New post, old problem...bottom end blow up - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-05-2015, 08:59 PM   #1
Registered Member
New post, old problem...bottom end blow up

I posted this back in the fall happy with the results...for about 60 days. I blew up the bottom end of the GT and now is going to cost me 6k to rebuild. Apparently, the stock bottom end was too weak to handle the 310 RWHP it produced with the 3.73s. The 6k is to rebuild a bomber proof bottom end to handle up to 600 rwhp. I am struggling to invest that kinda money in a car that is old. On the other hand, its a heck of a lot of fun to drive and this would give me a motor that is brand new. I know once you get into fixing up your mustang...its almost like owning a days of boat ownership are the day you buy it and the day you sell it.

Is it worth the 6k to invest in the car? Love the car, but don't want to sink ANOTHER 6k into the car. Cost 9500 originally...sank about 8k into it with the below MODs...when is too much? I aint no Donald Trump either....

Here is the original post.

I have a 1998 GT with 36k on the odometer. I am building what I hope is a camaro killer...any year...any model...that's my story and I am sticking to it. Below is a list of my current mods ( still in the shop being completed):

3.73 gears
Trick flow twisted wedge 38cc pi heads
FRPP PI intake
Comp extreme energy stage 1cams
K&N cold air intake
Bbk long tube headers
Bbk catted h pipe
Steeda short throw shifter
Pro dyno tune
265/35 18x9 front nittos and 285/35 18x10 rear nittos

I am hoping my power is generated from the TF heads and the bump in compression. I want to stay NA as long as possible before I go the FI route. I also hope I set myself up for more power down the road with the current top end set up. I am not looking for a loud beast...just a fast one. I should have the results from the dyno tune in a few days and will update the post.

I hope the power is close to 350-375 rwhp. We will see in a few days. Any thoughts on other additions to stay NA?

mattmcg36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 09:05 PM   #2
Registered Member

Region: Other
You could sink 6 on a down payment on a coyote and you would have your 370~ RWHP. But it's still not a bad investment. Your going to flush money on any car you own and drive. That's just how it works. So if it's this one or another it seems all the same to me. You have to just decide what will make you happy

oxford5pointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 09:59 PM   #3
Region: New Jersey
The stock rotating assembly handles more than 310... Someone took you for a ride or you had a really bad tune loaded or both.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Mustang Evolution mobile app
2000 Mustang GT Steeda build #48. Bolt ons, suspension, Novi 2000.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 11:49 AM   #4
Registered Member
If you lost a stock crankshaft at 310 in ANY V8, you had other problems. if it was even rods at 310 rwhp, you probably had it detonate or something.

You should figure that **** out, becuase whatever blew up your stock crank is still going to be there beating the **** out of you $6000 crank...

BTW, a $6000 crank shaft swap?!?!? You can bring it to my house. Ill put a better crank in for $3000 and still feel guilty about over charging you.

Scratch that... Ill put in an entire forged rotating assembly and a 150 shot of nitrous for you. $3000k tops
Panther140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 02:26 PM   #5
Registered Member
Region: California
I never would have expected this, not with such a low mileage engine. The stock internals will, normally, handle the horsepower that you were at with no problems at all.

From a financial standpoint, you've already invested too much money in the car. We don't always do things because they make "financial sense" though. You are going to be the best judge of whether or not you want to continue spending money on the car.
If you were able to do an engine swap yourself, this could be done for a lot less money. But since you are having a shop do the work, I can see a rebuilt engine that is capable of handling 600 hp, and paying a shop to swap the goodies from your engine, and the removal and replacement of the engine, costing around $6000.
There are some less expensive alternatives, but in the end, it will still cost a fair "chunk of change".

So what exactly "blew up" in the bottom end? Was it a rod, or a piston that broke?
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 12:22 AM   #6
Registered Member
Go to a tech school for a year for automotive, learn how to do engine swaps yourself, and then buy an LS 53engine from a chevy, put it in, handle 800 horse just fine, and still be cheaper than paying a shop $6000 dollars.. omg

Panther140 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT