Just ran a carfax on my 96, wow. - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-25-2015, 09:33 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
Just ran a carfax on my 96, wow.

So, I knew the car had been wrecked, and I'd been wanting to run a car fax for a while. Tonight I finally pulled the trigger..

I'm the 9th owner. Car was bought in florida then sold from the original owner in 99(still florida). car REPORTED STOLEN in december of 2000, 9 months later it shows a rebuilt title issued and minor/moderate damage from a front end collision with the title being issued about 10 miles from my current home. After that the car was sold to someone out of town, sold again to someone in my town, sold again to someone out of town, then back to my town, sold to someone out of town again then sold to me(back to my town).

Crazy stuff. Not only do I find out my car was stolen and crashed but that it really likes this town.

Also, where it notes that the car was reported stolen it has this...

"Vehicle reported stolen
Please contact NICB to verify this
vehicle's stolen status
by calling 800-447-6282 x 2
or by completing the NICB web form"

is it at all possible this issue was never resolved? I would think as soon as the vin was ran (when it was retitles in la) after the theft it would raise some flags.
Billgluckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2015, 10:10 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Your car has a very interesting past. I too looked mine up when I got it a few years back. Mine was owned by the original owner until 99- and 17k miles. In 99 it was sold to the second owner in the same county as the original owner. Then that person traded it in to the dealer I bought it from with 32k miles in 2010. Anyway I have Nothing special or cool in the history of mine, lol. Could make a thread about this, as I'm sure there are some crazy histories out there on other members mustang's.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Follow on Instagram @steviesstangs
15% off waxgods.com use code: manic15
10% off toplabel.com use code: Manic10
Steve96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 10:10 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
I could have run that for free! Fascinating history lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
DiESeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2015, 10:52 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Lol well I purchased the 5 carfax deal to check the old stang, a new stang(probable purchase), and a 97 f150 I recently bought with 430k miles. The other 2 didn't have quite the history as the 96.
Old 03-25-2015, 11:09 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
You would have never gotten a title rebuilt or not, unless the status of being stolen had been changed.
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 11:26 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewMtang View Post
You would have never gotten a title rebuilt or not, unless the status of being stolen had been changed.
I would think not. I'm not sure why I'm suppose to contact the ncib. I choose to ignore this.
Old 03-25-2015, 11:46 PM   #7
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billgluckman View Post
I would think not. I'm not sure why I'm suppose to contact the ncib. I choose to ignore this.

I think they just put that on there in case you have questions or concerns. Your good man. You wouldn't be registered and titled if it wasn't cleared up. And I'm not sure if you've been pulled over in your car yet...but the police would have initiated a felony stop and you would have been face down on the ground handcuffed at gunpoint.
oxford5pointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 12:01 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxford5pointoh View Post
I think they just put that on there in case you have questions or concerns. Your good man. You wouldn't be registered and titled if it wasn't cleared up. And I'm not sure if you've been pulled over in your car yet...but the police would have initiated a felony stop and you would have been face down on the ground handcuffed at gunpoint.
I haven't been pulled over in more than 5 years lol (knock on wood)
Old 03-26-2015, 11:11 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
CarFax is not infallible in my experience. I once sold a car to a private party who had run his own CarFax on my car. The report showed the car had been in an accident. We owned if from new for 12 years and it had never ever seen a body shop of any kind.
MGW, Blow Fish, AM Hood Struts
Tinted, Borla Touring AB, ProCal Tune
Full Shelby/Kicker Audio Upgrade
WJBertrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 05:23 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by WJBertrand View Post
CarFax is not infallible in my experience. I once sold a car to a private party who had run his own CarFax on my car. The report showed the car had been in an accident. We owned if from new for 12 years and it had never ever seen a body shop of any kind.
That is the scary part about Carfax, it is not always right. For me, the Carfax was a big part of the reason I purchased my particular Mustang. Report showed owner purchased new in 2004, changed the oil every year at the Ford dealer he purchased from, and drove about 2,000 miles every year. Also showed no accidents or any other issues. This report, and my inspection of car, was why I was willing to pay top dollar ($12,000) when I purchased.

I had wondered why someone who obviously thought the car would be collectible would ever sell. Sadly, I found his old insurance card in the glovebox, googled his name, and found out he had died shortly before car was sold to dealer.

It would really suck to find out Carfax was wrong in my case!
Old 03-27-2015, 06:49 AM   #11
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Carfax is a good tool but it is just a tool. It can be wrong, it can not have info etc... but I think most ppl are aware of that. It is invaluable though in many cases. There is a teal 93 Cobra for sale right now on another forum the dude was trying to sell as "clean title". Someone on the forum chimed in that he thought that it was his old car that had been wrecked and was 99% sure. Well the OP comes in with all sorts of nasty posts about the guy for "calling him a liar/thief" so another person gets the VIN via a PM, runs a carfax and posts the salvage title from out of state. Car was "title washed" and issued a clean title in another state. Yikes...
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 12:21 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Well I know for a fact mine has been wrecked(the 96). Not just from the carfax. Its been one of the best cars I've ever owned so I'm not too afraid of a reconstructed titled if the price is right.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT