Help!!!! Please - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-02-2015, 09:10 AM   #1

Help!!!! Please

have a mustang 87 5.0 I was driving normal and suddenly I see smoke and wile that happens I noticed that my transmisson was struggling to get into gear the good thing is that I was a block away from my house wen that happened and it had drop all the tranny oil wen I look under my car one of the oil line that goes from the radiator to the tranny had came of so I fixed the leak and put 5 bottles of tranny oil so wen I started the car and it only goes reverse park neutral and firs gear it doesn't shift to 2'3'4 .do I need a new tranny is fixable? Pl !!!help! Is an automatic transmission

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
javier45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2015, 02:12 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
After you fixed the leak and refilled the transmission, did you check to make sure that the transmission fluid is filled to the correct level, with the engine running and the transmission in Park?

If you are positive that the transmission is filled exactly to the full line on the dipstick, unfortunately, yes, there is a good chance that there is a problem with your transmission.
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 02:25 PM   #3
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by straybullitt View Post
After you fixed the leak and refilled the transmission, did you check to make sure that the transmission fluid is filled to the correct level, with the engine running and the transmission in Park?

If you are positive that the transmission is filled exactly to the full line on the dipstick, unfortunately, yes, there is a good chance that there is a problem with your transmission.
He put in 5 quarts but when I looked it up I found it said 12.3 quarts. Is that right?

Sent from my VS985 4G using Mustang Evolution mobile app
natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2015, 02:26 PM   #4
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
That is what I'm talking about

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1425327989845.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	93.5 KB
ID:	176510  
natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 03:16 PM   #5
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Other
^this. It most likely needs more oil. It won't move if it's low enough as the torque converter works like a hydraulic pump. I bet it would move with a few more qts but it would probably still be low.
oxford5pointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 04:12 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by natestang07 View Post
He put in 5 quarts but when I looked it up I found it said 12.3 quarts. Is that right?

It is a different transmission, but the E4OD in my truck requires around 5 GALLONS!

I don't know if any of you guys have accidentally started an engine with the transmission cooler lines removed but it shoots out a fairly strong stream of transmission fluid! It wouldn't take long to pump the transmission empty.
I don't know how much the OP lost but it might require a good part of that 12 quarts to refill the transmission. The fluid level does need to be near the "full" line on the dipstick for the transmission to operate properly though.
Old 03-02-2015, 07:46 PM   #7

Yea cause wen it drop all the oil the dip stick was dry and I only put in 5 quarts am i'm so am going to add 5 more and see what happens I will let u guys know if it work or not.. I can't really tell from the dip stick cause wen I take it out wen the car is running it come out whit oil all over the please I can't tell

Old 03-02-2015, 07:47 PM   #8

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1425347226.484614.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	176536

Old 03-02-2015, 07:49 PM   #9

Thanks for the help guys really👍

Old 03-02-2015, 08:31 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Nice car!

Make sure that you don't over-fill the transmission either! Just add a quart at a time, with the engine turned off, until you can see the transmission fluid appear on the dipstick. Then turn the engine on and continue adding a small amount of transmission fluid until the level is slightly below the "full" line. Once you get it close, drive the car until the transmission warms up to normal operating temperature, and then re-check the fluid level and get it as close as you can to the "full" line without going over it.
Old 03-02-2015, 09:31 PM   #11

Ok thanks

Old 03-03-2015, 11:25 AM   #12
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Region: Indiana
the 87's had an AOD tranny. You should look up the capacity for those to make sure you get her filled right.

*edit*
If you just drop the pan, it supposed to be around 8 quarts. If you also drain the converter (I don't know how that's done), it's supposed to be 12-13 quarts. Make sure you keep track of what you put in. You can always add right! It would suck to overfill and have to drop the pan again and refill. It take Dextron/Mercon III. Make sure the car is fully warmed up and on a flat surface in park, then check the fluid level and add to get it to the full line.

From another Mustang forum...
Quote:
to refill.. (per the ATSG AOD manual) pour in 4 quarts of ATF, remove the coil wire and try to start the car (turns the engine over a few times), stop cranking the car, then pour 4 more quarts of ATF in, then reconnect the coil and start the engine and dump in the final 4 quarts of ATF quickly. Run it through the gears while in the drive way to purge air from the valvebody.. and use the extra quart to top off the transmission

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT