Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Koni shocks and struts

7K views 56 replies 13 participants last post by  ab_mach1 
#1 ·
Since my Mach 1 is not my daily driver anymore, I finally got Eibach Sportline lowering springs. Right now, I am just rolling with the stock shocks and struts. I've been looking at a couple of brands and wondered about Koni's.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Blue Motor vehicle

I'll mainly be casual driving, crusing, and about 5 visits to the drag strip per year.

Has anyone tried the KONI STR.T non-adjustable struts? I would get all the same brand/model of these, AM just doesn't sell them together.

Also, how about the KONI Adjustable Shock & Strut Kit? Anybody have these on their mustang?

I know Bilsteins are great, but I'm not so sure I need the best of the best for what I'll be doing with my Mach. Any help is appreciated.

See less See more
#2 ·
I don't know anyone that have used the non-adjustable Koni's but I know several people with the adjustable Koni's and I have never heard any complaints.
It sounds like you don't need anything too fancy, for your intended use of the car, so a set of good quality non-adjustable shocks/struts will probably suffice.

#3 ·
I have Koni STR. T shocks, and Tokico HP struts and I can say I like them both. I mis matched mine due to a in stock issue at the time and I needed the struts to finish the job That's Why they aren't all the Konis. I believe they are a good product honestly. Never have heard anyone complain of those or the Tokicos HPs I have.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

#5 ·
It's a bit bouncier than stock and not as stable feeling on the highway. I got spring that were pretty close to the stock ones for the Mach 1's spring rate, but it's still needs new shocks and struts. I think it will be great when I pickup some replacements. I just need to pull the trigger now lol.

IG: @azurebluemach

#7 ·
For non adjustable... Tokico illuminas are a great budget option that works well. You can't go wrong with konis though, or bilsteins.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Mustang Evolution mobile app

#8 ·
Illuminas are adjustable.
The Tokyo HP series are non-adjustable.

I have a set of Illuminas, by the way, and I like them. My only complaint is that one of the adjusters on the shock absorber broke almost immediately. It still can be adjusted but not as easily.
My other car is going to get a set of Konis...

#9 ·
I think I might go ahead and give the Koni STR.T's. Right around $300 for the set. I'm thinking if I don't think they are up to par in performance, I can upgrade later. I think it's worth a shot and I won't be subjecting my Mach to a lot of un-dampened drive time. I hear it can be bad for tire wear too.

Is there any additional hardware or bushing, etc that I should get for the struts up front?

#14 ·
For the white one, i have boxes of parts to get on too.
Koni STR shock/strut, H&R SS, CC plates, X2 balljoints, bump steer kit.
Cant wait to finally get those gems on too.
-The green car is slammed with same parts, different makes. The lowering makes it fell safely stuck to road when making turns at any angle, any high speed. Feels safe, better.

#15 ·
I started installing the Koni SRT.T's on my Mach this weekend. I ran into a bit of a problem.

Tire Automotive tire Auto part Synthetic rubber Suspension part

Vehicle Car Automotive exterior Auto part

I got the drivers side done, but on the passenger, I had a prob. The top stud of the shock got stripped and I couldn't tighten the shock. I tried to file it flat and the first attempt after filing it, the stud snapped off lol.

Motor vehicle Auto part Gas Vehicle Wheel

I was worried that I wouldn't be able to get the shock out to replace it, so I got my wife to help while I stuck a pipe wrench down below on the shock itself.

Hand Finger Tool accessory

How do you guys normally tighten the top of the shocks? I was told by a few that they would lower the car a bit and tighten the tops and the weight would hold the shock in place. I need to try a hopefully get a replacement shock.

#18 ·
Air tools air tools air tool air tools air tools air tools

#21 ·
Latemodelresto would not give me a replacement for theater shock, so I just bought one from AM. They still have them on sale so that worked out okay.

I feel like given the amount of paint that was on the thread and the lock but that was on the Koni, it made it tough to install them the way I did. Since the tip snapped off, I really think LMR should offer a replacement, but oh well. :meh:

#22 ·
You probably lost LMR when you mentioned using a pipe wrench...

Normally, once the shock absorber is bolted to the axle, and the top is in place, with the car sitting on the ground, the pressure from the gas filled shock absorber is enough to hold the shock absorber in place while tightening it.
For cases where you can't tighten the top mount without the shock spinning, there are specialty sockets that fit the top of the shock absorber so that you can keep it from spinning while tightening the nut.

Such as these:

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

Attachments

#25 ·
The pipe wrench chewed it up a bit getting it out. I should have just waited, but I figured they would want the old one lol. I thought about punting it, but honestly, it wasn't worth all that effort. It was only $52 to buy one from AM. I guess I have a spare. :D

#26 ·
Latemodelresto was probably right not to send a replacement, but I had to try. If I just would have left the one that snapped in there and lowered the car a little, I would have been able to tighten it. Everyday is a learning day for some of us. :lol:

Here's my pipe wrench handy work lol.

Pipe

With a new shock, I won't have to worry about when it will rust or what it looks like when I'm at car shows, etc.

#28 ·
I didn't have enough money to do it all together, but I did consider the Eibach shocks and struts kit before I went with the Koni's. Initially I was dead set on Bilstein's, but I figured that the best of the best. I didn't think with what I'd be doing with her that I would need the best, so I decided on the Koni STR.T's

#30 ·
If you can get a good deal on the Konis then jump on them immediately.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Mustang Evolution mobile app

#32 ·
Got the replacement shock I bought from AM this week and put it on with no issues.

I don't have a tap and die set, so I used one of the nuts to clean some of the paint off the shock top threads.

Pipe Nozzle Tool accessory

Easy-peasey this time around.

Fender Automotive exterior Auto part Wheel Tire

I still need to do the struts. I drove her to work today and I could tell the back end was more under control on the highway. Can't wait to get the struts on.

#34 ·
I ended up buying a set of Maximum Motorsports caster camber plates from AM today. I got to thinking why am I buying strut bushings and all that for something I'll end up replacing later this year.

Got to grow a pair now and install them with the struts lol. :eek:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.