Next mod - Page 3 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-18-2015, 11:37 AM   #71
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangz View Post
I was thinking of the new LT1 when you said that, forgot about the old ones.
Yeah I kinda figured you were thinking that.
Panther140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2015, 11:42 AM   #72
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Quote:
I was thinking of the new LT1 when you said that, forgot about the old ones.

There have been a few LT1s over the years, '70s, '90s, current, and all different motors. Although the '90s were an iron block, they did have aluminum heads.

2012 Grabber Blue Mustang Convertible V6 Premium
1979 Solar Gold Trans Am
1995 Bright Red Trans Am Convertible
GrabberMeBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 11:46 AM   #73
Registered Member
Regular

I put a set of 275 sumitimo tires on. Hooks good! Quick question tho. Well a 2 valve hold 100 shot wet good?

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
joe_117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2015, 11:48 AM   #74
Registered Member
Regular

Also, I wanna do suspension like later on. I wanna tune, gears etc. get the car in a decent set up. Then suspension.

Old 03-18-2015, 10:06 PM   #75
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Panther... Nobody ever said it couldn't be done, there are adapters for carbs and the Eddy intake bolts right up to a carb... However most ppl also don't just happen to have all the carb conversion stuff lying around. I'd like to see a vid of it in action, if any lights on the dash are on and what DTCs and being pulled. I personally think its killing a fly with a sledge going to carb just because something was jacked up in the EFI but to each their own. EFI is infinitely more tunable and is more efficient and that is a fact.

Tune makes a big difference both auto or stick, that is just a fact too. Not sure if something was wrong with your buddy's car or what, I was not there I'm speaking from what I know. Bolt on PI cars wake the hell up when a tune is added. So do 94/95s for that matter, even more so. When my bone *** stock 95 Cobra got a PIH swap it literally felt like someone had swapped in a way more powerful motor. That drastic.

As far as emissions and fuel mileage, yes that was the purpose. Remember these motors were designed back in the very early 90s. Should Ford have just upgraded the 351 to be like the LS1? Maybe... they definitely had the tech to do it... but another point of the modular was to cut costs as it was the almost universal Ford V8 from the mid 90s to 2010. The Mustang didn't kill the F body through a HP war or 1/4 mile times, it did it through sales. It was cheaper, it looked good, it was quick enough for Joe Public and the modular is dead nuts reliable when taken care of.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 10:56 PM   #76
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
Hey, if he wants to be slow, let him be slow.

(regarding aftermarket tuning)

OP I can vouch for MPT. You can take your time with Bama or you can get straight to the point with a real custom tune. Your choice.
Old 03-18-2015, 11:17 PM   #77
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Stangz View Post
Hey, if he wants to be slow, let him be slow.

(regarding aftermarket tuning)

OP I can vouch for MPT. You can take your time with Bama or you can get straight to the point with a real custom tune. Your choice.

You have bama?

Old 03-18-2015, 11:32 PM   #78
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
I have MPT. I did too much reading about tunes when I decided to get my tuner. Bama is the bottom of the barrel for tunes and really is geared toward joe everyday simple bolt on guy. MPT will realllllly wake up your mustang. I did a rolling burnout coming out of the grocery store today on accident and my girlfriend looked at me and asked if I was happy with myself. I said yes of course. Lol.

Sent from the mothership.
Slater2111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 12:00 AM   #79
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yeah... 4.6 2v's are a slow joke of a V8 engine.

In its time, for the price? Nope. Still for there price today, not much of joke. Can't think of anything same year, in the price range of a 2v that has similar specs.

alecas447 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 05:10 AM   #80
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
I have tunes from Bama, Steeda, and MPT so far.
Old 03-19-2015, 06:59 AM   #81
Site Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_117 View Post
Attachment 177769
This is all I need correct??
Hey Joe - It's looking like you're getting a lot of varying feedback in here - If you're going to be shooting for a set of Gears it's really imperative to pick up the gear installation kit so whomever is doing the swap has new bearings, shims, and seals for you. We highly recommend this not only for cars with 50k+ miles but brand new 2014 leftovers. It's a great idea to do so as the rear end is going to be wide open. If you're doing the swap as well your speedometer will read incorrectly which while it's not the end of the world if you're running through a construction zone on the highway and get tagged the fine wont be something to smile about.

If you're going to do one you might as well shoot for the other and I would definitely take a look at the Ford Racing 3.73 and Bama X4 Tuner Kit as you'll be able to have the speedo corrected and add a really nice bump in the cars overall performance. Bama has been overhauled over the past 9 months and they've been building some incredible cars. like their 03 Cobra, and their Supercharged 2015 GT that's been making consistent 9 Second passes.

Bama Tunes more Mustangs than anyone else in the aftermarket industry. I'll just say this again, Bama Tunes, more Mustangs than anyone else in the aftermarket industry. Saying their tunes are bottom of the barrel or for joe everyday is false; These guys test on not only Dynojet Dynos but on a Mustang Dyno as well and can simulate anything from quarter mile testing to steady state testing to step testing and WOT. Both dynos are built within controlled environments to simulate numerous conditions to ensure that the power being produced is on point. They're on the track, dyno, and street dialing in their tunes on an hourly basis. Furthermore their team is fully trained and certified by SCT and Diablosport in custom tuning and they've also been recognized and certified and trained by Calibrated Success and the Society of Automotive Engineers. If you have any other questions about their tunes or what they can do for your 2V feel free to let me know or shoot me a PM and I'm here to help clear anything up.

Alex
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
WIN A SUPERCHARGED MUSTANG & 2017 RAPTOR!
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMAlexLazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 08:30 AM   #82
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slater2111 View Post
I have MPT. I did too much reading about tunes when I decided to get my tuner. Bama is the bottom of the barrel for tunes and really is geared toward joe everyday simple bolt on guy. MPT will realllllly wake up your mustang. I did a rolling burnout coming out of the grocery store today on accident and my girlfriend looked at me and asked if I was happy with myself. I said yes of course. Lol.

😂 gosh the accidental burnouts. where do you get mpt tunes? Also when you mod your car do you have to pay for another tune, or will they send you one free?

Old 03-19-2015, 08:33 AM   #83
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMAlexLazarus View Post
Hey Joe - It's looking like you're getting a lot of varying feedback in here - If you're going to be shooting for a set of Gears it's really imperative to pick up the gear installation kit so whomever is doing the swap has new bearings, shims, and seals for you. We highly recommend this not only for cars with 50k+ miles but brand new 2014 leftovers. It's a great idea to do so as the rear end is going to be wide open. If you're doing the swap as well your speedometer will read incorrectly which while it's not the end of the world if you're running through a construction zone on the highway and get tagged the fine wont be something to smile about.

If you're going to do one you might as well shoot for the other and I would definitely take a look at the Ford Racing 3.73 and Bama X4 Tuner Kit as you'll be able to have the speedo corrected and add a really nice bump in the cars overall performance. Bama has been overhauled over the past 9 months and they've been building some incredible cars. like their 03 Cobra, and their Supercharged 2015 GT that's been making consistent 9 Second passes.

Bama Tunes more Mustangs than anyone else in the aftermarket industry. I'll just say this again, Bama Tunes, more Mustangs than anyone else in the aftermarket industry. Saying their tunes are bottom of the barrel or for joe everyday is false; These guys test on not only Dynojet Dynos but on a Mustang Dyno as well and can simulate anything from quarter mile testing to steady state testing to step testing and WOT. Both dynos are built within controlled environments to simulate numerous conditions to ensure that the power being produced is on point. They're on the track, dyno, and street dialing in their tunes on an hourly basis. Furthermore their team is fully trained and certified by SCT and Diablosport in custom tuning and they've also been recognized and certified and trained by Calibrated Success and the Society of Automotive Engineers. If you have any other questions about their tunes or what they can do for your 2V feel free to let me know or shoot me a PM and I'm here to help clear anything up.

Alex

I was thinking 4.10 gears would be okay. Some friends of mine told me that there better than 3.73. Has there been a lot of bad feedback on those gears?

Old 03-19-2015, 08:33 AM   #84
Registered Member
Regular

Morepowertuning.com is their website. As far as tune revisions for new parts. Yes you have to pay $20. But it's worth every penny. Don't let that scare you.

Old 03-19-2015, 08:36 AM   #85
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slater2111 View Post
Morepowertuning.com is their website. As far as tune revisions for new parts. Yes you have to pay $20. But it's worth every penny. Don't let that scare you.

They sell hand held tuners? Or do I need to buy one? Also at what point will my suspension become garbage when I hit a certain hp/tq point?

Old 03-19-2015, 08:45 AM   #86
Registered Member
Regular

Yes they sell all the hand held tuners. You get 3 tunes when you purchase the tuner from them. Revisions are $20 but not all bolt ons need revisions. And the stock suspension is garbage now. And was from the factory. Upgrade your suspension and watch your bolt ons be realized through less loss of power. The general consensus is 3.73 for manual and 4.10 for auto. I have an auto and went 3.73. I do a lot of mixed driving and only lost 1 mpg from the increased cruising rpm.

Old 03-19-2015, 09:35 AM   #87
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Panther... Nobody ever said it couldn't be done, there are adapters for carbs and the Eddy intake bolts right up to a carb... However most ppl also don't just happen to have all the carb conversion stuff lying around. I'd like to see a vid of it in action, if any lights on the dash are on and what DTCs and being pulled. I personally think its killing a fly with a sledge going to carb just because something was jacked up in the EFI but to each their own. EFI is infinitely more tunable and is more efficient and that is a fact.
It threw a CEL when I did the carb swap lol.

Oh yeah, and my PATS light is now on, but it still runs and drives haha. Basically, my car doesn't call the shots anymore. I do.
Old 03-19-2015, 09:41 AM   #88
Registered Member
Regular

if you do a lotta interstate driving with an auto, I wouldn't go 4.10s though. If you commute, id rather have that ring on a 5 speed. Final drive is a taller gear in the 5 speed if either of them. NOt that its a huge difference in final drive as scotty pointed out. Its only a 4%(ish) difference in ratio

But for shifting and accelerating, you gotta row a lot of gears with 4.10s in a man's trans.
Old 03-19-2015, 10:43 AM   #89
Staff
Regular
Staff

All depends on what the person wants. Put a taller tire out back and do 65mph and 4.10s in an auto are fine for highway commuting. You don't shift anymore with 4.10s over 3.73s, just sooner and they are actually great for commuters on back roads like I used to be. Speed limits are 45-50 the whole way so just throw it in 5th and cruise.

I do agree that for a long haul highway commute you probably don't want 4.10s in an auto or a stick that isn't an 02-04. But some ppl do it anyway haha. Or just buy an 11-up auto that is geared so you don't need to go higher than 3.31 out back. Best of all worlds there.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Mustang Evolution mobile app

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 03-20-2015, 01:17 PM   #90
Site Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther140 View Post
if you do a lotta interstate driving with an auto, I wouldn't go 4.10s though. If you commute, id rather have that ring on a 5 speed. Final drive is a taller gear in the 5 speed if either of them. NOt that its a huge difference in final drive as scotty pointed out. Its only a 4%(ish) difference in ratio

But for shifting and accelerating, you gotta row a lot of gears with 4.10s in a man's trans.
Panthers got it - If you're on the highway a lot and you're auto shoot for 3.73's - They'll wake the car up but they wont destroy your fuel consumption like the 10's will!

let me know if you're to have any other questions or feel free to contact me directly.

Alex
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
WIN A SUPERCHARGED MUSTANG & 2017 RAPTOR!
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMAlexLazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 08:46 PM   #91
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
Mpg is overrated
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1426902364.367850.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	177978

Bullitts are better than Bullets

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 08:55 PM   #92
Registered Member
Regular

I do 10 mpg on a good day on city driving. And I don't beat it.

Sometimes I think something is wrong with the car.

Old 03-20-2015, 10:17 PM   #93
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by alecas447 View Post

yea i think so too lol. lowest i could achieve was 15mpg city.
Old 03-20-2015, 11:22 PM   #94
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMAlexLazarus View Post
Panthers got it - If you're on the highway a lot and you're auto shoot for 3.73's - They'll wake the car up but they wont destroy your fuel consumption like the 10's will!

let me know if you're to have any other questions or feel free to contact me directly.

Alex
Or just get the 4.10s and run a little taller tire to make up for the OD being .02 higher than the stick... You will have a little converter slip to deal with too but its not much. A 26.5" or 27" rear tire fits fine even on a lowered car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
Mpg is overrated
Attachment 177978

Bullitts are better than Bullets
Lol and being an 01 you have the .68 overdrive lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alecas447 View Post

Sounds like something is definitely off. When is the last time you did a full tune up to include the COPs and an injector rebuild?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenixignition View Post
That's more like it.

Old 03-21-2015, 12:48 PM   #95
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenixignition View Post

Gets worst by the week

Old 03-21-2015, 12:51 PM   #96
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Or just get the 4.10s and run a little taller tire to make up for the OD being .02 higher than the stick... You will have a little converter slip to deal with too but its not much. A 26.5" or 27" rear tire fits fine even on a lowered car.

Lol and being an 01 you have the .68 overdrive lol.

Sounds like something is definitely off. When is the last time you did a full tune up to include the COPs and an injector rebuild?

That's more like it.

Never the car has 82k

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT