2002 gt automatic - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-02-2015, 06:18 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

2002 gt automatic

Debating on heads cams exhaust and gear or the on 3 turbo set up? Have seen some dyno numbers from the on 3 here at a speed shop and for the money it's pretty impressive! Any one had any experience in a heads can intake exhaust and gear setup? What kinda power can be had and be a daily driver on a motor setup as opposed to a turbo
bwright1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2015, 11:50 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Numbers will be great. But a turbo set up is going to get very expensive.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
alecas447 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 12:53 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
"Full" bolt on and cammed cars make from 290-325ish from what I have seen on here so far. That's with a stage 1-2 cam set up and a good tune of course. Turbo/sc set ups safely run 400-425ish on stock internals. Also from being on this site it seems piecing together a SC kit is the way to go for your HP to $ ratio.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Follow on Instagram @steviesstangs
15% off waxgods.com use code: manic15
10% off toplabel.com use code: Manic10
Steve96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2015, 12:55 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
A couple guys have pieced together vortech kits and have had good results. I'm sure with the On3 Turbo kit you would be in the realm of what the stock internals can handle without blowing it.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Follow on Instagram @steviesstangs
15% off waxgods.com use code: manic15
10% off toplabel.com use code: Manic10
Steve96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 12:59 AM   #5
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
Go with the On3 kit. They have really stepped up their game lately and are a pretty affordable kit. Just if you get the kit sell the turbo and upgrade it. That's the only thing sub-par. Everything else is good.

It'll be cheaper and make more power than heads and cams.

Bullitts are better than Bullets

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 03:45 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

The on 3 kits tuned with everything you need injectors blow thru mass air k frame and coil overs tuner runs about 4500 to 5k installed out the door I saw them run one at 5psi and had around 350hp 380tq at the wheels they then run it at 10psi and 440hp/460tq was on the screen. Never had a turbo car nor a blower I've always been a nitrous guy just looking to keep my daily driver and have some steam put in my pony
Old 03-03-2015, 10:55 PM   #7
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Stock internals will let go around the 450whp mark give or take. You do not need to upgrade the heads/cams to support this and the stock PI intake is actually a REALLY good intake and will support more air than the heads or the cams will so no need to upgrade there either.

Cheapest/easiest way to get to the upper safe limits of the stock internals, simple bolt ons and then a Vortech. If you want to do the On3, it will be more expensive and more complicated but if you like Turbos its easily the best bang for the buck kit out there. On3 has really fixed their **** and even their newer turbos are good now. Witness the Coyote guys running the all On3 twin setups into the 9s no problem.

And when I say simple bolt ons plus a Vortech I mean it. Mid Pipe, Catback, Plenum/TB, the Vortech and a Power Pipe for the Vortech and a tune and you'll be right at 425. The rest of the money should go towards gears, suspension and chassis bracing because a stock suspension car with a Vortech will lose vs a bolt on car with a tricked out suspension setup that is making 100+hp less in a 1/4 race.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 06:30 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Scott my only hold up with a blower is it's 5grand to the door then install tune injectors and all the other mess that's a **** ton load of cash! That's the only reason I was leaning towards the on3. Your thoughts
Old 03-04-2015, 08:31 PM   #9
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwright1973 View Post
Scott my only hold up with a blower is it's 5grand to the door then install tune injectors and all the other mess that's a **** ton load of cash! That's the only reason I was leaning towards the on3. Your thoughts
My thoughts is that you are cray if you think the on3 is going to be any cheaper. It will actually cost more.

This is not a cheap hobby, and REALLY not a cheap hobby if you are paying a shop to do all your work. I've also been on record saying in many threads here that by the time you add up the cost of an older Mustang like your 02, all the bolt ons, a power adder and all the other nickel/dime stuff you could probably be close to or at the Coyote price point.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 03-05-2015, 03:41 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Oh I know all about the money side of this I had a 1969 z28 small block 434 400shot of gas it was just over a 1000 hp that car I had a mint in it! Those where before kids and a divorce! Lol I just like the 1999 thru 2004 mustang body as I found a mint car as a platform one owner all service records and 63,000 miles for 5000 bucks so just trying to figure out a path to roll have my drivability and done decent horsepower to play with
Old 03-05-2015, 10:54 AM   #11
Staff
Regular
Staff

That's a damn good price and being an automatic you'll be faster at the 1/4 and not have to deal with the first run problems of the Tremec 5 speeds from 01-04. Only gripe I would have is that is not an 04 lol. The 04 got a better trans (4R75W) but the 4R70W in the 97.5-03 is still a very good unit that will take more power than the stock internals.

As far as the power adders... go on the On3 website and price out the whole kit, its not $2k... you need a MAF adapter, fuel stuff, other misc stuff etc... probably going to be above a new S trim when done and the install on a turbo will be much more $$ than a supercharger if you are paying for it. Both blowers will get you to the stock limit of the motor easy, just different characteristics.

Being an auto and going for drag for a fun weekend 1/4 car I would do:

-Subframes (Spintechs for no ground clearance issues at all)
-J-mod
-Triple Disc Converter
-Aluminum DS
-Steeda or MM lower control arms
-4.10 or 4.30 gears
-27" tall tires out back
-Trick flow Plenum/75mm TB
-Lower the car front/back and set it up for straight line
-MM CC plates
-Good OR midpipe and catback
-Fuel system for a power adder
-Vortech S trim

That's a car that will run mid 11s all day consistently and then drive home with the AC on and a drink in the cupholder.

Old 03-05-2015, 03:22 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Do you run a vortech??? And my buddy is the ford guy at the speed shop I go to he said out the door installed and tuned maf injectors k-frame rolling is about 5 grand. Reason I ask is all I've ever had is nos cars I'd love a blower or turbo once. What all have you done to your car performance wise and lastly dos the vortech sound like a bad alternator bearing going bad or is it quiet
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1425590291.499019.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	110.2 KB
ID:	176736  
Old 03-05-2015, 05:57 PM   #13
Staff
Regular
Staff

I had a vortech pushrod way back in the day. The V1 headunit is the noisy one but I personally like it. If you get a quiet unit you can't really hear it but what's the fun in that? $5k turnkey is pretty good actually, I don't like paying shops myself but I know not everyone is able to do their own work. Or wants to...

The thing with the Vortech is... the power is always there but until you decide to get into boost, the car drives like NA which is actually pretty great for a DD or a car that is just pleasure driven a lot. Tool around out of boost and you get great gas mileage, stock street manners but when you DO decide to get on it its like a the car got drop kicked in the *** and it MOVES.

If you want the boost to come on earlier with a Vortech you can always install a wastegate like you would with a turbo and install a pulley setup for a lot more boost than you actually plan on running. Set the WG for your actual boost level you want and since the blower is "overspun" it'll spin up a lot faster but it won't blow your motor because the WG will vent the excess pressure before it hits the throttle body. Hopefully that makes sense but its a really good trick a lot of centrifugal guys use.

Old 03-05-2015, 07:02 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Can't thank you enough for all the info! I just went on on3 web site to get a total. 3800 gets the kit gen 2 that's with 60lbs injectors a 320 pump upr k-frame with coil overs the upgraded ceramic bearing turbo 78mm blow thru maf calibrated to the injectors. My buddy said a grand labor that's installed tuned driving away. So let's call it 5 grand total for the turbo driving away. S-trims roughly 4200 plus injectors and fuel pump I can pretty much do that install then a tune the blowers probably a couple hundred more so they are about tit for tat now which is more manageable in maintaining in your opinion?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT