Popping and stalling after warm startup - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-08-2015, 08:05 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas
Popping and stalling after warm startup

Hey guys I just got finished with a 500 round trip to Kansas City and after stopping at a quick shop and turning the car back on the exhaust crackled a bit and popped on crank and then turned off. When I turn the key it immediately starts up without any problems. Only happened a couple times. Most of the time it's normal. Never had it on a cold start yet. What could this be? Have a Bama tuner, I know your guys opinions on them but any ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
GHO5T5NIPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2015, 09:17 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Scan for trouble codes.
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 09:18 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by straybullitt View Post
Scan for trouble codes.

Already did. No codes

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2015, 09:22 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Hmmm.
I think that I would load the stock tune for a while and see if the problem goes away.
Old 03-08-2015, 09:35 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Well I have had this same tune on for over a year now without any problems

Old 03-08-2015, 10:53 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
Check your fuel pressure next time that happens. It could be shutting the fuel pump off for no apparent reason. Computers are weird..

Get out of ur car and check it at the Schrader valve right after it dies. It should have over 35 PSI or around that
Panther140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 08:42 AM   #7
Site Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by GHO5T5NIPER View Post
Hey guys I just got finished with a 500 round trip to Kansas City and after stopping at a quick shop and turning the car back on the exhaust crackled a bit and popped on crank and then turned off. When I turn the key it immediately starts up without any problems. Only happened a couple times. Most of the time it's normal. Never had it on a cold start yet. What could this be? Have a Bama tuner, I know your guys opinions on them but any ideas?
Quote:
Well I have had this same tune on for over a year now without any problems

Hey GHO5T5NIPER - Sorry to hear about the trouble you're having with your car. This is definitely on the odd side and It's even more strange that you're not throwing any codes as well! When was the last time you did some routine maintenance? Simple stuff like plugs, filters? etc. If you had been running the same tune all this time without anything popping up I'm confident that there's very likely a mechanical issue going on here. Let me know if you have any questions and I'm here to help!

Alex
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
WIN A SUPERCHARGED MUSTANG & 2017 RAPTOR!
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMAlexLazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 08:59 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMAlexLazarus View Post
Hey GHO5T5NIPER - Sorry to hear about the trouble you're having with your car. This is definitely on the odd side and It's even more strange that you're not throwing any codes as well! When was the last time you did some routine maintenance? Simple stuff like plugs, filters? etc. If you had been running the same tune all this time without anything popping up I'm confident that there's very likely a mechanical issue going on here. Let me know if you have any questions and I'm here to help!

Alex

Everything is brand new. New oil 500 miles ago, use premium 91 octane gas, brand new fuel filter 1k miles ago, new motorcraft plugs. Like I said it runs perfectly fine otherwise and it really only happens 10% of the startups

---------- Post added at 07:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:58 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther140 View Post
Check your fuel pressure next time that happens. It could be shutting the fuel pump off for no apparent reason. Computers are weird..

Get out of ur car and check it at the Schrader valve right after it dies. It should have over 35 PSI or around that

Ok where exactly is this valve and how do I test it?

Old 03-09-2015, 09:55 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Everything is brand new. New oil 500 miles ago, use premium 91 octane gas, brand new fuel filter 1k miles ago, new motorcraft plugs. Like I said it runs perfectly fine otherwise and it really only happens 10% of the startups

---------- Post added at 07:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:58 AM ----------

Ok where exactly is this valve and how do I test it?

while facing the front of the car, look at your passenger side fuel rail, right above the front passenger side coil. theres a little black (usually) cap that you can unscrew. it has a shrader valve, much like a tire valve. its pressurized (supposed to be anyway) and will spray gasoline if you poke the needle in it.

as far as testing it, you need to buy or borrow a fuel pressure tester. which just plugs into that valve, and gives you a reading on the current pressure in the fuel line.
Old 03-09-2015, 10:04 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenixignition View Post
while facing the front of the car, look at your passenger side fuel rail, right above the front passenger side coil. theres a little black (usually) cap that you can unscrew. it has a shrader valve, much like a tire valve. its pressurized (supposed to be anyway) and will spray gasoline if you poke the needle in it.

as far as testing it, you need to buy or borrow a fuel pressure tester. which just plugs into that valve, and gives you a reading on the current pressure in the fuel line.

Alright I'll throw a pressure tester in the trunk for when it happens next. Thanks!

Old 03-09-2015, 10:06 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

I should add I have bassani catted X and catback. Don't know if this could be a cat problem or not

Old 03-09-2015, 10:11 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

shouldnt be. unless its either clogged or broken and dangling from your headers.

reading back on that, it sounds like your fuel line isnt holding pressure. that happened on my old car, but it had to do with a line connected to its in-tank filter. if it only happened once, could have been a fluke. moisture in the line maybe, who knows. if it keeps happening when you shut the car of, but fixes itself right after, then it has to do with losing pressure in the line. i would say maybe the fuel pump didnt prime that one time, but the line should hold its pressure without needing to prime it for a good amount of time.
Old 03-09-2015, 12:15 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
shouldnt be. unless its either clogged or broken and dangling from your headers.

reading back on that, it sounds like your fuel line isnt holding pressure. that happened on my old car, but it had to do with a line connected to its in-tank filter. if it only happened once, could have been a fluke. moisture in the line maybe, who knows. if it keeps happening when you shut the car of, but fixes itself right after, then it has to do with losing pressure in the line. i would say maybe the fuel pump didnt prime that one time, but the line should hold its pressure without needing to prime it for a good amount of time.

Hmm well I burned that tank of gas that I first noticed it on and still doig the same thing on a different stations so ruled out bad gas. I'll have to check the pressure when it happens again

Old 03-09-2015, 02:02 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Could be a million trillion things man. You have EFI. Unless you wrote the code yourself and have it memorized, there will always be mystery.

Could be O2 sensor going out. Could be MAF. Could be PATS, Fuel pump, Fuel Relay, Coils, ECU, Short Circuit somehwere. Never know for sure.

Hence: The carburetor on my car
Old 03-09-2015, 03:11 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Yes.
Without a code, to point in the right direction, you will have to do a lot of random diagnostics to find the cause.
My car has been "hot-starting" strangely, about 10% of the time, for as long as I've owned it. It doesn't pop but it seems like it struggles to start. Recently, I had a difficult time starting it on a cold-start, after it had been sitting for a couple of weeks.
I'm suspicious that the fuel pump is getting weak, and I'm pretty sure that it is the original, so I already have a new one waiting to be installed.
Old 03-09-2015, 05:39 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

could even be something like a hot fuel pump relay. try to research what happens to different things when they are hot, and go from there. ive seen relays act weird when they get hot.
Old 03-10-2015, 09:25 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Put a carb on it and an MSD CDI. Problem will be solved for cheaper and you know its not coming back. You dont actually even need the CDI. Its just nicer to tune the timing with. Your ECU will run it with a carb on if you unplug the EFI pump
Old 03-13-2015, 05:01 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Ok so I just got a code that popped up. P0340 camshaft position sensor A circuit. After researching this code a bit I a lot of people have said it could be bad alternator. My speakers whine when I have the radio on and change pitch every time I push something that uses electricity like the windows and also changes pitch with engine speed. Could this also be why my car is backfiring on startups but runs fine any other time?

Old 03-13-2015, 05:07 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

And now it also is popping and stalling (misfiring?) on startup a lot more often after seeing this code pop up.

Old 03-13-2015, 05:30 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=191636

This is exactly the problem I'm having

Old 03-13-2015, 10:09 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Im almost sure i remember reading somewhere recently, someone had a code like that for a cam sensor and it ended up being a bad diode in the alternator. Try to go get it checked at advance or autozone. they can run a test on your battery, then have the car running and check the alternator output. there should be a thread somewhere recently in the 99 04 gt section.
Old 03-14-2015, 12:46 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Im almost sure i remember reading somewhere recently, someone had a code like that for a cam sensor and it ended up being a bad diode in the alternator. Try to go get it checked at advance or autozone. they can run a test on your battery, then have the car running and check the alternator output. there should be a thread somewhere recently in the 99 04 gt section.

Well I recently checked the alternator while it was running with a multimeter and it read 14.5 volts which I think is normal? But speakers do whine and pick up engine noise so that may be it. Gonna pick up a cam sensor tomorrow and then if that doesn't work I'll look at the alternator

Old 03-14-2015, 10:16 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Yea 14 is normal.butthats just the voltage. Id try to.have one ofthose stores check it for.free when you go get a cam sensor.

Sent from my LG-D800 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 03-14-2015, 12:14 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yea 14 is normal.butthats just the voltage. Id try to.have one ofthose stores check it for.free when you go get a cam sensor.

Sent from my LG-D800 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

Alright I'll do that. Thanks for the help man. Would either the can sensor or a vac alternator cause the backfire and stall on startup? Or is that a whole different problem?

Old 03-14-2015, 02:47 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Ok so just replaced the cam sensor and it's still doing the same thing. Guess I'll go have the alternator checked

Old 03-15-2015, 10:23 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

UPDATE: For anybody with this same problem in the future, it was the alternator. I guess a bad diode can throw off the cam sensor which causes the backfire on startups. I replaced cam sensor with no luck. Had alternator checked and diodes were bad. Replaced and runs flawlessly.

Old 03-16-2015, 07:42 AM   #27
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
You can check the diodes with a multimeter yourself for anyone in the future searching this thread. Very easy to do yourself. Or just remove the alt and take it to AutoZone. Alt is so easy you can pull it in 5 minutes in the store parking lot if you only have your mustang as your driver.

Bad diodes will cause all sorts of freaky issues and the alt voltage will not give it away.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Mustang Evolution mobile app
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is online now   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT