Best headlamp bulb for 04 GT. - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-16-2015, 08:23 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Minnesota
Question Best headlamp bulb for 04 GT.

My Mustang has the factory housings, and standard halogen bulbs in it. I'm looking for some more light output while keeping the factory housings. I've used aftermarket bulbs in the past, but there are so many choices these days. I know HID should be used in conjunction with Projector housings for the best beam aiming, and at this time I'm not looking to go HID. I've seen some LED kits, but I'm afraid again of being too aggressive to on coming traffic with stock housings.

What would you recommend for a "upgraded" bulb replacement? I've looked at the Silver Stars, but not really sold on them. I saw too many sets come back with-in the "12mo warranty" Silvania gives you with the bulb when I worked for Oreilly's.
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2015, 06:00 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by phatspeed7x View Post
My Mustang has the factory housings, and standard halogen bulbs in it. I'm looking for some more light output while keeping the factory housings. I've used aftermarket bulbs in the past, but there are so many choices these days. I know HID should be used in conjunction with Projector housings for the best beam aiming, and at this time I'm not looking to go HID. I've seen some LED kits, but I'm afraid again of being too aggressive to on coming traffic with stock housings.

What would you recommend for a "upgraded" bulb replacement? I've looked at the Silver Stars, but not really sold on them. I saw too many sets come back with-in the "12mo warranty" Silvania gives you with the bulb when I worked for Oreilly's.
the longevity of the bulb is one story. i had a couple returns at advance, but mine have lasted a year and a half so far. but for the cost, the silverstars are awful. I like the philips bulbs, ill be getting those next.
Old 03-17-2015, 06:11 AM   #3
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
These

** NEW ** Philips Xtreme Vision 9007 XTV HB5 65/55W

And they're on sale right meow as well. Get em while they are hot!

I prefer ordering my bulbs from a store like this because, believe it or not, there is big enough fake problem with bulbs to warrant looking for a real reputable store vs getting them from some rando vendor on amazon or ebay.

Also, big props for not being one of the "I want to upgrade to HID but I only want to spend $25" people and not running cheap HIDs in reflectors.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2015, 08:51 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

I found the Phillips extreme cheaper on Amazon. I think I paid 19.99 and got 2 day shipping.

Sent from the mothership.
Slater2111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 09:39 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

I'll have to look at them. Think a local retailer actually sells them.
Old 03-17-2015, 10:00 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

pep boys i think was the one that sells em. advance autoparts and autozone only have sylvania and chinese store brand.
Old 03-17-2015, 01:03 PM   #7
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slater2111 View Post
I found the Phillips extreme cheaper on Amazon. I think I paid 19.99 and got 2 day shipping.

Like I said in a previous post, there is a big counterfeit problem with bulbs believe it or not. Because you can trick a layman into thinking they got a legit bright light with a regular bulb and a blue film. I always buy from Candlepower because they are 100% legit.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 03-17-2015, 01:11 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

It was a pretty convincing Phillips box and packaging if they are fake. I highly doubt they are though.

Old 03-17-2015, 01:15 PM   #9
Staff
Regular
Staff

I doubt they are too but you never know... you'd be surprised... I'm sure yours are real. Post up how you like them, most ppl who try them either ***** that they aren't white enough of love them. Nevermind that just because they are whiter doesn't make them brighter lol.

Old 03-17-2015, 01:28 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

I didn't find the Phillips to be white. But I will post a pic tonight of what light output they produce.

Old 03-17-2015, 06:53 PM   #11
Staff
Regular
Staff

They're whiter than the crap replacement Sylvanias that ppl get but they're not like "xenon blue/white" that a lot of ppl think the brightest lights are.

I have the pics at my work somewhere but an OEM yellow bulb is actually a lot brighter than a Silverstar and a Philips is basically a hotter OEM. Then you have the HIRs... which outpowered the HIDs I had in my DEPO housings but those are only available in 9011/9012 (9005/9006) unfortunately. Good for 94-98 owners tho...

Old 03-17-2015, 10:18 PM   #12
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Region: Indiana
I don't think the sylvania silverstars I have are that bad. I'm wanting to try the LED set they sell on Latemodelresto. Don't know why AM doesn't sell them.

Here's mine with the sylvania's.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1426648468.265502.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	177762

Honestly, as many threads talking about issues with HID's, I don't think I'll ever try them. If Raxiom would make a set of headlights that were designed for HID bulbs, then maybe I'd give it a try.

IG: @azurebluemach
Old 03-17-2015, 10:40 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Well turns out my local retailer who carried Phillips bulbs discontinued them a while back. Looked at the silver stars at the local parts store. Didn't purchase anything yet. I gave that LED kit at late-model resto a look also. Even with the discount code I have for them that's alot of money to drop on lighting.
Old 03-17-2015, 10:46 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
so what exactly is all the hate/fuss about HID kits? I've got one that came with the car but was never installed.. Should I not install them?
keeney35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 12:21 AM   #15
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by keeney35 View Post
so what exactly is all the hate/fuss about HID kits? I've got one that came with the car but was never installed.. Should I not install them?

Seems like so many people have probs with the ballasts going out, heat issues with the ballasts, or the bulbs going out. For as much as they cost, it just doesn't seem worth it. HID's are supposed to be a violation of DOT laws, but I think that's mainly because people have them pointed up so high. True though, that the right fixture will point the light better on the road, but I don't know of any quality headlight fixtures that are designed for HIDs and the older Mustangs. I'm not saying don't buy them or don't install the ones you already have, I'm just saying they don't seem that reliable for the cost etc.

Old 03-18-2015, 12:49 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

I'll keep my stock ones just incase but my night driving kinda sucks, I think the ones I have now are just a smoked oem style but I guess I'll install them and see how it goes lol they are 12,000k
Old 03-18-2015, 01:16 AM   #17
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by keeney35 View Post
I'll keep my stock ones just incase but my night driving kinda sucks, I think the ones I have now are just a smoked oem style but I guess I'll install them and see how it goes lol they are 12,000k

12000k????? You will have worse visibility than stock. You may as well drive around without headlights, would be safer that way......

Bullitts are better than Bullets

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 01:18 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Whys that lol I'm clueless for the HIDS teach me lol
Old 03-18-2015, 04:21 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

I didnt have any issues honestly with my last car, but it was a dinky little hyundai elantra. I grabbed 8000k when I should have used 6000k. I wanted super white with a hint of blue, I got straight up blue. But I installed a little shield directly below the bulb which blocked the lower half of rhe fixture from reflecting light upward. The light went to the top of the fixture and reflected downward to the road. Then I adjusted em properly and had no issues with them shining at oncoming traffic. As far as I know, they still work since 2011. And they were a huge difference from the stock h7 bulbs. Now when I got my mustang and put in sylvania silverstars, I had the same visibility just not as intense. But I imagine switching to a real bulb will make up for that.
The hard thing about HIDs is that usually if they didnt come stock on the car, then you have to buy some chinese made kit, and a majority of people run into issues with cheap chinese internet purchases. I got lucky with the hyundai.

All in all, for the saftey and light output, hids arent worth it.
For getting that light effect you want to modernize your car, thats a different story. I just prefer to keep mine looking like 2002.

Also, the 12000k will have worse visibility because of color. Lower numbers that produce yellow light cut through rain and fog best (safety) while higher numbers (blue and purple) will lose illumination.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 03-18-2015, 06:44 AM   #20
Staff
Regular
Staff

If you put HIDs in a stock reflector housing... you are a useless ricer and should have your car impounded... sorry... you are a hazard to others on the road. There is no way to properly aim a HID in a reflector that is designed for a halogen, there just isn't.

I seriously don't get what all the fuss is about with HIDs anyway. Halogens are plenty bright, at least good ones are. You don't need some sort of military grade 900billion lumen light for your car. A well designed reflector paired with a real high quality halogen is 75% as bright as an OEM HID anyway and brighter than most of the aftermarket crap out there. If your HID kit isn't laser aligned AND quartz glass and in the sub 5K range you will be dimmer than the OEM setup. Both light output and intelligence wise.

Basically:

-If your car came with halogens, run a good halogen

-If your car came with optional HIDs and you want to run HIDs then look into finding a takeoff set and upgrading

-If HIDs were never an option for your car, you need to either retrofit them yourself with a set of OEM or real high quality aftermarket projectors (like Morimoto) or send them out to a retrofitter (not HIDguy).

-"Plug and Play" kits like DDM/VVME/Kensun should be illegal (and I think they actually are according to DOT) as they are a huge safety violation.

-DEPO/Raxiom projectors are not designed for HIDs but they do a GREAT job with a real high quality halogen bulb. The 94-98 cars especially benefit as DEPO makes a really really nice projector setup that can utilize the 9011/9012 HIR bulbs which are the brightest halogens available by a serious margin at 2300 lumens.

Old 03-18-2015, 08:52 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

I'm still doing my homework guys... Never put this much research into a car part before. LOL

Edit...

Amazon had a $10 off coupon for Philips 9007XVS2 X-Treme Vision Headlight Bulbs. They come in a 2 pack, and after to coupon they ended up being about $25. I also ordered a LED flasher for the mustang at the same time. Order came out to be a little over $40, and I also started a 30 day trial of Amazon Prime so I got free 2day shipping. Excited to see how these bulbs turn out.
Old 03-18-2015, 10:14 PM   #22
Staff
Regular
Staff

You'll like those bulbs. The LED flasher is unnecessary but if you like it then more power to you. A good foglight bulb for these cars is a Nokya Hyper Yellow and the size is 893. It is an actual yellow bulb which is the most optimal color range for fogs. Actual sciency tests do confirm that the color that cuts through fog/mist/rain the best is yellow.

Old 03-18-2015, 11:01 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

I plan on installing led turn signal bulbs down the road. Don't want hyper flash.
Old 03-19-2015, 02:18 PM   #24
Staff
Regular
Staff

I'm talking about the fogs, not the blinkers.

Old 03-19-2015, 10:38 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah I know. My fog lights actually don't shine worth a damn. Was thinking of going LED kit on them. Late model restoration has a kit.
Old 03-19-2015, 10:40 PM   #26
Staff
Regular
Staff

The LEDs work well but the point of them ins't to be mega bright which is probably why they don't seem to do much. If its foggy as **** and they are off vs on you'll see a difference tho.

Old 03-20-2015, 06:41 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

the fogs was my first experience with philips bulbs. I have the silvania silverstars in my headlights now, and when i installed the basic philips 800 something number, they had the same whiteness as the silverstars, and actually produce a good amount of light. so ill be going with some of the higher up philips for my headlights when the time comes.

also keep in mind, that over time, bulbs do lose their quality from use. So be aware of that when people compare bulbs, and they say one is better than the other. for example sylvania vs stock bulbs, a lot of people who are comparing them to stock are comparing the new sylvanias to old worn out stock bulbs, so of course it will be an improvement.
I dont think sylvanias are terribly bad, but they should not be nearly as expensive as they are for what you get. having gotten them for free, i say sylvania silverstars are great bulbs. had i paid retail price for them, I would have to rethink my life choices.

I have no experience with LED headlights though, and i remember a i had a coworker who wanted to pay like almost 150 to 200 bucks or so for a set of LED Headlight bulbs for his camaro. seeing as they are very expensive, i guess the light output might be pretty good, but this sounds it would be as bad a choice as aftermarket HIDs. Anyone seen these in use?
Old 03-20-2015, 01:59 PM   #28
Staff
Regular
Staff

Silverstars are gimmicks. They put out less lumens than new oem bulbs but ppl think they are great because, like you said, they are going from old yellow worn out bulbs to new white ones. Silverstars get their white light from a blue film on the bulb btw. This is what drops the lumens.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Mustang Evolution mobile app

Old 03-20-2015, 07:00 PM   #29
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Silverstars are gimmicks. They put out less lumens than new oem bulbs but ppl think they are great because, like you said, they are going from old yellow worn out bulbs to new white ones. Silverstars get their white light from a blue film on the bulb btw. This is what drops the lumens.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Mustang Evolution mobile app

Mine work fine. I've been buying them for years. Not sure what you guys are talking about really. I can't say Phillps are better or worse because I've never tried them, but I haven't had any issues with my Silverstars over the years. This includes Silverstars for our other cars too.

Old 03-20-2015, 09:27 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Bulbs showed up today. Haven't installed them yet. Mustang is in the garage resting. We got a winter blast here for the first day of spring. Go figure.
Old 03-20-2015, 10:15 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
Mine work fine. I've been buying them for years. Not sure what you guys are talking about really. I can't say Phillps are better or worse because I've never tried them, but I haven't had any issues with my Silverstars over the years. This includes Silverstars for our other cars too.

next set id give it a the philips a shot just to see. i cant tell if my silverstars are getting duller, or if im just more used to them. they are effective enough to see at night, but im gonna try the philips next in the near future.

and yes, scotty is right about the blue tint on the silverstars. it cuts out the yellow light output, thus less light passes through, but appears whiter. i do remember reading about that in the past.
Old 03-20-2015, 10:19 PM   #32
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post

They work fine, but if you were go measure a silverstar vs an oem bulb just on output, the OEM bulb will win every time. But if you prefer a white light, they are on pretty much every auto parts stores' shelves albiet... kind of pricey...

Old 03-21-2015, 12:18 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
I had the silver stars and when I bought my new headlights I threw them away because I never thought they were any good. I just used the crappy oem style bulbs the new headlights came with and their brighter than the silver stars were. It wasn't because my old headlight lenses were cloudy either they were clear, just aged looking. I would not buy them again That's for sure.. I may try out the Philips extreme bulbs though.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Follow on Instagram @steviesstangs
15% off waxgods.com use code: manic15
10% off toplabel.com use code: Manic10
Steve96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 12:23 AM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
I Also purchased the yellow nokya fog light bulbs Scotty mentioned and they work great and look good too. They were like 6 bucks each on Amazon.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Follow on Instagram @steviesstangs
15% off waxgods.com use code: manic15
10% off toplabel.com use code: Manic10
Steve96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 03:33 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

I got the bulbs installed. With just a test shine in my garage they are brighter than the worn standard bulbs I had. Won't really be able to get a comparison until tonight after the sun goes down.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT