Soft Brake Pedal Issue - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-17-2015, 09:44 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Soft Brake Pedal Issue

Over the weekend, I had to change out the rear passenger brake caliper & bracket, along with a new rotor & pads. Afterwards, I made sure everything was tightened down, then bled the brakes properly (furthest from cylinder to closest), and made sure the master cylinder had the maxim recommended brake fluid. The pedal now is really soft, and I have to push it down 1/3 of the way until it starts to bite and slow down.

This morning, I had to brake hard to avoid hitting a car, and while I was slowing down, the Brake light came on the dashboard, then went out as soon as I let go of the brakes. Only happened once; didn't since.

What could the issue be? I know for a fact brakes aren't supposed to feel like this on these Mustangs. I can only figure it's a problem with the master cylinder, hydroboost, or a fluid leak somewhere. Any ideas??

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
1997 Ford Mustang GT (Rio Red) (RMR #7832)

2003 Ford Mustang GT Centennial Edition (Black) (SOLD)
2004 Ford Mustang GT (Redfire) (SOLD)
1985 Chevrolet C10 Custom Deluxe (Red) (SOLD)
TheJigShow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2015, 09:59 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
check your power steering fluid. that feeds right to the hydroboost, i believe. check those lines for leaks. also check your break fluid again if you havent. may have to re bleed them, in case an air bubble got in the lines without you noticing.
Old 03-17-2015, 12:35 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Like Fenix said, you still have air in the brake lines/calipers. You will need to re-bleed them.
If you accidentally let the master cylinder run dry, while you were bleeding the brakes, you may have to bleed it first and then bleed the brakes again.
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2015, 07:21 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Ok well when I have an extra person available, I'll re-bleed it all. For safe measure, I should replace the rear driver's side calipers and such too? They're the same age as the other one so they're on borrowed time lol

1997 Ford Mustang GT (Rio Red) (RMR #7832)

2003 Ford Mustang GT Centennial Edition (Black) (SOLD)
2004 Ford Mustang GT (Redfire) (SOLD)
1985 Chevrolet C10 Custom Deluxe (Red) (SOLD)
TheJigShow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 07:32 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Yes. Whenever you are doing brake work, it is advisable to replace parts in pairs, on the axle.
For the precise reason that you mentioned.
Old 03-19-2015, 01:16 AM   #6
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Bleed it from the master cylinder itself. I had the same issue, bled each caliper multiple times. Then I did the master cylinder, after 1 go at it firmness came right back.

Bullitts are better than Bullets

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 03:36 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

When I replaced the front calipers on my car I had to take it to a shop to get them bled because no matter what I tried at Home it didn't work

BigB227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 05:03 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
Bleed it from the master cylinder itself. I had the same issue, bled each caliper multiple times. Then I did the master cylinder, after 1 go at it firmness came right back.

Bullitts are better than Bullets
I know this was a year ago, but i just landed in this boat. 2 new front calipers. changed, bled, changed other one, bled, then did a full brake bleed. I was expecting perfect brakes, but the pedal just sank to the floor. tried again, same thing. would not tighten up. now that i think about it, i vaguely remember the master cylinder running pretty low, before i could refill it again during the process. so now i want to bleed the master cylinder, but i have no idea how. do you remove it and bench bleed it? or is there a way to bleed it on the car?
Old 03-17-2016, 05:28 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Try bleeding it on the car first.
Loosen up the brake lines one at a time, just as you would open the bleeders on the calipers. And then it is the same process as a normal brake bleed. Have someone depress the pedal and hold it, then tighten up the line. Repeat the process a couple of times for each brake line. Then bleed the brakes again, being very careful to not let the master cylinder run dry again!
Old 03-17-2016, 05:31 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

And you will probably need some rags to keep the brake fluid from going everywhere.
Old 03-17-2016, 06:22 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

I didnt get back here in time but I figured it out right after I posted. It didn't dawn on me to just bleed the brake bleeder screws like I would on the calipers. But I was so happy when a bunch of air spit out of one of them, and then clean brake fluid. My wife was very confused however and thought something was wrong when the brake pedal became very stiff. Haha.

But yea, I just ran 2 little hoses in a brake bleed kit from the bleeders to the master cylinder.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 03-17-2016, 07:05 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Lol.
I never noticed that our cars have bleeders on the master cylinder. That's a much cleaner method than cracking open the brake lines!
Glad you got it figured out!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT