Is this a good deal? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-12-2015, 06:38 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Is this a good deal?

Posted: 8 days ago
Ford Mustang GT Deluxe FAST NEED GONE - $5000

NEED CAR GONE!!! Originally was selling for 9000 but I need the money!!!

It has 500Hp
The motor is a 5.4L. (330ci)
It's been bored & stroked so it is now a 337
It's got a comp cam
ARP Head Studs
Hooker Headers
GT500 Fuel Rails
30lbs Injectors
Oversized Radiator
Ford 8.8 Rear end with 4:10 gears
Detroit Locker
Tuned
$5000 CASH GETS IT ... Kyle: show contact info CALL OR TEXT
It has a tubed front end
Leather interior
Stage 6 clutch & throw out bearing
Mach audio system.
I have about 13k in the motor alone, I drive it to work and back, get about 15mpg with the race tune, can be tuned for fuel economy though....

Im new to GTs and with engine swapped cars in general. Is there anything to be on the lookout for? He said the interior was just a little worn from getting out, which a lot of them are, and he said there were a good bit of scratches. But for that price I'm willing to get a paint job. Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1426160142937.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	24.2 KB
ID:	177226   Click image for larger version

Name:	1426160155554.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	23.7 KB
ID:	177227  

Click image for larger version

Name:	1426160263089.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	14.6 KB
ID:	177228   Click image for larger version

Name:	1426160278455.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	27.4 KB
ID:	177229  

bkh1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2015, 06:54 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
if your looking to have all that work already done for you, assuming that it runs great and hasnt been giving the previous owner any issues, thats a great deal. i bought mine almost stock for 5k, its a 2002, 129k on the original motor bought it 2 years ago.

but if you are new to cars and mechanical stuff, this can be tricky. everything is modified, and modified by someone that isnt you. so its a bit tougher to start working on since its not stock.

also 500 hp and a stage 6 clutch is gonna be a beast. as long as it isnt about to explode, its track ready.

i usually see stuff like this with an asking price of 8 to 12 grand, but they probably dont sell easily, and they also think that just because they put thousands of extra dollars in it means that they will make all that money back by selling it.

all in all, i know you said you are new to gt's and engine swaps, so im going to assume you arent all that new to cars. but still, be careful, and dont just buy this and get yourself killed in a car thats too squirrelly for you to handle. give it a test drive to make sure it doesnt feel like its gonna break.
Old 03-12-2015, 07:02 AM   #3
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
If this is a weekend car for the track and you have a second car to dd then I'd def take a look. If you are thinking you are going to dd it and you are new to these cars then definitely no.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Mustang Evolution mobile app
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2015, 01:48 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
if you want that to be a daily driver, it will ruin your life.

if you want a huge money pit to only drive twice a month and go mediocrely fast, its perfect.
Panther140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 02:16 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah I'm experienced with cars just not with those two. Why do you guys say not for a daily driver? The 4.10s in a manual?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 03-12-2015, 02:19 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkh1994 View Post
Yeah I'm experienced with cars just not with those two. Why do you guys say not for a daily driver? The 4.10s in a manual?

Nah, 5 speed can handle 4.10s just fine. Better than the autos can, for sure at cruising speed.

not for daily driver, because that thing has been thoroughly molested. Engine swaps like that that you buy on craigslist are 100% rigged the F up and beat like a red headed stepchild. the little issues never go away, which is why hes selling it. Not reliable enough for a DD. You can be familiar with cars all you want, but you cant bring a fulll tool set and a spare part for everything with you everywhere you go lol. You're gonna get stranded in any kind of car like that.

Maybe for driving 5-10 miles to work is fine. But if you have any real amount of driving to do, i would avoid relying on that home made car.
Old 03-12-2015, 02:28 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Stage 6 clutch with a locker rear end.... and he didnt mention a beefed up transmission? red flag right there. that car probably is pulling front wheels off and putting 500 hp through a T-45. ****s probably shredded right there. Project car status
Old 03-12-2015, 02:35 PM   #8
Staff
Regular
Staff

Not as a DD because its going to be a nightmare to get sorted and you have no idea how much "yahoo" stuff was done to it. Even with receipts... I'd only look at this as a potential weekend drag/fun car.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 03-12-2015, 02:41 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Oh okay, I get what y'all are saying. So would I be better off looking at supercharged ones for more reliability?

Old 03-12-2015, 04:52 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkh1994 View Post
Oh okay, I get what y'all are saying. So would I be better off looking at supercharged ones for more reliability?

You would be better off buying a bone stock one from some older guy who had a mid life crisis and only put 60k miles on. THen mod it yourself.

Buying a modded car is like marrying a prostitute/stripper with daddy issues who thinks open relationships are cool, but doesn't tell you about it. Only a matter of time before theres a knife in your back.

Modding a mint condish car is like snagging a freaky virgin babe who has a cool personality and a good head on her shoulders. Hardly gets any better than that.. that setup should last ya about 10 years righ there.
Old 03-12-2015, 06:17 PM   #11
Staff
Regular
Staff

What I look for is something owned by an enthusiast from one of the forums I belong to where I can go back sometimes 5+ years and see what they've been doing with the car, how its being treated etc... You can get something modded and be totally fine, but you have to know these cars, know what is a good mod and what is not, know which brands are the best etc...

I'd pay more for a car that was modded well with good quality parts by someone who has had these cars for years than something that is Raxiom/SR everything and the guy had "his boy" install them all.

I also would not look for a supercharged car unless you KNOW how it was installed, know it was not beaten to **** and I would for damn sure not buy one from a dealer lot that came like that.

In the end, you are safest buying something for like $6-$8k with under 100k miles and stone stock. Autos are usually a safer bet than sticks for wear and tear... provided the previous owner actually serviced the trans on schedule.

Old 03-13-2015, 09:53 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Everyone here knows what they're talking about. I bought my car bone stock and did everything to it and I would never buy a car that has as much work as mine. It has it's unique issues and glitches that only I know about and I'm used to them. That car you're looking at will have it's own unique issues that will take you a long time to figure out and the seller won't tell you about all of them. You can't rely on it as a DD but it could be an awesome weekend warrior
Old 03-13-2015, 10:01 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
something that is Raxiom/SR everything

Lol what's wrong with either of those?

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Old 03-13-2015, 10:03 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

I'm with everyone on the fact that you should look for a low mileage near stock car. I bought my 03 w/ 80k miles for $6700. Also dont let SR performance parts scare you away lol. Clearly I would never buy SR "pistons and rods" if they were available but nothing wrong with a CAI and Lowering springs by them

Old 03-13-2015, 10:05 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHJA614 View Post
Lol what's wrong with either of those?

generally speaking, if you look at 2 mustangs, one with SR everything, vs another one that has like, Trick flow intake, steeda parts, and other top tier kind of bolt ons, then the assumption would be that the first is only given the cheapest of parts, and probably treated as such by someone less knowledgable. the assumption on the second one is that someone knowledgable took care of the vehicle. there are exceptions of course. a poor guy buying what he can get on a budget and taking absolute care of his mustang vs a rich a-hole that swipes dads credit card to buy all the expensive stuff and nearly blows the engine frequently.

EDIT: Oh, and the fact that scotty said that, kinda hints to me that he's seen plenty of people buy a mustang, buy the cheapest parts, and think they have a decked out 400rwhp 4.6 2v.
Old 03-13-2015, 10:16 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

I'm in high school so SR performance is pretty much the only way with me. Ive been nothing but satisfied since (granted it hasn't been long).

---------- Post added at 09:16 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:16 AM ----------

I also take care of my car better than the majority of people

Old 03-13-2015, 10:20 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

thats good to hear. keep it up. i used to have a hyundai elantra that i took care of better than some people do with a bmw or mercedes. But again, he was goin for a more particular demographic, not just SR buyers in general.
Old 03-13-2015, 10:58 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

And I understand that. I just wouldnt count a car out due to some SR parts

Old 03-13-2015, 01:42 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Mine came with a JDM steering wheel.

Its been the worst car ever lol.

Case in point!!
Old 03-13-2015, 03:27 PM   #20
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenixignition View Post
generally speaking, if you look at 2 mustangs, one with SR everything, vs another one that has like, Trick flow intake, steeda parts, and other top tier kind of bolt ons, then the assumption would be that the first is only given the cheapest of parts, and probably treated as such by someone less knowledgable. the assumption on the second one is that someone knowledgable took care of the vehicle. there are exceptions of course. a poor guy buying what he can get on a budget and taking absolute care of his mustang vs a rich a-hole that swipes dads credit card to buy all the expensive stuff and nearly blows the engine frequently.

EDIT: Oh, and the fact that scotty said that, kinda hints to me that he's seen plenty of people buy a mustang, buy the cheapest parts, and think they have a decked out 400rwhp 4.6 2v.
That's any car, the ricers are worse but yeah, all SR stuff it points to someone who just bought whatever was cheapest and threw it on without giving much thought to safety/longevity/quality. As was said, this is a general first impression but normally is true. It was actually way worse before AM came along because while SR isn't the best, its way better than the ebay trash that ppl would bolt onto their cars back in the day. ...Shudder...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHJA614 View Post
I'm in high school so SR performance is pretty much the only way with me. Ive been nothing but satisfied since (granted it hasn't been long).

---------- Post added at 09:16 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:16 AM ----------

I also take care of my car better than the majority of people

Honestly there are only a few SR products I'd consider these days. Actually really only the springs. Everything else... eh... its not much more to buy a better part and some of the stuff is just downright not safe like their CC plates. THAT is one item you do NOT want failing and even though I have not heard of one failing, there are a ton of reports of them making a lot of noise and that means they are not well built and its only a matter of time quite honestly...

Old 03-13-2015, 04:12 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
The two days I drove my mustang with SR CC plates I felt like it was a death trap and my whole car was going to fall apart. Granted the set I had clearly had a defect but after researching them some even without the defect they weren't all that good, and eventually would have an issue. I got a set of MM CC plates and it was night and day, even the rep from AM said they were very problematic and didn't think twice about crediting me with a return and letting me upgrade to the MM ones before the SR ones were even taken off of my car. I had a SR black CAI, it fell apart and looked like crap out of the box, this I didn't return as I had it on for a couple of months, then I put the stock one back on. The SR springs on the other hand people have had very good luck with those, and if you research them you won't find much bad with them, I would buy and install those for sure. As for my results with a couple bad SR products go, and pretty simple parts at that, I wouldn't buy anything but the springs made by them if it was a car I cared about much if at all. I have known two people I work closely with that have bought and used, and taken back off the raxiom projector headlights due to them being terrible and terrible quality. I'm sure there are some people out there that have good luck with SR and raxiom stuff but I haven't first hand at all.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Follow on Instagram @steviesstangs
15% off waxgods.com use code: manic15
10% off toplabel.com use code: Manic10
Steve96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 04:47 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

I understand your reasons for saying not to buy it (or any built car really). But if I were to get a stock GT it would never be supercharged or get engine swapped or probably even gears because that's too expensive. The built ones that I am finding are not much more than a stock one that's why I was considering it. That being said, I will probably keep my eye out for a stock one. If I happen upon a supercharged one I may risk it though
Old 03-13-2015, 06:42 PM   #23
Staff
Regular
Staff

Agreed that Raxiom is not the best quality. If you are looking at non-OEM headlights I've found stuff made by DEPO is much much better than anything by Raxiom or just get a used set of OEMs and restore those. You can bake anything open and clean/polish/restore it or just buy new.

Like the ppl running around with Raxiom headlights in SN95/NE cars... sorry you look like something out of FaTF circa 2001...

Old 03-13-2015, 10:05 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Agreed that Raxiom is not the best quality. If you are looking at non-OEM headlights I've found stuff made by DEPO is much much better than anything by Raxiom or just get a used set of OEMs and restore those. You can bake anything open and clean/polish/restore it or just buy new.

Like the ppl running around with Raxiom headlights in SN95/NE cars... sorry you look like something out of FaTF circa 2001...
My car had Raxiom head lights with the halos when i bought it. I had already planned on finding stock ones at a junkyard, but i was lucky enough to find the stock ones sitting in the trunk. I did give the raxioms a shot, but driving on a rainy night was scary with those little h7 bulbs. no much light output at all, and they fogged up on the inside. swapped to the stocks with some upgraded silverstar bulbs, and the brightness and light coverage was comparable to my old hyundai's aftermarket HID bulbs. I honestly like the look of the stock gt headlights, and the light they give off is great.
Old 03-13-2015, 10:44 PM   #25
Staff
Regular
Staff

Sylvania Silverstars are not an upgrade... they actually put out less light than the OEM bulb. The blue film on them reduces overall lumen output but it does make the light white which gives the illusion of brightness.

94-98 cars... get the DEPO projectors and run 9011/9012 bulbs... you will be brighter than most aftermarket HID kits and pretty much on par with OEM. 99-up... OEM smoked housings and run Philips Xtreme Power/Xtreme Vision bulbs or do an OEM retrofit with Morimoto stuff.

#THREAD as far as lighting.

With that said... OEM lights are plenty bright, you don't need to spend $hundreds for a serviceable set of headlights. If you do drop $500+ on headlights... that could have gone to making your car faster.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT