New to the group, just bought first my first mustang - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-18-2015, 01:07 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
New to the group, just bought first my first mustang

Greetings Mustang lovers. Just bought my first mustang 2 days ago as a project car. It's a 99 GT, it's completely stock I'm excited about this and can't wait to get started. I'm currently deployed right now and will be returning home in May. Needless to say I haven't even drove the car yet. I had my buddy who's also a car enthusiast go check it out.

Looking for advice being this is my first project car and the 99-2004 body style has always been my favorite.

I'm wanting to start with the motor first before the body. I want to get the heart and lungs sounding and moving like I want to before work on the exterior.

Ideas I have in mind are Cams, carburetor, off-road x-pipe, long or short tube headers (cant decide), full exhaust, cold air intake, etc.

These are just a start. I'm looking for ideas as to what people with experience would recommend. I want to have that deep roaring tune that'll make people hear me far away.

I'm open to all suggestions and I look forward to hearing from everyone.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pic 1.JPG
Views:	59
Size:	156.4 KB
ID:	177774   Click image for larger version

Name:	pic 2.JPG
Views:	57
Size:	149.6 KB
ID:	177775  

mergejones is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2015, 04:40 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Well nice car, welcome to the forum. What's your Hp goals. If your planning over 450whp you will want to have forged internals. With that said good first mods would be headers and full exhaust, intake plenum and throttle body, gears and a tune. Are cars have efi not carberators.
Old 03-18-2015, 05:47 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

For Headers what would you recommend (long/short) and brand?

Also, x-pipe vs h-pipe, which is recommended if I want that deep rumbling tune. I'm pretty sure muffler type has a lot to do with it as well

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2015, 06:56 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

I have long tube headers on mine. 2 things you should know, 1. They're an absolute b**** to get in yourself, be prepared to get aggravated a time or two. Secondly, my mustang has been lowered and with long tube they hang a bit lower and will hit things, especially if you've bee lowered. So if your in a town with horribly uneven roads, dips everywhere and potholes, you might wanta go with shorties. Now on the contrary, I think headers are definitely worth it, I definitely noticed a bit of power difference after install an it gave it a bit more meaner sound. That's just my input. Hope you enjoy the mustang world 😎.

dayves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 07:00 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks a lot dayves. What are your takes on x-pipe vs h-pipe. Do you have either and what type of exhaust would you recommend

Old 03-18-2015, 07:01 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Also for your mid pipe, X pipe is gonna give you a bit more raspier sound, at idle and when you get on it. If you want a deeper sound you'll be more pleased with the H pipe. But don't think just because you threw an H pipe in you're gonna unleash the beast of deep sound, it won't sound near as good as it will once you throw some 2 1/2" exhaust through that pony. As for brand, I've been happy with my 'pypes'.

Old 03-18-2015, 07:01 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Nice car! Just from a quick glance tho your body isnt stock, headlights, chin spoiler, and rims all look AM too me, also what is that on your front fender above your wheel? Almost looks like a hood louver, or a decal? Or am i wrong and just a glare off the paint?

02 GT
2013 Feb MOTM
Old 03-18-2015, 07:15 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

V8pony that's a lot. To me it looked like some mods were done but not sure. I haven't touches or drove the car yet lol. my buddy went and checked it out for me, text drove it and everything. I'm still deployed right now and won't be coming back until first week of May.

Old 03-18-2015, 09:01 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Also for your mid pipe, X pipe is gonna give you a bit more raspier sound, at idle and when you get on it. If you want a deeper sound you'll be more pleased with the H pipe. But don't think just because you threw an H pipe in you're gonna unleash the beast of deep sound, it won't sound near as good as it will once you throw some 2 1/2" exhaust through that pony. As for brand, I've been happy with my 'pypes'.

Old 03-18-2015, 09:06 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Sorry for the re posted reply, i dont know why it did that. But I'd go with magnaflow as well if you want that deeper sound. And the thing you're seeing in his fender above the tire are Louvers or 'slots'. The fenders are aftermarket and have the slots there. Just an extra little feature, I personally like em.

Old 03-18-2015, 09:08 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

An if I'm correct that's not a chin spoiler but the Cobra R bumper, which I'm in love with.

Old 03-18-2015, 09:24 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks a lot Dayves. Im really enjoying everyone's comments and advice. Like I said, I knew to this and don't know much about cars but mustangs and American muscle has always been my favorite.
Old 03-18-2015, 10:56 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
You want sound? Get an H pipe and some borla ataks. Google those mufflers.
Stage 2 or 3 cams will get it sounding nasty too.

As far as 450 rwhp, you're gonna want a forged rotating assembly and an upgraded fuel system pump/injectors/ECU tune. Probably a power adder
Panther140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 11:04 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Borla makes some mean a** exhaust. My dad has some and they're beyond loud. But I personally don't like them. Just watch some videos and listen to the difference to find what you like best

Old 03-18-2015, 11:34 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Pretty clean car man! And thank you for serving and everything your fighting for!!

I've got an H pipe 2.5 exhaust with flo-pro single chamber mufflers... I don't have any cats because we don't do emissions and cats certainly take away from the sound.. Mine isn't raspy at all has a deep echoey tone, sounds great.. The flo-pros are basically a knock off flowmaster but in my mind better quality.. Im lowered an 1.5" I noticed it bottoms out with my longtubes but it's not very often mainly on huge speed bumps and steep V shaped dips in the city..

Is yours a manual or auto? If it's an auto I'd say 4.10'gears manual 3.73.. I recently put the 3.73 in my 5 speed and it's like a whole new car.. Really makes a big difference in acceleration and didn't sacrifice but maybe 1mpg and 6-7 mph in each gear..

So gears would be a good first mod, then exhaust to get the car exiting good flow and then throttle body/plenum to bring more in... BBK and accufab makes a great 1 piece throttle body plenum design, with multiple size options, I'm naturally aspirated except for nitrous so I went with 73mm stock is 65mm I think.(correct me if I'm wrong guys) and I've got a steeda cold air intake, but jlt is another good brand.. After that if it's a stick a steeda tri-ax short throw shifter would be good, and some underdrive pullies. As far as cams go I went with comp cams stage 3 270.. You'll need to get the comp cams beehive springs and retainers with them but from what I've seen in person they have a great power band and an amazing idle.. But these guys are extremely helpful and I've only been here a short while but have certainly learned a lot..
keeney35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 11:53 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

I would do bassani x pipe.

---------- Post added at 04:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:52 PM ----------

If it's standard, MGW shifter.

joe_117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 12:57 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Keeney35 thanks a lot. my car is a manual. i will look into the 3.73 gears as well. i definitely want the cams to give it that nice chopping sound while at idle. i was really interested in the borla exhaust with an O/R H-pipe. Im going to look into the throttle body and plentum as well. All of this advice is awesome. I'm just that excited to hurry and get home i May.
Old 03-18-2015, 01:18 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah man I cant imagine your excitement. That car is truly mint. Where are u from?
Old 03-18-2015, 01:54 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Panther140 I'm currently stationed at Fort Stewart, GA and live in Savannah GA. Originally born in Columbus, SC and went to high school and college in Charlotte, NC

Old 03-18-2015, 02:03 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mergejones View Post
Panther140 I'm currently stationed at Fort Stewart, GA and live in Savannah GA. Originally born in Columbus, SC and went to high school and college in Charlotte, NC

Oh cool! My roommate at school did basic at fort benning, which I believe is in GA. Are you infantry?
Old 03-18-2015, 02:13 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

When ok was enlisted I was field artillery. Now I'm an Electronic Warfare Warrant Officer

Old 03-18-2015, 02:19 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mergejones View Post
When ok was enlisted I was field artillery. Now I'm an Electronic Warfare Warrant Officer

Im not 100% sure what that is, but its a pretty bad *** job title lol

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT