TOB chirp clutch adj ?? - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-24-2015, 01:11 PM   #36
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
FRPP is not OEM tho... you can look on the MM site and see if it looks the same but I know my OEM cables have rubber sleeves over the cable where yours is exposed. I dunno about FRPP, they really have kind of gone down the tubes from what they were years ago. Ever since FMS went away.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2015, 03:02 PM   #37
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
FRPP is not OEM tho... you can look on the MM site and see if it looks the same but I know my OEM cables have rubber sleeves over the cable where yours is exposed. I dunno about FRPP, they really have kind of gone down the tubes from what they were years ago. Ever since FMS went away.

Yeah not OEM, but it is a Ford Racing brand. I've never had them side by side to compare. I want the MM setup anyways. I like their products and of course the cable is great. But we all know the real reason...I don't want to have to crawl under the car to adjust lol.

IG: @azurebluemach
Old 03-24-2015, 05:18 PM   #38
Staff
Regular
Staff

The MM adjuster is nice but nothing beats the fiore in that arena, nothing. No set screw, it just clicks and stays put. It's pricey but worth it.

The MM quadrant, on the other hand, is easily the best quadrant I've used and exactly mimics the stock quadrant feel as well as it does not put a "kink" on the cable like almost every other quadrant. You can read about it on the MM site as well as how the oem cables are different. The fiore quadrant I had... That actually sucked...

Sent from my VS985 4G using Mustang Evolution mobile app

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2015, 11:29 AM   #39
Registered Member
Regular

Okay sorry guys , my buddy decided to just leave it adjusted that 1 click, it keeps the noise away, and the clutch is smooth and grabs great. BUTTT my new clutch install, at 900 miles, is chirping like a mofo at idle and low rpm cruising. Had it all replaced, clutch, flywheel, TOB, pilot bearing, clutch fork, and pivot arm. And of course I get a whole whopping 900 miles of quiet clutch, F this car lol. My old TOB chirped from almost the day I bought it at 103k until it bit the dust at 147k..

"I don't drive fast, I fly low"
Old 03-28-2015, 05:48 PM   #40
Staff
Regular
Staff

What sort of TOB was it? Almost every TOB is going to be problematic unless it is an OEM or a McCleod in my experience.

And yeah sometimes you do have to put a little pressure on them to quiet them down. The last one I did the TOB would squeak a little when it was just touching the fingers and spinning at idle. 2 or 3 more clicks tighter and it was dead silent and nice pedal feel.

Old 04-01-2015, 08:25 AM   #41
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
What sort of TOB was it? Almost every TOB is going to be problematic unless it is an OEM or a McCleod in my experience.

And yeah sometimes you do have to put a little pressure on them to quiet them down. The last one I did the TOB would squeak a little when it was just touching the fingers and spinning at idle. 2 or 3 more clicks tighter and it was dead silent and nice pedal feel.
I told the shop to get an OEM ford TOB, they very well could have used the one that came in the the luk kit for all I know..I'm bringing it back to the shop either tomorrow or friday, but now the chirp is a bit weird, it doesn't seem to chirp at idle, only seems to chirp when I'm cruising between 1500-2000 rpm. Im sure the shop is going to mess with the adjustment, I'm sure I'll get it back with the chirp gone, but my guess is that since I have the stock quadrant, and no firewall adjuster, the chirp will eventually return, which leads me to believe I'll have to end up getting the MM kit regardless.

Old 04-01-2015, 09:47 AM   #42
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
Damn TOBs lol. Theres got to be a better way of doing it than what we have right now.
Panther140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 10:01 AM   #43
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
Ive got an idea for a bearing that doesnt rely on steel or ceramic rollers. instead of the rollers keeping the space, it would just be hydraulic fluid or an oil of some sort inside like ATF. It would be sealed off. So instead of the 2 housings on the bearing rolling across the steel rollers, they would be pushing against hydraulic fluid and spinning on the surface of the fluid

In this picture, instead of the ball bearings allowing the two halfs of the housings to rotate at different speeds/directions, there would just be a fluid inside acting as the rolling element. Then there would be a seal between the two housings to keep the fluid in. The seal would be like a rubber crankshaft seal, but it wouldnt even take a lateral load, because the oil contained inside would be providing the opposing forces that keep the housings seperate. Hell, you could even throw some steel rollers in there just as an emergency backup. I think this would work well in a situation like TOB where the load doesnt have to be dynamic or axial in any way

http://www.globalspec.com/ImageRepos...f6b93c7d57.png
Panther140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 03:39 PM   #44
Staff
Regular
Staff

Shop probably used the Luk TOB. I hate shops...

Yet another reason to get an older car I know how to work on instead of a new one...

Old 04-02-2015, 06:37 PM   #45
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Shop probably used the Luk TOB. I hate shops...

Yet another reason to get an older car I know how to work on instead of a new one...
Yep thats what im figuring. like i said im sure theyll adjust it for the noise to dissapear as im sure the last thing any shop wants to do is drop the tranny again, but i know it will come back...and now I don't have the knowledge nor tools to just be swapping TOBs when they chirp..now I'm also a bit worried if I buy the MM kit and properly adjust it to the fingers, the TOB is already half shot from the the past 1k miles of it chirping, the F'in thing has 1500 miles on it arghh...I also have a family gathering this Sunday about 100 miles each way and im forced to take the stang

Old 04-03-2015, 09:55 AM   #46
Registered Member
Regular

Bit of an update. So I brought the car back to the shop that did the install, after explaining to the tech, he said that it sounds like nothing an adjustment is going to take care of, and most likely they'll need to drop the trans and check it out. He even said it sounds as if your TOB is tickling the PP fingers and he would want to check out the TOB first off. Well being easter weekend I couldnt leave it all weekend. Its going in Monday, hopefully they tear that POS TOB out of there and throw in a ford OEM.

Old 04-03-2015, 10:03 AM   #47
Staff
Regular
Staff

Ask to go in there and actually watch them. You might learn a thing or two also.

Old 06-12-2015, 03:26 AM   #48

Region: Washington
Quote:
You nailed it this is exactly what is happening. The TOB is designed to be preloaded and spinning at all times. It is NOT meant to be preloaded to the point of being so tight the clutch is getting ready to engage but if your buddy has the stock quadrant it will properly preload it. I would just tell him to roll with it now that the noise is gone.
Was reading this thread because I have exact same issue...

2004 mustang coupe, manual 5 speed 3.9L V6 with 61,000 miles on it... stock everything.

I started hearing this Chirping noise at idle and while driving (under 2500rpm's... above 2500rpm's the chirping stops) when clutch is fully engaged (foot OFF the clutch) about 2-3 days ago. (almost immediately after draining and refilling with new transmission fluid... thought I was doing a GOOD thing! LOL)

I took my car to mechanic... he said... "When you start hearing that chirping noise, the throw out bearing is technically BAD already, and is only a matter of time before it seizes up."

After reading this thread... I learned to adjust the cable... pressing in the clutch with 1 hand, and slowly releasing the clutch while holding the quadrant with the other hand until it clicks.

It took 3 clicks initially to silence the chirping...

I took it out for about a 10 mile test drive, both in town and highway speeds...

Right away I noticed 2 things...
1. the clutch pedal engagement was a bit higher than normal. (clutch comes up a bit higher before car starts moving.)
2. there is absolutely no play in the clutch pedal... when my foot is off the clutch... it is held tightly in the highest position.

I got it back home from my test drive...

1. chirping noise at idle came back... Mildly... but it was back.
2. play in the clutch pedal came back slightly

So.. I adjusted the clutch cable with 1 more click (4 clicks total now)... and the chirping is now silenced again... and play in clutch pedal disappeared again also.

I drove it up and down my driveway a few more times... chirping is still silenced... and I parked it for the night.

Above in post #11 ... Scotty says... "roll with it now that the noise is gone."

I guess my questions are...

1. Will this cause the throw out bearing to fail sooner now?

2. Is the throw out bearing already technically BAD when it starts chirping like that... like the mechanic said?

3. Will this adjustment do more harm while driving it rather than parking it until I can replace with a new clutch kit?

4. Will the chirping (and clutch play) just keep coming back over and over?

There is no loss of power, shifting is smooth, power-shifting (without clutch) is smooth, no funny smells, idle is normal and chirping is silenced.

I tried to be as specific as possible here...

Anyways... let me know what you think!
Thank You
Dan
1life1fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 07:39 AM   #49
Staff
Regular
Staff

If its silent now you are fine. Dude didn't know what he was talking about. These bearings can chirp if they are NEW if there is not enough preload on the cable. Which is what probably was happening in your case. I know with my 98 the brand new TOB chirped until I got 3 or 4 clicks of preload on my firewall adjuster, then dead silent.

Old 06-12-2015, 03:47 PM   #50

Thanks for your reply,

This makes me feel better.

I'll give it another test drive tonight to see how things go.

If the chirping starts again...

Is it safe to adjust it another click if necessary to preload it again?

Thanks Scotty,
Dan
Old 06-13-2015, 02:30 AM   #51
Registered Member
Regular

Mine does this. Sounds like a dang cricket lmao. I hate it.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
joe_117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 01:10 AM   #52

Quote:
If its silent now you are fine. Dude didn't know what he was talking about. These bearings can chirp if they are NEW if there is not enough preload on the cable. Which is what probably was happening in your case. I know with my 98 the brand new TOB chirped until I got 3 or 4 clicks of preload on my firewall adjuster, then dead silent.
So...

After driving around a few times over the past 2 days...

Remember initially the very first time in the car's history... I adjusted the clutch cable 4 clicks to silence the TOB chirping.

What I've noticed over the past few days...

The clutch cable seems to "Revert" or "Re-Adjust" itself back to the TOB chirping ways.

Then... I have to do the same manual clutch cable adjustment all over again to, once again 3-4 clicks... to silence the TOB chirping.

This sequence seems to keep happening... I adjust it... then casually drive it around town... then soon the TOB chirping starts happening all over again.

Then I have to manually adjust the clutch cable by hand 3-4 clicks to get it to silence again...

How can I get it adjusted to silence the TOB chirping once and for all?

By the way... Thank you for your time... much appreciated!
Old 06-14-2015, 01:07 PM   #53
Staff
Regular
Staff

Buy a firewall adjuster and aftermarket quadrant. I recommend the Max Motorsports quadrant and the Fiore micro-click adjuster. If your cable is really old I'd replace that too, must replace with an OEM or Max Motorsports. NEVER use a parts store or "aftermarket" cable. Max Motorsports gets the cables from the same place that supplies OEM.

Old 06-18-2015, 04:21 AM   #54

Quote:
Buy a firewall adjuster and aftermarket quadrant. I recommend the Max Motorsports quadrant and the Fiore micro-click adjuster. If your cable is really old I'd replace that too, must replace with an OEM or Max Motorsports. NEVER use a parts store or "aftermarket" cable. Max Motorsports gets the cables from the same place that supplies OEM.
Okay I'm back to this thread...

About a week ago... Throw out bearing started chirping out the blue...

The first 3 or 4 times after adjusting the stock quadrant clutch cable (2004 mustang coupe anniversary edition 3.9L V6 with 61K miles on it)... the clutch seemed to revert/re-adjust itself back to no-preload and I'd have to adjust it again.

The 5th time I adjusted (4 clicks) was about 4 days ago...

And it has NOT re-adjusted itself back.

The (5th) stock clutch cable quadrant adjustment seems to be holding the pre-load on the TOB now.

So, TOB is still silent. (Nice!!)

1. The clutch still must be let out to a higher position in order to get the car moving. (compared to before I adjusted.)

2. There is no play at all when clutch is released. (the clutch is held tightly in the highest position.) I can rest my foot on the clutch pedal and it does not move downward at all until I press it in myself. (unlike before the adjustment)

As long as these 2 factors are not damaging my transmission/clutch... I don't mind.

Does all this sound about right after adjustment?

Anything else I need to deal with or worry about in this situation?

Thank you for your time.
Old 06-18-2015, 08:00 AM   #55
Staff
Regular
Staff

What you are describing is a correct factory setup.

Old 06-18-2015, 11:29 AM   #56

Quote:
What you are describing is a correct factory setup.
Amazing! I actually fixed something!

I'm SO thankful for this forum thread!

I just finished doing all the routine maintenance... oil change, new tranny fluid, new rear diff fluid, new brake fluid, new power steering fluid, brand new coolant, new fuel filter...

Difference is night and day after all that!

Thank You!
Old 06-18-2015, 01:36 PM   #57
Staff
Regular
Staff

Good deal.

Old 08-26-2015, 01:32 AM   #58
Registered Member
Regular

So does anyone know the solution to stopping the chirp noise. It is seriously on my last nerve and i want rid of it.

Do i buy a spring? Firewall adjuster? Or adjust my clutch? Someone let me know please.

Old 08-26-2015, 06:44 AM   #59
Staff
Regular
Staff

Read the thread. If your cable is still good you buy a firewall adjuster (click style) and a good quadrant (MM). Tighten the cable to properly preload the TOB. Under no circumstances should you ever install a spring anywhere in the clutch system.

Old 08-26-2015, 10:59 AM   #60
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Read the thread. If your cable is still good you buy a firewall adjuster (click style) and a good quadrant (MM). Tighten the cable to properly preload the TOB. Under no circumstances should you ever install a spring anywhere in the clutch system.

Oh yea i installed a new cable, everything. Is started like a week after i replaced my TOB

Old 08-26-2015, 11:13 AM   #61
Registered Member
Regular

I just saw where they showed the link about the spring where you can get it at lowes

Old 08-26-2015, 11:37 AM   #62
Staff
Regular
Staff

Yep that's called a free play kit and it's a very very bad idea to run one. I myself fell for that BS at one point.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

Old 08-26-2015, 04:41 PM   #63
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yep that's called a free play kit and it's a very very bad idea to run one. I myself fell for that BS at one point.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

Well thank you for the vivid answer! I was getting confused on the thread! Il hopefully buy what i need soon!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT