Intakes - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-22-2015, 06:42 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Intakes

Okay, this isn't a which intake thread. I'm curios, that SR intakes get better gains than JLT with bama tune. I thought JLT was one of the best? I think it is, but can anyone explain that?

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
joe_117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2015, 07:09 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Jlt are big intakes, diameter wise, on a boosted car i am sure they will perform better cause it allows for more air. N/A you will most likely lose some torque and maybe some horse beacause you widen the intake you lose air velosity which help fill the combustion chamber with air and fuel mixture faster for a more accurate complete burn

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
clinesr22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 07:26 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by clinesr22 View Post
Jlt are big intakes, diameter wise, on a boosted car i am sure they will perform better cause it allows for more air. N/A you will most likely lose some torque and maybe some horse beacause you widen the intake you lose air velosity which help fill the combustion chamber with air and fuel mixture faster for a more accurate complete burn

Well some bigot argued with me saying that a SR is better than a JLT. I'm not saying it's true, but I find it hard to believe due to sr having metal tubing, smaller diameter, and the filter not being in the fender.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2015, 07:32 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_117 View Post
Well some bigot argued with me saying that a SR is better than a JLT. I'm not saying it's true, but I find it hard to believe due to sr having metal tubing, smaller diameter, and the filter not being in the fender.

Sr performance filters are in the fender... Jlt is defiantly better quality by a long shot.
Old 02-22-2015, 07:36 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitMuscle99 View Post
Sr performance filters are in the fender... Jlt is defiantly better quality by a long shot.

Oh my mistake, but he said sr is better than JLT. I told him no and he went off saying how my mustang is slow. Yea it is but it just makes me mad.

Old 02-22-2015, 07:46 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Oh my mistake, but he said sr is better than JLT. I told him no and he went off saying how my mustang is slow. Yea it is but it just makes me mad.

I learned that people are going to argue and debate all day, I have been down that road plenty of times more on this forum than others. In the end it's all about the proof and someone's setup. I love when people on the internet say my cars slow and don't have a clue as to how modded it is, I may give them a few mods I have... but never the full mod list for these reasons. Better off not even entertaining it because there minds already set you won't convince them. Like a previous poster said on a boosted setup etc it's probly better and the jlt intake could probly bolt up a bigger afm no problem where with the Sr you would have to fabricate to make it fit.
Old 02-22-2015, 08:27 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Honestly i cant tell you which is better beacuse 1. I run a bbk fenderwell cai and 2. I havent done much research but from what i know you need air velosity as well as volume but to achieve max performance you need both.

Old 02-22-2015, 08:57 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitMuscle99 View Post
I learned that people are going to argue and debate all day, I have been down that road plenty of times more on this forum than others. In the end it's all about the proof and someone's setup. I love when people on the internet say my cars slow and don't have a clue as to how modded it is, I may give them a few mods I have... but never the full mod list for these reasons. Better off not even entertaining it because there minds already set you won't convince them. Like a previous poster said on a boosted setup etc it's probly better and the jlt intake could probly bolt up a bigger afm no problem where with the Sr you would have to fabricate to make it fit.

Like someone asked what intake to get. I said JLT. I told him it was a good intake. Some guy said their garbage. And that sr is the best intake. Don't get me wrong I'm not bashing on sr, but if i was gonna get a intake it wouldn't be sr. That's just me, I read a lot about them. I just would rather have A JLT because of people that has used them.

Old 02-23-2015, 09:28 AM   #9
Site Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Okay, this isn't a which intake thread. I'm curios, that SR intakes get better gains than JLT with bama tune. I thought JLT was one of the best? I think it is, but can anyone explain that?
Hey Joe

That's a good question and a tough one because while I'm definitely biased working here I've had both the SR Performance CAI and the JLT CAI on my 2001 Mustang!

JLT makes a great kit and I know a lot of their employees over there. They make a great product and there's no doubt about it as Jay put himself in the market because he felt that he could make a better preforming kit! Being said there's still a difference in price at at the end of the day I'm a consumer just like everyone else in here. If I had to do this all over again with a 2V I would definitely shoot for the SR CAI as there's a $180 difference in cost!

While they're fairly similar there are some big differences - The JLT Cold Air in plastic and in some cases plastic will make better power it wont contract and expand like metal will. I'm not sure if you show your car but if you're after points judges will typically look for chrome. While it's shiny and looks great the downside with chrome is that it might make 1hp less (It's not something that we could really feel driving) another downside is that its finish will need to be maintained periodically (just a little polish under the hood whenever you're washing the car) Check out out our Review on the SR Intake Below and a few customer submitted reviews as well!

I'm not commission based here but having had and installed both of them I would shoot for the SR! Let me know if you're to have any other questions and I'm here to help and if you don't have our Mustang Evolution Forums Discount Code shoot me a PM and I'll get you set up!

Alex
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
WIN A SUPERCHARGED MUSTANG & 2017 RAPTOR!
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMAlexLazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 09:46 AM   #10
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
No personal experience with the SR but I've heard a lot about it and if its the same as the BBK it'll rust if you just look at it wrong, which is what I hear about it. In all honesty, until you upgrade the plenum, leave the stock air tubing alone and look elsewhere. When you do eventually get one, make sure that it locates the filter in the fender. The hot air intakes that ppl install are idiotic and I'll never understand why ppl replace the factory CAI with a HAI.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 12:41 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMAlexLazarus View Post
Hey Joe

That's a good question and a tough one because while I'm definitely biased working here I've had both the SR Performance CAI and the JLT CAI on my 2001 Mustang!

JLT makes a great kit and I know a lot of their employees over there. They make a great product and there's no doubt about it as Jay put himself in the market because he felt that he could make a better preforming kit! Being said there's still a difference in price at at the end of the day I'm a consumer just like everyone else in here. If I had to do this all over again with a 2V I would definitely shoot for the SR CAI as there's a $180 difference in cost!

While they're fairly similar there are some big differences - The JLT Cold Air in plastic and in some cases plastic will make better power it wont contract and expand like metal will. I'm not sure if you show your car but if you're after points judges will typically look for chrome. While it's shiny and looks great the downside with chrome is that it might make 1hp less (It's not something that we could really feel driving) another downside is that its finish will need to be maintained periodically (just a little polish under the hood whenever you're washing the car) Check out out our Review on the SR Intake Below and a few customer submitted reviews as well!

I'm not commission based here but having had and installed both of them I would shoot for the SR! Let me know if you're to have any other questions and I'm here to help and if you don't have our Mustang Evolution Forums Discount Code shoot me a PM and I'll get you set up!

Alex

Thanks man for the review! I plan to buy an intake from AM!

Old 02-24-2015, 12:56 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

I had a SR intake and now I have the stock one back on if that explains anything.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Follow on Instagram @steviesstangs
15% off waxgods.com use code: manic15
10% off toplabel.com use code: Manic10
Steve96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 02:40 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve96 View Post
I had a SR intake and now I have the stock one back on if that explains anything.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

How come?

Old 02-24-2015, 03:18 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arkansas
Tuneable inductions, JLT are the best 2 intakes. K&n and airaid are about the same as a stock intake with a replaceable filter. And any metal intake that's a fender well intake is the same as any other: BBK, SR, or whatever others there are. Only problem is how much does the metal heat up the air and are they better than airaid or k&n? I Never datalogged reading air intake temps or dyno'd using each intake, so I wouldn't know!

2004 Mustang GT 5 Speed Full Bolt On 360rwhp 440rwtq
12.1 @ 117.9 (1.7) in 1/4th
7.6 @ 92.1 (1.6) in 1/8th
Speed_Mister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 03:20 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arkansas
I had a BBK and I went back to stock with a k&n filter also. I think it was cliffy on here that proved that the stock intake is the best cold air intake.

2004 Mustang GT 5 Speed Full Bolt On 360rwhp 440rwtq
12.1 @ 117.9 (1.7) in 1/4th
7.6 @ 92.1 (1.6) in 1/8th
Speed_Mister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 06:28 AM   #16
Staff
Regular
Staff

Only thing I didn't like about the stock intake is on the turn going into the TB it necks down REALLY small but apparently on a stock/bolt on setup its enough. IMO, if you are going to go with an aftermarket, just get the JLT and call it good. The cheaper metal ones get heat soaked and (as was my experience) corrode and look like butt unless you don't take the car out in bad weather.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 02-24-2015, 08:05 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Thanks man for the review! I plan to buy an intake from AM!

He should have dynoed with just the intake , to see if it actually makes a difference.

alecas447 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 09:49 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

I was just mad that the guy basically said JLT is trash. When he doesn't know a thing. I will buy a JLT but not till a tune. I even told him that and he said I was dumb.

Old 02-24-2015, 10:43 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
I have an SR intake and am very mixed. All the clamps that come with it are junk, and need to be replaced with quality hose clamps. Also I noticed how much the metal intake heats up compared to the stock. But for how cheap it is I don't have any complaints. I did notice the car breathing better.

Now I've seen JLT intakes and they are better intakes than SR. No question. They are definitely higher quality and in my opinion JLT is the best intake you can buy. The price difference reflects this. Whoever said SR is better than JLT is just in denial.

Sent from my XT1095 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

Roxanne- 1998 Mustang GT Convertible: 5-Speed, 2001 PI 2V swap, o/r h-pipe, Magnaflow catback, MGW shifter,
3.73 gears, Auburn LSD, TA diff cover, MM FLSFCs, Ford Strut Tower Brace, J&M SS Brake Lines, and a lot of visual/restoration work.
DutchManDann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 10:57 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchManDann View Post
I have an SR intake and am very mixed. All the clamps that come with it are junk, and need to be replaced with quality hose clamps. Also I noticed how much the metal intake heats up compared to the stock. But for how cheap it is I don't have any complaints. I did notice the car breathing better.

Now I've seen JLT intakes and they are better intakes than SR. No question. They are definitely higher quality and in my opinion JLT is the best intake you can buy. The price difference reflects this. Whoever said SR is better than JLT is just in denial.

Sent from my XT1095 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

He told me that there is no difference in the intakes. I told him it's not metal, plus it's a really large diameter intake compared to the sr

Old 02-24-2015, 03:31 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

You would think with plastic the heat would go through it even more than metal. I mean sure the plastic might cool down quicker between runs etc. I have mixed thoughts on this as they all would get heat soaked tubing unless your hood was off lol. I think the best benefit is having the filter in the fenderwell, other than that they both take heat wether metal or plastic.
Old 02-24-2015, 07:03 PM   #22
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
He told me that there is no difference in the intakes. I told him it's not metal, plus it's a really large diameter intake compared to the sr

I recommend you stop wasting your time talking to ppl like that. He probably has cherry bombs on a car that can barely click off a 15.4 @96mph.

Old 02-24-2015, 07:07 PM   #23
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
I recommend you stop wasting your time talking to ppl like that. He probably has cherry bombs on a car that can barely click off a 15.4 @96mph.
Doesn't matter bro look at everybody look as I drive through town at 4500 rpms! Why would I shift up!

Sent from my VS985 4G using Mustang Evolution mobile app
natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 07:21 PM   #24
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by natestang07 View Post
Doesn't matter bro look at everybody look as I drive through town at 4500 rpms! Why would I shift up!

Oh god I went to school with someone like this. Guy had a BEAT 74 Camaro and thought he was the fastest thing on the road. He was also a skeever and like... scary skeever. Kind of guy you kept an eye on because it wouldn't be surprising to wind up as his lampshade.

Old 02-24-2015, 07:39 PM   #25
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
Quote:
Oh god I went to school with someone like this. Guy had a BEAT 74 Camaro and thought he was the fastest thing on the road. He was also a skeever and like... scary skeever. Kind of guy you kept an eye on because it wouldn't be surprising to wind up as his lampshade.
I gave kids like that in hishchool candy so when they go crazy they remember I was nice lol

natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 08:49 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Well this guy asked for advice. "The best intake for a 01 GT. No cheap" exactly what he said. I simply said JLT and someone was your stupid, etc.

Old 02-25-2015, 06:48 AM   #27
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Well this guy asked for advice. "The best intake for a 01 GT. No cheap" exactly what he said. I simply said JLT and someone was your stupid, etc.

Lol, wonder what his reaction would have been if you told him "if you still have the stock plenum then stock".

Sadly... one of the other reasons I got out of a SN95 Mustang was because way way waaaaay too many "ricers"/dumbasses like your "someone" were getting ahold of them. I'm driving around in my super nice 98 and some jackass in a riced all to hell and back 97 pulls up and starts revving at me. Like...

Only good thing about that is that idiots like that never actually expect a 96-98GT to be fast I guess. Fun to do a quick 1-2 pull and put a few car lengths on them and watch them panic and spin and let off the gas at 40mph and wait for the "ricer flyby" haha.

Old 02-25-2015, 08:18 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Lol, wonder what his reaction would have been if you told him "if you still have the stock plenum then stock".

Sadly... one of the other reasons I got out of a SN95 Mustang was because way way waaaaay too many "ricers"/dumbasses like your "someone" were getting ahold of them. I'm driving around in my super nice 98 and some jackass in a riced all to hell and back 97 pulls up and starts revving at me. Like...

Only good thing about that is that idiots like that never actually expect a 96-98GT to be fast I guess. Fun to do a quick 1-2 pull and put a few car lengths on them and watch them panic and spin and let off the gas at 40mph and wait for the "ricer flyby" haha.

Lol of course the ricer fly by. But I just accept that we have ricer mustangs here. No body messes with me tho really unless it's a truck/diesel

Old 02-25-2015, 05:52 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Minnesota
I'm looking at intake also to go with my Bama tune I plan on getting for my 2004 Mustang GT. Just want to help the motor breath a little easier.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 02-26-2015, 07:53 AM   #30
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by phatspeed7x View Post
I'm looking at intake also to go with my Bama tune I plan on getting for my 2004 Mustang GT. Just want to help the motor breath a little easier.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Mustang Evolution mobile app
-TFS plenum/75mm TB combo on Summit
-JLT CAI
-MPT Tune

Like I've said in all your threads. Or you could just go with worse stuff and be slower...

Old 02-26-2015, 11:04 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Minnesota
Quote:
-TFS plenum/75mm TB combo on Summit
-JLT CAI
-MPT Tune

Like I've said in all your threads. Or you could just go with worse stuff and be slower...
I just ordered parts. American Muscle got more money from me.
Old 02-26-2015, 11:38 AM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by phatspeed7x View Post
I just ordered parts. American Muscle got more money from me.

Lol so far since I got my mustang in November AM has managed to hustle $3500 from me with my last purchase last night. Lol. That doesn't include the money I spent from late model restoration or cj pony.

Sent from the mothership.
Slater2111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 06:04 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

What have you done so far

Old 02-26-2015, 06:16 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Intakes

So far that's on the car now,
C&L Plenum and 70mm throttle body
High output Alternator and alternator wire.
Plugs
Cops
Slp loud mouth1
X4 tuner MPT tunes
New OEM tinted headlights
New OEM fog lights
Bulbs for both
Belts/ hoses
Blue tooth radio

Waiting to be installed this weekend.
Everything to rebuild rear end.
3.73 gears
Gt 500 diff cover and rear end cooler
Deep aluminum Transmission pan
Tranny cooler
And ordered a off road mac prochamber yesterday. That's going to be installed next weekend.

Slater2111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 07:08 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slater2111 View Post
So far that's on the car now,
C&L Plenum and 70mm throttle body
High output Alternator and alternator wire.
Plugs
Cops
Slp loud mouth1
X4 tuner MPT tunes
New OEM tinted headlights
New OEM fog lights
Bulbs for both
Belts/ hoses
Blue tooth radio

Waiting to be installed this weekend.
Everything to rebuild rear end.
3.73 gears
Gt 500 diff cover and rear end cooler
Deep aluminum Transmission pan
Tranny cooler
And ordered a off road mac prochamber yesterday. That's going to be installed next weekend.

Nice set up! Bet you cant wait to get the rest installed

Oxford White Roush Stage 1 SN# 6925--SOLD but never forgotten!
Kona Blue GT premium - Slammed on BC's and BMR's full rear suspension
The_Chech is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT