Ignition systems and megasquirt - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-19-2015, 06:23 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
Ignition systems and megasquirt

Ive been trying to learn more about ford's ignition systems and get more familiar with DIY ECU work. I have found some really really cheap ways to have total control over every aspect of your ignition. Like $200 and you have a really tunable stand alone setup that can even detect boost/vaccum. Here is something I found that has a bunch of cool info, in case somebody else wants to learn this on here:

Tons of info on this page. Look into it for sure, because its awesome if you want to go fast for cheap.
How to MegaSquirt your Ford Modular Motor

Even cheaper than megasquirt for ignition is megajolt-- This is how I am going to gain more control over my ignition for $150 in my carbed car: http://www.autosportlabs.net/MegaJolt_Lite_Jr.

And then there is this, which is an alternative to what I just posted-- it fires your coils and you can adjust it and set 2 step timing
MSD Ignition 6011, MSD Ignition Controller for Ford Modular Carbureted Engines | MSD Ignition

Apparently ford's old EDIS is popular to put on older engines as well. All ford 4.6s have EDIS or DIS. The COP ignition on the 99+ is actually really similar to the wasted spark (coil pack) ignition on the 98- modular.

I thought this was cool because I have always thought it was way to expensive to sort of "hard wire" these cars. but this is a really cheap way to bypass PATS for good. While actually GAINING tenability. SO yea, im spreading word around about this. Look into it if you want to go forced induction or carbed or just go faster and have more simplicity. The ECUs that come in these cars are **** compared to even a really cheap alternative.
Panther140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2015, 08:47 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

I forgot this part:

all 4.6 modular and 5.4 engines have this 36-1 gear, which is what our CPS reads, which tells the ECU where the crank is at. The Megajolt ignition controller is the cheapest way to run your ignition without the ECU. It operates on ford's EDIS system. You need the 36-1 gear for your CPS to read, an EDIS module (which is cheap as F%#$) and coil packs OR Coils on plug. You can make it work with Coil on plug, or just put the coil pack ignition on from a mustang that has them.

The EDIS 8 module is the one that runs the V8 cars. EDIS 6 runs V6s and EDIS 4 runs 4 cylinder cars. People with all kinds of cars will adapt fords 36-1 crank gear and the CPS in order to run the EDIS system on their cars.

The EDIS 8 will run you car without the megajolt, but the timing will be set in stone at 10 degrees BTDC. So it will start up and drive at lower RPMs without the megajolt. EDIS will fire the coils or packs all on its own. But when you add the megajolt to the EDIS 8, you will be able to set the timing however you like. The cool thing about it is that the Megajolt is so damn cheap.

Here is more info to get started: Ford EDIS-8 Ignition System and Mega Jolt Lite Jr controller Images - Frompo

This is a stand-alone ignition method for the 4.6 ford. It allows you to run your car off of a stand-alone fuel system like megasquirt, ez-efi, or a carburetor
Old 03-20-2015, 03:11 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

HOT ROD GETS 370 HORSE WITH CARB AND 6 MOD IGNITION NO ECU

They converted to carburetor and used a 6 mod ign, put heads/cam in and got 370 horsepower out of a 1997 crown vic 4.6
Ford 4.6 Engine - Junkyard Jewel Ford 4.6l 2v - Engine Build Up - Hot Rod Magazine

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT