Unsmooth clutch on startup - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-09-2015, 07:02 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas
Unsmooth clutch on startup

Hey guys what would cause the clutch to feel unsmooth on cold start and then progressively get more smooth as the car warms up? Still feels unsmooth in high rpm.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
GHO5T5NIPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2015, 07:06 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
unsmooth is a very unfamiliar word to me. can you give a better description?
Old 03-09-2015, 09:26 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
Could be kinda notched on the input shaft, and it just doesn't fall back into the notch as hard when you drive it a while. Otherwise, does it happen differently in different weather? I know that if you get moisture in the cable.. and then it gets frosty... it gets tough to deal with.

FOr how many mustangs there are in the world, im sure moisture of some sort is going to find its way into somebody's clutch cable.

Could just be a plain ol TOB problem too. Best way to know is just drive it until it gets worse and more obvious lol
Panther140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2015, 10:55 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Well. When I first start it up and put the clutch in with the motor off, clutch is perfectly smooth. Once the engine is on, the pedal just feels "grainy" or unsmooth. I don't know any other word to describe it. After awhile it gets better but still feel the same feeling when shifting in higher rpms.

So, if it's fine when the engine is off, that rules out cable, quadrant issues right?

Old 03-09-2015, 10:59 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHO5T5NIPER View Post
Well. When I first start it up and put the clutch in with the motor off, clutch is perfectly smooth. Once the engine is on, the pedal just feels "grainy" or unsmooth. I don't know any other word to describe it. After awhile it gets better but still feel the same feeling when shifting in higher rpms.

So, if it's fine when the engine is off, that rules out cable, quadrant issues right?

Yeah that rules the cable and quadrant out. Does it make any funny noises? I am thinking its either the friction plate, TOB, input shaft splines, or input shaft bearing.

Why it could be splines notched:
The clutch friction plate rides across the input shaft splines on the input shaft. The friction plate is always connected to the input shaft splines. it spins the input shaft on the tranny by pushing on those splines. So, at higher RPM, there is a lateral load shared between the friction plate splines and the input shaft splines. If there were notches or roughness on the input shaft, you would feel the plate not slide across it smoothly. That would probably be more in the drive train than pedal, but its not entirely predictable.

Why it could be friction plate:
The friction plate rides against the pressure plate and flywheel. When it is engaged, the pressure plate pushes the friction plate up against the flywheel. If its warped or cracked, the friction plate could disengage slowly or not at all. That could be a rough feeling if its still biting intermittently as you release it. Cracked parts that rotate don't do it smoothly. That would kinda get transmitted to the pedal, but probably more noticeable in the drive train behavior.

Why it could be TOB:
The TOB only spins when the clutch is disengaged (how its supposed to be anyway lol) if the bearing is warn or something is out of round, then it could make a grainy feeling when it rotates and vibrates. That would get transmitted to the pedal.

Why it could be Pressure plate:
Pressure plate is what pushes the friction plate up against the trans. If the pressure plate is warped or cracked, or even shattered (it happens, just rarely) then it wont disengage the friction plate smoothly or consistently. It will grab at lots of random times and give feedback to the TOB, which you would feel at the pedal.
Old 03-09-2015, 11:06 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther140 View Post
Yeah that rules the cable and quadrant out. Does it make any funny noises? I am thinking its either the TOB, input shaft splines, or input shaft bearing.

Sometimes when I depress the clutch the throw out bearing chirps a bit. But nothing bad at all. I figured if it was throw out bearing It would be squealing like a sow. I did notice this same feeling after getting off interstate when everything was still warm.

Clutch still seems to bite fairly well for being a stock clutch with 90k on it

Old 03-09-2015, 11:24 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Sometimes when I depress the clutch the throw out bearing chirps a bit. But nothing bad at all. I figured if it was throw out bearing It would be squealing like a sow. I did notice this same feeling after getting off interstate when everything was still warm.

Clutch still seems to bite fairly well for being a stock clutch with 90k on it

I edited my last post and made a quick write up of how certain things being broken could cause this and why.
Old 03-09-2015, 11:48 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I'm going to pull out my crystal ball again and say... THROW OUT BEARING!

It doesn't really matter though. You'll have to remove the transmission to find out the answer anyways.
If the clutch feels different than it normally does, it is giving you an early warning that you shouldn't ignore indefinitely. Start shopping for a new clutch and use only Motorcraft bearings.
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 11:51 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah, basically you are going to have to replace that stuff eventually. It doesn't make any sense to remove your whole transmission and not replace the whole clutch. Just also make sure you inspect the input shaft while you're in there.

If replacing the whole clutch doesn't fix it, then oh well. Clutch is a wear item anyways that you are due for replacing. I bet it will though.
Old 03-10-2015, 12:01 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah I would replace everything either way. Should I get all the other bearings also? Gonna go with ford racing bearings I think

Old 03-10-2015, 12:34 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yeah I would replace everything either way. Should I get all the other bearings also? Gonna go with ford racing bearings I think

For the TOB and the pilot bearing, use Motorcraft. If you can't find them from a source such as Rockauto, you will have to get them from a Ford dealership.
Ford Racing would be second best... I suppose.
Old 03-10-2015, 12:39 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Ok haha and think I would be good driving it still until I can get everything? It still drives perfectly fine just the pedal feel is what is bothersome

Old 03-10-2015, 12:46 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Like I said, you are lucky to be perceptive enough to recognize that something isn't right.
You probably caught this in the early stages, so you likely have some time to shop around and figure out what you want to do.

Just don't wait too long!
Old 03-10-2015, 09:18 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

I would just get a clutch as soon as its convenient, and then pop it in some weekend. Emphasis on examining input shaft and stuff
Old 03-10-2015, 10:43 AM   #15
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by straybullitt View Post
For the TOB and the pilot bearing, use Motorcraft. If you can't find them from a source such as Rockauto, you will have to get them from a Ford dealership.
Ford Racing would be second best... I suppose.
Actually I'd run with the McCleod TOB after OEM. FRPP TOBs are made in China last time I checked and are probably the same ppl who make the other aftermarket units.

I still say the OP should just try a clutch cable replacement with an OEM and see what happens.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 10:47 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Actually I'd run with the McCleod TOB after OEM. FRPP TOBs are made in China last time I checked and are probably the same ppl who make the other aftermarket units.

I still say the OP should just try a clutch cable replacement with an OEM and see what happens.

I do have an oem cable. But I figured since I wasn't feeling it when the car was off it wouldn't be the cable?

Old 03-10-2015, 10:52 AM   #17
Staff
Regular
Staff

Its just something to think about if the cable is original it can be frayed. Or if a person before you had the car and changed the cable to a "performance cable" like a dummy it could be a problem too. I mean I'd change it regardless because of age but that's just me.

Unless you recently did the cable with an OEM one that is.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 03-10-2015, 11:46 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

I wish there were better bearings to buy for these. I talking diamond ball bearings in sealed off races that never break. Re-use them for ever lol
Old 03-10-2015, 01:11 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther140 View Post
I wish there were better bearings to buy for these. I talking diamond ball bearings in sealed off races that never break. Re-use them for ever lol
You are studying to be an engineer aren't you?
Why don't you design, build, and market a bearing such as the one that you described?
Old 03-10-2015, 01:48 PM   #20
Staff
Regular
Staff

He might save money using Sapphires, I hear they are almost as hard as Diamonds but DeBeers doesn't have the market cornered on them.

Old 03-10-2015, 02:53 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Couldn't use diamonds or sapphires, it would wear the races to much, to quickly. And to counter the wear in the races. The races would have to be made out of something equally as hard. When you change that race to a harder material the material the bearing will be going in will suffer. The bearing will no longer have any "give" provided by the bearings and races. So that's a bad idea. Engineers have designed very good bearings. Learn to maintain a bearing and that'll keep it happy the longest.

Sent from the mothership.
Slater2111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 03:04 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
He might save money using Sapphires, I hear they are almost as hard as Diamonds but DeBeers doesn't have the market cornered on them.
I think that Sapphires would be prettier!
Old 03-10-2015, 03:05 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slater2111 View Post
Couldn't use diamonds or sapphires, it would wear the races to much, to quickly. And to counter the wear in the races. The races would have to be made out of something equally as hard. When you change that race to a harder material the material the bearing will be going in will suffer. The bearing will no longer have any "give" provided by the bearings and races. So that's a bad idea. Engineers have designed very good bearings. Learn to maintain a bearing and that'll keep it happy the longest.

Perhaps a Diamond race and Sapphire bearings?
Old 03-10-2015, 03:20 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Unsmooth clutch on startup

Diamond would eat up the sapphire. Diamond is harder by a little bit.
Also it would be incredibly expensive.

Slater2111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 03:23 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Damn it, looks like im gonna have to use cubic zirconia for this too
Old 03-10-2015, 03:24 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

It would be a lovely looking bearing though...
Old 03-10-2015, 03:26 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Hard to engineer anything cool with an attitude like that!!

---------- Post added at 03:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:25 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by straybullitt View Post
It would be a lovely looking bearing though...
she'll never know the difference
Old 03-10-2015, 06:07 PM   #28
Staff
Regular
Staff

" Diamonds, she'll pretty much have to ".

Sent from my VS985 4G using Mustang Evolution mobile app

Old 03-10-2015, 06:46 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

WHat about Forged sapphire????????

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT