Haha this is weird but I don't think I'm imagining it - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-06-2015, 11:44 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Haha this is weird but I don't think I'm imagining it

I've noticed for awhile now if I drive my 03 gt 5spd until hot, let it sit for a bit and come back when it's still warm, crank it up, and give a good quik rev right after, she runs better. Lol yes I mean my car then for the remainder of the time I'm driving it pulls like a raped ape compared to when I was driving after initial warm up. Weird as crap. And no it's not just me. Could it be the fact that the rev kinda lets the computer know I wanna play or is it maybe something a little off somewhere and when computer resets it is doing something since it has dif startup temps and such? With 170000 on her I'm scared to rev her cold lol. No there's no problems with my car. Check out my other threads. But it Just pulls harder sometimes. I mean big difference. Crazy *** car haha anyone else experience some of this????

Sent from my iPod touch using Mustang Evolution
Calebnc302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2015, 12:08 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
A lot of times when an engine is completely warmed up, they get what is called "heat soaked". This is when all of the metal in your block is expanded as much as it will, the electronics are all as hot as they will be, and that doesn't serve you well.

As your engine bay heats up, electronics act differently.
The coils on top of your plugs actually gain an ohm or two of resistance to current flowing through them, the computer is hotter and all of the electronics in the computer are also gaining resistance to current flow (not ideal), and the coils inside of your actual fuel injectors gain resistance as the engine heats up.
Resistance means that it is harder for electricity to flow across the metal in the coil. That means there is less current, and therefeore less effectiveness of the electrical signals being given.

So when you let your car sit, the ambient temp maybe drops a little bit which means the electronics lose ohms(resistance to current flow) and that perks a few things up as far as the amount of electrical current running through the system.

Then there are also your O2 sensors, which operate best when fully warmed up, but not too hot because again, they are electric, and therefore susceptible to increased resistance to current as heat increases. And those *****es only send 1 volt through them (absolute extreme maximum) to begin with!! usually only supposed to flow .5 volts which tells your ECU that its running with prime stoichiometry

So when your car sits a bit, the O2 sensors don't completely cool off, but a lot of stuff loses resistance by going back down to regular temp. That means when you fire it back up, you are getting some O2 sensors that are still awake, in combination with an electronics system that has cooled down a few degrees as engine bay temps drop.

I think what you are experiencing could be caused by happy sensors sending a good amount of current through a happy electrical system. At first anyways. Idk what would cause it to be prolonged like that if everything is working right the first time you drive it.

Theres a million trillion things that could be happening. But electronics do NOT like heat, and guess what? You have a modern car. Everything is electric on it lol
Panther140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 12:16 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Its also important to remember that when you park your car, it actually gets hotter under the hood for a bit. There is no longer any wind flowing through things and cooling htem off. So all the heat from the inside of your block can just radiate all over everything in the engine bay. So, if my theory is right, then your car has to sit long enough for that effect to go away. It has to sit for a bit, let the heat radiate through the bay, then dissipate and THEN it should run better. IF not, idk lol. I just felt like typing a huge *** report on my theory haha
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2015, 12:39 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Dang man you wrote all kinds of good info lol I def get what your getting at! So much electronic stuff lol and thanks dude

Old 03-07-2015, 12:58 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Meh.
I think that it has to do with the "quick rev" after the start-up...

Lol.
I've actually experienced this phenomenon myself. Some days they just seem to pull harder than others. Im sure that with some science and experimentation, we could get to the bottom of this... But do we really want to know the answers to all of the questions?

Some things, we should just call "magic", and be content.
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 01:00 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calebnc302 View Post
Dang man you wrote all kinds of good info lol I def get what your getting at! So much electronic stuff lol and thanks dude

Yeah lol. typing **** like that is how I kill time when I take breaks from my engineering homework, so I am full research report mode when im on the internet usually haha
Old 03-07-2015, 01:14 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by straybullitt View Post
Meh.

I think that it has to do with the "quick rev" after the start-up...

Lol.

I've actually experienced this phenomenon myself. Some days they just seem to pull harder than others. Im sure that with some science and experimentation, we could get to the bottom of this... But do we really want to know the answers to all of the questions?

Some things, we should just call "magic", and be content.

Yea that little rev does the trick haha but your right, some things shall never be found out! Haha that's the way it is and always will be, I was looking and a lot of people experience the "pulls harder some days for no reason" problem. Just thought I'd start a thread and hear some ideas lol

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT