Sometimes won't shift into 3rd? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-10-2015, 09:56 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Sometimes won't shift into 3rd?

So sometimes when I'm driving my 04 GT (which is a 5 speed) and I try and shift from 2nd to 3rd, it feels like the shifter is hitting a wall. It won't shift no matter what I do. If I double clutch it. Then It works fine, but it's really annoying. Any ideas what this could be?

40th Anniversary GT
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2015, 12:06 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
The first thing to try is, drain the transmission and refill it with precisely 3.2 quarts of synthetic Automatic Transmission Fluid. Mobil One is a popular brand as well as Synchromesh.
Many of the TR3650 transmissions were over-filled at the factory or during subsequent fluid changes. This causes windage during high RPM's, where too much transmission fluid is being flung around inside of the trans, and it can cause difficulty shifting.
No guarantees that this will fix your problem but it seems to be the preferred "first thing to try" as opposed to tearing the transmission apart.
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 12:13 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by SquatchMan View Post
So sometimes when I'm driving my 04 GT (which is a 5 speed) and I try and shift from 2nd to 3rd, it feels like the shifter is hitting a wall. It won't shift no matter what I do. If I double clutch it. Then It works fine, but it's really annoying. Any ideas what this could be?

40th Anniversary GT

I had the same thing happened to me a few months back for a couple days.

All I did was jam it in there.

It kept doing it.

But for me it just went away. Now occasionally it happens ok first and trying to get into reverse. Irk what it could be honestly

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
alecas447 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2015, 08:19 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by straybullitt View Post
The first thing to try is, drain the transmission and refill it with precisely 3.2 quarts of synthetic Automatic Transmission Fluid. Mobil One is a popular brand as well as Synchromesh.

Many of the TR3650 transmissions were over-filled at the factory or during subsequent fluid changes. This causes windage during high RPM's, where too much transmission fluid is being flung around inside of the trans, and it can cause difficulty shifting.

No guarantees that this will fix your problem but it seems to be the preferred "first thing to try" as opposed to tearing the transmission apart.

Yeah I've done this already

40th Anniversary GT
Old 03-11-2015, 05:20 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

I should probably also mention that I have a MGW short throw shifter.

40th Anniversary GT
Old 03-11-2015, 07:10 PM   #6
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
You don't have the stops set do you? 3650s have internal stops and should never have stops set on an aftermarket shifter. I just remove them if I have a car with a 3650.

Sadly... the first run 01-04 Tremec 3650s were problematic to the point of fully redesigned synchro assemblies and the "gorilla fork". When you get a new one with all the updated stuff... they are some of the strongest and best transmissions out there. Huge internal gears and they let you keep the nice steep 3.37 1st gear with an available deep .62 overdrive and even aftermarket gear sets good for 4 figure power.

My guess with your transmission, if it isn't something real simple like a badly adjusted clutch cable or something with the shifter is that you have a shot synchro and its rebuild time. The good news is that these transmissions aren't exactly expensive and can be swapped with a pretty basic set of tools and a lift in an afternoon.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 07:13 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
You don't have the stops set do you? 3650s have internal stops and should never have stops set on an aftermarket shifter. I just remove them if I have a car with a 3650.

Sadly... the first run 01-04 Tremec 3650s were problematic to the point of fully redesigned synchro assemblies and the "gorilla fork". When you get a new one with all the updated stuff... they are some of the strongest and best transmissions out there. Huge internal gears and they let you keep the nice steep 3.37 1st gear with an available deep .62 overdrive and even aftermarket gear sets good for 4 figure power.

My guess with your transmission, if it isn't something real simple like a badly adjusted clutch cable or something with the shifter is that you have a shot synchro and its rebuild time. The good news is that these transmissions aren't exactly expensive and can be swapped with a pretty basic set of tools and a lift in an afternoon.
No idea whether or not it has stops set. I bought the car with the short throw. But I can't afford to rebuild a transmission. I'm in college and I have no money.
Old 03-11-2015, 07:16 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Another weird thing that it does... If i shift above 3.5k it always shifts and shifts very easily. Then it usually won't do it for the duration of the drive.
Old 03-11-2015, 07:18 PM   #9
Staff
Regular
Staff

Well then I dunno what to tell you. 01-04 cars are known to have problematic transmissions. I would pull the boot and bezel off and see if the guy who did the install was a dummy and set the stops. Even if it was a trans that needed stops, its always something to check because ppl are idiots.

Could also be something simple like a non OEM clutch cable or even an OEM one that is stretched out and you aren't getting full clutch engagement when you push in the pedal.

Still sounds like a synchro though... mainly because when you double clutch you are helping the synchro out. I'd check all the simple stuff and if its still doing it and you can't afford a new trans then I would go real easy on it until you can afford to fix it or get something else.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 03-11-2015, 07:21 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

How easy is it to check and see if stops are set? I don't know what that means. Clutch is new so is t/o bearing.
Old 03-11-2015, 07:25 PM   #11
Staff
Regular
Staff

You can look at the MGW install video and scroll forward to the point where the guy sets the stops on the shifter. IIRC they even say if its a 01.5-04 car you do not set them. That should show you what I'm talking about. Basically they are actual "stops" on the shifter itself that keep you from slamming too hard into gear and boogering up something in the trans. They are there for transmissions like the T-5 and T-45 that do not have internal stops but the 3650 has them and setting the stops on the shifter can actually keep the transmission from getting fully engaged. I doubt this is happening here but its something real simple to check.

Old 03-17-2015, 01:22 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Took it to the mechanic today. Guy said my short throw shifter was causing the gears to not engage all the way. So I'm buying a stock shifter and he says that'll fix it.

40th Anniversary GT
Old 03-17-2015, 01:24 PM   #13
Staff
Regular
Staff

Like I said, the stops might have been set improperly which is what would cause that. Unless you have some crap shifter in there. If all it was is a stop reset and the guy didn't want to set them properly then he's a **** mechanic.

Old 03-17-2015, 01:47 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

It's prolly a crap shifter. I didn't put it in. The guy who looked at it was a mustang guy.

40th Anniversary GT
Old 03-17-2015, 02:11 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Guy also told me short throws aren't good for the transmission.

40th Anniversary GT
Old 03-17-2015, 04:10 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Sometimes won't shift into 3rd?

Quote:
Like I said, the stops might have been set improperly which is what would cause that. Unless you have some crap shifter in there. If all it was is a stop reset and the guy didn't want to set them properly then he's a **** mechanic.

Just watched the MGW video. the t3650 shifters don't come with the capability to set stops. The stops are internal. So I guess I'll just have to resort back to a stock shifter.

40th Anniversary GT
Old 03-19-2015, 06:28 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:

40th Anniversary GT
not saying your wrong, but i heard the opposite. Ive been trying to find evidence of either side, but considering a lot of people who know transmissions use them, im leaning toward them being just fine as long as you know HOW to shift.
Old 03-19-2015, 01:41 PM   #18
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:

40th Anniversary GT
Find another mechanic.

Old 03-19-2015, 02:26 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Its sounds like a bad sincro on your 3rd gear I had same issue with my 3rd gear if you try putting it in gear slowly a it works but if you try to shift quick it will feel like your miss shifting. I ended up replacing my tranny since it was cheaper then to fix it.

Sent from my SGH-T999L using Mustang Evolution mobile app
509pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 02:54 PM   #20
Staff
Regular
Staff

3650s are $1060 shipped anywhere in the lower 48 fully rebuilt. Replacing one is an afternoon with a lift and a decent set of tools.

Old 03-28-2015, 09:36 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Problem solved. Got rid of the MGW and put in a stock shifter. Took care of the issue.

40th Anniversary GT
Old 03-28-2015, 05:38 PM   #22
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Problem solved. Got rid of the MGW and put in a stock shifter. Took care of the issue.

40th Anniversary GT
No, it band aided the issue. This means that your synchro is definitely on the way out. The reason the trans stopped grinding is because the stock throw length slowed your shifts down enough for the failing syncho to "keep up" with the slower shifts.

It could start grinding again soon, it might last awhile but you are looking at rebuild in the near-somewhat near future if you plan on keeping the car. A good trans will not have those issues with a short throw, especially the MGW. If you do plan on keeping it, keep the MGW for when you get a fresh trans.

Old 03-28-2015, 05:49 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
No, it band aided the issue. This means that your synchro is definitely on the way out. The reason the trans stopped grinding is because the stock throw length slowed your shifts down enough for the failing syncho to "keep up" with the slower shifts.

It could start grinding again soon, it might last awhile but you are looking at rebuild in the near-somewhat near future if you plan on keeping the car. A good trans will not have those issues with a short throw, especially the MGW. If you do plan on keeping it, keep the MGW for when you get a fresh trans.

It never grinded. It just wouldn't go into 3rd every once and a while.

40th Anniversary GT
Old 03-28-2015, 05:52 PM   #24
Staff
Regular
Staff

Same issue, syncrho is locking you out. But if you like it now I'd just drive it as is until you start having issues again. Stock shifter tho... bleh...

Old 03-28-2015, 05:56 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Same issue, syncrho is locking you out. But if you like it now I'd just drive it as is until you start having issues again. Stock shifter tho... bleh...

Call me crazy, but I personally like the stock one better. After using that MGW racing short throw, I like the "freedom", I guess you could say, that the stock one provides.

40th Anniversary GT

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT