Ever been stranded by your 'stang? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-24-2015, 09:35 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
Ever been stranded by your 'stang?

Im just wondering how many of you have been stranded in your mustang, and what caused it. I have been stranded in my mustang one time and it was an EFI problem. Actually, the only reason I have been stranded in ANY car was related to EFI, either computer throwing a fit or the fuel pump going to **** and not letting it run at all.

This isnt counting things that I was able to make it home with like a bad TOB or an engine knock

EFI computer problems causing me to be stranded - 4
EFI fuel pump probs causing stranded situation - 1
Dead battery - 2 but does that count?
Panther140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2015, 10:14 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther140 View Post
Im just wondering how many of you have been stranded in your mustang, and what caused it. I have been stranded in my mustang one time and it was an EFI problem. Actually, the only reason I have been stranded in ANY car was related to EFI, either computer throwing a fit or the fuel pump going to **** and not letting it run at all.

This isnt counting things that I was able to make it home with like a bad TOB or an engine knock

EFI computer problems causing me to be stranded - 4
EFI fuel pump probs causing stranded situation - 1
Dead battery - 2 but does that count?

Alternator almost left me stranded.

I was able to get a new battery and it started up enough to get me home.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
alecas447 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 10:46 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Alternator left me stranded on the side of a road about 2 miles from my home, a cop helped me push it to the side in a legal parking zone. Following day I woke up, had a buddy take me to auto zone, and swapped my alternator on the side of the road in 10 minutes...my TOB also went out on me, but luckily as I was pulling in my driveway .

02 GT
2013 Feb MOTM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2015, 10:55 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8pony View Post
Alternator left me stranded on the side of a road about 2 miles from my home, a cop helped me push it to the side in a legal parking zone. Following day I woke up, had a buddy take me to auto zone, and swapped my alternator on the side of the road in 10 minutes...my TOB also went out on me, but luckily as I was pulling in my driveway .

02 GT
2013 Feb MOTM

Same happened to me with TOB except it when out as I was getting home and parking lol

alecas447 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 10:59 AM   #5
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
Not a Stang but my last rental car left me stranded twice.....
Old 03-24-2015, 11:13 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mexico
My '74 Mustang left me stranded one morning. It was about 15 degrees out and the car was acting up so I revved it a few times and the result was about two-thirds of the teeth on the cam gear stripped off and fell into the oil pan. I was a quarter mile from home so I went home and drove me Chevelle to school that day. It also overheated on me once so I just puched the pedal to the floor until it quit. Came back an hour later and it cranked up and ran long enough to drive 5 miles home and park it in the driveway. Sold it as it was. Probably a head gasket, who knows.
2014SGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 11:14 AM   #7
Road Trip!
Regular

Region: Arizona
Yes 😒 literally 2 days after i got the car on my way to work the battery light came on and my battery needle just dropped. I made it to some snobby rich neighborhood where i could see everyone looking at me from their window. I somehow managed to turn it on and limped it to a near by park. I got the battery recharged and made it home. I guess the alternator decided to say **** you and died on the spot. The other time i wasn't stranded but i chose not to drive it because it idled really bad that it scared me
Good unforgettable times
Funny how these alternators decide to quit
Joser714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 11:17 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arkansas
My alternator went out once, so I bought a new one and the new one was bad and tested out fine. Orielley's wouldn't take it back so I bought another one and it ended up fixing the problem. It was a pain in the butt weekend.

2004 Mustang GT 5 Speed Full Bolt On 370rwhp 440rwtq
12.1 @ 117.9 (1.7) in 1/4th
7.6 @ 92.1 (1.6) in 1/8th
Speed_Mister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 11:26 AM   #9
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
Nope never stranded. Only real issue is the battery went out. but I was at home.

Bullitts are better than Bullets

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 11:39 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Distributor went out in my '72. Was coming down a bridge and it shut off. That was the ride of a lifetime...

Old 03-24-2015, 12:09 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Blew the #1 Spark plug out on my 2000 GT Thank goodness for AAA and only a few miles from home!
Jbone007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 12:38 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

A plastic tee on one of my coolant lines broke one night, and by the time that I realized what was going on, most of the coolant was lost. I was able to repair the leak well enough to hold pressure, but I only had about a half of a bottle of drinking water! And I was in the middle of nowhere with no cell phone service!
I let the engine cool completely down for a couple of hours and then drove the car about ten miles to the nearest gas station, where I again waited for the engine to cool off before filling the radiator with water and continuing on my way.

That was a long night!
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 07:49 AM   #13
Staff
Regular
Staff

Yep, PIP in the distributor on my Cobra went out and burnt the coil, had to get flatbedded home. On one of my foxes, ****ing B&M shifter got stuck in 5th gear and I had to walk back on base to get my allen wrenches to rip the ****er out and re-install the stock shifter, then some ******* backed into me in the parking lot... that was a good night.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 10:09 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Not my mustang but my built Honda prelude in Cali. I went on leave and had my buddy drop me off at the airport in San Diego. Leave went great and came back and he picked me up all fine and dandy. A couple days later I lost oil pressure on the 78 coming off the I-15 from Escondido. I shut off the engine and coasted down the road as far as I could and had to push it up the overpass and then down the other side to a good will drop off and get towed from there. I bent a rod and subsequently broke a timing belt and smashed the valves because my buddy knocked a hole in the oil pan in San Diego after dropping me off. The oil pressure light didn't come on until it was too late. Ruined a $12k motor.

Sent from the mothership.
Slater2111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 12:08 PM   #15
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Region: Indiana
In my Mach, the battery died at a Starbucks. It wouldn't start after I walked in and purchased a quad venti mocha lol. At least I had something to drink while I waited for my wife to bring me the car. She stayed with my baby while I bought a new battery. Such a good wife.

Good wife part 2...
In my old 88 GT, I blew a hose feeding the heater core after a real nice pull amongst the corn out on the county roads lol. The restrictor moved kinda pushed against the heater core inlet, then the clamp popped off. My wife delivered some tools and a handfull of clamps I kept laying for just such an occasion. I moved the restrictor back in place and put a clamp over it, then reconnected the hose and put a new clamp on it. Those worm gear clamps can ruin a radiator hose pretty quick, but all was good. Best wifey ever.
Old 03-25-2015, 04:42 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Ever been stranded by your stang?

Ran out of gas. Turned out my fuel gauge wasn't working properly. But that's the only problem I've ever had.

40th Anniversary GT
Old 03-25-2015, 10:16 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
I have never been stranded, almost once. My rear caliper locked up after putting new brake pads on. I was able to get it home, but it was red HOT!!

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Follow on Instagram @steviesstangs
15% off waxgods.com use code: manic15
10% off toplabel.com use code: Manic10
Steve96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 11:03 PM   #18
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Kentucky

Nope, but don't drive it very much, so...

Adventure till you drop
Recon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 02:04 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Not a mustang but still a ford:

My GF's mountaineer just experienced a fuel pump failure. her dad took it to the mechanic and he paid them $900 for a fuel pump replacement!!!!!!!!!!!!! I just about had a cow when she told me how much that costs. I felt really bad so I didnt say anything, but I just got a new engine in my car for $400 lmao
Old 03-30-2015, 10:56 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

So no **** there I was, in my previous stang out on a date with my girlfriend at the time. Just starting to head home from Pismo, CA when all of the sudden my lights start flickering, I've got no power steering, cars moving but died at idle. I had just bought the thing like a week before and had a AAA 100 point inspection done before I bought it so I was a bit perturbed. I was still pretty new to doing anything with it. Fire it up and limp it to the closest place with a parking lot which happened to be a pretty lovely little wine bar (can't remember the name) and during that little jaunt I notice my voltage is near nonexistent. Park it, pop the hood to see what's what. Like I said still pretty new to making sense of things under the hood but luckily my problem was super easy to spot, my belt shredded... A belt that I had noticed was a little on the worn side but the AAA inspection said it was all good so I didn't replace it.

So I ended up having to call a buddy to bring me a belt. He was about an hour to an hour and a half away and a little busy at the time so the GF and I decided well, I could use a drink and sat down to listen to some live music and have some wine while we wait. Buddy showed up and luckily I had my half inch drive ratchet in the trunk and I go about putting on the new belt, fired right up no problem. Having only had a glass or two of wine and plenty of time to let it leave my system we drive home.

Long story short never using that shop ever again.

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
CandymanGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 11:36 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by CandymanGT View Post
So no **** there I was, in my previous stang out on a date with my girlfriend at the time. Just starting to head home from Pismo, CA when all of the sudden my lights start flickering, I've got no power steering, cars moving but died at idle. I had just bought the thing like a week before and had a AAA 100 point inspection done before I bought it so I was a bit perturbed. I was still pretty new to doing anything with it. Fire it up and limp it to the closest place with a parking lot which happened to be a pretty lovely little wine bar (can't remember the name) and during that little jaunt I notice my voltage is near nonexistent. Park it, pop the hood to see what's what. Like I said still pretty new to making sense of things under the hood but luckily my problem was super easy to spot, my belt shredded... A belt that I had noticed was a little on the worn side but the AAA inspection said it was all good so I didn't replace it.

So I ended up having to call a buddy to bring me a belt. He was about an hour to an hour and a half away and a little busy at the time so the GF and I decided well, I could use a drink and sat down to listen to some live music and have some wine while we wait. Buddy showed up and luckily I had my half inch drive ratchet in the trunk and I go about putting on the new belt, fired right up no problem. Having only had a glass or two of wine and plenty of time to let it leave my system we drive home.

Long story short never using that shop ever again.

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
On date in mustang + go to wine bar + fix mustang in parking lot in front of GF = you totally got some that night
Old 03-31-2015, 12:49 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Oh yes, yes I did. I also found outs its very hard to drive with a horny tipsy GF in the car... Lol

CandymanGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 01:36 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
So I spoke on this thread too soon! Dreaded PATS issue has started on my 96. Got stuck with my 7 yr old after filling up the other day. Theft light flashing and then would shut off after a couple seconds. This happened a few months ago and all I did was unhook the battery for a few minutes and it was fine up until now. So I unhooked the battery again this time and no luck, tried it several times but no luck. Called for a tow, decided to try again and of course it started. Called and canceled the tow and took it home. Have started it now several times an no issue but I'm afraid to drive it anywhere now of course. I know one time doing the battery trick won't work I'm sure and I'll be really stranded. Anyone have any ideas how to fix this for good? I know panther will say a carburetor but I don't want to go that route, lol. But really what are the steps in diagnosing this and fixing it? My 96 has the original alternator, could this failing cause this issue as I know it can make your car do some weird stuff electrically? It does not show any other signs of needing a new alternator though. I guess I will start my Google searches. Thanks for any info on this issue.

Follow on Instagram @steviesstangs
15% off waxgods.com use code: manic15
10% off toplabel.com use code: Manic10
Steve96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 08:09 AM   #24
Road Trip!
Regular

Region: Arizona
Can a tune bypass that?
Joser714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 10:05 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve96 View Post
So I spoke on this thread too soon! Dreaded PATS issue has started on my 96. Got stuck with my 7 yr old after filling up the other day. Theft light flashing and then would shut off after a couple seconds. This happened a few months ago and all I did was unhook the battery for a few minutes and it was fine up until now. So I unhooked the battery again this time and no luck, tried it several times but no luck. Called for a tow, decided to try again and of course it started. Called and canceled the tow and took it home. Have started it now several times an no issue but I'm afraid to drive it anywhere now of course. I know one time doing the battery trick won't work I'm sure and I'll be really stranded. Anyone have any ideas how to fix this for good? I know panther will say a carburetor but I don't want to go that route, lol. But really what are the steps in diagnosing this and fixing it? My 96 has the original alternator, could this failing cause this issue as I know it can make your car do some weird stuff electrically? It does not show any other signs of needing a new alternator though. I guess I will start my Google searches. Thanks for any info on this issue.

You could get a megajolt to control the ignition and then get a megasquirt ecu to control the EFI.

No stupid ****ing OEM computer programmer bull **** in those ECUs
Old 03-31-2015, 10:07 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joser714 View Post
Can a tune bypass that?
Maybe, I guess. You could almost buy a megasquirt ECU for the price of a tune though and then you would have a much better ecu
Old 03-31-2015, 11:30 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Yes a good tuner like MPT can turn off your PATS.

Sent from the mothership.
Slater2111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 01:06 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Megasquirt II V3 57 Complete Assembled ECU | eBay
Old 03-31-2015, 01:07 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve96 View Post

It would be helpful to check for codes, but if you are disconnecting the battery, they are being cleared.
Yes. If you have a 19 year old alternator, you should definitely have it tested!
And PATS can be disabled through a tuner.
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 01:21 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

93 5.0 Water pump went out and over heated. One of the pulleys also snapped off while sitting at a red light.

95 water pump went out and over heated. Fuel pump went out on a separate occasion.

98 cobra water pump went out and over heated.

I think water pumps are my kryptonite.

Rollin' in my 5.0
Noodles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 01:28 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
I have been stranded by a transmission failure, and a friend had to get his '14 towed when the PCM completely forgot the crank position reference.

Proving to my fellow racers that the disdain that some GT drivers have for V6 drivers is unfounded, one results archive at a time since 2013.
jande063 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 07:30 PM   #32
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
You could get a megajolt to control the ignition and then get a megasquirt ecu to control the EFI.

No stupid ****ing OEM computer programmer bull **** in those ECUs
Quote:
So you carbed your car because you think the stock EFI is too much of a pain in the *** but you are suggesting someone else go with Megasquirt????
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 07:34 PM   #33
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Kentucky

There's a reason why cars aren't carbureted anymore...

Adventure till you drop
Recon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 09:09 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
Alternator went out, so i drove it till the battery died and i coasted into a lot. Walking home in my navy uniform, a cop going home for the day gave me a ride home. Got my bronco and preceded to play leap frog all the way home with both cars, charging the battery as needed. Lol
The alt was under warrantee so i got it replaced the next day.

irishn8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 09:13 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Recon View Post
There's a reason why cars aren't carbureted anymore...

Adventure till you drop
Yeah because nobody is manly anymore and EFI is for lil girls.

They're also overwhelmingly front wheel drive and automatic transmission with dinky little engines. Is that also "theres a reason"?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT