Used parts worth - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-12-2015, 01:09 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Used parts worth

So I was on Craigslist just looking for parts .

Guy is selling mac 80 mm and cl plenum and throttle body.
Is this worth $200?

Edit: throttle body is 75 mm if that makes any difference

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
alecas447 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2015, 04:10 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Used parts worth

Id offer him $150 start there. 200 isn't bad. Is that Mac 80mm a MAF sensor or a CAI? The C&L plenum and TB is a ok deal for cheaper than that.

Sent from the mothership.
Slater2111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 04:16 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slater2111 View Post
Id offer him $150 start there. 200 isn't bad. Is that Mac 80mm a MAF sensor or a CAI? The C&L plenum and TB is a ok deal for cheaper than that.

It is the full intake and it has the housing built in to it. Negotiated Price for it all $170

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2015, 04:18 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

I think you might need a tune with that new MAF. But that's a good price.

Old 03-12-2015, 04:24 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I think you might need a tune with that new MAF. But that's a good price.

It's just the housing tho?

Old 03-12-2015, 07:02 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Also are the parts actually worth it, for power?

Old 03-12-2015, 07:14 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Plenum and TB will give you a slight bump. With a tuner it'll bump a little more. I have the same plenum and TB. I felt an immediate difference.

Old 03-12-2015, 07:19 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Plenum and TB will give you a slight bump. With a tuner it'll bump a little more. I have the same plenum and TB. I felt an immediate difference.

So no tune for just the actual housing for the maf sensor?

Old 03-12-2015, 07:35 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

I am not 100% sure. I didn't bother with anything MAF related on my car because I was told by Scotty on here I didn't need it until FI was involved.

Old 03-12-2015, 07:53 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I am not 100% sure. I didn't bother with anything MAF related on my car because I was told by Scotty on here I didn't need it until FI was involved.

Yea I don't plan on getting a tuner any time soon. I might as well not even get it if it's just going to give me problems.

Old 03-13-2015, 06:04 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

I have a CL plenum and intake pipe, and a different brand 75mm tb, and i believe a mac 80mm maf housing. i pulled out the maf housing recently for the stock. didnt notice a change. but it does make it possible to fit the larger cone filters. I think i found the owners sheet for the maf housing at some point, and they mentioned not to use it with a cold air intake, because the curve in the pipe before the maf sensor will throw off readings. never tested it, always had ram intake.
Old 03-13-2015, 10:56 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenixignition View Post
I have a CL plenum and intake pipe, and a different brand 75mm tb, and i believe a mac 80mm maf housing. i pulled out the maf housing recently for the stock. didnt notice a change. but it does make it possible to fit the larger cone filters. I think i found the owners sheet for the maf housing at some point, and they mentioned not to use it with a cold air intake, because the curve in the pipe before the maf sensor will throw off readings. never tested it, always had ram intake.

Damn. So should I just get the throttle body and plenum? Save me the trouble?

Never planned on the doing anything for a while. But that what happens when you find good deals, get the modding bug.

Old 03-13-2015, 11:02 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

I havent fully decided if i like the maf housing or not. its been off for a while. but without a tune especially, i dont feel comfortable messing with the maf. the stock maf housing is already pretty big, so it wasnt really a stranglehold either. the plenum is supposed to be pretty good. ive never tried the stock one, although i still have it at home. the throttle body is a BBK on mine, 75mm. Looking at the stock and the 75mm side by side, it is quite a difference in the overall opening of the valve. But i imagine any difference will be found in WOT. but i have seen enough info on the plenum to know that thats worth replacing. the stock is apparently from the nonpi heads, and was never updated on the PI heads, so i guess it does cut off the air flow.
Old 03-13-2015, 12:45 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I havent fully decided if i like the maf housing or not. its been off for a while. but without a tune especially, i dont feel comfortable messing with the maf. the stock maf housing is already pretty big, so it wasnt really a stranglehold either. the plenum is supposed to be pretty good. ive never tried the stock one, although i still have it at home. the throttle body is a BBK on mine, 75mm. Looking at the stock and the 75mm side by side, it is quite a difference in the overall opening of the valve. But i imagine any difference will be found in WOT. but i have seen enough info on the plenum to know that thats worth replacing. the stock is apparently from the nonpi heads, and was never updated on the PI heads, so i guess it does cut off the air flow.

Thanks for the info bro!

Another questions I have high flow cats and the car is running rich and I still have the cel.

Is there any way I can fix this?

Old 03-13-2015, 10:18 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

what midpipe do you have? i have a steeda (magnaflow) x pipe with high flow cats, and mines not rich. my 02 sensors are probably from 2002 (still say ford, but could be replaced at a ford dealership, who knows) but its possible that your upper sensors may have gone bad and send a bad signal? the cats would affect a reading from the rear sensors. i forgot what code comes up if you go catless. if it registers as rich or "catalyst system efficiency" code.
Old 03-13-2015, 11:34 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Used parts worth

Quote:
what midpipe do you have? i have a steeda (magnaflow) x pipe with high flow cats, and mines not rich. my 02 sensors are probably from 2002 (still say ford, but could be replaced at a ford dealership, who knows) but its possible that your upper sensors may have gone bad and send a bad signal? the cats would affect a reading from the rear sensors. i forgot what code comes up if you go catless. if it registers as rich or "catalyst system efficiency" code.

Magnaflow x pipe with high flow cats

The sensors are in good condition

Old 03-15-2015, 10:42 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Get a diagnostic tester and see what the cel code is, go from there.
Old 03-15-2015, 01:00 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitMuscle99 View Post
Get a diagnostic tester and see what the cel code is, go from there.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1426442393.293473.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	289.6 KB
ID:	177480

Old 03-15-2015, 02:22 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

That's the only code the car has

Old 03-16-2015, 03:18 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

its possible that it is just a bad 02 sensor in bank 2. doesnt say anything about bank 1? I believe bank 2 is passenger side, but you will want to check on that.

also, if anyone who knows checks this thread, when you disable the rear sensors in a tune, is it true that you still have a trouble code come up, but the check engine light wont light up for it? someone told me that before.
Im pretty sure i have the same mid pipe as you, magnaflow catted xpipe, but i doubt my car was ever tuned, and i dont have any hidden error codes.
Old 03-16-2015, 03:24 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

When you disable it in a tune the ecm no longer looks for them to be working. As the ECM has it written in its tune that they are in place and working fine. Not the same as not showing you the CEL for it.

Old 03-16-2015, 03:36 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Also, alecas, the maf housing i have says c&l. I just put it back in today. Still in the relearning mode for the computer tho, so ill update you again if i feel any difference. But i doubt it. If you install one tho, keep an eye on the wires routed below the maf housing. I noticed mine got stripped where the c&l housing dug into them. I just patched em up as soon as i noticed them. Not sure what they go to.

Sent from my LG-D800 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 03-16-2015, 04:55 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Also, alecas, the maf housing i have says c&l. I just put it back in today. Still in the relearning mode for the computer tho, so ill update you again if i feel any difference. But i doubt it. If you install one tho, keep an eye on the wires routed below the maf housing. I noticed mine got stripped where the c&l housing dug into them. I just patched em up as soon as i noticed them. Not sure what they go to.

Yea same mid pipe. Although mine isn't tuned either. The thing is I got the light right when I installed the mid pipe. Pretty coincidental. Either way if it is a bad sensor what can happen to the car and ecu?

Old 03-16-2015, 07:38 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Bad gas mileage, and wont pass emissions. But we floridians dont need to concern ourselves with the environment. Afterall, the epa in florida recently banned words like global warming, tide change, etc etc. I wish i was kidding.

---------- Post added at 07:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:38 PM ----------

But if you got the light right after installation, you may have damaged one, or caused a damaged one to finally give out.

Old 03-16-2015, 07:46 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Damn. Someone told me about it running rich can ruin cylinder seals or something?

Old 03-16-2015, 07:48 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Lean will. Too much air will lead to more heat and blown heads. Among other damage. Rich will just waste you gas money and leave a bunch of black dust above the tail pipes.

Old 03-16-2015, 07:51 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Lean will. Too much air will lead to more heat and blown heads. Among other damage. Rich will just waste you gas money and leave a bunch of black dust above the tail pipes.

Ahh I see is replacing one that sensor a simple for oneself?

Old 03-16-2015, 07:56 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by alecas447 View Post
Ahh I see is replacing one that sensor a simple for oneself?

Im assuming you are asking if replacing an 02 sensor is simple, yes. Just unscrew it fron the pipe and unplug it from the harness. Then screw the new one in and plug its wire in. There are sockets meant for installing these, but i stripped out the hex nut part of the sensor using them. I still have one old sensor in my upper pre cat spot. Those usually control your air fuel ratio, so be careful what you switch. If your code says running rich in bank 2, then its possible that the upper sensor is giving bad readings to the ecu. But if it says catalyst below efficiency, i think its the post cat sensor.

Old 03-16-2015, 07:57 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

But the p2272 sounds pretty set on bank 2 sensor 2 (post cat passenger side) being an issue, as it is "stuck lean" but i havent dealt with this particular code before.

Old 03-16-2015, 08:01 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
But the p2272 sounds pretty set on bank 2 sensor 2 (post cat passenger side) being an issue, as it is "stuck lean" but i havent dealt with this particular code before.

Yea but would a post cat sensor make the car run rich?

Old 03-16-2015, 08:07 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Shouldnt. They more or less detect if the cat is making a difference in 02 levels before and after the cats. Which is why im confused. But btw, did you reset your ecu by pulling the negative battery cable after changing exhaust?

Old 03-16-2015, 08:11 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Used parts worth

Quote:
Shouldnt. They more or less detect if the cat is making a difference in 02 levels before and after the cats. Which is why im confused. But btw, did you reset your ecu by pulling the negative battery cable after changing exhaust?

---------- Post added at 08:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:10 PM ----------

Quote:
I didn't do it a shop did. And no from what I remember he didn't remove it.

Old 03-16-2015, 08:12 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution[COLOR="Silver"]

---------- Post added at 08:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:10 PM ----------

I didn't do it a shop did. And no from what I remember he didn't remove it.

Old 03-16-2015, 08:17 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Other sites and forums are leading to p2272 being a dying rear drivers side 02 sensor. Apparently the voltage gets too low and thats what comes up. When the shop removed the sensor, it probably was seized in there and was tough to remove, and maybe took a beating leading to its (not so early) demise. The rears are very easy to change. Id just get a ntk downstream sensor and swap it. Also make sure your sensors are ntk. (Same makers of ngk, who made the original equipment 02 sensors for ford.)

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 03-16-2015, 08:21 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Other sites and forums are leading to p2272 being a dying rear drivers side 02 sensor. Apparently the voltage gets too low and thats what comes up. When the shop removed the sensor, it probably was seized in there and was tough to remove, and maybe took a beating leading to its (not so early) demise. The rears are very easy to change. Id just get a ntk downstream sensor and swap it. Also make sure your sensors are ntk. (Same makers of ngk, who made the original equipment 02 sensors for ford.)

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

My bad. Phone is glitching. Mostly likely had to beat it yea. So it's not an early demise?

Also I still don't see how that would cause the car to run rich.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT