Watch this vid - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-11-2015, 03:41 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Watch this vid

I've posted a couple times before about how my car seems to be slower some days than others. Here's me doin 2nd-3rd gear and she felt slow as heck. Def no bottom end and not much top. What do yall think? Cars stock but 3.55s flows and orx
Attached Files
Calebnc302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2015, 01:33 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Seem slow to yall?
Old 02-11-2015, 01:49 PM   #3
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
It does seem to not wind up to quick.

If my 3,7 V6 accelerated that slow I would wonder what was wrong with it.

Do you know what gear ratio you have?
Do you have a tune?

Try running some Techron through your engine to clean the injectors.
Let us know if you find anything.
Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2015, 04:18 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Speed is relatve.
If this were the late sixties, and you were racing a brand new big block powered "muscle car", you would be neck-and-neck. And you would be doing it with an engine that is around 150 cubic inches smaller!
Nowadays, the modern 4 and 6 cylinders put out more horsepower than the 10+ year old New Edges. Your car is going to feel, relatively, slow compared to a late model car. That's the way that it has always been. From when the first Model T rolled off the assembly line in 1908 until today, the cars keep getting better and more powerful with each successive year. The mid seventies and the eighties being the exception that proves the rule, due to new emissions requirements imposed upon the automakers during those years.

Your car actually sounded like it was running pretty good in that video. I suppose that the only true way to tell if it is making acceptable power is to put it on a dyno or make a few timed quarter mile passes and see where it is at.
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 06:53 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post
If my 3,7 V6 accelerated that slow I would wonder what was wrong with it.

Do you know what gear ratio you have?
Do you have a tune?

Try running some Techron through your engine to clean the injectors.
Let us know if you find anything.
Ronnie
3.55s Stock other than or x and flows. Sometimes it runs a lot stronger just not often, and random. Maybe something with pcm? I'm getting bama tuner soon to see if that'll help. I have no codes with scanner
Old 02-11-2015, 06:58 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by straybullitt View Post
Speed is relatve.
If this were the late sixties, and you were racing a brand new big block powered "muscle car", you would be neck-and-neck. And you would be doing it with an engine that is around 150 cubic inches smaller!
Nowadays, the modern 4 and 6 cylinders put out more horsepower than the 10+ year old New Edges. Your car is going to feel, relatively, slow compared to a late model car. That's the way that it has always been. From when the first Model T rolled off the assembly line in 1908 until today, the cars keep getting better and more powerful with each successive year. The mid seventies and the eighties being the exception that proves the rule, due to new emissions requirements imposed upon the automakers during those years.

Your car actually sounded like it was running pretty good in that video. I suppose that the only true way to tell if it is making acceptable power is to put it on a dyno or make a few timed quarter mile passes and see where it is at.
True. It's just that at random times it pulls a lot harder especially from lower Rpms. But there's no codes. this car pisses me off
Old 02-11-2015, 07:14 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

These sort of problems are always frustrating.

When you replaced your intake manifold, what brand did you use?
Old 02-11-2015, 07:45 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
These sort of problems are always frustrating.

When you replaced your intake manifold, what brand did you use?
My dad got me one from the dealership he works at. So I guess ford or motor craft not 100%
Old 02-11-2015, 07:55 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Oh. Ok. I was just wondering because some people have noticed a loss of performance after installing a Dorman. That still wouldn't have explained the randomness that you described.
Old 02-11-2015, 08:18 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Oh. Ok. I was just wondering because some people have noticed a loss of performance after installing a Dorman. That still wouldn't have explained the randomness that you described.
Guess I'll just see if a tune makes a difference. Is there any parts that might be worth trying to replace? I know everything sets a code on these cars that's why I'm confused. I've tried everything from fuel filter (tune up) to clean maf
Old 02-11-2015, 09:36 PM   #11
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
Try the "TECHRON"

What your describing could be just slightly clogged injectors. The Techron which you can get at any parts store or WALMART will get them as clean as new after you run a tank or two of gas through the engine. It is good because it does not mess anything up like some of the injector cleaners out there.
I would do this before doing a tuner.
Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 09:38 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calebnc302 View Post
Guess I'll just see if a tune makes a difference. Is there any parts that might be worth trying to replace? I know everything sets a code on these cars that's why I'm confused. I've tried everything from fuel filter (tune up) to clean maf
That's what's frustrating, you seem to have tried everything.
I think we've already spoken about the 02's.
If I was just going to start throwing parts at it, I think I would try changing the temperature sensors since this seems to be not happening much until the engine warms up.
The computer must be getting some false information, intermittently, that is causing this "Gremlin".
Eventually, whatever it is will fail completely and then you'll know for sure. Lol
Old 02-11-2015, 10:38 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post
What your describing could be just slightly clogged injectors. The Techron which you can get at any parts store or WALMART will get them as clean as new after you run a tank or two of gas through the engine. It is good because it does not mess anything up like some of the injector cleaners out there.
I would do this before doing a tuner.
Ronnie
Ok I will definitely pick some up this week. Thanks for the help
Old 02-11-2015, 10:44 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
That's what's frustrating, you seem to have tried everything.
I think we've already spoken about the 02's.
If I was just going to start throwing parts at it, I think I would try changing the temperature sensors since this seems to be not happening much until the engine warms up.
The computer must be getting some false information, intermittently, that is causing this "Gremlin".
Eventually, whatever it is will fail completely and then you'll know for sure. Lol
True lol. Now I know there's a coolant temp sensor in the aluminum part of the lower intake. Are there any more temp related sensors? Thanks for all the help man
Old 02-11-2015, 11:21 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calebnc302 View Post
True lol. Now I know there's a coolant temp sensor in the aluminum part of the lower intake. Are there any more temp related sensors? Thanks for all the help man
Yes. There is the Engine Coolant Temperature sensor and the Intake Air Temperature sensor. The IAT sensor is located on the air intake in between the MAF and the Throttle Body. Both of them send information to the PCM so that it can properly adjust the air/fuel mixture.

Again, I have no idea if either of these sensors could be the cause of the intermittent sluggishness but if I had eliminated all other possible causes, I would be looking at things like that. I'd make sure that the 02 sensors were reasonably fresh before changing those temp sensors though.
Old 02-12-2015, 12:55 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yes. There is the Engine Coolant Temperature sensor and the Intake Air Temperature sensor. The IAT sensor is located on the air intake in between the MAF and the Throttle Body. Both of them send information to the PCM so that it can properly adjust the air/fuel mixture.

Again, I have no idea if either of these sensors could be the cause of the intermittent sluggishness but if I had eliminated all other possible causes, I would be looking at things like that. I'd make sure that the 02 sensors were reasonably fresh before changing those temp sensors though.
Alright thanks. Might try a couple parts and see how it goes in the near future. I'll let yall know how it turns out

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT