Manual trans clunk - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-20-2015, 06:03 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Manual trans clunk

03 Gt clunks into gear sometimes in low speeds , sounds like its coming from rear diff then again sounds like coming right from the trans. bad U-Joint? I do have a rear diff leak to coming from the yoke to.
mustangt03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2015, 07:21 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
My car does it also. When it is rolling slowly and I put it in gear, I can sometimes hear and feel a clunk.
It has done it with three different differentials and I have new u-joints, so I'm pretty sure that it is the transmission. It doesn't seem harmful and I think that it may be that all of the slop in the drivetrain is being taken up when the gear is being engaged.

Anyway, it's not on my list of things to worry about but you should take a look at the driveline and make sure that the u-joints are in good shape and the bolts are all tight.
straybullitt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 07:39 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks, yea im not to worried about it, just was wondering what it could be if it could of been a common easy fix. but i will take a look at everything once i get it on a lift.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2015, 09:28 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Ive figured it was just driveline slack.

Imagine the wheels as one gear and the engine being tbe other gear. If the engine "gear" is rotating, the "wheel" gear is being moved and may slap together at first contact. If you are in overdrive or just at low rpm (low amount of force from engine) then the wheels might be pushing the engine gear (engine breaking) so a sudden jolt from the engine (hitting the gas pedal) will cause the gears to slap again.

Make sense? :/

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 02-21-2015, 01:21 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
These cars have a lot of driveline slop. Whenever my car DOESNT do that noise I just sit there like "well wtf. is it in gear or not??" lol. Especially when you go from reverse to 1st gear
Panther140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 04:35 PM   #6
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
If you don't have the original rear gears its likely that the person who installed the new ones did not set the lash properly. Improperly installed rear gears will cause a dull "thunk" or "clunk" in the driveline.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 11:29 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks guys, for your opinion . The car has never had gears put in, that I know of. I bought completely stock from a single owner that brought it off the showroom floor (female owner also. Babied) it started to clunk after I got it and put 15k -20k miles of hard driving on it. car was completely solid. I just have to face the fact that the car has A LOT of miles on it and things tend to loosin up after awhile.
Old 02-21-2015, 11:35 PM   #8
Staff
Regular
Staff

Well if it is super high miles its probably time to completely go through the suspension if you plan on keeping the car. Pretty much all the bushings out back are rubber and will rot/dry out and basically stop functioning after awhile.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 02-22-2015, 11:38 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Driveline slack, mines been doing it since day 1 with her at 95k miles, 145k now and no difference at all. Same old shiiiiit lol

02 GT
2013 Feb MOTM
Old 02-22-2015, 02:39 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

lol No worries then sounds like its common they all do it. currently running strong at 196,000 just did SR performance springs and castor camber plates, shock and struts are SHOT so doing the koni's STR.T all around for a better ride maybe the end of the week, havent ordered them yet so any comments or advice bring em on!
Old 02-22-2015, 03:13 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

as far as the clunking noise goes, shifting above 1800-2k rpm or so with a decent amount of clutch slip (not a lot, just not droppin the clutch into gear) keeps mine from clunking. It really only clunks on me when i derp up a shift or let of the clutch too fast at a lower rpm.
Old 02-22-2015, 03:47 PM   #12
Staff
Regular
Staff

My never clunked at all, even with the rubber engine/trans mounts. Steeda lcas, aluminum ds, good u joints, ucas were stock originals.

Clunking, in my experience, is caused by excessive play in the rear diff due to a bad gear install or just age, bad motor/trans mounts, shot control arm bushings or a combination of those.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Mustang Evolution mobile app

Old 02-22-2015, 04:25 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
My never clunked at all, even with the rubber engine/trans mounts. Steeda lcas, aluminum ds, good u joints, ucas were stock originals.

Clunking, in my experience, is caused by excessive play in the rear diff due to a bad gear install or just age, bad motor/trans mounts, shot control arm bushings or a combination of those.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Im gonna go with a combination of all of the above. Mine are stock gears but also original engine mounts, cheap trans mount, original rear bushings afaik. 150k miles. So that likely explains mine. I just hope its not a worn rear end. Everything else about it seems just fine.

Sent from my LG-D800 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT