be softer than say Eibach Sportlines or H&R SuperSports/Race springs. It all depends on what you want. Get into air ride and I guarantee you'll have a comfortable ride, but that setup is more costly than simple lowering springs.

Also you can install new polyurethane isos and new shocks/struts to help keep that lowered ride comfortable.

Old 02-08-2015, 07:46 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicpony03 View Post
My lowered 03 does ride nice on a smooth road, but how often do you drive somewhere and only drive on perfectly smooth roads everywhere you go...
Exactly. Consider this. Lowered rides fine on good roads but if you have to travel down some rough ones its not worth it IMO.
Old 02-09-2015, 01:51 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
I have H&R supersports with a good set of shocks and struts. My car is stiff but still comfortable to drive if that makes sense lol. I have trouble with some driveways and store entry ways but It's rare. If I daily drove it I think it would be tolerable.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

---------- Post added at 02:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:50 PM ----------

I Also replaced the isos with poly ones and added cc plates to get the alignment in spec.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Follow on Instagram @steviesstangs
15% off waxgods.com use code: manic15
10% off toplabel.com use code: Manic10
Steve96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 03:04 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Thank you guys! I'm gonna look into those now

Old 02-09-2015, 09:28 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

The H&R Super Sports are excellent springs. I'm all for domestic products, but those Germans make some damn good springs lol. I've had them on for almost 5 years now and they've been great.

If you install them and keep your stock isolators or get new ones the ride height will be about what is advertised, 1.75" in the front and 1.6" in the rear. I would recommend caster camber plates, or at least camber bolts to get your front end geometry back in spec.

Following this will give you a lowered, yet street able car, even with a chin spoiler.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT