Ever been stranded by your 'stang? - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-31-2015, 09:16 PM   #36
Registered Member
Regular
 
Panther140's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: xxx
Region: Other
Posts: 1,473
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
So you carbed your car because you think the stock EFI is too much of a pain in the *** but you are suggesting someone else go with Megasquirt????
If you are going to have EFI, might as well go megasquirt. At least its worth a **** unlike stock ECUs that are only good for throwing a ****ing PATS code for no apparent reason
Panther140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-31-2015, 09:19 PM   #37
Registered Member
Regular
 
CandymanGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 72
Carb tech has progressed a ton dude. You easily equal the performance and MPG of EFI with a carb these days it's just whichever your more comfortable with.


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
CandymanGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 09:20 PM   #38
Registered Member
Regular
 
Panther140's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: xxx
Region: Other
Posts: 1,473
Quote:
Originally Posted by CandymanGT View Post
Carb tech has progressed a ton dude. You easily equal the performance and MPG of EFI with a carb these days it's just whichever your more comfortable with.


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Finally somebody on here that isn't brainwashed by the car salesmen lol.

All things being equal, carbs make more power than port injected EFI. Same intake and ignition timing and Afr, carb almost always makes more power.

Notice I said same afr, people. Any time EFI makes more power than a carb, its because the carb was tuned wrong. Its the only way. Basic physics and logic would tell you that, so do Dynos
Panther140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-31-2015, 09:52 PM   #39
Registered Member

Regular
 
Recon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Hopkinsville
Region: Kentucky
Posts: 6,530
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther140 View Post
Yeah because nobody is manly anymore and EFI is for lil girls.



They're also overwhelmingly front wheel drive and automatic transmission with dinky little engines. Is that also "theres a reason"?

Ok, carbureted equals manly...
So being I've got 3 carbureted car I'm 3x manly and being that my 5 other cars a fuel injected I'm 5x a lil girl, right that makes perfect sense...
And yes FWD autos are very common because for one they're cheaper to make that way. Which they've made FWD autos back in the 60s as well. The manual is being phased out double clutch paddle shift autos will shift quicker/better than anyone can with a manual, I don't like it but it's true.
Just face it carburetors aren't coming back...
If want to reply you can but I'm not starting/participating an argument over carbs and autos...


Adventure till you drop
__________________
Mustangalley.com
Mustang of the day,
July 12, 2015
Recon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 10:06 PM   #40
Registered Member
Regular
 
Panther140's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: xxx
Region: Other
Posts: 1,473
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Recon View Post
Ok, carbureted equals manly...
So being I've got 3 carbureted car I'm 3x manly and being that my 5 other cars a fuel injected I'm 5x a lil girl, right that makes perfect sense...
And yes FWD autos are very common because for one they're cheaper to make that way. Which they've made FWD autos back in the 60s as well. The manual is being phased out double clutch paddle shift autos will shift quicker/better than anyone can with a manual, I don't like it but it's true.
Just face it carburetors aren't coming back...
If want to reply you can but I'm not starting/participating an argument over carbs and autos...


Adventure till you drop
Yeah carbs arent coming back, I know that. All im saying is EFI is not better at absolutely everything. And I think carburetors are a good thing to look into for about half of car enthusiasts
Panther140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 10:07 AM   #41
ME Bloodhound
Staff
 
Soccerluvr4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Sacramento/Bay Area
Region: California
Posts: 14,672
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther140 View Post
Yeah carbs arent coming back, I know that. All im saying is EFI is not better at absolutely everything. And I think carburetors are a good thing to look into for about half of car enthusiasts

I'm not a huge fan of Carbs. I'm young so I never grew up around them. Just EFI. But I would love to do ITBs on a car


Bullitts are better than Bullets
__________________

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 10:20 AM   #42
Registered Member
Regular
 
Panther140's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: xxx
Region: Other
Posts: 1,473
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
I'm not a huge fan of Carbs. I'm young so I never grew up around them. Just EFI. But I would love to do ITBs on a car


Bullitts are better than Bullets
it would not be hard at all. Get some cheap motorcycle carbs and slap them *****es on there lol. Motorcycle carbs are the absolute easiest way of metering fuel. Literally, Ive seen kindergarteners tune them. 1 throttle slide, 1 needle (in the throttle slide), and 2 circuits. No flaps or any of that ****. I could probably make one out of a couple pop cans if I had to

bodiesandcarbs.jpg Photo by escortrs2300 | Photobucket
Panther140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 01:06 PM   #43
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Salinas
Region: California
Posts: 7,418
The reason that there are no carburetors on vehicles anymore is because of the ever-tightening government regulations regarding emissions and fuel economy standards.
It's much easier for the manufacturers to tune the engines, with EFI, to be able to comply.
Without modern electronic engine management controls, factory vehicles would likely still be at 1980's power levels.
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 01:12 PM   #44
Registered Member
Regular
 
Panther140's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: xxx
Region: Other
Posts: 1,473
Quote:
Originally Posted by straybullitt View Post
The reason that there are no carburetors on vehicles anymore is because of the ever-tightening government regulations regarding emissions and fuel economy standards.
It's much easier for the manufacturers to tune the engines, with EFI, to be able to comply.
Without modern electronic engine management controls, factory vehicles would likely still be at 1980's power levels.
The fuel metering system used today is not the reason we have more power. We have more power because we have better flowing engines with precise timing.

The only reason EFI ever gets better mpg is because most people cant tune a carb to run the right afr, whereas efi adjust itself.

When a carb is running the right air:fuel ratio, it always makes more power than port efi
Panther140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 01:31 PM   #45
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Salinas
Region: California
Posts: 7,418
Most people can't do it because it is practically impossible to tune a carburetor for the ENTIRE RPM range.

The government is controlling the means of production Panther...
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 07:42 PM   #46
Registered Member
Regular
 
Steve96's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Waterford
Region: Michigan
Posts: 2,386
Quote:
Originally Posted by straybullitt View Post
It would be helpful to check for codes, but if you are disconnecting the battery, they are being cleared.
Yes. If you have a 19 year old alternator, you should definitely have it tested!
And PATS can be disabled through a tuner.
Thank you for the info. I will have my alt checked and look into a tuner then for the PATS issue. I'm not sure which tuner I will go with as It's a 96 GT and I won't get a ton of power anyway without a PI swap. Just want to be able to drive it without worrying about PATS.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
__________________
1996 GT
2003 GT
Follow on Instagram @manicmustangs
Follow on Instagram @steviesstangs
15% off waxgods.com use code: manic15
10% off toplabel.com use code: Manic10
Steve96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 09:55 PM   #47
Registered Member
Regular
 
Panther140's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: xxx
Region: Other
Posts: 1,473
Quote:
Originally Posted by straybullitt View Post
Most people can't do it because it is practically impossible to tune a carburetor for the ENTIRE RPM range.

The government is controlling the means of production Panther...
Yeah Im pretty sure big manufacturers arent even allowed to use carbs anymore on cars. Thats why I think its only for car enthusiasts. and only like half of car enthusiasts, because EFI does indeed have its strengths.
Panther140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 10:45 PM   #48
Registered Member
Regular
 
CandymanGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 72
Also a large reason EFI is the standard now is the ability to do things like run a super lean mixture when cruising and change that to a more wet mixture when accelerating. This allows you to make excellent power when you need it and be much nicer to your MPGs when you don't. But yes, the swirl is better on a carb engine and therefore more power is able to be utilized due to a more complete burn.


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
CandymanGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 10:54 PM   #49
ME Bloodhound
Staff
 
Soccerluvr4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Sacramento/Bay Area
Region: California
Posts: 14,672
With EFI you do everything on a computer and can mass upload it to the production cars. Something you can't do with a carb


Bullitts are better than Bullets
__________________

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 10:54 PM   #50
Registered Member

Regular
 
Recon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Hopkinsville
Region: Kentucky
Posts: 6,530
Ever been stranded by your 'stang?

A twin plug system would help too...
But if I drag raced my car would definitely have a carb(s) on it, maybe a bigass edelbrock or a Holley, maybe a demon...
But for classics I'm all for carbs unless the car came with a fuelie like the corvettes and bel airs...
Someone told me to put a modern 392 in my 70 dodge T/A and quickly threw that idea out the window, don't care much for classics with modern engines, now the hellcat engine I might...


Adventure till you drop
__________________
Mustangalley.com
Mustang of the day,
July 12, 2015
Recon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 12:35 AM   #51
Registered Member
Regular
 
Panther140's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: xxx
Region: Other
Posts: 1,473
Quote:
Originally Posted by CandymanGT View Post
Also a large reason EFI is the standard now is the ability to do things like run a super lean mixture when cruising and change that to a more wet mixture when accelerating. This allows you to make excellent power when you need it and be much nicer to your MPGs when you don't. But yes, the swirl is better on a carb engine and therefore more power is able to be utilized due to a more complete burn.


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
yeah that is true they can adjust to driving conditions really well.

Still though, I feel like they could have figured out a way to do that with a carb if somebody brainy enough sat down and really tried. Sort of the concept of the vacuum secondary flaps that open up under heavy load in a 4 barrel carb, but take it a step farther and have a set of vacuum operated flaps that interrupt a secondary circuit that feeds into the boosters over the primary flaps. So when the engine is not under load, it runs at 15:1, moderate load would cause more vacuum and open up another circuit and let it run at 14:1 and then under heavy load the secondaries open up and feed the thing 13.5:1 (most optimal afr for power).

Carburetor technology has not really changed recently. They could have done better with them
Panther140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 12:37 AM   #52
Registered Member
Regular
 
Panther140's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: xxx
Region: Other
Posts: 1,473
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Recon View Post
A twin plug system would help too...
But if I drag raced my car would definitely have a carb(s) on it, maybe a bigass edelbrock or a Holley, maybe a demon...
But for classics I'm all for carbs unless the car came with a fuelie like the corvettes and bel airs...
Someone told me to put a modern 392 in my 70 dodge T/A and quickly threw that idea out the window, don't care much for classics with modern engines, now the hellcat engine I might...


Adventure till you drop
yeah I agree about keeping it old school. But I think as long as the engine is push rod and doesnt have things like cylinder on demand, or vvt, efi, or things like that, then its okay to put into an older car. Technically, they could have designed an engine just like the iron block 5.3 vortec using the technology that they had back in the day
Panther140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Any DDs stranded? Pretty good storm. Yuckooo13 Pictures and Videos 15 02-25-2013 06:38 PM
Best Commercial Ever. Ever. Ever. Brent The Bar 17 12-19-2008 08:28 PM
STRANDED! 3 feet of damn snow.... SpectorV The Bar 30 02-16-2007 03:47 PM
Stranded wiarumas The Bar 10 01-24-2007 09:50 PM

» Like Us On Facebook



07:12 AM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.