Next mod - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-17-2015, 04:01 PM   #36
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangz View Post
I thought you said you were leaving this forum
I did but I missed you so I came back. Whats ur phone # girl?
Panther140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2015, 08:52 PM   #37
Registered Member
Regular

How much performance gains will this be? Plenum/tb?

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
joe_117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 09:09 PM   #38
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
5-8 at most. With a tune now you're talking 10

Sent from the mothership.
Slater2111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2015, 10:22 PM   #39
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slater2111 View Post
5-8 at most. With a tune now you're talking 10

And your saying this will help my car out a lot?

Old 03-17-2015, 10:26 PM   #40
Registered Member
Regular

A tune will. And it'll help your engine realize that it's breathing better with the plenum and TB.

Old 03-17-2015, 10:31 PM   #41
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
A tune will. And it'll help your engine realize that it's breathing better with the plenum and TB.

True. After all the comments tho. Gears seem to be a major factor. 3.73 or 4:10 is the two options. But I heard 4:10 on a 5 speed is over kill.

Old 03-17-2015, 10:39 PM   #42
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_117 View Post
And your saying this will help my car out a lot?

For you to notice a difference in power, it needs to gain about 10%. SO 10 hp is like 3.5% power gain. Probably wont even show up on a stop watch
Old 03-17-2015, 11:04 PM   #43
Registered Member
Regular

Panther go tune you carb fuel injection MSD. We're talking about running, working cars.

I have an auto and did 3.73. I do a lot of highway and city miles. So I wanted to keep the rpm down a little. 3.73 for a manual isn't bad at all. And don't listen to Panther. You will feel a tune. For sure. Hands down.

Old 03-17-2015, 11:12 PM   #44
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Panther go tune you carb fuel injection MSD. We're talking about running, working cars.

I have an auto and did 3.73. I do a lot of highway and city miles. So I wanted to keep the rpm down a little. 3.73 for a manual isn't bad at all. And don't listen to Panther. You will feel a tune. For sure. Hands down.

Are gears hard to install? Price range for someone to install? And I'm defiantly getting a tune. It's worth it.

Old 03-17-2015, 11:13 PM   #45
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Placebo affect is the only thing you're gonna feel from a tune.
How much did ur 0-60 improve when u tuned your bone stock naturally aspirated car?? lol

Oh yeah.. and my car does run and work. The TOB is just out of it which happens to all mustangs eventually. And maybe I will go tune my carb, because you can actually *****g do that whenever you want all by yourself.

Why don't you go download your $500 dollar snake oil ****. We're talking about actually gaining power
Old 03-17-2015, 11:14 PM   #46
Registered Member
Regular

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1426652072.216475.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	243.5 KB
ID:	177769

This is all I need correct??

Old 03-17-2015, 11:15 PM   #47
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Are gears hard to install? Price range for someone to install? And I'm defiantly getting a tune. It's worth it.

Tuning your stock naturally aspirated car is worth it? Why don't you go look up some dynos. They literally gain 7 horsepower with a tune and it costs how much??? lmao. Don't listen to slater. He got tricked into it and doesn't want to admit that tuning a stock car doesn't do **** unless its turboed. Shift points might change if you have an auto, but that's it..

Gears are not hard to install at all. Price can vary so much
Old 03-17-2015, 11:19 PM   #48
Registered Member
Regular

It says the rebuild kit can be included, etc. leave that alone?

And dude I'm not gonna be able to install this. My family runs a shop, he does all the repairs if I need them. I'm sure he can put gears in them. Just don't know how much

Old 03-17-2015, 11:21 PM   #49
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther140 View Post
Tuning your stock naturally aspirated car is worth it? Why don't you go look up some dynos. They literally gain 7 horsepower with a tune and it costs how much??? lmao. Don't listen to slater. He got tricked into it and doesn't want to admit that tuning a stock car doesn't do **** unless its turboed. Shift points might change if you have an auto, but that's it..

They gain more than 7 horsepower. More like 20-30, and about 20 torque. The coyote anyways.
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
mustangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 11:23 PM   #50
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
They gain more than 7 horsepower. More like 20-30, and about 20 torque. The coyote anyways.

I will say coyote engines have better performance gains than a 2 valve. Tremendous

Old 03-17-2015, 11:23 PM   #51
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
True. After all the comments tho. Gears seem to be a major factor. 3.73 or 4:10 is the two options. But I heard 4:10 on a 5 speed is over kill.

A 5 speed is the only trans in these cars that can handle 4:10s

Autos will **** themselves if you try to take it on the interstate with 4:10s.

5th gear in your manual is a much taller gear than 4th gear in an auto.

The only thing is, you're gonna be shifting a lot more
Old 03-17-2015, 11:23 PM   #52
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I will say coyote engines have better performance gains than a 2 valve. Tremendous

Yeah... 4.6 2v's are a slow joke of a V8 engine.
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
Old 03-17-2015, 11:25 PM   #53
Registered Member
Regular

Sure Panther. Whatever you say.

Get the gears and buy the install kit should come with all the needed bearings,shims, gear oil, ford friction modifier, new bolt that holds the cross pin in, pinion nut, gasket, possibly bolts and the marking compound. It's not difficult per say to install them. But it sure does help to know what to measure, where to measure it and what the specs on things should be. If you don't feel up to the task, don't risk it and do it yourself.

Old 03-17-2015, 11:26 PM   #54
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Go look up a dyno comparison for the 4.6 stock vs tuned...

It aint ****, and you have to run 93 just to do it? YAYYYY HOW AMAZING I GOT 7 MORE HP AND NOW I HAVE TO RUN PREMIUM OR I DETONATE ****!!!! YAYYY!!!!
Old 03-17-2015, 11:29 PM   #55
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yeah... 4.6 2v's are a slow joke of a V8 engine.
Oh you mean an engine designed in 1992 isn't as good as a coyote? Wow how pathetic!! Shame on everybody who has a 4.6 2v. Why didn't you make ur dad get you a coyote?? losers
Old 03-17-2015, 11:29 PM   #56
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

It aint ****, and you have to run 93 just to do it? YAYYYY HOW AMAZING I GOT 7 MORE HP AND NOW I HAVE TO RUN PREMIUM OR I DETONATE ****!!!! YAYYY!!!!
Read the last part of the post, and really, who isn't going to use premium in a GT anyways.
Old 03-17-2015, 11:31 PM   #57
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Oh you mean an engine designed in 1992 isn't as good as a coyote? Wow how pathetic!! Shame on everybody who has a 4.6 2v. Why didn't you make ur dad get you a coyote?? losers
Someone is butthurt. Just telling it how it is. Ford got its *** handed to them during that time.

Did I compare it to the Coyote? No, I didn't.
Old 03-17-2015, 11:33 PM   #58
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Sure Panther. Whatever you say.

Its not me saying it. Its they dynos and the clocks. Tuning a 4.6 is bull ****. They don't have VVT or a turbo or supercharger so tuning is gonna be minimal as **** on a stock one. Especially a manual where you cant even adjust shift points. Literally, the only thing you could do is change timing and maybe slightly tweak the afrs. doesn't add up to much, especially for how much they cost lol. You got taken
Old 03-17-2015, 11:41 PM   #59
Registered Member
Regular

4.6 are low hp v8. True, but I just want mine up to 320hp around there. I wanna see if I can beat a 3 valve.

Old 03-17-2015, 11:43 PM   #60
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Someone is butthurt. Just telling it how it is. Ford got its *** handed to them during that time.

Did I compare it to the Coyote? No, I didn't.
Yeah they shouldn't have put the 4.6 in the mustang, Ill agree there. Great cop car engine though. The 5.4 woulda been perfect in the mustang if they put any modular in it. Ford never should have went overhead cam with their V8s tho. Still not sure what the point of doing that in a V8 is..
Old 03-18-2015, 07:33 AM   #61
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Quote:

You heard wrong, especially in the 02-04 cars with the deep .62 overdrive. 4.10s go very well with modulars, hell a lot of guys do 4.30s especially those with the NA 4Vs.

Quote:

You'll most likely need to buy a few extra tools but it is a DIY job, just scary for most ppl. There are a ton of instructional posts and youtube vids on how to do stuff like this so you can check it out. If a shop charges you more than $250-$300 for the install, laugh in their face and go somewhere else.

Quote:
Placebo affect is the only thing you're gonna feel from a tune.
How much did ur 0-60 improve when u tuned your bone stock naturally aspirated car?? lol

Oh yeah.. and my car does run and work. The TOB is just out of it which happens to all mustangs eventually. And maybe I will go tune my carb, because you can actually *****g do that whenever you want all by yourself.

Why don't you go download your $500 dollar snake oil ****. We're talking about actually gaining power
Dude... stop... its blatantly obvious you have no acutal IRL experience with a good tune on a modular... or anything...

Quote:
Attachment 177769

This is all I need correct??

I'd just get the AM kit that comes with gears and the install stuff. Just easier and you get everything in one box.

Quote:

So... you think dyno numbers are the only thing that matters? Like I said, obvious you've never actually driven a before/after (at least something that was done properly) because its not only numbers, its overall driveability. You might only pick up 5-10rwhp, I would call BS if someone said they got more... but the car feels like a completely different animal.

Quote:
It says the rebuild kit can be included, etc. leave that alone?

And dude I'm not gonna be able to install this. My family runs a shop, he does all the repairs if I need them. I'm sure he can put gears in them. Just don't know how much

Get the whole AM kit like I said and if your family runs a shop, I'd imagine you'll get a good deal. It should only take a competent tech 2 hours of labor to do the install so that's really all you should pay. Maybe see if someone can do it on the side for $100 and a 30 pack.

Quote:
A 5 speed is the only trans in these cars that can handle 4:10s

Autos will **** themselves if you try to take it on the interstate with 4:10s.

5th gear in your manual is a much taller gear than 4th gear in an auto.

The only thing is, you're gonna be shifting a lot more
Auto has .70 final OD, T5/45/01 and 05+ 3650s are .68 final. So no, its not a "much taller" overdrive on anything that isn't an 02-04 car.

Quote:

Still on those dyno numbers... kind of like a GT500 owner with a 550whp dyno sheet that can't even break into the 10s at the track...

Quote:
4.6 are low hp v8. True, but I just want mine up to 320hp around there. I wanna see if I can beat a 3 valve.

I beat plenty of 3Vs with a bolt on PI swapped 98. Lots of SRT pigs too... its not just about HP no matter how much ppl online will yell about their dyno sheets. Driver, suspension, traction and overall setup has a LOT to do with it. A 250whp bolt on 2V with a set of 4.10s and a suspension setup that hooks up well will be a REAL fun car and you will be able to really surprise a lot of ppl out there. Get a good launch in 1st and come out of the hole hard and watch the other guy panic and floor it and spin because "just a 2V".

Quote:
Yeah they shouldn't have put the 4.6 in the mustang, Ill agree there. Great cop car engine though. The 5.4 woulda been perfect in the mustang if they put any modular in it. Ford never should have went overhead cam with their V8s tho. Still not sure what the point of doing that in a V8 is..
The point was emissions restrictions, cost and because they didn't need to win any HP wars back then. The Mustang with 100hp less than the Camarobird outsold it by a landslide. Also look at what they are doing these days with small cube motors making huger power via technology.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 07:59 AM   #62
Registered Member
Regular

Lol well said Scott

Old 03-18-2015, 10:13 AM   #63
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
You heard wrong, especially in the 02-04 cars with the deep .62 overdrive. 4.10s go very well with modulars, hell a lot of guys do 4.30s especially those with the NA 4Vs.

You'll most likely need to buy a few extra tools but it is a DIY job, just scary for most ppl. There are a ton of instructional posts and youtube vids on how to do stuff like this so you can check it out. If a shop charges you more than $250-$300 for the install, laugh in their face and go somewhere else.

Dude... stop... its blatantly obvious you have no acutal IRL experience with a good tune on a modular... or anything...
Werent you one of the guys telling me my car wouldn't run on a carb?

So... you think dyno numbers are the only thing that matters? Like I said, obvious you've never actually driven a before/after (at least something that was done properly) because its not only numbers, its overall driveability. You might only pick up 5-10rwhp, I would call BS if someone said they got more... but the car feels like a completely different animal.

Well yeah it might feel different if you have an auto that's electronically controlled. But I drove my buddy's bullit after he got a tune and it hardly drove different than my 99 GT (when it was EFI). Ive never driven an auto mustang.

The point was emissions restrictions, cost and because they didn't need to win any HP wars back then. The Mustang with 100hp less than the Camarobird outsold it by a landslide. Also look at what they are doing these days with small cube motors making huger power via technology. Emmisions and restrictions? explain why chevy was able to run a push rod engine that was an entire liter bigger..

the main advantage that I can see from overhead cam is the ability to run more than 2 valves and also spin the engine faster.. So why would you put it in a 4.6 2v V8? V8 powerbands happen across very low rev range, and then to only use 2 valves with it? lol that's silly to me. THe results speak for themselves I guess..

Plus, overhead cam means a much taller/heavier/complex engine. Not only heavier, but the weight is in the least convenient spot-- up high.
Old 03-18-2015, 10:25 AM   #64
Registered Member
Regular

regarding the ford vs chevy,

If i recall correctly, Ford built a new engine from the ground up. Chevy used the same engine and just started modifying it. that was my understanding of it anyway.
Old 03-18-2015, 10:45 AM   #65
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenixignition View Post
regarding the ford vs chevy,

If i recall correctly, Ford built a new engine from the ground up. Chevy used the same engine and just started modifying it. that was my understanding of it anyway.
Maybe they told that to the EPA, but the LT1 and LS1 are pretty much separate designs. Same basic idea with the pushrod V8, but not different in all other main aspects

LT1------------------ LS1
Distributor ------- Coil near plug
Reverse flow ----- regular flow coolant
Cast iron---------- Aluminum

and I think the only parts they share is rod bearings
Old 03-18-2015, 10:57 AM   #66
Registered Member
Regular

The LT1 is iron? Wow. I thought it was aluminum.
Old 03-18-2015, 11:13 AM   #67
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
Quote:

The old LT1 is. Not the new one.

Bullitts are better than Bullets

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 11:16 AM   #68
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
LT-1 is a very old school engine. They were originally carbed I believe. and all were old fashioned distributor ignitions.

Even the LS-1 based Vortecs are cast iron. I guess that's why those blocks can handle the power that they do
Old 03-18-2015, 11:19 AM   #69
Registered Member
Regular

Its a shame the 90s Camaros are *** ugly. Even the new ones are unattractive imo. Like, they are less attractive than a regular ol sedan. I think they tried way too hard with them
Old 03-18-2015, 11:33 AM   #70
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
LT-1 is a very old school engine. They were originally carbed I believe. and all were old fashioned distributor ignitions.

Even the LS-1 based Vortecs are cast iron. I guess that's why those blocks can handle the power that they do
I was thinking of the new LT1 when you said that, forgot about the old ones.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT