Stock v8 upgrade to higher output v8 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-18-2015, 07:10 PM   #1

Region: Texas
Stock v8 upgrade to higher output v8

Hey guys.

I'm new to mustangs. I've always had older bucks and pontiacs. First major build is the planned v8 for my 03 Gt I just bought that didn't have an engine. I want to build a motor similar to what the Cobras had. My first question is what is the casting number for the cobra block or is it a normal 289 modular block or can I use a older 302 block?

Thanks for the input, advice, and tech help to come.
Rbroherd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2015, 09:40 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
The modular block is a 289 4.6l.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
irishn8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 09:40 PM   #3
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Kentucky
It's a 281...

Adventure till you drop
Recon is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2015, 09:41 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

The GT has SOHC, the cobra would have DOHC

Old 02-18-2015, 09:49 PM   #5
Registered Member

Regular

96,97,98,99,01,02 Cobras have an aluminum block, 03-04 Cobras have an iron block. 00s have a 5.4 iron block. Your engine is very power capable. What power output are you looking to get out of your car?

Adventure till you drop
Old 02-18-2015, 10:03 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

He doesnt have an engine yet
Old 02-18-2015, 10:10 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Try to find a good Teksid block.
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 12:09 AM   #8

If it's an older style block can I use the DOHC system and the supercharger like the Cobras? I was thinking of close 400 at the wheels maybe more.
Block I'm thinking of getting here in my city is a pre 85 302 bored .030.

What about getting a 4.6l from a crown Vic? Is the iron better over aluminum?
Old 02-19-2015, 12:43 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

U cant do dohc on a 302, a 4.6l will make more power anyway. You can convert a sohc 4.6 to dohc.

Old 02-19-2015, 10:36 AM   #10
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
What are your goals? What is your budget? What else is done to the rest of the car?
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 02:11 PM   #11

Nothing is done to the rest of the car yet. Want to build a motor that matches the cobra motor output being a DOHC but a little higher hp. The car is just a roller right now no engine or trans. Budget isn't really determined so no set limit just don't want to break the bank completely

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
Old 02-19-2015, 02:22 PM   #12
Registered Member

Regular

There's complete terminator cobra engines with trans on eBay for $10,000 with very low miles...

Adventure till you drop
Old 02-19-2015, 03:23 PM   #13

Yeah I would rather build the engine gain experience and learn about the engine as I build.
So can I use the 4.6l from the crown Vic's or maybe a 5.4l from a f150?

Sent from my
Old 02-19-2015, 03:29 PM   #14
Registered Member

Regular

If you want a DOHC find a 4.6L from a Lincoln MKVIII. Engines are very cheep and are very strong for building. 280hp stock, you can tear the engine apart and build it to your specs...
Guy in my area has a supercharged MKVIII making very impressive numbers.

Adventure till you drop
Old 02-19-2015, 03:56 PM   #15

Yeah I've been looking for mkviii's and found a few. Gonna see a few this weekend. What is a good stroker kit for the motor. Bore it out a .030. Up the displacement.

Sent from my
Old 02-19-2015, 03:59 PM   #16
Registered Member

Regular

I see a lot of people going with the 5.0 stroker kit...
Later on I'm putting it in my car...

Adventure till you drop
Old 02-19-2015, 04:25 PM   #17

What would that give us? 302?

Sent from my
Old 02-19-2015, 04:28 PM   #18
Registered Member

Regular

Yes, the formula to figure it out is 61 cu in to 1 liter. Although liters is not a very accurate means of displacement. A 7.0 is literally 6 different engines sizes...

Adventure till you drop
Old 02-19-2015, 07:14 PM   #19
Staff
Regular
Staff

Look for an 03-05 Aviator motor IMO. Also run actual numbers of how much you are going to put into this with the motor/swap/transmission/bolt ons/fuel/interior/cosmetics/suspension/wheels/tires etc...

I say this in every build thread, you are likely going to be in the $15k+ range factoring in the initial cost of the car which will just flat out buy you a real nice mint 99/01 Cobra or 03/04 Mach and leave you with change leftover or get you damn near into a 2011 Coyote.

Just saw a ridiculously clean 2001 Cobra with tasteful mods garage kept all its life with 40k miles sell for $12k in Pittsburgh a few months ago.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 02-19-2015, 07:21 PM   #20
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
Coyote swap.

Bullitts are better than Bullets

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 08:09 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
If you are looking or a motor similar to the 03/04 cobra I would look into an 01 cobra or 03/04 mach 1 4V. MPS Auto Salvage is selling complete engines for ~ $3000.

I'd prefer the manual mach 1 engine mainly because of the improved C heads identical to the 03/04 cobra as well as the same cams. The rods are slightly better than the 01 but still the weak element when compared to the forged version in the 03/04.

Slap an M112 or similar roots blower on at low boost with supporting mods and you have a solid 400hp car.

If you prefer to do a DOHC build then look into an Aviator/Mark VIII engine and throw some heads on along with a stroker kit like the Eagle 4V Competition.

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

03 Sonic Blue 3.8 / 17 Magnetic Fusion Sport 2.7 EB
sonicpony03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 08:10 PM   #22

Aviator motor? Coyote motor? Car was basically for free. I have a full machine shop at my disposal and all tools. So really it's just buying parts. Which I know a lot of people are against but I'm going to try to use used parts as long as they have been checked to ensure they are good. But I am not against buying parts.

Sent from my
Old 02-20-2015, 07:59 AM   #23
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicpony03 View Post
If you are looking or a motor similar to the 03/04 cobra I would look into an 01 cobra or 03/04 mach 1 4V. MPS Auto Salvage is selling complete engines for ~ $3000.

I'd prefer the manual mach 1 engine mainly because of the improved C heads identical to the 03/04 cobra as well as the same cams. The rods are slightly better than the 01 but still the weak element when compared to the forged version in the 03/04.

Slap an M112 or similar roots blower on at low boost with supporting mods and you have a solid 400hp car.

If you prefer to do a DOHC build then look into an Aviator/Mark VIII engine and throw some heads on along with a stroker kit like the Eagle 4V Competition.
The rods on any non-terminator/00R modular are all the older weaker powdered metal (Boss rods are powdered metal rods too but are good for 800+) and are going to be suspect much past the 400whp range no matter what they are in. C heads... the revised ones ppl seem to think they are made out of gold or something. MUCH more economical to get a set of 99/01 heads off a Continental or something for $200 and then get them rebuilt and a mild port if its even needed but it usually is not. If anything, a little work on the exhaust ports will get it up to 03-05 spec. And IF you are going for revised heads, the ones off an 05 Aviator are the final revision spec with the cooling fix (supposedly but I'd still run the kit) and the 8 thread plug holes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbroherd View Post
Aviator motor? Coyote motor? Car was basically for free. I have a full machine shop at my disposal and all tools. So really it's just buying parts. Which I know a lot of people are against but I'm going to try to use used parts as long as they have been checked to ensure they are good. But I am not against buying parts.

Sent from my
If you don't have a motor to start with, getting a good running "Cobra" motor is going to be the easiest way to to just drop into a DOHC and go.

The Aviator motor has the same heads and power output as the Cobra and the same block and will usually be cheaper but YMMV.

Honestly... if you don't want or need more than a 400hp vehicle, find a good 2V PI motor, drop it in and throw a Vortech on it and call it good. The modular is not really a good motor at all for a NA build honestly, it NEEDS a power adder or a radical non-streetable NA build to make big power. If you are going to want to stay NA... Coyote swap.

Old 02-20-2015, 08:47 AM   #24
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
The rods on any non-terminator/00R modular are all the older weaker powdered metal (Boss rods are powdered metal rods too but are good for 800+) and are going to be suspect much past the 400whp range no matter what they are in. C heads... the revised ones ppl seem to think they are made out of gold or something. MUCH more economical to get a set of 99/01 heads off a Continental or something for $200 and then get them rebuilt and a mild port if its even needed but it usually is not. If anything, a little work on the exhaust ports will get it up to 03-05 spec. And IF you are going for revised heads, the ones off an 05 Aviator are the final revision spec with the cooling fix (supposedly but I'd still run the kit) and the 8 thread plug holes.

If you don't have a motor to start with, getting a good running "Cobra" motor is going to be the easiest way to to just drop into a DOHC and go.

The Aviator motor has the same heads and power output as the Cobra and the same block and will usually be cheaper but YMMV.

Honestly... if you don't want or need more than a 400hp vehicle, find a good 2V PI motor, drop it in and throw a Vortech on it and call it good. The modular is not really a good motor at all for a NA build honestly, it NEEDS a power adder or a radical non-streetable NA build to make big power. If you are going to want to stay NA... Coyote swap.

I don't know much about he 01 heads, but the 04 "C" heads have more threads in them for the spark plugs. That's pretty big if it was me building an engine. It would suck to spend all that money just to strip out or blow out a plug.

IG: @azurebluemach
Old 02-20-2015, 09:49 AM   #25

Scottydsntknow
Well that's why I'm looking to get just an engine block. I'm gonna buy all new forged piston and high quality rods to go with the stroker kit. But in heads you are saying the heads off 99-01 Lincoln continental? Would you have a casting number to identify them or a casting number for the heads off the 05 aviator?

Yeah the 400whp is just want and it's not gonna stay NA. Gonna put a m112 on it or maybe a little bigger blower on it. Just want the bottom end to be strong and know it has the strength.

Azure
The C heads have more threads for the spark plugs as compared to which heads? I don't want to blow a plug either
Old 02-20-2015, 10:06 AM   #26
Staff
Regular
Staff

EVERY C head has 4 thread plug holes except 05 Aviator heads and if you can find a set of FRPP C heads (which are 05 Aviator heads). You will likely not have any issues with 4 thread plug holes though or you can just have them all timeserted while the heads are off the motor and never worry again.

I do not have casting numbers off the top of my head but you can google them or you can just look at them visually. Continental C heads are identical to 99/01 Cobra heads and have distinct exhaust ports from the 03-05 revised heads. They are cheap too, like $100 a head.

All that said, if you want 400whp you can use a low mileage 2V PI motor with a S trim and be totally fine. As long as your tune is good it will live a long time at that level. If you DO want to build I would not waste money going with strokers and all sorts of craziness. At that point you might as well just Coyote swap it.

Old 02-20-2015, 10:07 AM   #27
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbroherd View Post
Azure
The C heads have more threads for the spark plugs as compared to which heads? I don't want to blow a plug either

Compared to "C" heads prior to 2004. The difference between B and C heads is in the design. The C heads are supposed to have better cooling to the cylinders closest to the firewall. B are twin port and C are tumble port. There is probably some other differences, but the C's are clearly considered the best of them all. I would just make sure they are the newest version, 2004, so there are more spark plug threads.

Old 02-20-2015, 10:13 AM   #28
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Supposedly, there was a change mid 03 on the heads for cooling (which became the 2004 version) and there was supposed to be a blue mark on the drivers side head. So if you see 03 heads, look for those. This could be when they added additional threads for the spark plugs..?

Old 02-20-2015, 10:19 AM   #29
Staff
Regular
Staff

The B and C heads are completely differnet 4V designs. I mean one is an evolution of another but they are not compatible and the physical dimensions are different as well as the intake and exhaust designs.

The change in 03 was a revision in the actual heads themselves. Better flow all around and a re-designed exhaust port but its not as drastic as the price difference in the 99/01 vs the 03-up heads will lead you to believe.

As far as spark plug threads, they got 8 threads in the final 05 revision. 03/04 C heads still have 4 threads. The blue mark, that was an inventory tool used by some dealerships and one of the biggest lies perpetuated on the internet about these heads. It does NOT mean revised and I even fell for this myself. You'll still see ppl on ebay selling "blue stripe heads" for premium money, that's a scam, don't fall for it.

REPOST

4V Head Info
The first and only production Ford head with two (square primary, round secondary) intake ports per cylinder, these swirl port castings arrived first in the ’93 Lincoln Mark VIII. Aptly named, due to the way they promoted the incoming air to swirl into the combustion chambers, much like water running down the drain of a once full sink.
Through the years these heads have proven themselves to be excellent high rpm (8000rpm+) performers—mainly in power adder applications--since their tremendous combined intake port cross sectional area and volume (when combined, a full 55cc more than any other 4.6L head design) provide for exceptional power production in the upper regions of the tach. Ironically, it’s those same big, beautiful, twin ports that also prove to be the B head’s largest inherent design flaw. The extra intake port size has a tendency to kill low/mid rpm intake port velocity and power production—hence the use of Ford’s first IMRC (intake manifold runner control) intake on the 96-98 Cobra. By allowing air to reach only one of a B head’s twin intake valves, velocity, and therefore low/mid range torque production was restored in situations under 3250rpm. Later head designs are clearly superior in this regard, which happens to be the one of the most important considerations for those wanting a stout street motor.
There is also some controversy over the single fuel injector/dual intake port setup. Some claim insufficient air/fuel mixing because of the compromised design, however, others contest that the ability to make 1000+rwhp with only minor porting and some form of power adder is testament to the contrary. Whoever you believe, there is little doubt that even after as little as 8,000 miles, carbon and other deposits tend to form on the secondary ports, causing a major airflow impedance, as there is no fuel present to clean them. B heads feature a somewhat small stock exhaust port that really hinders flow in power adder applications. Major gains from porting come with a quality valve job, some pocket and lots of exhaust work. There really isn’t a lot of material to remove from the intake ports themselves.
The Bottom Line: B heads aren’t the best choice for a naturally aspirated street motor. In order to really shine, they need to be paired with a power adder and a short block that can sustain high horsepower and rpm levels. These, the oldest heads, may still be a great choice for full race applications.

Stock Intake Choices: ‘93-‘97 Lincoln Mark VIII, ‘96-‘98 Cobra.
Aftermarket/Modified Stock Intake Choices: HCI, SSR, PHP.
B head dimensions: Combustion Chamber: 52cc, Intake Port Vol.: 107cc primary (square), 115cc secondary (round). Intake Port Entrance: 1.500x1.300” primary (square), 1.660x1.400” secondary (round), Valves: 37mm Int., 30mm Exh.

C/Tumble Port: (99/01 Cobra, 99 Lincoln Continental).
These second-generation Ford DOHC heads feature a single intake port per cylinder with a smaller cross sectional area that boosts incoming airflow velocity compared to previous years. To understand how C heads earn their “tumble port” designation, try to imagine an Olympic high diver doing repetitive front somersaults before cleanly entering a pool at the bottom. This controlled tumble allows for better air/fuel mixing than in the earlier swirl port heads. The new port design allowed for both substantial increases in midrange torque, and superior horsepower production under 8000rpm when compared with earlier heads. Combustion chamber size is also up 2cc.
The design downfall of C heads, and their larger (5.4L Navigator) cousins, is the relatively flat floor and utter lack of a short turn radius in the throat of the intake port. As such, the incoming air tends to overshoot the valves, making the port think the valves are smaller than they actually are. Some ‘99/’01 Cobra owners reported a “ticking/pinging” noise coming from the drivers side head of their cars. This is due to insufficient cooling around the #6, 7, and 8 cylinders that allowed the valves to overheat and therefore seat improperly. Ford remedied the situation by issuing a TSB to remove and replace the affected heads with a version that featured altered coolant flow.
C heads feature a small exhaust port much like Ford’s earlier swirl port heads, but unlike in B heads, both the intake (throat region) and exhaust ports can see extensive porting work. However, removing too much material from the intake port (mouth region) of a tumble port head will kill velocity very quickly, so make sure your head porter knows what they are doing!
The Bottom Line: C heads remain a viable performance upgrade for those looking for more punch in their street driven 4.6L four valve, without having to pay new part prices for the ’03 DOHC or FR500 versions. The increased midrange torque production and greater overall area under the power curve (when compared to swirl port heads) will enhance the performance of a street/strip driven (8,000rpm and under) modular regardless of application.

Stock Intake Choices: ‘99/’01 Cobra, ‘03/’04 Mach 1 & Aviator, ’03 Marauder, FR500.
Aftermarket /Modified Stock Intake Choices: Al Papitto short runner/ported ‘99/’01 Cobra, MP carb/Sullivan intake, FR500, Aviator
C head dimensions: Combustion Chamber: 54cc, Intake Port Vol.: 177cc, Intake Port Entrance: 1.960”x1.350”, Valves: 37mm Int., 30mm Exh.

Navigator: (98+ Lincoln Navigator)
These 5.4L DOHC heads feature essentially the same intake port design as C heads, however they have a much larger intake port volume than 4.6L castings. Despite the fact these heads feature a relatively small exhaust port, the extra intake port volume could be very beneficial in helping fill a motor of greater displacement—think 5.4L. Expect slightly better midrange torque, and sub 8000rpm horsepower production than even C heads, however the larger intake port size leaves a slim selection of intakes to choose from when utilized on a 4.6L block. Forced induction fans take note, Navigator exhaust ports feature a thicker exhaust divider (while keeping the same overall exhaust port size as B,C, and FR500 heads) that allows coolant to circulate through this vital area. Conversely however, the larger divider can also hurt flow by utilizing additional space in the port.
The real downside to Navigator heads, when used on a 4.6L based motor, is the severe limitation they impose on intake selection. The physically larger 5.4L heads don’t leave a lot of room (when installed on a 4.6L block) between them for an intake plenum to sit—though they do bolt right up. Remember that since Navigator intake ports are essentially clones of those of C heads (just on a larger scale), they too suffer from the same intake port flaws that plague the earlier tumble port design--no short turn or floor in the throat of the intake port.
The Bottom Line: The extra port volume the Navi’s possess could be very beneficial in filling a motor with greater than 281 cubic inches of displacement, or in high rpm N/A street/strip or boosted combinations. Fans of boost should remember the cooled exhaust port divider. Lack of intake availability is the real downfall of this otherwise wonderful casting.

Stock Intake Choices: None (4.6L), 98+ Navigator (5.4L)
Aftermarket/Modified Stock Intake Choices: Al Papitto short runner 99 Cobra (4.6L), sheet metal
Navigator head dimensions: Combustion Chamber: 53cc, Intake Port Vol.: 184cc, Intake Port Entrance: 2.290”x1.400”, Valves: 37mm Int., 30mm Exh.

’00 Cobra R: (’00 Cobra R)
Cobra R heads are bar none the best Modular heads available today. However, their extremely scare supply makes them both ridiculously hard to find, and unbelievably expensive.
Initial performance results are understandably hard to obtain, however Al Papitto reports that with only 25hrs of port work into the his new ‘00R heads, they have already eclipsed the performance of his old Navigator heads with months of labor in them. These heads feature larger intake and exhaust ports, +1mm larger exhaust valves, and a dry exhaust port divider. Cobra R heads also require the use of a specific valvetrain not shared with any other modular application due mainly to their overall physically larger size. Al also claims R heads have too much port volume for a street/strip 4.6L application; only consider them with a larger 5.4L motor or a serious 4.6L race application paired with some form of power adder.
The Bottom Line: The best heads you can or can’t find for a Modular four valve motor.
You are as likely to come across a set of these Modular “Godfather” heads as you are to be Brittany Spears’ next uterus masseuse. Though based on their performance abilities, you may want to start saving, just in case…
Stock Intake Choices: None (4.6L), ’00 Cobra R (5.4L)
Aftermarket/Modified Stock Intake Choices: Sheet metal
’00 Cobra R head dimensions: Combustion Chamber: N/A , Intake Port Vol.: N/A , Intake Port Entrance: 2.370”x1.300”, Valves: 37mm Int. 31mm Exh.
Stock Intake Choices: ‘00R
Aftermarket Intake Choices: Sheetmetal.

FR500: (FRPP)
The sole “aftermarket” offering of the bunch, these high flow heads feature a modified C head intake port combined with the smallest port volume of the group—it seems Ford meant to design these heads for high performance naturally aspirated applications. With the same small standard exhaust port as most other DOHC heads you will still have to remove a decent amount of material from the exhaust ports. Port entrance shape/size remains identical to C heads so finding an intake isn’t hard. These heads are capable of producing power beyond 8000rpm, where earlier versions of the tumble port castings begin to lose their luster. FR500 heads are prone to the #6,7, and 8 cylinder cooling problems as well. Major intake port differences between these and earlier tumble port heads include a raised intake port roof, and a real short turn radius that better directs the incoming air into the combustion chamber; not over the valves like in earlier versions of tumble port heads. These heads also feature a dry divider in the exhaust port, which allows for greater flow, but also higher temperatures. Though improved, the heads can still use some TLC from a quality porter to smooth the roughly finished and newly implemented short turn radius, and the standard exhaust treatment.
The Bottom Line: Outstanding performance heads, with exceptional low and mid lift flow capability. The FR500s only real fault is that the newer ’03 DOHC heads provide near identical performance capability (much better on the exhaust side) paired with a cost differential that is approximately two-thirds less than the FRPP castings. Still a great choice for any application, the heads readily pair to a wide variety of stock and aftermarket intakes.
Stock Intake Choices: ‘99/’01 Cobra, ‘03/’04 Mach 1 & Aviator, ’03 Marauder, FR500.
Aftermarket /Modified Stock Intake Choices: Al Papitto short runner/ported ‘99/’01 Cobra, MP/Sullivan carb intake, FR500, Aviator.
FR500 head dimensions: Combustion Chamber: 53cc, Intake Port Vol.: 160cc, Intake Port Entrance: 1.960”x1.350”, Valves: 37mm Int., 30mm Exh.

‘03 DOHC head: (‘03+ Aviator, Marauder, Cobra, Mach 1, Australian Boss 260/290)
Featuring a nearly identical (though 17cc larger in volume due to the fact that they are also used on the much larger Australian Boss 260/290 5.4L DOHCs) intake port to the FR500 head, but combining it with a newly designed, larger and more rectangular exhaust port, these may be the best all around DOHC Ford heads ever manufactured. The improvements made to the intake port shape over previous years include a raised port roof and the introduction of a short radius turn in the throat of the intake port that helps assure the incoming air charge finds the combustion chamber. For those with a forced induction street/strip motor, these are without question the best heads available, and as with the FR500s, they should produce great power up to and beyond 8000rpm regardless of application. ’03 DOHC heads also feature higher quality head castings from the supplier, which is at least partially responsible for the modest increase in flow vs. earlier castings--chalk that up to Ford’s revised quality control standards.
Early runs of the ’03 DOHC head fell victim to the same #6,7,8 cylinder coolant flow problems as earlier tumble port castings. In mid ’03 Ford made a running revision to the ’03 DOHC heads that allowed for more coolant to circulate through the affected areas. The Bottom Line: On all accounts these are the best modular four valve heads currently available. They combine the exceptional flow of a slightly larger FR500 intake port with a gigantic new rectangular exhaust port.

Aftermarket/Modified Stock Intake Choices: Al Papitto short runner/ported ‘99/’01 Cobra, MP/Sullivan carb intake, FR500, Aviator.
’03 DOHC head dimensions: Combustion Chamber: 52cc, Intake Port Vol.: 177cc, Intake Port Entrance: 1.960”x1.350”, Valves: 37mm Int., 30mm Exh.

In Conclusion
Our panel of experts surmised that aside from the nearly unobtainable ‘00R heads, the ’03 DOHC heads are without question the right choice for your Modular four-valve performance application . The combination of a slightly larger FR500 intake port and modified throat region, coupled with a new larger rectangular exhaust port, and a relatively low price (due to it’s widespread use in the Ford organization) makes the ’03 DOHC casting the current head stud of Ford’s Modular stable.
After porting, the relatively small stock valves/seats become the most serious flow limitation; as such aftermarket replacements should be a serious consideration for those looking to squeeze every last drop of performance from their DOHC heads.

There, that is a good read and accurate. However, while I definitely agree that the 03-05 heads are the best 4V "available" heads out there... paying $1000 for a good set vs $200... No, not unless they are brand new never run castings and those are almost non-existant anymore. That's another issue with 4V heads, there are no new castings available, its an entireley secondhand/used market. This is not really a problem per-se but when you can buy brand new 2V heads from Ford for less than used 4V heads that need work or the TFS 2V heads brand new... You get where I am going with this.

Old 02-20-2015, 10:24 AM   #30
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Dammit Scotty you are wrong! 04 heads have more than 4 threads! Wtf

Old 02-20-2015, 10:26 AM   #31
Staff
Regular
Staff

Some might but it is because they are 05 castings. I'm sure they probably switched over sometime in the 04 MY run. All depends on the casting numbers on the heads.

Old 02-20-2015, 10:42 AM   #32
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Here's some info...

Quote:
11/15/2003- 4/2004 This was the first 9 thread head

this was the 2004 cobra and the mach 1 head for 2004 this head was completely different. This was the last revision head also known as the FR500 replacement head. This head was issued some time after 11/15/2003 I have confirmed this with every 2004 cobra and mach 1 I have ever touched (approximately 50-60 cobras and 20-30 mach1s ) this head has improved ports also the coolant passages have also been changed. The only way to tell what head you have is by the thread count in the head. 9 thread signifies you have the 2004 heads and 4 thread signifies you have the 2003 heads (while nonpainted 2003 heads notes early 2003 heads) Now there is an easy test to see what heads you have seeing as how all of the threads are at the bottom coming up you can perform a simple thread count test. Start from the tight position and count the number of turns it takes to remove the sparkplug 4-5 turns means you have 4 thread and 8-9 turns means you have the 9 thread heads. if you are buying heads keep this in mind or simply contact me to buy new heads 9 thread with the improved passages 1500 a set complete new
Quote:
Now the facts

I have been in heated discussion after discussion about this. And please bear in mind I have done my home work, so much that I was able to prove LDC the cooling mod people that they were wrong when they tried to say there was no 9 thread heads ever on the 4v motor from the factory. All I tell you is do a simple thread count test that I have listed above and you too will find out that I am correct in this matter. So here are the facts all of the 4v heads built 2002-2004 are all good heads and produce good power, If you are looking to buy heads used or new the 2004 heads are worth more than the 2003 heads however I can get you new ones (2004 9 thread complete heads) for 1500.00 plus shipping. If you figure a valve job is 800.00 on the DOHC heads and if you buy a used set for 800.00 that means you just paid 1600.00 for a set of used heads when you could have had brand new ones. Just a little heads up
^^^from ~2008 on the M1R. I don't think he sells heads anymore, but you never know. Last time he was online was May 2014.
Old 02-20-2015, 10:47 AM   #33
Staff
Regular
Staff

I don't know who that guy is so I can't speak to what he has found but if that is for real then it contradicts what I have seen IRL. Who knows...

Regardless, the 03+ heads will all flow the same and if one is really THAT worried about it then one can do the external cooling mod and timesert the heads and that goes for the 99/01 heads too.

Old 02-20-2015, 11:20 AM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT