Raxiom dual LEDs worth it? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-21-2015, 09:51 AM   #1
K_B
Registered Member
Regular

Raxiom dual LEDs worth it?

Are the Raxiom dual LED halo headlights worth it? And are the rings actually bright? I'm thinking of putting them on my 2002 gt

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
K_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2015, 04:31 PM   #2
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
IMO, nope. the smoked OEM headlights are some of the best looking headlights you can get.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 07:46 PM   #3
K_B
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks. I have some dual leds now but it's CCFL and they suck so I was debating between Raxiom or smoked oem lights and HIDs. I think smoked it is lol

---------- Post added at 01:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:45 AM ----------

Where'd you get your smoked ones from??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2015, 10:38 PM   #4
Staff
Regular
Staff

OEM lights and HIDs is a terrible idea. You should NEVER run HIDs in stock housings. Now if you are talking about a legit retrofit that is a totally different story. If not, there are plenty of real good quality halogen bulbs out there that are plenty bright and will not be a hazard to oncoming traffic.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 02-21-2015, 11:12 PM   #5
K_B
Registered Member
Regular

Ok gotcha what's a good bulb that's gonna actually shine white and not yellow?
Old 02-21-2015, 11:22 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
The raxiom halos are terrible. A guy at work has them on his 96 GT and he can barely see at night when driving. They look OK I guess but they don't function well at least in his case.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Follow on Instagram @steviesstangs
15% off waxgods.com use code: manic15
10% off toplabel.com use code: Manic10
Steve96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 11:24 PM   #7
Staff
Regular
Staff

OSRAM Night Breakers or Philips Xtremes are both good ones.

Old 02-21-2015, 11:25 PM   #8
K_B
Registered Member
Regular

Ok thanks!
Old 02-21-2015, 11:33 PM   #9
Staff
Regular
Staff

Also remember, white does not equal brighter and there is a reason that halogen bulbs (and OEM HIDs) are a yellow or slightly yellow color. Your eyes are attuned to yellow sunlight and work best in that color spectrum. Hyper white or blue/white (or the jackasses that run pink/purple HIDs) will drastically reduce your actual functionality and probably should be highly illegal (IIRC they are in many places).

Also be aware that many of the "white high power" halogens out there achieve this look by simply burning a regular halogen bulb hotter and putting a blue film on it (Sylvania Silverstars is a perfect example). This not only lowers overall lumen output, it decreases bulb life. The optical illusion of this is that they do look brighter to the average person because of the harsher white light but they are not.

With that said, the OSRAMS do have a blue film on parts of the bulb but not all of it. They are probably going to be the brightest out there besides Philips HIR bulbs (which won't fit in your housings) but they will burn out relatively quickly. I'd take a good hard look at the Philips Xtreme bulbs which are a very good soft white bulb if you want a real high quality bulb that will last awhile and has a very good lumen output.

Old 02-22-2015, 12:30 AM   #10
K_B
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks for the info
Old 02-22-2015, 08:00 AM   #11

Region: California
I have the smoked Raxiom headlights. Halos look great... Bright enough. The headlights...horrible!! Its like driving at night with no headlights at all. I sold them to someone else. If you get them...get HIDs and you should be good to go. 6000k HIDs. Give you the brightest output.

Sent from my LG-D851 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Aaron636r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 09:19 AM   #12
K_B
Registered Member
Regular

I have some spec-d smoked dual halos and the rings are good but I can't see anything with the headlights so I need to do something else
Old 02-22-2015, 01:04 PM   #13
Staff
Regular
Staff

Well being smoked does not help... I've said it before and I'll say it x1000 times, there is literally no reason to have HIDs and I'm not quite sure why they have become this... thing...

A properly aimed/installed halogen setup is going to be PLENTY bright. The problem most of the time is the lights are not aimed right, fogged, smoked or junk bulbs are being used. I know for a fact from multiple cars that a good halogen can be ridiculously bright and I lived on a house on backroads with zero streetlights for a long time. Never had any problems with my 95 Cobra with OEM headlights and Philips bulbs. My 98... that thing's HIR hi-beams were scary bright.

Old 02-22-2015, 05:32 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
HID.......HIDs are the best lights for driving at night. Smoked lenses look awesome on a car, but suck for driving at night...just my opinion.
BigD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 09:09 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia

1999-04 Mustang Pre Packaged Headlights - HID Retrofit Lights
robb15033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 10:18 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Or save 350 and buy. http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00JBJ...6AKHG2VFGXZWTA

Sent from my LG-D415 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 02-23-2015, 08:17 AM   #17
Staff
Regular
Staff

If you are going to pay $350, just get OEM. LRS sells them and they will give a 6% discount to some forums (they are not a sponsor here tho).

Mustang OE Headlight Kit (01-04)

This is what I would buy if I had any NE and needed new headlights. I would not waste my time with aftmarket or "oe style" replacements. Ford OEM is going to be WAY superior to all of them.

Toss a Night Breaker or a Philips Xtreme Vision/Power in there and G2G.

Old 02-23-2015, 11:29 AM   #18
Site Sponsor
Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by K_B View Post
Are the Raxiom dual LED halo headlights worth it? And are the rings actually bright? I'm thinking of putting them on my 2002 gt

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Hey K_B,

In my opinion, when paired with a quality bulb, these headlights are great and will get you the output that you're after. In regards to the rings being bright, they are definitely bright and look great although they are not what is actually lighting up the road. That comes from the bulb!

I have heard that the bulbs that come with the Raxiom units are not the best around, but that is something that can be fixed simply by upgrading the bulb.

The Raxiom Black Projector Headlights are pretty new to the market and have been welcomed with open arms! They no longer use a smoked lens (which is known to block light output) and instead use a completely black housing with a clear lens!

These paired with a Sylvania Silverstar Ultra will be an awesome setup and you will not be disappointed.

Check out some of these shots of the bulbs:

Hope this helps!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve96 View Post
The raxiom halos are terrible. A guy at work has them on his 96 GT and he can barely see at night when driving. They look OK I guess but they don't function well at least in his case.
Hey Steve, sorry to hear that your friend is having trouble with the headlights, that is definitely not what we like to hear! We would be more than willing to have this remedied at no cost to him, simply have him give us a call or reach out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron636r View Post
I have the smoked Raxiom headlights. Halos look great... Bright enough. The headlights...horrible!! Its like driving at night with no headlights at all. I sold them to someone else. If you get them...get HIDs and you should be good to go. 6000k HIDs. Give you the brightest output.
Hey Aaron,

Sorry to hear about the trouble you had, if you ever have any issues with products that we sell, please let us know as I can guarantee that we can fix any issue you come across! We're here to do what we can to make our customers happy at all times. We pride ourselves in our customer service and we love our friends here at Mustangevolution!

If anyone has any questions or needs any help, please feel free to reach out!

-Will
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
WIN A $1500 MMD STYLING PACKAGE
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 12:06 PM   #19
Staff
Regular
Staff

Do those new Raxioms take 9005/9006 bulbs or is it something else? You also might want to look into doing a non-halo version of these new ones if its not already out AND make sure it can use the 9005/9006 bulbs. Not everyone likes the halos and I personally think they are ricey but a projector like the 94-98 DEPO projectors for the 99-04 cars would be cool.

I say 9005/9006 bulbs because:

1 - That bulb type is just a very bright bulb anyway

2 - That socket allows the 9011/9012 HIR halogen to be used which is a bulb that I can say from personal experience is brighter than most aftermarket HIDs.

Old 02-23-2015, 01:33 PM   #20
ME Bloodhound
Staff

If you want a high quality set up get an HID retrofit.

I'm going to be getting a set just like these shortly.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1424719948.098147.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	133.2 KB
ID:	176024
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1424720006.230433.jpg
Views:	285
Size:	134.0 KB
ID:	176025

Bullitts are better than Bullets

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 01:37 PM   #21
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
If you want a high quality set up get an HID retrofit.

I'm going to be getting a set just like these shortly.
Attachment 176024
Attachment 176025

This, and note the yellow HALOGENS in the fogs. There is a reason even high end luxury cars come with yellow halogen fogs and not HIDs in the fogs and this example mirrors that. Yellow cuts through fog the best and having too bright of a light in fog will reflect off the water droplets and reduce visability. This is why they say to not use high beams in the fog and if anyone has ever tried, you know what I'm talking about. Anyone with HID fogs... put them in the same boat as the coffee cans and stick on wings.

In the end... if you want a HID and your car didn't come with it you need to get a retrofit. HIDGuy does them as do others.

$500 for a fully retrofitted set might sound like a lot of money but that's for the HID kit, the lights, a cleanup, everything.

Old 02-23-2015, 02:11 PM   #22
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Raxiom dual LEDs worth it?

The kit im going to get will be around $580ish total. Which is actually cheap for what it is. Similar set ups you can find at $800+

That's for the complete retrofitted housings, HIDs and some red Demon eyes I can turn on and off (they are only $40 more for the demon eyes so why not lol).

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT